PDA

View Full Version : Question on interiorRussian paint and lightening for night

Tempest555
04-11-09, 11:27 PM
2 simple questions I can't seem to find answers for (GOOGLE and search in this forum)

1. Why are Russian sub interiors painted yellow? Even the weapons and control stations in yellow. Is it for better lightening? More restful etc etc.

2. And Russian submarines- before a night surface (for special operations or whatever) do they switch to a red (or some other color) lighting in the interioradjust the eyes (I thought I saw a blue light mod for SH3 hence the question on color.)

TIA.

Hitman
04-12-09, 06:46 AM
1. Why are Russian sub interiors painted yellow? Even the weapons and control stations in yellow. Is it for better lightening? More restful etc etc.

Generally many submarine interiors are painted in a light colour (white, yellow, dim cream) mainly to ensure that the interior light sources are as best used as possible. Clear colours reflect light, while dark ones absorbe it. Hence you would theoretically need less light power (i.e. energy) for the same amount of interior light level. Secondary, clear colours are also used to give a less claustrophobic sensation.

2. And Russian submarines- before a night surface (for special operations or whatever) do they switch to a red (or some other color) lighting in the interioradjust the eyes (I thought I saw a blue light mod for SH3 hence the question on color.)

Yes old diesels had red light, others I can't tell. Probably someone else here will be able to tell. :hmmm:

Bubblehead Nuke
04-12-09, 08:10 AM
MANY studies have been done to link the surrounding colors with moods and productivity. Since you are enclosed in a sewer pipe for weeks/months on end mood is a VERY critical thing to consider.

It is probably no suprise that these colors vary depending on social climates and histories. What is thought of to be soothing in one culture is hideous in another.

On US subs, we used wood paneling (lighter from Electric boat, darker from Newport News) and a pastel green paint. Everywhere you went things were a 'seafoam' green color.

On soviet boats, they seem to consider a cream color to be the best.

As for best use of light? Well, lighting is CHEAP. Most of the critical panals are backlit anyway so you can see the buttons/switches in even a total blackout.

On the red lights:

Red lights more appoximate a dark sorroundings. If you had to go from the bright light of a control room to the bridge, or even to look out the perescope, your eyes have to adjust to the sudden change in light. This takes TIME, By 'rigging for red' you pre-adjust your eyes to the lower light source. Yes, there are fancy sensors and suchto amplify or modify the images but they sometimes 'lose' details in all that processing. Sometimes the BEST thing to look at something with is the MK 1 eyeball. In this case sometimes seconds count.

Tempest555
04-12-09, 12:05 PM
Thanks you both for the time answering my questions.
Reasoning in both posts appear to be sound.
:up: