PDA

View Full Version : Performance of NYGM3.0 + my laptop

padmack
03-28-09, 10:07 AM
I recently assembled SHIII and have patched to NYGM on my old-ish laptop.
Now, by old-ish I mean:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
1.79GHz, 1.0 GB RAM

It is "clean" as i had it rebuilt recently so there really isnt much going on in the background. I test the running by going straight into the library. Whilst looking at the ships, without adjusting view angle; it runs fluidly 20-30fps. Top down; 50-60fps. Sideon, with horizon in back ground; 1fps.
Yes, 1FPS. Thats unplayable so im wondering other than the ingame particle density, texture quality options that really have no impact, is there any other option somewhere I should look at.
Its almost certainly my processor that doesnt have enough balls to cope but SHIII is older if not the same age as this machine so it should be able to handle it. Can I select an alternative resolution? I cannot find any thread regarding this.
Last year I was playing OverFlandersFields, the excellent ww1 add-on for Combat Flight Sim 3 and despite my reservations, it ran perfectly with surprisingly high quality textures. I realise this might be due to the 5 sliders CFS3 has in game that allow tweaks to be made to graphics to suit machines. I still feel I can get better performance from my laptop in NYGM.
I am guessing there are people in here that have older/slower machines/hardware so what advice can I get?

I am eager to hit the open seas again

TheDarkWraith
03-28-09, 10:18 AM
how does it run stock SH3 patched to 1.4b?

padmack
03-28-09, 10:47 AM
Poorly. i tested it before I tried mods. Ubisoft recommends 2000mHz with a minimum of 1300MHZ. My machine reports 1800Mhz. I quite sure is not a mod but is there a featur within the NYGM that allows me to adjust the performance settings or is there a Sh3config? if so where?

Otto Heinzmeir
03-28-09, 12:41 PM
I think I have bad news. In spite of what the recommend specs may state. You really need tons more RAM and a higher CPU. This game just has too many calculations for only 1GB RAM. Also I think most if not all Uber mods use a 16k environment instead of the stock 8k one.

Probably all you can do is try the stock game at no higher than 8 TC and stick to a type IIA and hunt in the AN grids. Don't shoot the messenger.:03: