PDA

View Full Version : SHIII 64bit Vista installation nightmare

silentwayIII
03-24-09, 08:37 PM
Got a new system two days ago with Vista 64 bit OS already installed. I was very worried about whether or not it was going to let me load SHIII even though many of you have sucessfully loaded SHIII. I installed SHIII and got the following error message in a Protection System dialog box :

"This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/NT4.0/2000/XP/Server 2003 only"

Could the version of SHIII I have been playing with for three years be too old?

In setting up for the installation I set up a folder (Games2) to install to. There were no error messages until I tried to start SHIII.

Any help on this is really appreciated!

nikimcbee
03-24-09, 08:57 PM
Is this the starforce or sans starforce version? I have had zero luck installing the starforce version on my vista 64bit.:wah:

-SWCowboy.
03-24-09, 09:01 PM
Is this the starforce or sans starforce version? I have had zero luck installing the starforce version on my vista 64bit.:wah:

x2 - going to the navy exchange tomorrow to get the non-starforce version.

64-bit is nice but it's a PITA to get some programs working... :doh:

silentwayIII
03-25-09, 12:15 AM
nikimcbee:

how can you tell if its the starforce version? If it is where/who can I purchase a non-starforce version?

Seeadler
03-25-09, 05:29 AM
Option 1:

On Vista 64bit you need the 64bit version of the StarForce drivers.
StarForce v5.5 supports both 32 and 64bit, but SHIII uses an older version and you must update the SF drivers first, to do this, use the StarForce update tool.

Instructions from the SF site: http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

The following should be done to update drivers:

Download the zip-archive of the SFUPDATE (http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip) utility.
Unpack the archive and save the sfdrvup.exe file to some folder on a hard disk.
Run sfdrvup.exe.
Follow the displayed instructions

Option 2:

Get the non-StarForce version of SHIII.
Here in Germany we have a SHIII budget version published by "Ak Tronic" with the barcode 4012160344487 at the back cover and this version has no StarForce. AFIK the barcode is the only hint to locate a non-SF version.

Contact
03-25-09, 05:40 AM
Vista itself is an evil thing. Still wondering how come some ppl still into it. If I ever swap my Xp OS I will jump directly over to Win7 :03:

Wolfehunter
03-25-09, 06:45 AM
I have no problem installing SH3 in vista ultimate x64 or windows 7 x64. Dual partition dual boot. Its all how you setup your rig. :03:

iambecomelife
03-25-09, 11:54 PM
I spent the past week tearing apart my machine multiple times due to the same issue. Now, I think the old lady's good to go, thanks to a dual boot. :D

irish1958
03-26-09, 07:16 AM
SHIII works great with Vista 64
Two suggestions
1)get the new, patched, starfarce free DVD ($9.99) and forget about starfarce.
2)read:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=217546 before you install.

mengle
03-26-09, 11:59 AM
SHIII works great with Vista 64
Two suggestions
1)get the new, patched, starfarce free DVD ($9.99) and forget about starfarce.
2)read:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=217546 before you install.

3) turn back to XP like i did :-?

irish1958
03-26-09, 02:09 PM
3) turn back to XP like i did :-?
And, of course, that!:sunny:

Fincuan
03-26-09, 02:49 PM
Really no reason to do what just because of SH3. Except for the Starforce problem, which can easily be solved in a number of ways, it works on Vista and Windows 7 just as well as on XP.

silentwayIII
03-27-09, 01:16 AM
Direct2drive! $9.95 and once it was dl'd (took a long time) it installed and I'm playing my game again. Vista 64 bit on the new system I bought really runs the game well.

Thanks for the advice and support.

SilentwayIII

Castout
04-05-09, 02:49 AM
Vista itself is an evil thing. Still wondering how come some ppl still into it. If I ever swap my Xp OS I will jump directly over to Win7 :03:

Hi Contact, I'm a Vista x64 user and I'm happy with Vista.
It runs fine and I prefer it much more than XP. Well perhaps because I'm already bored to death with XP. I love the UAC, DEP protection, self maintained background services such as periodical disfragmenting and Vista's self healing ability. Imo Vista is much better than XP.

The only problem when running Vista x64 is that some older programs(games) won't work and somehow some games(like Steel Beast Pro PE) perform better in XP than in Vista. That's about my only gripe.
I'm happy with my Vista x64.

Bloomstomb
04-05-09, 10:08 AM
9.95 is worth it just to get rid of starforce.

I am all for protecting games like this and protecting the people who work so hard to develop games like this, but starforce is not the answer.

The very fact that I am now paying 2x for the same game is reason enough.

I love vista 64bit. Sure there are things that I dont like about it, but at the end of the day the problem here is starforce.

FIREWALL
04-05-09, 12:03 PM
The problem isn't Vista 64. :nope:

The problem isn't Starforce. :nope:

The problem is whats occupying the space between the chair and the keyboard. :haha:

Einsman
04-08-09, 07:45 AM
It's very easy.

Vista = Nightmare

No Vista = No nightmare

:D

AVGWarhawk
04-08-09, 07:53 AM
Nothing wrong with Vista. Just takes a tweak or two. Ask Torplexed, once simple click of a button and he was running SH3 on Vista.

Fincuan
04-08-09, 09:03 AM
Yeah, we could rephrase the above:
Vista + RTFM = No nightmare
Vista + no RTFM = Nightmare