PDA

View Full Version : They know we're here?

Loud_Silence
03-21-09, 09:31 PM
What do you do to notice that you've been detected by an enemy submarine or, at least, they know the're not alone? Sometimes when i'm following a sub that is traveling at 15+ knots (they probably haven't detected me moving at ahead 2/3) I ping it to get a fast range reading. But then i look at the DEMON and it slows down, trying to pick me on sonar. They usually are not smart enough to shoot a torpedo automatically on the bearing of the ping. Also, contact speed or course changes are quite difficult to see on the broadband sonar. And on the medium time scale, the most you can see at a glance is that the contact is not moving as it did earlier...
DW's sound profile model is quite complex. Faster doesn't always mean noisier. I've seen kilos moving at 15+ knots near the surface (I don't know why, but traveling on shallow depth, even with the masts lowered and ahead 1/3, is very noisy) cavitating, and i only could see them with the long time scale.

Molon Labe
03-21-09, 10:52 PM
What do you do to notice that you've been detected by an enemy submarine or, at least, they know the're not alone?
Against AI you can usually expect an immediate speed change. Human players also tend to slow down and make a course change.

Sometimes when i'm following a sub that is traveling at 15+ knots (they probably haven't detected me moving at ahead 2/3) I ping it to get a fast range reading. But then i look at the DEMON and it slows down, trying to pick me on sonar. They usually are not smart enough to shoot a torpedo automatically on the bearing of the ping. Also, contact speed or course changes are quite difficult to see on the broadband sonar.
There really isn't any need to look for signs that the enemy has detected you when you already know he's detected you because you pinged him. Also, you can see speed changes immediately at the DEMON station; that's what it's there for.

DW's sound profile model is quite complex. Faster doesn't always mean noisier. I've seen kilos moving at 15+ knots near the surface (I don't know why, but traveling on shallow depth, even with the masts lowered and ahead 1/3, is very noisy) cavitating, and i only could see them with the long time scale. Faster always does mean noisier, other factors being held constant.