PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Indispensible victims

Cohaagen
03-07-09, 02:45 PM
Just putting the feelers out to see if there is interest in modding (and seeing modded) the major Royal Navy warships sunk by U-boats in WWII. It's amazing that we've had four years of SH3 modding without someone doing these!

Some of the most important missing units are:

HMS Ark Royal - the most famous Royal Navy carrier of the war, and one of the most notorious U-boat victims. Sunk in the Med by U-81 in November 1941.

HMS Courageous - sunk by U-29 (Kaleun Otto Schuhart) very early in the Battle of The Atlantic with the loss of over 500 men. This sinking led to the withdrawal of fleet carriers from ASW duties.

HMS Barham - the 33,000-ton Barham was sunk by U-339, commanded by Von Tiesenhausen, while on patrol in the Mediterranean. The subsequent enormous magazine detonation was captured on film in one of the most infamous pieces of footage from the war.

(Von Dos has done an excellent kit-bash of Warspite from the Revenge-class model (not quite the same as the QE-class, despite initial appearances), but the two unmodified ships - Malaya and the aforementioned Barham - as well as the massively upgraded Queen Elizabeth and Valiant, have yet to be tackled.)

I wish I had the skills to be able to scratch-build these ships (and the many missing others) myself, but I'm afraid that is not one of my talents. I do have a large number of the quite difficult-to-find original blueprints (in JPG format) for these ships though, which would be very useful to any potential modders.

So, anyone else interested? Is there a desire to see these buggers in the game?

panzerschutze12ss
03-07-09, 03:03 PM
I think these would be a great addition to this already great sim. The Ark Royal and Corrages should be a must. Then scripted into the campain and you can be the Kaptain that gets the the credit for some of the biggest sinkings of the this great and epic struggle.

Cohaagen
03-13-09, 07:11 AM
Well, apart from one reply obviously no one seems that interested.

Perverse, really. We get models of ancient pre-WWI armoured cruisers, Italian carriers which were never even commissioned, Japanese and American battleships which spent the entire war on the other side of the world, a German carrier which spent all her time in port, 50,0000-ton ocean liners...but no one wants to model major warships which were actually torpedoed and sunk by U-boats!

iambecomelife
03-13-09, 07:29 AM

Perverse, really. We get models of ancient pre-WWI armoured cruisers, Italian carriers which were never even commissioned, Japanese and American battleships which spent the entire war on the other side of the world, a German carrier which spent all her time in port, 50,0000-ton ocean liners...but no one wants to model major warships which were actually torpedoed and sunk by U-boats!

I am tentatively planning to do the "Courageous" & "Glorious" (my favorite British carriers). At the moment, though, I need to finish up my merchant ships.

coronas
03-13-09, 08:30 AM

Patience, my friend, patience. Throw the years, all those ships were required. We must confide soon or later some talented modder will do.
:sunny:
By the way: Every ship done by these talented modders always are wellcomed, isnīt it?
:yeah:

Sailor Steve
03-13-09, 12:56 PM
Before the major warships, I would instead prefer the dozens of different medium and small merchant types that it is our job to sink.

VonDos
03-13-09, 04:39 PM

Do them yourself.
I don't want to be ironic and i'm not joking :yep:
Mod is passion: when i was a "easy sh3 player" i was looking for some ships really interesting FOR ME; i've studied, projected, spent freetime, i've received huge huge helps from community members (UBOAT234 was the first, i NEED to citate him, but too many people help me for citate them in a post, i can't also try to do this), but i've built some of those projects (maybe the quality is not the top, i'd like to improve, and i try to improve, always :up: ).
Also, i don't know if my units are approved by people, if they're orrible for someone or what. They're good for me. They're not "commercial produit" that need to be actractive for be selled.
It's always easy ask what community cand do for you, try to ask yourself what you can do for community (and for your satisfation also) :yeah:

And after this, i can go to sleep; see you :88)