PDA

View Full Version : GWX Loading Times

Studders86
03-06-09, 12:26 AM
Hey guys, i just wondered if there was any way of speeding up the mission loading when using the GWX mod. It literally takes about 5 minutes. I dont know if this is my system or anything but it never took that long on SH3 stock. I understand there is a lot more to load. Iam not by any means complaining about this loading time because its a small price to pay for the amount of work that has gone into GWX, i just wondered if everyones takes this long.

Cheers

Torplexed
03-06-09, 12:38 AM
It takes longer for my computer too and it's still pretty new. But they state upfront that is what will happen in the GWX manual. You can install some mods like 'light harbor traffic' to help reduce the load time. :cool:

TheDudTorpedo
03-06-09, 12:42 AM
The long load time is absolutely normal, but well worth the wait :DL

Studders86
03-06-09, 12:46 AM
Indeed it is. I missed that part in the manual. just glad its not my system lol

bgey
03-06-09, 04:25 AM
Just make a habit to FIRST startup SH3 and THEN get a drink/snack, go to the toilet,... :03:

Benny

irish1958
03-06-09, 08:24 AM
You can cut down the loading time a bit by not using the combined campaign. but rather the specific version for your patrol. Also, if you are just going to do a check on some game change, load the Naval Academy. If you are going to do just a mission, use BBW blank campaign or Mush Martin's mission loader.
Of course, if you are old enough, taking a leak while you wait for the game to load will give you plenty of time.

sharkbit
03-06-09, 08:46 AM
I wish I had 5 minute load times. :woot:
I average 10-13 minutes.
:)

owner20071963
03-06-09, 08:49 AM
We currently have a Mod
that decreases Loading time,
from 5 minutes to 50 seconds,
We have 2 Versions SH3 GWX 3.0
And SH3 1.4,
Check this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148256
or check out our Site,
For more details :arrgh!:

danurve
03-06-09, 09:15 AM
owner20071963
If one follows the links and bothers to read posts - it looks as that mod won't help if a player is in carrer mode.

If you have a less then blazing PC you could use light harbour mod and not play 16k atmosphere, will probably help. Also if you use combined campaine files that will increase times.

Murr44
03-06-09, 09:45 AM
No the online gaming mod won't help if you want to play in campaign mode but it really makes a difference if you just want to play a single mission. I've tried it & single missions load very quickly. It takes me more time to decide which mission to play & what mods to use than the game takes to load.:D

owner20071963
03-06-09, 09:51 AM
No the online gaming mod won't help if you want to play in campaign mode but it really makes a difference if you just want to play a single mission. I've tried it & single missions load very quickly. It takes me more time to decide which mission to play & what mods to use than the game takes to load.:D
Very true its not meant for your career Mode,
his Original post was I Presumed
Single Mission Mode,
It works fine,
even better for Multiplay:arrgh!:

irish1958
03-06-09, 07:23 PM
I average 10-13 minutes.
Just wait a few years and 15+ minutes to take a leak will be about normal; then you will be happy.

Blacklight
03-07-09, 12:37 AM
That's my "Go get a cold beer" or "Brew some coffee" time depending on the part of the day it is.

FIREWALL
03-07-09, 12:44 AM
Try shutting down all the stuff running in the background.

EnditAll , is a good and free program for that.

Hitman
03-07-09, 05:01 AM
Someone also adviced here long ago (Was that Jiimbuna?) some hardware/software changes that will help your PC -new or not- loading faster:

SOFTWARE:

1.- Do a defragmentation if you haven't done one long ago
2.- If you have two HDDs, then use one (the smaller if they are different) to have Windows and general programs (DVD player, Office, etc.), then the second one for games and data.
3.- For single missions, enable one of the mods that empties your career files. Otherwise they are also loaded with the single mission, and that is nearly dramatic.
4.- For campaign missions, see if your career allows using a reduced campaign file (Black Sea, Indian Ocean)
5.- Additional units like community ships mod or IABL ships for NYGM add loading time
6.- Use lite harbour traffic whenever possible

HARDWARE:

Cheapest:

1.- Get SATA2 disks. They are WAAAY faster than the old IDE ones
2.- Get a second hard disk if you don't have one
3.- Get additional memory modules

Most expensive:

- PC upgrade!

I also had an idea some time ago that would help a lot, but I would need to consult that with BBW first. It probably would involve creating an auxiliary external program to help with the necessary cut in the campaign layers, but it could well be worth it :hmmm:

owner20071963
03-07-09, 06:08 AM
The Mod in question works fine,
Multiplay & Single Missions only,
A lot of hard work went into these Mods,
This was done also to help those who create Missions,
Not having to worry about planes,shore guns,
as all of these have been taken out of the world map,
What You create in Your mission Editor
is what you will see Only,
in the mission You create,
Hence the Quick loading time,
Thanks to the GWX Team,
and Grafpaper for all their Hard work on this Mod,
Now loading time is less than 1 minute,
even with 8 players on Multiplay :arrgh!:

Jimbuna
03-07-09, 09:03 AM
I average 10-13 minutes.
Just wait a few years and 15+ minutes to take a leak will be about normal; then you will be happy.

LMAO :DL

Scotty
03-07-09, 01:48 PM
get more ram!!! it helps a lot..
I have sh3 on 3 systems.. 2 old AMD BArton cores XP3200 with 1 gig ram, and the 4th a newer system Core 2 duo E7200 oc at 3.4 ghz..with 4 gigs of ram, and SATA drives..
the
My 12 yr old likes to play sh3 too, I ordered 2 gigs of ram for my old barton XP3200, and the jump from 1 gi to 2 gigs was VERY impressive in SH3 1.4b GWX3..
Load times decreased nore important is my time compression increased.

on the new system with faster CPU, SATA drive, 4 gb faster ram it still loads slightly faster, and time compression is much better..
I'l post bck game load times and capmaign load times on the 1, 2 and 4 ig systems.

OK results all 1.4b GWX3

load times

(1) on the Xp3200 system with 1 gig ram -WinXP Sp1
load game time is 55 seconds
load career time 4:30 min

(2) on the XP3200 system with 2 gig ram-WinXP Sp1
load game time in 55 seconds
load career time in 4:10 min

(3) on the E7200 system with 4 gig ram-WinXP Sp2
load game time is 35 seconds
load career time is 2:20 seconds

time compression FPS (most important, as choppiness is hard to deal with)

(1) xp3200 1 gig ram
2048x = 10 fps avg
4096x = 3 fps avg
8192x = 1 fps
(2) xp3200 2 gig ram
2048x = 40 fps avg
4096x = 8 fps avg
8192x 2 fps
(3) E7200 4 gig ram
2040x = 60 fps
4096x = 30 fps
8192x = 5 fps avg

FPS are avg out in bare ocean on F5 map, sometimes they lower to less than 1/2, seldome go higher.

Load times are not so dependent on ram as I thought..1 gig of ram 4:30 time vs 2 gig ram 4:10 time isn't much... all with same mods.
The faster load time of the E7200 system with 4 gig ram may not be to the ram, but the newer faster SATA2 HD, and faster CPU.

Time compression FPS seemed to be ram related.

I hope this info helps so you don't go out and buy something you don't need.

scotty

Otto Heinzmeir
03-07-09, 02:52 PM
Sell your mom and buy a new PC! Sorry:O: