PDA

View Full Version : AI Torpedoes

TheDarkWraith
02-28-09, 05:34 PM
You all said you wanted this so I'm releasing it. From the readme file:

**** Racerboy's AI Torpedoes

This mod will add AI Torpedoes to the game. The AI Torpedoes are very unrealistic in that they:
- have a speed of 150knots
- cannot turn and will proceed in a straight line from the direction fired
- will always maintain a depth of 3m relative to the water surface
- can and will pass through solid objects
- are given a distance to run and once that maximum distance is reached they 'die' (do not detonate). If they find their target before that distance then they detonate.
- are fired based on the target's current position. They are not smart enough to lead ahead of the shot or account for target's speed.

The AI torpedoes do contain duds. If you find that your torpedo 'hits' it's mark but doesn't detonate then it was a dud.
Currently the only AI torpedo modeled is the TI. The AI torpedoes will leave a wake on the water surface and will emit bubbles just like normal torpedoes.

I have made an entirely new torpedo detonation effect for this mod. You will see a small, initial column of water rise and fall with some waves and then a small time later you will see the big columns of water rise with large waves and fall back to the surface turning into mist as they do. This models how a torpedo actually explodes (expanding/collapsing steam bubble) under water.

AI Torpedoes are available for subs (fore/aft) and for ships. They are named like so:

AITorpsShip__TI040400300000000360Y breaks down to:
AITorpShip - AI Torp for ships (AITorp_Sub - AITorp for subs)
TI - torpedo type (TI)
04 - number of tubes
04 - total number of torpedoes (if this equals number of tubes then there are no spares to reload the tubes)
0030 - number of seconds between firings
0000 - number of seconds required to fully reload all tubes.
000 - minimum range of circular motion. 0 would be north, 90 east, 180 south, 270 west. These directions are in regards to it's parent object (sub, ship, etc.).
360 - maximum range of circular motion. 0 would be north, 90 east, 180 south, 270 west. These directions are in regards to it's parent object (sub, ship, etc.).
So if minimum angle is 0 and max is 360 then the launcher has full circular range of motion.

Current Available launchers:

Ship's Launchers:
AITorpsShip__TI040400300000000360Y (TI torp, 04 tubes, 4 torpedoes total, 30 seconds, 0 seconds, min angle 000, max angle 360, Visible) - this launcher can fire in any direction.

AITorpsShip__TI040400300000270090Y (TI torp, 04 tubes, 4 torpedoes total, 30 seconds, 0 seconds, min angle 270, max angle 90, Visible) - this launcher gives firings from west, through north, to east. It is not able to fire backwards.

AITorpsShip__TI010100300000000014N (TI torp, 01 tubes, 1 torpedoe total, 30 seconds, 0 seconds, min angle 0, max angle 14, not visible) - this is used on the right side of PT boats. It can only fire from straight ahead to 14 degrees to the right.

AITorpsShip__TI010100300000346000N (TI torp, 01 tubes, 1 torpedoe total, 30 seconds, 0 seconds, min angle 346, max angle 0, not visible) - this is used on the left side of PT boats. It can only fire from straight ahead to 14 degrees to the left.

Sub's launchers:

AITorpsBarrel_Sub__TI040400300000315045N (TI torp, 04 tubes, 04 torpedoes total, 30 seconds, 0 seconds, min angle 315, max angle 045, not visible) - this is used on the front of subs. It can only fire straight ahead and 45 degrees to either side of that.

AITorps_Sub__TI040800301200315045N (TI torp, 04 tubes, 08 torpedoes total, 30 seconds, 1200 seconds, min angle 315, max angle 045, not visible) - this is used on the front of subs. It can only fire straight ahead and 45 degrees to either side of that. Since this has 8 torpedoes total with 4 tubes it it able to re-arm itself once.

AITorps_Sub__TI020400301200135225N (TI torp, 02 tubes, 04 torpedoes total, 30 seconds, 1200 seconds, min angle 135, max angle 225, not visible) - this is used on the rear of subs. It can only fire straight behind and 45 degrees to either side of that. Since this has 4 torpedoes total and only 2 tubes it can re-arm itself once.

AITorps_Sub__TI010200301200135225N (TI torp, 01 tubes, 02 torpedoes total, 30 seconds, 1200 seconds, min angle 135, max angle 225, not visible) - this is used on the rear of subs. It can only fire straight behind and 45 degrees to either side of that.

How to add a launcher to a sub/ship:

Torpedoe launchers are added via the cfg#Mxx nodes. You will either have to add new cfg#Mxx nodes or use an existing one. In the samples provided for the Hunt I, the AI subs, and the PT boat I have created cfg#M94 - cfg#M99 for this mod and for RFX. Once you have added or used an existing cfg#Mxx node in the ship's/sub's files then you will need to setup the ship's/sub's .eqp file. Here is a sample from the Hunt I's .eqp file (NDD_HuntI.eqp):

;reserved for RFX
[Equipment 6]
NodeName=M94
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

;reserved for RFX
[Equipment 7]
NodeName=M95
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

;reserved for RFX
[Equipment 8]
NodeName=M96
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

;reserved for RFX
[Equipment 9]
NodeName=M97
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

;Reserved for RFX
[Equipment 10]
NodeName=M98
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

;Reserved for RFX
[Equipment 11]
NodeName=M99
LinkName=AITorpsShip__TI040400300000270090Y
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

Notice that I added the launcher to Equipment 11 which corresponds to cfg#M99. You use the cfg#Mxx node (located in the ship's/sub's files) to place where the launcher should be on the object. The LinkName must specify one of the valid ship/sub launchers above in order to have AI torpedoes on that object. By changing the StartDate and EndDate you can determine when the object gets AI torpedoe capability.

This is Version 1.0 BETA of Racerboy's AI Torpedoes.

This mod has been based on SH3 1.4b files when files were needed. I have created my own files for this mod so as to not interfere with other mods. All the effects are self-contained in this mod and thus cannot be influenced by other mods. The only part of this mod that can be influenced by other mods are the sounds. It uses \data\Sounds sounds for the effects.

This mod also contains work by others. That work is the AI subs. I do not recall who the original author is (I believe it's Ref or Sergbuto) but those subs were not made by me. I have included them so that a demo mission in a wolfpack could be done.

This mod contains a single mission named 'HuntI_PT_attack'. I highly recommend running this single mission first after installing the mod to see the new torpedoe explosion effects and to see the mod in action.

I highly recommend browsing my files to learn how I did what I did. Various forms of 'trickery' and use of controllers in ways they weren't intended to have enabled this mod to come to be what it is. There is also use of a controller that I've never seen used before (I had to 'make' it from the SH3Controllers.ACT file) that allowed the torpedo explosion effect to do what I wanted it to do.

Version History:
1.00 - Initial BETA release

This mod is fully JSGME compliant. Delete previous versions of this mod, unzip, and copy the folder 'Racerboy_AI_torps_1_0_BETA' to mods folder, enable, and enjoy!

As the sole tester and maker of the mod I have only myself to thank and acknowledge! Hope you all enjoy it. I know I do.

Copyright notice:
This mod [Racerboy's AI Torpedoes] and all versions thereof and all corresponding files of said mod are freeware. The files, or parts thereof, may NOT be used in commercial products in any way and may NOT be included, in part or in whole, in commercial products without prior written permission by the author.

Racerboy :|\\

http://files.filefront.com/RB+AI+torps+1+0+BETA7z/;13387037;/fileinfo.html

TheDarkWraith
02-28-09, 05:35 PM
reserved by Racerboy for FAQ/bugs/updates/etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How can I make the new torpedo explosion the default explosion for torpedoes?

A: You will have to edit the \data\Library\torpedo.sim file and change all the references to the old torpedo explosion to use mine. If you open torpedo.sim you will find references to this ID: A54BEC00E3C37EE3 (from hex editor so could be backwards in whatever tool your using to view the file!) That ID is found in particles.dat and it is the 'ref_torp_great_explosion' or better known as the torpedo explosion effect. Replace all references to that ID in torpedo.sim with C0EF0001A1FF00FF (once again could be backwards as it was lifted from hex editor) which is my new torpedo explosion effect. Now you'll either have to keep my AI Torpedo mod enabled at all times or copy the files:
- AITorpsCommonEffectsParticles.dat
- AITorpsCommonEffectsMaterials.dat
- AITorpsCommonEffects.dsd

to the \data\Library folder. Enjoy your new torpedo explosion effect!

Note: when I say ID could be backwards I'm talking about little-endian, big-endian. I only use a hex editor (and my own applications) and thus my IDs are backwards to any of you that use tools (like S3D).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Is it possible to add optional "legs" to search pattern torpedo? Let's say the torpedo has to run 50 legs of a short distance (10m) after the arming distance with a minimum speed.

A: It is not possible to add optional 'legs' at this time. Due to the way it is implemented currently it has to travel in a straight line and the arming distance is 0.
Q: Can this be used in super-mods?

A: As this mod uses it's own files for effects and all there should be no impact on any supermod. In order to use with any super-mod or the stock game the end-user will have to manually setup the AI Torpedoes for the ships/subs they are wanting. How to setup the AI Torpedoes can be found in the text file included with the mod.

java`s revenge
02-28-09, 05:56 PM
I am now downloading your great work. I am anxious to use it.
Thanks ! :|\\

TheDarkWraith
02-28-09, 06:04 PM
I made this to tide me over until a way was figured out how to use real torpedoes since they always want to spawn north. cfg#T01_ ... = Torpedo Armament
cfg#TAR_ ... = Submarine Torpedo Armament I think have something to do with it.

Awful Smutje
02-28-09, 06:43 PM
Hello Racerboy.
I have a little question. I use your SH4 FX for SH3 mod, updated by asanovic7, and l like to add your new torpedo explosion to it.

I think these are in your new AITorpsEffectsMaterialsShip.dat, AITorpsEffectsMaterials_Sub.dat, AITorpsEffectsParticlesShip.dat & AITorpsEffectsParticles_Sub.dat in the Library folder.

Is it going to work, if I only enable them via JSGME, or do I have to edit the files? (Hopefully not, I'm still no modder... ;))

I think this could screw the explosion, because all files in the Library folder are loaded, if I remember correctly. Then would be two torpedo explosions loaded.

Poorly I have not enough knowledge how these files work...

Best regards
Awful Smutje

TheDarkWraith
02-28-09, 07:04 PM
Hello Racerboy.
I have a little question. I use your SH4 FX for SH3 mod, updated by asanovic7, and l like to add your new torpedo explosion to it.

I think these are in your new AITorpsEffectsMaterialsShip.dat, AITorpsEffectsMaterials_Sub.dat, AITorpsEffectsParticlesShip.dat & AITorpsEffectsParticles_Sub.dat in the Library folder.

I knew people would like that explosion! :D You all are getting just a small little taste of what RFX is going to be like. I can do magic with those ParticleGenerators and FastParticleGenerators now. Those files you mentioned above are for the launching effect of the torpedo. The actual torpedo explosion effect is located in AITorpsCommonEffectsMaterials.dat and AITorpsCommonEffectsParticles.dat

Is it going to work, if I only enable them via JSGME, or do I have to edit the files? (Hopefully not, I'm still no modder... ;))

As that effect is not referenced by anything except for my files it will never be called by anything but mine. You will have to edit the \data\Library\torpedo.sim file to reference my new torpedo explosion effect outside of my AI torpedo mod. So yes, the new torpedo explosion effect will work in my mod (and only in my mod) enabled via JSGME.

I think this could screw the explosion, because all files in the Library folder are loaded, if I remember correctly. Then would be two torpedo explosions loaded.

That is incorrect. As my torpedo explosion has it's own unique ID there will be no conflict. The game will still use the default torpedo explosion (called for in torpedo.sim and found in particles.dat).

Best regards
Awful Smutje

See above in yellow. Adding to my FAQ reserved spot. See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1056806&postcount=2 which is the FAQ.

Awful Smutje
02-28-09, 07:31 PM
Thanks for your fast and helpful reply! :salute:

That sounds less difficult then I thought.
I'll have to try that directly...

I'll ask again, if any problems show up wich are not in the faq... (Probably noob questions... :O:)

Graf Paper
02-28-09, 09:42 PM
The ONLY reason privateer has "cracked" the AI torpedo issue and will not release it until GWX 4 is out is because he had help from Ubisoft.

You might be legally bound not to reveal certain facts, privateer, but you can't claim superior skill when you've been handed things on a silver platter by the Silent Hunter Devs.

Racerboy is doing all this work out of dogged determination and has done an admirable job without the official SDK or source code.

TheDarkWraith
02-28-09, 09:48 PM
Now please let's keep comments hushed if they're not about this AI torpedo mod. I'm looking for feedback on it....likes, dislikes, complaints, gripes, wish it could do this or that, etc.

bigboywooly
02-28-09, 09:51 PM
The ONLY reason privateer has "cracked" the AI torpedo issue and will not release it until GWX 4 is out is because he had help from Ubisoft.
:stare:

You know this how GP ?
Be interested to know

Many ppl ask the devs for things
I have
Most times they help
A lot of times they just dont know as ppl gone

Graf Paper
02-28-09, 09:55 PM
He brought it on himself. I can't stand asses who pretend privilege is skill and it's time he had a wake-up call.

To answer you, BBW...it's very obvious with the bragging and other comments that privateer has made. A moronic, blind monkey can see that.

After all, you didn't think all of those Subsim meets were just about buddies getting drunk and playing Silent Hunter, did you?

bigboywooly
02-28-09, 10:00 PM
He brought it on himself. I can't stand asses who pretend privilege is skill and it's time he had a wake-up call.

To answer you, BBW...it's very obvious with the bragging and other comments that privateer has made. A moronic, blind monkey can see that.

After all, you didn't think all of those Subsim meets were just about buddies getting drunk and playing Silent Hunter, did you?

Ah so you dont know he had help
Just a wild guess

I know for a fact Ref asked about the AI torpedos
And was given NO help as the devs didnt know

Guess makes me a moronic blind monkey then
:rotfl:

Graf Paper
02-28-09, 10:03 PM
You may assume so, good sir.

TheDarkWraith
02-28-09, 10:05 PM
to all it doesn't really matter if he was given privileged information or not. He says he knows how to do it and won't share any information. Nothing we can do about it. So it's up to us to figure out how to do it :yep:

bigboywooly
02-28-09, 10:07 PM
You may assume so, good sir.

:rotfl:

Cheers

Graf Paper
02-28-09, 10:14 PM
That's why I admire you, BBW. You stick to the proper spirit of things.

Best of luck to you and your team and I hope someday to have even half of your skills.:salute:

jean74
03-01-09, 02:50 AM
Hi Racerboy,

I just want to thank you for this another great JOB.

And thank you for all your explanations.

Best regards

Jean

bookworm_020
03-01-09, 04:41 AM
If this mean that the AI subs can do more than be a floating target, excellent!!!:yeah:

Nice work Racerboy!:up:

coronas
03-01-09, 05:53 AM
Another step beyond. Downloading.
Thanks! :salute:

Contact
03-01-09, 05:54 AM
I hate to say this Racerboy but its crapiest mod ever :haha:

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 08:10 AM

Please don't hold back. Would you care to explain why you feel this way? Did you read the very first post that explains how unrealistic this is?

bigboywooly
03-01-09, 08:16 AM
If this mean that the AI subs can do more than be a floating target, excellent!!!:yeah:

Nice work Racerboy!:up:

Sergs VIIA ( VIIC clone ) could fire " AI torps " too
Using shells instead of torps - not sure of the speed they travelled but something close to this mod
As do his PT boats
Easier on the eye from a submerged sub

Jimbuna
03-01-09, 08:30 AM
That's why I admire you, BBW. You stick to the proper spirit of things.

Best of luck to you and your team and I hope someday to have even half of your skills.:salute:

Hi Graf

(in an English context) I don't think you realise how true your words are seeing as how BBW is a Leeds United supporter :DL :up:

@Racerboy (and written purely in a personal capacity)

Did you ever consider a parent object that would be slower in terms of travel than a shell? :hmmm:

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 08:32 AM
Using shells instead of torps - not sure of the speed they travelled but something close to this mod
Easier on the eye from a submerged sub

that's how this one works, using shells. The torp is piggybacked to the shell and stuck at a certain depth to give the illusion of a real torpedo. When the shell splashes into the water a DC is created that very quickly falls to the depth of the 'torpedo' and explodes giving the illusion of torpedo explosion.
What do you mean by easier on the eye from a submerged sub?

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 08:36 AM
Did you ever consider a parent object that would be slower in terms of travel than a shell? :hmmm:

I looked for anything that could give a more realistic speed but couldn't find anything. What comes to mind?
I made the launcher originally to use the wpn_SubTorpedoSys controller and it would render in game but wouldn't rotate or fire. If I can get it to rotate (actively targeting something) then that would be one giant step forward to using real torpedoes. I'm playing with that original idea again as it never hurts to go back and try old ideas.
In the \data\Library\guns.dat file there is a quad and a triple launcher from the devs. The groundwork was laid by them but never completed.

tater
03-01-09, 09:26 AM
Note that the statement of getting a "real" torpedo to work was for SH4, not SH3. SH4 has functional AI torpedoes (air-dropped) to start with.

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 10:05 AM
I'm open to any and all ideas you all. If you think you have a way of doing this better or have an idea then please post it. There is no stupid idea or question.

Graf Paper
03-01-09, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure if targeting can be done due to the "incomplete" AI in the SH3 engine but it would seem there may be some sort of way to cobble together a working torpedo by cloning the player sub torpedoes and tweaking them to work with the AI launchers.

Which files are you looking into, Racerboy? I don't know hex or assembly, but maybe I can puzzle some things out with S3D as an aid.

Perhaps some specifics or screenshots of the node/controller data in question would also be a benefit to all who wish to help tackle this.

Jimbuna, I like how you English love your football ( soccer, to us heathens ). It reminds me of how American football is pursued with a religious fervor in the southern U.S., where I grew up. The movie, "Friday Night Lights", is no exaggeration in this respect! I suppose we're all "hooligans" deep inside.

bigboywooly
03-01-09, 11:27 AM
What do you mean by easier on the eye from a submerged sub?

I mean as the sub is submerged - unless you are watching it on ext cam - you wont notice a lack of torp
Just explosions on the mercs in convoy

@ Tater
Yes SH4 does have an air drop AI torpedo
But no torpedos fired from destroyers\MTBs or AI subs

Awful Smutje
03-01-09, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure if targeting can be done due to the "incomplete" AI in the SH3 engine but it would seem there may be some sort of way to cobble together a working torpedo by cloning the player sub torpedoes and tweaking them to work with the AI launchers.

If this won't work, maybe you can create a invisible Patrol Boat and piggyback a torpedo on it? I really don't know if this will work, but if it works, the torps may have a more realistic speed. And if it's attatched to the PT, it may be easier to solve the problem that they won't hit at greater distances, if you can get the ships (torps) AI to ram its actual target. :hmmm:

Hope this helps a little.
Good luck with it! :yeah:

java`s revenge
03-01-09, 11:39 AM
I have played the demo mission. What i saw was that one sub was shooting with
their anti air guns and the other sub with the maingun.

The pt boat was destroyed by them and i destroyed the destroyer with a torpedoe.

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 11:40 AM
Which files are you looking into, Racerboy? I don't know hex or assembly, but maybe I can puzzle some things out with S3D as an aid.

originally, way back, I was looking at how the sub got it's torpedo system. If you look in the NSSUboat_xxx.sim files you'll see the wpn_SubTorpedoSys added to the NSS_Uboatxxx node found in NSS_Uboatxxx.dat file. So this attaches the sub torpedo system weapon to the sub. There is also another node in the NSS_Uboatxxx.dat file that plays a part somehow, that is the cfg#TAR_NSS_Uboatxxx (cfg#TAR is Submarine Torpedo Armament I believe). But this cfg#TAR keeps throwing me for a loop because it's not referenced anywhere I can find. Say, for instance, a cfg#M01_NSS_Uboatxx node is found. I can go to the .eqp file for that sub and find what cfg#M01 is referenced to (could be 88mm deck gun for example). But cfg#TAR I can't find anywhere.
To add more confusion there are also cfg#Txx (where xx is a number 0-99) nodes which are (I believe) Torpedo Armament nodes but I've never seen them used in anything.
This is going to be lengthy but it helps with the explanation (from SH3Sim.ACT):

wpn_SubTorpedoSys...wpn_SubTorpedoSys Render Controller.....auto_open...Automatically open the tube doors before torpedo launch.....eject_time..Torpedo evacuating time [s].....The torpedo's eject effect..Tubes...The submarine's torpedo tubes...door....The tube's door.....ext_door....The tube's external door, if any....The initial tube's torpedo type.....Rooms...The torpedo rooms settings..The fore torpedo room settings..The fore torpedo storage....The aft torpedo room settings...The aft torpedo storage.....load_time...Tube load time [min]....External....The external torpedo storage settings...Fore....The fore external torpedo storage settings..The fore external torpedo storage...Aft.The aft external torpedo storage settings...Storage.The aft external torpedo storage....torpedo.enum{T_I, T_I_FAT_I, T_II, T_III, T_III_FAT_II, T_IV, T_V, T_I_LUT_I, T_III_LUT_II, T_XI, T_VII}....The torpedo type....xfer_time...Internal transfer time [min]

when a torpedo is fired from a UBoat it appears that it is fired relative to the door (highlighted in yellow above). When you look at this in a hex editor the door has a specific name and it's a type 4/100 node (with animation nodes attached). Ext_door is a type 4/100 node in the .dat file also. The initial tube's torpedo type (which is torpedo when viewed in hex editor) is an enumeration which is defined by the bottom blue highlight above.

So I've tried making a launcher and giving it a 'door' specifying the torpedo as 0x0000 (T_I). I tried attaching the wpn_SubTorpedoSys to the launcher and then to the object the launcher is attached to. No fire, not even rotation (not sure if it will even rotate though like a gun does). With a gun you specify the shells AND you specify how many it has of that particular shell. I don't see anywhere where you tell it how many of this type of torpedo it has. It renders in game so the game engine finds it valid (since it didn't crash). Just don't have the proper implementation of nodes/setup to get it working.

coronas
03-01-09, 11:40 AM
I'm open to any and all ideas you all. If you think you have a way of doing this better or have an idea then please post it. There is no stupid idea or question.

A convert AItorpedo from SH4?

Graf Paper
03-01-09, 11:41 AM
As I think about this more something more comes to mind.

To fully realize this and have the AI launchers working completely may require editing of the appropriate '.act' file. Knowing there are concerns about "crossing the line" with such a path, would there be similar prohibitions against creating your own '.act' file from scratch and plugging it into the game? It is just a lua-like script used by the engine to define behaviors, correct?

I know the engine allows for the addition of new files to define things, in certain cases. It has been done already with other files, such as 'Materials.dat' and sound files, and even the SDL mixer has been edited numerous times to include new effects.

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 11:42 AM
I have played the demo mission. What i saw was that one sub was shooting with
their anti air guns and the other sub with the maingun.

The pt boat was destroyed by them and i destroyed the destroyer with a torpedoe.

for the AI subs to fire torpedoes the target has to be within about 1000-1500m of them. Run the single mission again, you'll see the AI subs fire them when the targets are close enough.

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 11:49 AM
As I think about this more something more comes to mind.

To fully realize this and have the AI launchers working completely may require editing of the appropriate '.act' file. Knowing there are concerns about "crossing the line" with such a path, would there be similar prohibitions against creating your own '.act' file from scratch and plugging it into the game? It is just a lua-like script used by the engine to define behaviors, correct?

I know the engine allows for the addition of new files to define things, in certain cases. It has been done already with other files, such as 'Materials.dat' and sound files, and even the SDL mixer has been edited numerous times to include new effects.

if you know for sure that the .ACT files are lua scripts then we might be onto something. I don't know how to code lua scripts but I'm willing to learn.
I know it will accept new .ACT files as originally when I was working with the shadows I had copied the SH3Controllers.ACT file from v1.0 into my \SilentHunterIII folder and renamed the original to SH3Controllers_old.ACT. Shadows worked. I deleted the SH3Controllers.ACT file (accidentally - oh that was a nightmare chasing a bug that was self-created as to why shadows quit working) and still had the original (SH3Controllers_old.ACT) and everything still worked just no shadows. We need verification that .ACT files are lua scripts :yep:

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 11:54 AM

A convert AItorpedo from SH4?

If we can get this from SH4's SHControllers.ACT file:

\AirTorpedoCtrl.cpp....amun_AirTorpedo.AirTorpedoC trl Controller...d:\ubiprojects\sh4_patch1.4\silenthun ter4\src\sim\Ammunition.h

and more importantly get it working correctly then we might be able to.

Graf Paper
03-01-09, 12:09 PM
I cannot confirm if the ACT is created with lua or is a proprietary format but it is indeed a script, hence my use of the term "lua-like".

I'd lay odds that it is lua or python. Those seem to be the two most popular methods of scripting for game engines, especially since both are free and open source and appeals to budget concious publishers who wish to save every penny they can.

[EDIT]

Apparently the header declares the '.act' file as a MS Visual C++ 7.1 executable. I suppose it's still possible this is a script in an exe-wrapper but it seems like they took the more common route of using EXE modules and DLLs instead of a scripted engine. Sega used the same approach with their games. Either this was done to defeat modding attempts or it's something endemic to the Eastern-Europe/Asian approach to game programming.

iambecomelife
03-01-09, 01:10 PM

I am sure he worked very hard to implement this. :roll:

Thanks very much for your efforts, Racerboy. How did the testing for these torps go? Does the AI get a good %age of hits on its targets, or does it generally miss?

TheDarkWraith
03-01-09, 01:25 PM

Thanks very much for your efforts, Racerboy. How did the testing for these torps go? Does the AI get a good %age of hits on its targets, or does it generally miss?

You can relate the % your asking for to say the deckgun BUT whereas the deckgun shell is allowed to penetrate under the water and continue on, the AI torps would be detonating where the deckgun shell penetrated the water. Actual direct hits are duds also thus forcing near hits and misses to be the only ones that cause detonations. Also if the AI torp exceeds 5000m it 'dies'.

The comments about it being the crappiest mod ever don't bother me. I said in post #1 that it was very unrealistic but some people don't read well.

Graf Paper
03-01-09, 01:56 PM
One man's junk is another man's pieces to building a "hot rod" show car. :know:

This is a fledgling work-in-progress, after all.

Contact
03-02-09, 03:21 AM

You can relate the % your asking for to say the deckgun BUT whereas the deckgun shell is allowed to penetrate under the water and continue on, the AI torps would be detonating where the deckgun shell penetrated the water. Actual direct hits are duds also thus forcing near hits and misses to be the only ones that cause detonations. Also if the AI torp exceeds 5000m it 'dies'.

The comments about it being the crappiest mod ever don't bother me. I said in post #1 that it was very unrealistic but some people don't read well.

Of course I ment no offence here, but yes because it is unrealistic it is a crap in the first place for me :O:
Am I the one to blame for being honest huh ? :timeout:
Good one, carry on I wonder what going to be next ?! :haha:

Optimus Prime
03-02-09, 11:02 AM
Can this MOD use in the GWX3.0?
Thanks!:salute:

TheDarkWraith
03-02-09, 11:14 AM
as I used all my own files there should be no problems with any super-mod. You'll have to manually setup the AI torps though (for your super-mods ships/subs ) if you want to use them in any super-mod. The single-mission supplied will run in any super-mod. Adding to the FAQ thanks.

Sailor Steve
03-02-09, 12:42 PM
I don't have the skills to do even the most basic modding where game functionality is concerned. I think it's amazing that people can figure out how to do something like this at all. I also don't care how fast the AI torpedoes travel if all I can see from my sub is that a ship has been torpedoed by someone other than me.

Great work as usual, RB, and hopes for even better in the future.:rock:

Contact
03-02-09, 02:37 PM
I don't have the skills to do even the most basic modding where game functionality is concerned. I think it's amazing that people can figure out how to do something like this at all. I also don't care how fast the AI torpedoes travel if all I can see from my sub is that a ship has been torpedoed by someone other than me.

You don't get the point Stevie. People can even figure out how to make u-boat fly if they want. But will the game be better because of flying u-boat ? Perhaps if you are the one who accepts everything and more important you are nonsence tolerant, so there will be no crap mods for you at all, I bet. :)
so no matter how dumb it is, you will never get dissapointed :haha:

TheDarkWraith
03-02-09, 02:44 PM
Contact you made your point now let it go. You don't like it that's fine. There might be some others that do or others who like it simply for the fact that they want to learn from it. Maybe, just maybe, someone learns something from it to make something better.

Contact
03-02-09, 02:59 PM
Contact you made your point now let it go. You don't like it that's fine. There might be some others that do or others who like it simply for the fact that they want to learn from it. Maybe, just maybe, someone learns something from it to make something better.

No worries, it was my finishing touch in reasoning :DL

AVGWarhawk
03-02-09, 03:01 PM

You don't get the point Stevie. People can even figure out how to make u-boat fly if they want. But will the game be better because of flying u-boat ? Perhaps if you are the one who accepts everything and more important you are nonsence tolerant, so there will be no crap mods for you at all, I bet. :)

Yes, perhaps the mod is not realistic but it is a start to something that could possibly be a big improvement. Looks to me it is in a development stage really. Talking it up and offering ideas can make this mod all that much better. Calling it crap does no one any good. As tater stated, AI torps come from planes on SH4. Perhaps that can help getting this to work for SH3 and...........getting this into SH4 for the ships that do not fire AI torps. :03:

coronas
03-02-09, 03:16 PM
Reading Interesting Shadows Thread, skwasjer writed about directional lights of searchlights. Can AItorpedoes be attached to this lights controllers like Laser Guided Bombs? Searchights always looking for enemy ships and point in their direction, would it work?:hmmm:

Contact
03-02-09, 03:22 PM

Btw GWX4 should born at the end of this summer if I remember correctly ?
Who knows if all the hardcore moders would focus on SH4 today, maybe there would be less patches and various fixes after it's primary release..

Yes, perhaps the mod is not realistic but it is a start to something that could possibly be a big improvement. Looks to me it is in a development stage really. Talking it up and offering ideas can make this mod all that much better. Calling it crap does no one any good. As tater stated, AI torps come from planes on SH4. Perhaps that can help getting this to work for SH3 and...........getting this into SH4 for the ships that do not fire AI torps. :03:

Well I say that with the release of GWX 4 interest in SH3 will so badly hit the ground and looking forward to the perspectives moding for SH3 should fall dramatically. I think it's time to focus on moding possibilities of SH4 already and to be precisted I mean helping GWX team with your moding knowledge.
I think if it was possible somehow to add AI torps properly into SH3, GWX team would already done so. Weren't they ? :hmmm:

AVGWarhawk
03-02-09, 03:42 PM

Btw GWX4 should born at the end of this summer if I remember correctly ?
Who knows if all the hardcore moders would focus on SH4 today, maybe there would be less patches and various fixes after it's primary release..

Well I say that with the release of GWX 4 interest in SH3 will so badly hit the ground and looking forward to the perspectives moding for SH3 should fall dramatically. I think it's time to focus on moding possibilities of SH4 already and to be precisted I mean helping GWX team with your moding knowledge.
I thing if it was possible somehow to add AI torps properly into SH3, GWX team would already done so. Weren't they ? :hmmm:

Not sure. Perhaps what one can not do another can make possible. Please keep RB's thread on RB's topic.

I beg to differ on your first statement concerning the release. SH3 looks to like modding will go on forever. People just love the game. That is a whole other thread of discussion. Carry on.

bigboywooly
03-02-09, 03:43 PM
I thing if it was possible somehow to add AI torps properly into SH3, GWX team would already done so. Weren't they ? :hmmm:

Maybe
Maybe not
Some things always get put to the back burner - much the same as they did for the original devs
Things get started only to be put aside through lack of time

Just because its not in GWX doesnt mean it cant be done
Plenty of talented ppl in these forums

AVGWarhawk
03-02-09, 03:46 PM

Maybe
Maybe not
Some things always get put to the back burner - much the same as they did for the original devs

Never a truer statement BBW:up:

coronas
03-02-09, 03:52 PM

Maybe
Maybe not

Great words, BBW.
:salute:

TheDarkWraith
03-02-09, 03:53 PM
Reading Interesting Shadows Thread, skwasjer writed about directional lights of searchlights. Can AItorpedoes be attached to this lights controllers like Laser Guided Bombs? Searchights always looking for enemy ships and point in their direction, would it work?:hmmm:

throughout the making of this I was able to make 'laser guided' torps in effect but not using searchlights. So yes, in effect, 'laser guided' can be modeled to some degree. They did not have laser guided anything back then so I disregarded that design.
The object 'shot' was attached to the shooter and it's course followed the path of the shooter. The 'shot' object still had forward velocity but it meandered all over the place because it's path was altered by the shooter's rotation (yaw, pitch, and roll - also influenced by parent object's rotation) and by the shooter's position (which changed based on parent object). If the shooter was locked onto the target all the way until the shot hit the target then all was well. If it started searching after it fired it's shot then all went wacky.
Now using a searchlight could squelch most of those problems.

Contact
03-02-09, 04:02 PM
Anyway I would like to see more talented people working for GWX4 all together, rather than independantly. Well maybe I'm missing something on the policy of devs team here. But I think that if there are more people working on certain objectives then we all would have to wait less for it's release, and have less patches or bugfixes in the future after it's primary release this time.

What was that famous poster in the GWX website ? Teamwork wins ?

TheDarkWraith
03-02-09, 04:11 PM
Anyway I would like to see more talented people working for GWX4 all together, rather than independantly.

That's a can of worms you don't want to open! You'll never catch me associated with them. Now drop this subject all together. If you want to open this can of worms then start another thread on it. If you'd like to discuss the matter with me then do so via PM.

Contact
03-02-09, 04:29 PM
RGT! :DL

TorpedoMo
03-04-09, 06:14 AM
Tried to use your explosion as the default one, but I can't find the ID references via id-search, so don't know where to change.
Can anyone send me the edited torpedo.sim?

TorpedoMo

Awful Smutje
03-04-09, 06:47 AM
Tried to use your explosion as the default one, but I can't find the ID references via id-search, so don't know where to change.
Can anyone send me the edited torpedo.sim?

TorpedoMo

Racerboy was so nice to do it for me. He also gave me permission to release it as mod, but as a GWX 3.0 user I took the torpedo.sim of it, so I need the info if something was changed in there by the GWX team and if they changed it, their permission. I sended a PM to Kpt. Lehmann and awaiting a reply, but he didn't respond till now.

I hope I'll get their permission, so everybody can enjoy the new explosion, wich looks awesome. (Especially together with RB's SH4 FX mod! :rock:)

bigboywooly
03-04-09, 07:07 AM
You will have to bear with Kpt Lehman as is wiped out in RL with work and studies and exams
He isnt ignoring you just not around at the mo :up:

Awful Smutje
03-04-09, 07:17 AM
You will have to bear with Kpt Lehman as is wiped out in RL with work and studies and exams
He isnt ignoring you just not around at the mo :up:
Yes, I were expecting something like this. I wrote the PM just two days ago. I hope he don't think I'm a psycho or something, because I had a bad connection this day and my browser didn't respond to my commands... After hitting the "Send PM" button a few times, I checked my PM folder and saw the 4 messages, wich had been sent... :oops:

Hope he won't get too annoyed about that... ;)

PS: Two weeks till my exams... I better get back to my climatology books... :wah:

Jimbuna
03-04-09, 07:18 AM
Just to put things in the correct perspective.........I last spoke to him on TS Sat 28th Feb then sent him a PM via The Lair Mon 2nd March and am still awaiting a reply.

Extremely busy RL times for him at the moment.

Awful Smutje
03-04-09, 07:30 AM
Ah, just a small question to you two GWX guys:

Kpt. Lehmann is the right contact person, if I want to ask for permission, isn't he?

... Oh I hate climatology... I just do everything else, except learning... I've just cleaned my room! :timeout:

Jimbuna
03-04-09, 08:01 AM
KL is currently the project manager for GWX.

Contrary to what some people believe, he will not make a decision in isolation/unilaterally, but will consult with other team members and feedback to you directly.

So yes, I suppose he is the right contact person.

You can however ask any of the team to ask on your behalf if you think it would be any quicker....but under the current RL circumstances I think that unlikely.

Good Hunting http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Jankowski
01-11-11, 08:20 AM
Sorrh for raising dead threads, but where there any further developments of this mod?

Jimbuna
01-11-11, 12:53 PM
Absolutely no idea tbh.

Stormfly
01-11-11, 05:34 PM
Absolutely no idea tbh.

you could check chinese U47 wolf ocean mod, there are also ships using this, he also found a way for planes using torps (including torp wave), but these are a bit to fast and... what should i say unefficient in its current state.

Madox58
01-11-11, 05:40 PM
It may be possible to add air dropped torps by takeing from SH4 and patching files in SH3.
And it may be possible to add routines to allow a sort of AI to the Units that would fire torps ala SH5.

NOTE I stated MAY BE POSSIBLE.
Not that I'm working on anything of the sort right now.