PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue management models

pino69
02-26-09, 05:07 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to use a good fatigue level within SH3.
The one I used (GW/GWX 8 hours) is a pain because crew is exhausted after 2 hours of actual operation (real time) and it seems a way too exagerate.
On the other side, SH3 commander comes with différent choices of fatigue model but I don't know what they mean :
- stock SH3 (exagerate too)
- RUb
- RUb 1x TC
- GW/GWX 8 hours (the one I used in the beginning)
Can anybody explain me how these models works and indicate me the better for realistic gameplay without babysitting crew every hour during real time operations ?
How is the stock GWX3.0 model ?

Thanx 4 the answers.

My Config :
GWX 3.0 / enhanced damage effect / integrated orders / open hatch / torpedo damage final / thomsen's ships / Lifeboat&debris / some visual

Murr44
02-26-09, 09:00 AM
Though it isn't realistic you can also use the No Fatigue model that's included with SH3 Cmdr. It eliminates the need to "babysit" crewmen. I started using it after I got tired of having to shift people around every couple of hours (less time if we were in bad weather). I was using the GW/GWX 8 hour model at that time.

I've always though that GWX uses the stock game's fatigue model unless you have SH3 Cmdr installed & have selected a different fatigue model. I've never used the other mods so I can't comment on their fatigue models.

Uber Gruber
02-26-09, 10:47 AM
I tried them all, and they all have merits....

But they're all so boring in the long run. I'd love a watch cycle system but it isn't possible with SH3, its still too bugged. Everytime you dive the WO ends up in the Torpedo Room. When you surface he isn't reinstated back to the bridge.

Also, none of the mods eliminate the need to micro-manage the crew. I mean if there's not enough people in the torpedo room then the Petty Officer would go grab someone, not sit their lazily waiting for your divine intervention!

So i've given up and just use the "no fatigue" model. There's no point having men on yer boat if you have to carry them up the ladders and shout at them to do their job every couple of minutes.

And this I believe is my 1000th post......:woot::shucks:

Sailor Steve
02-26-09, 12:35 PM
The 'RUB' model fatigues the crew more slowly than the others, very slowly in fact, but they don't recover when put in their quarters. This was done to simulate actual fatigue, not just getting tired every day. It's a much more difficult system to master, but it does have its fans. RUB 1x is the same, but geared for use when playing a patrol entirely in real time. Again, not something you want to use unless you understand exactly how it works and that's what you really feel the need to do.

I still use the GWX 8 hour model, simply because I like moving the guys around, but I also know that over time they get tougher and can last an 8-hour shift without having to be watched all the time. SH4 is a vast improvement in this department, with full watch shifts that change themselves when they're supposed to.

Murr44
02-27-09, 08:13 AM
I tried them all, and they all have merits....

But they're all so boring in the long run. I'd love a watch cycle system but it isn't possible with SH3, its still too bugged. Everytime you dive the WO ends up in the Torpedo Room. When you surface he isn't reinstated back to the bridge.

Also, none of the mods eliminate the need to micro-manage the crew. I mean if there's not enough people in the torpedo room then the Petty Officer would go grab someone, not sit their lazily waiting for your divine intervention!

So i've given up and just use the "no fatigue" model. There's no point having men on yer boat if you have to carry them up the ladders and shout at them to do their job every couple of minutes.

And this I believe is my 1000th post......:woot::shucks:

Sometime last year somebody released or was working on a mod (can't recall which) that would automatically send the WO to the bridge when the boat surfaced. Unfortunately that's all that I can remember about it at present.

bgey
02-27-09, 08:39 AM
The 'RUB' model fatigues the crew more slowly than the others, very slowly in fact, but they don't recover when put in their quarters. This was done to simulate actual fatigue, not just getting tired every day. It's a much more difficult system to master, but it does have its fans.

Cool! This was in fact what I have been looking for. I don't want to be kept busy switching crew every few hours but it is nice to have a more fatigued crew after being at sea for a couple of weeks.

I'll give this a try! :yeah:

Benny

Hitman
02-27-09, 08:45 AM
There is another option that was discovered long ago by Kaa and was IMHO the best solution, but strangely it wasn't adopted later by any of the super-mods (Probably a drawback was found somewhen and I missed it). It's the model where the crew fatigue raises slowly and reaches the maximum only two months or so after departure, simulating very well how the crew loses efficiency and gets tyred in the long run, and you need to go back home.

Nevertheless, I play currently with no fatigue because I do continuous changes to the game and this seems more convenient for testing other aspects.

irish1958
02-27-09, 10:35 AM
There was work on a mod to get that lazy Watch Officer off his ass (arse in UK) and up to the Bridge. It apparently had an unsolvable problem and was never released as a finished mod.
Hitman: doesn't NYGM Mod have a fatigue model fairly much as your outlined above?

Hitman
02-27-09, 03:56 PM
The mod to put the watch officer automatically on the bridge was by OLC, in this same forum not long ago (Do a search anyone interested).

doesn't NYGM Mod have a fatigue model fairly much as your outlined above?

I confess I have never tried it yet despite being a usual NYGM player :haha: , but IIRC the fatigue model follows an 8-hour watch shift. NYGM is conceived mainly -as far as I can tell- for a 256x time compression, where aircraft cover and enemy contacts work as intended. If you stay inside those limits, crew managing isn't apparently so annoying (Though I insist I can't tell from 1st person experience).

Murr44
02-28-09, 06:53 AM
The mod to put the watch officer automatically on the bridge was by OLC, in this same forum not long ago

That's the one that I was talking about. Couldn't remember who released it...

raymond6751
03-02-09, 08:23 AM
Long ago I made a fatigue fix mod, which may be the one included in RUB as I was working with them for a while.

Here is my Filefront link to my mod :
http://dashboard.filefront.com/r6751/

Enjoy.

msalama
03-02-09, 08:47 AM
I re-installed SH3 for kicks during the weekend and decided to give NYGM 3.0 a try this time around. Seems a great supermod, and their fatigue model is IMO very good. All this "not enough crew in the diesel engines compartment" nonsense is totally gone - the crewmen do their shifts without complaints or idiocy, but still grow tired over a long trip. This fatigue model is spot on I think!

Lord Biceps
01-04-10, 03:31 PM
The 'RUB' model fatigues the crew more slowly than the others, very slowly in fact, but they don't recover when put in their quarters. This was done to simulate actual fatigue, not just getting tired every day.

Hmm, this sounds very interesting. I think I must try it on the next patrol. How long time at sea does it take before general fatigue becomes unbearable and forces you to go home? Are things like experience and "workload" factored into this, so that rookies are fatigued faster than experienced seamen, and intensive patrols are more taxing to the entire crew than "pleasure cruises"? Does morale suffer irreperable damage in the long run as well?

Sailor Steve
01-04-10, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure about the answers to the 'morale' question, but the crew on duty fatigue very slowly and those in the sleeping compartments not at all, so you must still rotate them out or you will have some who are too tired to work at all.

It's a juggling game that I grew tired of myself. I prefer the fatigue model in SH4, but for SH3 I use the 'GWX 8-Hour' model provided by SH3 Commander.

Magic1111
01-05-10, 02:55 AM
Hello !

I use the "no fatigue" option in SH3 Commander. Finally, I as a captain can not monitor the observance of pauses of my crew...:03:

Best regards,
Magic