PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission question.

Spike88
02-18-09, 06:03 PM
I'm planning on getting a manual mustang in the next 3-5 years. When funds allow. The only problem is I don't know how to drive manual. I'm wondering if I should just buy a POS car for 2-3 thousand, and just practice manual in that. Or wait until I can afford the car and risk killing my clutch. Opinions.

Edit: As a side note depending on the exact car, a clutch for most of the newer mustangs runs from 200-500. Which is cheaper, but I'd have to have someone put it in which could run up to 1 thousand and above.

Fr8monkey
02-18-09, 06:08 PM
I'd rent a manual Transmission car. Cheap and Insurance will cover your misteaks.:O:

Easy to learn 1 - 2 hours tops.

XabbaRus
02-18-09, 06:14 PM
Manuals are easy.

the trickiest bit at the beginning is pulling away in first and more importantly trickling along in 1st or reversing. Learning how to control the speed of the car with the clutch.

why don't you go get a few lessons.

When learning to trickling on the clutch just remember that the clutch controls your speed not the revs. Get it right and you can have your engine howling away but be inching along. Of course not recommended for long periods or you'll burn your clutch.

The only thing is if you are used to an automatic don't forget to put your clutch in when you stop...

Rockstar
02-18-09, 06:16 PM
If you plan on taking it to the track maybe a manual is for you. But to use one effeciently and effectivley takes alot of practice and I don't think you'll want to take your brand new pony anywhere other than to show it. IMO, it's well worth the extra bucks to get an automatic. I lived in Miami, you will appreciate an automatic waaay more than a manual with all the start and stop traffic associated with city driving. Highway makes no difference as you won't be shifting gears all that much anyways.

Now days it's hard to beat a automatic off the line if thats what you're thinking of, unless you're good at a manual the other guy will leave you behind chokin on dust.

I took out a perfectly good automatic once and threw in a B&M manual-automatic with transmission brake and set up an independent front wheel brake system. I could rev up those RPM's, let go the tranny brake and with the front wheels locked those back ones would smoke for all they was worth. Release the front brakes and away I went ;) Course I'd burn a transmission or two up every few months

Fr8monkey
02-18-09, 06:28 PM
The hardest part of stick is starting from a stop on a hill.

One plus of Stick over Auto. is you can push start on a dead battery!

Chad
02-18-09, 06:28 PM
My first car was an automatic, but my last 2 have been manual transmissions. Being a young driver, I think they both have their pro's and cons..

For instance, driving a manual will get guy appeal, but when you're driving you can't hold your girls hands if you're shifting a lot. UNLESS, you're sweet and romantic like me and place their hand on the stick and shift while their hand is on it making it feel like they're important. You've got to be a lot more cautious while driving a stick too, because as Xabba mentioned, you've got to press in on the clutch when coming to a stop.

Most of today's cars are pretty good when it comes to clutch strength. My car was almost 12 years old when I sold it and the clutch was still as good as day 1. The car I own now I haven't noticed anything except when starting it, I have to press it all the way to the floor, which could just be a manufactor thing.

I learned to drive a manual actually from being grown up on tractors, four wheelers, and dirt bikes. It's a little bit different using your feet than a couple of fingers, but the principle is the same.

Spike88
02-18-09, 06:29 PM
I'd rent a manual Transmission car. Cheap and Insurance will cover your misteaks.:O:

Actually I heard that Rental places don't have manuals anymore. How true this is I dont know.

@Rockstar: I actually live in Cutler Bay which isn't really that stop and go, and I hardly go into downtown. I could see how it'd be a problem on the side streets but most of the time I'm either on the turnpike doing 70+ or US1 doing 40+. And I've always wanted to get a manual car. As for my job, I'm becoming a police officer so all I need to do to get to work is get into my squad car.

@Fr8monkey. There aren't any hills in Miami :P

Another reason I want a manual car is because I plan on getting a harley eventually.

AVGWarhawk
02-18-09, 07:13 PM

I think he is onto something here:hmmm: Drive it like a rental car on spring break:D Actually, it is very easy. First thing you do is look at how a manual tranny works. What the clutch does. Once you understand what you are doing while pressing the clutch pedal, you will the picture this in your mind as you try out a manual tranny car. Also, just go to a used car lot and tell them you want to test drive any old car with the manual in it. These days, dealers will hand over the keys to any car you want.

Enigma
02-18-09, 07:24 PM
It's way easy. The rental car idea is a good one.

I learned in a 6 wheel dump truck!:rock:

Spike88
02-18-09, 07:37 PM

I think he is onto something here:hmmm: Drive it like a rental car on spring break:D Actually, it is very easy. First thing you do is look at how a manual tranny works. What the clutch does. Once you understand what you are doing while pressing the clutch pedal, you will the picture this in your mind as you try out a manual tranny car. Also, just go to a used car lot and tell them you want to test drive any old car with the manual in it. These days, dealers will hand over the keys to any car you want.

LOL. Totally kill the clutch and leave. I understand the workings and how to do it I just need to actually do it. Im still a fairly new driver, been about two years of driving, and I've had my license for about under a year. thats why now is a good time to learn in my opinion.

StarFox
02-18-09, 08:20 PM
$2000?

Hell, go by an old Subaru station wagon for a few hundred bucks, and learn with that! They are indestructible for the most part. And easy to learn with.

I drive a BMW now, and I must say learning on my old Subaru helped. It was a great first car for me. But with no power steering, no power windows, no heat, no AC, not enough power to charge my phone, I must say upgrading to my 86' BMW 535i was worth it.

I would start there. They are good reliable cars, and easy to learn. They can take the beating

I taught my Girlfriend on my BMW, and I must say, it seemed far easier when I learned with the Subaru

AVGWarhawk
02-18-09, 08:37 PM

LOL. Totally kill the clutch and leave. I understand the workings and how to do it I just need to actually do it. Im still a fairly new driver, been about two years of driving, and I've had my license for about under a year. thats why now is a good time to learn in my opinion.

It is a whole lot easier than you think. Look, my bro-in-law wanted a Jeep. He has no clutch experience. We went to the dealer and he drove the jeep...grinding and all:har: . Heck, I took it around the corner and let him have at it on the way back. He managed. You can to:D You might find you are a natural at it.

Spike88
02-18-09, 10:45 PM

It is a whole lot easier than you think. Look, my bro-in-law wanted a Jeep. He has no clutch experience. We went to the dealer and he drove the jeep...grinding and all:har: . Heck, I took it around the corner and let him have at it on the way back. He managed. You can to:D You might find you are a natural at it. Thats what I was thinking. Having either of my parents who both know how to drive take me to a nearby parking lot just so I can get used to it.

Since I dont know anyone else who knows how to drive stick. :P

Falkirion
02-18-09, 10:55 PM
Get some lessons in a manual car first, once you've got the basics down take a few moer to get a complete feel for driving completely in manual.

I've been driving manual for the better part of 4 years, and I hate driving auto cars as a result. Manual cars are just made for having more fun in. Handbrake starts, double clutching, burnouts, doughnuts, they're all more fun in manual.

Fr8monkey
02-18-09, 11:10 PM

Thats why you get a rental with full insurance!! Stick driving sounds more intimidating than it really is.

@ Enigma.. I learned on a 1936 crank start tractor!!! :rotfl:

Spike88
02-18-09, 11:50 PM
Actually, now that I think about it I think my grandfather has an '86 Ford pickup on its last legs thats manual.

{1.SS}Eberhardt
02-19-09, 12:58 AM
Most of today's cars are pretty good when it comes to clutch strength. My car was almost 12 years old when I sold it and the clutch was still as good as day 1. The car I own now I haven't noticed anything except when starting it, I have to press it all the way to the floor, which could just be a manufactor thing.

Being a mechanic, i couldn't help but notice this. You said you had to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. This shouldnt happen. You might have a loose or frayed clutch cable (if its cable operated which i doubt) or a hydraulic leak (if its hydraulic which is much more probable since its power assisted, theyve been implementing power assist clutch pedals for a long time now) or it has a vacuum leak (if its vacuum assisted) which would be pretty bad because thats most likely pulling vacuum from your engine which means you could have an engine vacuum leak which opens up a whole new box of candy.

Since I don't know what kind of car it is i cannot be certain, but at least i hope i helped a little bit. If not I had some fun typing this anyway :arrgh!:

Chad
02-19-09, 01:04 AM
Being a mechanic, i couldn't help but notice this. You said you had to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. This shouldnt happen. You might have a loose or frayed clutch cable (if its cable operated which i doubt) or a hydraulic leak (if its hydraulic which is much more probable since its power assisted, theyve been implementing power assist clutch pedals for a long time now) or it has a vacuum leak (if its vacuum assisted) which would be pretty bad because thats most likely pulling vacuum from your engine which means you could have an engine vacuum leak which opens up a whole new box of candy.

Since I don't know what kind of car it is i cannot be certain, but at least i hope i helped a little bit. If not I had some fun typing this anyway :arrgh!:

Ah thanks for your concern, and welcome to the board.. It's a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, I'm not sure if that helps you or not. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so if it is just a vacuum leak, to fix it would it just be replacing a faulty tube?

My dad is a motorcycle mechanic, but can work on almost anything. Last month he replaced my master cylinder. All I have to do is purchase the part, and i get free labor for repairs. He's asleep now or otherwise I'd ask him what he thinks.

XabbaRus
02-19-09, 04:41 AM
If you plan on taking it to the track maybe a manual is for you. But to use one effeciently and effectivley takes alot of practice and I don't think you'll want to take your brand new pony anywhere other than to show it. IMO, it's well worth the extra bucks to get an automatic. I lived in Miami, you will appreciate an automatic waaay more than a manual with all the start and stop traffic associated with city driving. Highway makes no difference as you won't be shifting gears all that much anyways.

Now days it's hard to beat a automatic off the line if thats what you're thinking of, unless you're good at a manual the other guy will leave you behind chokin on dust.

I took out a perfectly good automatic once and threw in a B&M manual-automatic with transmission brake and set up an independent front wheel brake system. I could rev up those RPM's, let go the tranny brake and with the front wheels locked those back ones would smoke for all they was worth. Release the front brakes and away I went ;) Course I'd burn a transmission or two up every few months

I have to respectfully disagree with you on some of the points here.

To drive a manual effectively or efficiently doesn't take that much time or practice. They are a lot easier than people realise.

I wouldn't say that driving a manual in stop start traffic is a big deal. If your careful and with my car I can gently slip the clutch all the way out and the car rolls on tickover. Get the distance to the car infront correct and you can keep rolling. That's what I do in a jam, I keep a large enough distance that I can trickle along, then usually the traffic infront has started moving before I have to stop, my gap opens up and I can keep going.

I wouldn't know about drag racing an automatic so I'll take your word for it, though I believe I can get the jump on one.

Then again in the UK I think 90% or more of drivers learn on manuals and most people drive manuals. Also a manual transmission is more fuel efficient. One thing that bugged me with an auto was when it would hunt the gear, usually between 3rd and 4th for example of I was going up a hill at a certain speed, the system couldn't make up its mind.

However I will concede if I'm feeling lazy I'll drive an auto.

gandalf71
02-19-09, 05:24 AM
Shifting manually is simply more fun! :D

But today´s automatic gearboxes are quite efficient, their biggest backdraws in the past were slow gear changing and fewer gears than their manual contenders. Most car makers here in Germany are switching from the classic automatic gearboxes to semi-automatic twin-clutch gearboxes since the last 5 years. Those are absolutely excellent, very fast gear changes and 6-speed usually, hard to beat in means of acceleration and fuel efficiency for a manual shifter and for the driver the semi-Automatic makes no difference to an fully automatic gearbox in terms of handling.

Shifting manually is basically very easy, the only point you should take care of is your clutch, a clutch can last 250.000 km, but can also be gone in 20.000 km depending on the way you use it. Replacement is quite expensive and elaboratory.

If you once drove an automatic in daily stop-and-go traffic switching to a manual shifter will be pure horror, but if you go for a race track it will be a hell lot more of fun.

br
Michael

gandalf71
02-19-09, 05:58 AM
Americans! :har:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKahqEAZlfg

Cheers,
Michael

TarJak
02-19-09, 06:09 AM
Cheapest thing to do is to get some lessons. You'll learn it right and as you have your license you'll already understand the main things you need to know. My missus took 3 lessons to get the hang of a manual after getting her license on auto and hasn't had a problem since.

Hill starts are the biggest thing to come to grips with but once you do it's all too easy.

{1.SS}Eberhardt
02-19-09, 07:17 AM

Ah thanks for your concern, and welcome to the board.. It's a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, I'm not sure if that helps you or not. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so if it is just a vacuum leak, to fix it would it just be replacing a faulty tube?

My dad is a motorcycle mechanic, but can work on almost anything. Last month he replaced my master cylinder. All I have to do is purchase the part, and i get free labor for repairs. He's asleep now or otherwise I'd ask him what he thinks.

Exactly. If its a hard plastic line (which it most likely is) then you can either replace it which can be a pain in the butt to do or you can bondo it or if you really wanna save some dough you can duct tape it if its not at the link, like if its just a crack in the line.
PS I always ever see like super hot chicks triving tiburons. That and the mitsubishi eclipse is like the hot chick car around here lol.
Good luck, and be sure to ask your dad since I'm not there to check it out myself.
:ping:

XabbaRus
02-19-09, 08:31 AM
Chicks here seem to drive Mini Coopers, ie the new BMW ripped one....

Hill starts are fun, plenty of revs, clutch bite and release the handbrake...

StdDev
02-19-09, 08:51 AM
If you take two identical cars, one with auto, the other with manual.. the auto car will most likely beat the manual off the line... not always.. but usually. The manual however will have a higher top end (less parasitic loss from all that crap in the auto tranny).
If you could shift perfectly every time the manual might take the auto off the line.. but perfect shifts all the time is a BIG "if"!... if you shift too late you will probably hit a rev limiter that most newer cars have built in, or if you shift too soon you will not be in the power band.. (both of these scenarios take the motor out of power band!).
The auto tranny is computer controlled.. it shifts at the right time all the time! The manual tranny is "you controlled".. in my opinion a lot more fun!

Been having a blast with my new car! :D

{1.SS}Eberhardt
02-19-09, 11:08 AM
Indeed, but you could always disable the rev limiter :D

And what movies is that cat from in your sig, StdDev? I remember watching them as a kid. About a penguin who wants to fly or something.

XabbaRus
02-19-09, 11:51 AM
Well my experience with automatics is that they have been slower to accelerate.

They might get off the line first but overall a manual can beat it due to the fact you can shift when you feel like it and after driving a car long enough you just know.

OK auto boxes have come a long way but I'm not talking about the DSG type boxes but the ones you get in a typical family car.

Manuals are more fun though. To be honest though I'm not too keen on semi-auto DSG things...they look cool at first but there is no fun factor either. Best just to stick to an auto...

Kapitan
02-19-09, 12:18 PM
Ive driven automatics and manuals and i find manuals are better and also cheaper when they go wrong, all it basically is right is clutch in select gear slowly let the clutch out and you should move theres a bit more behind it.

The fun part is when you start driving trucks and coaches especially manual ones as they have a range of gears and half gears and splitters which is complex to get hold of by writing it down.

In the UK if you pass in an automatic vehicle then your restricted to that type of transmition (you cant drive manual) but if you pass in a manual then you can drive both manual and automatic fortunatly i dont have any "teflon" automatic licences all mine are manual.

Go out with an instructor for a day or a mate to see how it fares but you will feel and notice the diffrence between them.

Onkel Neal
02-19-09, 12:29 PM
I'm planning on getting a manual mustang in the next 3-5 years. When funds allow. The only problem is I don't know how to drive manual. I'm wondering if I should just buy a POS car for 2-3 thousand, and just practice manual in that. Or wait until I can afford the car and risk killing my clutch. Opinions.

Edit: As a side note depending on the exact car, a clutch for most of the newer mustangs runs from 200-500. Which is cheaper, but I'd have to have someone put it in which could run up to 1 thousand and above.

I don't think you can kill the clutch in a modern car just learning to use it. Those things can take a lot more abuse that you will subject it to. As long as you don't "ride the clutch", that is, drive around with your foot touching the pedal. If you want to learn how to drive a stick, get a friend who has a manual car or rent one, as some here have suggested. It's really not that hard, you'll have it down in an hour.

Another reason I want a manual car is because I plan on getting a harley eventually.

A Harley? I better not say anything :haha:

Why not a real motorcycle?

Chad
02-19-09, 12:32 PM
PS I always ever see like super hot chicks triving tiburons. That and the mitsubishi eclipse is like the hot chick car around here lol.
:ping:

Hey, easy man! Don't be bashin me, bet you they don't drive anything like my baby..

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2942/2541/32353770005_medium.jpg

Okay, not actually my car, but it's along the lines of what i had planned, before a little project elsewhere came up :up:

antikristuseke
02-19-09, 01:30 PM
Your taste in cars deserves a beating:O:

Happy Times
02-19-09, 01:38 PM
Ive also looked at US Mustangs from the web, id like to put one in a container and ship it to Finland.:D
Fun car like a Mustang has to be manual and its easy to learn, really.
And you might get a cheap one sooner than you think.:03:

Onkel Neal
02-19-09, 03:53 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the thousands of shares of Ford stock I bought last November...yes, by all means, the Ford Mustang is an awesome car, hell yes! Buy one! :rock:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hhUddM7o_Po/R4u4BPyeq0I/AAAAAAAAALo/ZHl-wzymrWA/S660/Ford+Mustang+Racing+Blog.jpg

Sailor Steve
02-19-09, 04:44 PM
A Harley? I better not say anything :haha:

Why not a real motorcycle?
:yep:

It's like saying I can drive a Ferrari for $5000 or a 1949 Ford Pickup truck for $20,000.

Tough Choice.

StdDev
02-19-09, 04:50 PM
Indeed, but you could always disable the rev limiter :D

And what movies is that cat from in your sig, StdDev? I remember watching them as a kid. About a penguin who wants to fly or something.

Its Bill the cat!.. from Outland. Dont think there was an outland movie.. maybe an animated cartoon show... but mostly just the comic strips.

To disable the rev limiter you need a tuner.. like the DiabloSport Predator..
and they just released the tune/support for my car last week! :rock:

StdDev
02-19-09, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the thousands of shares of Ford stock I bought last November...yes, by all means, the Ford Mustang is an awesome car, hell yes! Buy one! :rock:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hhUddM7o_Po/R4u4BPyeq0I/AAAAAAAAALo/ZHl-wzymrWA/S660/Ford+Mustang+Racing+Blog.jpg

Neal!!!!

I got my new plates!!!! :D
http://www.sfvsf.org/images/stangetr.jpg

:har:

{1.SS}Eberhardt
02-19-09, 05:18 PM
Nice plates man!

Bowtie till I die!

Spike88
02-19-09, 05:58 PM
Ive also looked at US Mustangs from the web, id like to put one in a container and ship it to Finland.:D
Fun car like a Mustang has to be manual and its easy to learn, really.
And you might get a cheap one sooner than you think.:03:

Have you seen the 2010s? They reworked the car.

@Neal: What is your definition of a real motorcycle?

Onkel Neal
02-19-09, 06:29 PM

Neal!!!!

I got my new plates!!!! :D
http://www.sfvsf.org/images/stangetr.jpg

:har:

Lol, right...have you posted any pics of the Challenger yet? Pics, this thread needs Hemi flavored pics.

@Neal: What is your definition of a real motorcycle?

:D SUZUKI, naturally!
but Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki will do if you don't care what people say about you
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005-Suzuki-Bandit650c.jpg
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Suzuki-Vstrom-DL6502.jpg
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Suzuki-BoulevardM109R2b.jpg
http://www.motorhelmets.net/pics-index/suzuki-rm-z450.jpg

StdDev
02-19-09, 08:42 PM
Here ya go!

... and "Yeah... its got a Hemi !" :D
http://www.sfvsf.org/images/Challpics/IMGP0594.JPG

OOOooooohhhhhhh !
http://www.sfvsf.org/images/Challpics/IMGP0596.JPG

Knocked my Diet Pepsi over dammet!
http://www.sfvsf.org/images/Challpics/IMGP0595.JPG

Spike88
02-19-09, 09:15 PM
Thats a beautiful car.

Onkel Neal
02-19-09, 10:20 PM
Here ya go!

... and "Yeah... its got a Hemi !" :D

Knocked my Diet Pepsi over dammet!
http://www.sfvsf.org/images/Challpics/IMGP0595.JPG

NICE! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Platapus
02-19-09, 11:37 PM
Whether to go for manual or auto, to me, depends on where you are located.

When I was living in the midwest I had a manual and it was GREAT! Mostly because of the traffic. In the Midwest the traffic allowed you to enjoy and get the most benefits out of a manual.

However, once I moved to the Nation's capitol I found that a manual sucked!

Few things suck more than driving a manual in rush hour traffic jams. I quickly switched to an auto because of the traffic.

If I ever get a chance to live out in the county again, I would consider a manual.. but never while in the big city

XabbaRus
02-20-09, 06:28 AM
The Mustand looks good, the engine great...let down by suspension that is still in the stone age.

Live rear axle? WTF....new Corvette has independent.

You could get a german rebuild where they rib out the stock suspension and put in independent coil sprung all round.

Spike88
02-20-09, 12:47 PM
The Mustand looks good, the engine great...let down by suspension that is still in the stone age.

Live rear axle? WTF....new Corvette has independent.

You could get a german rebuild where they rib out the stock suspension and put in independent coil sprung all round.

I really want a Saleen mustang.
Suspension:
Linear Rate, Coil Springs (F/R)
Sway Bars, 1.38” with HD Bushings (F), 0.79” (R)
Front Struts (N2), Rear Shocks (N2)
Watts Linkage

Engine:
302 CID (5.0L) Modular, 3-Valve SOHC V8
580 HP @ 6400 RPM
525 lb-ft TQ @ 4600 RPM

http://www.saleen.com/2008_h302_sc_specs.asp

Fr8monkey
02-20-09, 01:05 PM
Man, I think this thread has jumpped the tracks! When did it become the "My favorite Ride" thread?:haha:

Onkel Neal
02-20-09, 01:26 PM
It's my favorite ride with a manual transmission:O:

StdDev
02-20-09, 04:59 PM
My manual tranny just happens to have my favorite ride wrapped around it! :D

UnderseaLcpl
02-20-09, 05:38 PM
It's my favorite ride with a manual transmission:O:

In that case, here's mine;

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/charlie143james/08_CBR1000RR_R_RedSil.jpg

Two wheels gooood. Four wheels baaaaaaaad.:DL

StdDev
02-20-09, 05:57 PM

Undersea.... can you pronounce
THPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHP!!!!! ? :O:

UnderseaLcpl
02-20-09, 06:13 PM

Undersea.... can you pronounce
THPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTHP!!!!! ? :O:

No, but I can pronounce "awesome"; HON-DAH SEE-BEE ARR-WUN-THOWSAND:O:

TarJak
02-20-09, 06:33 PM
Two wheels gooood. Four wheels baaaaaaaad.:DLYou sure about that?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/8/8f/Trabant.jpg/500px-Trabant.jpg

Spike88
02-20-09, 06:36 PM
Thats intense.
Goes from what 0 to 5 in three minutes? Has 1 mule power?
Rock on :rock: