PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Which environment mod are you using?

Hitman
02-18-09, 08:12 AM
I have more or less finished the fixed-weather mod I have been working on, and now I would like to know which one you are using from the above, so I can consider which files would be better to provide for the maximal amount of users.

Please answer the poll, it just takes a moment and will give helpful data.

So far I have planned to provide a NYGM and a GWX version, I know I can contact those guys for the proper permissions, but OLC seems to be out temporarily :hmmm:

Nedlam
02-18-09, 08:54 AM
NYGM 3.1 :up:

That's an Environment mod right?

nikbear
02-18-09, 11:20 AM
MANOS environment mod,with Reece 'green atlantic' and OLC flat sun fix combination:yeah:Looks great:03:

Uber Gruber
02-18-09, 11:28 AM
What is this Manos environment mod of which thee speaketh ?

NGT
02-18-09, 12:24 PM
What is this Manos environment mod of which thee speaketh ?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147977

:03:

Graf Paper
02-18-09, 12:30 PM
Seeing as how GWX 3.0 already has parts of OLC's environment mod built in, I'd say it's practically a given that there will not be much difference in the changes needed for a mod to be compatible with GWX 3.0 and OLC Gold.

Just promise that the night sky will be night, not just pitch black, and the horizon color will fit with that instead of glowing a bright blue as if the sun were on the verge of rising at any moment even though it's hours away.

I like that the "dark horizon" flaw was fixed with other env mods, allowing for an easier time to spot the smoke plume of vessels, especially at dawn and dusk, but having the horizon lit up like high noon when it's midnight is a real immersion killer. :-?

At the other extreme, 16k nights in GWX 3.0 are so black that you can barely see the UZO when you're standing in the conning tower, let alone spot a warship or merchant running with no lights. :doh:

I think many are hoping your own ideas will produce results that are a happy medium that gives one the "feel" of night without the game-killing darkness of true night or the glaring horizon that makes one feel as if they're on some eternal dawn patrol.

Realism in a game only works if it has no serious hindrance to playing the game.

Looking forward to what you create, Hitman! :yeah:

Share what you learn! :know:

Kanaris
02-18-09, 12:45 PM
Voted for "other", in my case, Man0s Environment Pro :D

coronas
02-18-09, 01:48 PM
I use MEP with Reece's scene.dat from sh4 16km Atmosphere for sh3.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3629/picture026iv5.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture026iv5.jpg)

dcb
02-18-09, 01:59 PM
Hard choice between GWX3 and Manos, but in the end I voted for GWX3.

Hitman
02-18-09, 03:13 PM
I think many are hoping your own ideas will produce results that are a happy medium that gives one the "feel" of night without the game-killing darkness of true night or the glaring horizon that makes one feel as if they're on some eternal dawn patrol.

To be honest my plan is to tweak exclusively which of the different original weather patterns in those files will be available, i.e. I do not intend to modify anything from the work of the authors except dividing in several alternative files what is currently in only one. Meaning you will just be able to choose via JGSME or may be SH3 Commander (Must look at that) the weather pattern (Fair/Moderate/Rough) that better suits the grid and season you are patrolling in so you can have a realistic weather for it.

The purpose of the idea is to prevent f.e. the Atlantic from being sunny and with calm water south of Reikjavik in January, or the Caribbean seeing frequent choppy weather and storms, etc. BUT respecting in all the rest the author's idea about his environment mod.

Hitman
02-18-09, 03:19 PM
use MEP with Reece's scene.dat from sh4 16km Atmosphere for sh3.

Does that incorporate the Horizon fix by OLC? :hmmm:

coronas
02-18-09, 04:08 PM
use MEP with Reece's scene.dat from sh4 16km Atmosphere for sh3.

Does that incorporate the Horizon fix by OLC? :hmmm:

Reece has found a solution for Horizon bug in his own scene.dat. It works very well for me. See the picture in biggest size, horizont is almost perfect. I changue env and misc folders often looking for the best result.
Your idea about enable via SHCommander is excellent. Clouds, water and weather will changue according to time, place or season.

robbythesub
02-18-09, 04:20 PM
I am using and have voted for OLC gold with manos final- superb! :up:

OneTinSoldier
02-18-09, 11:29 PM
GWX 3.0 Gold stock 8km. Night is dark but not gamekilling dark. :)

IFRT-WHUFC
02-19-09, 07:00 AM
I found that the night horizon bug is controlled with the first image in the sky_atl.tga within the skycolors_xx.dat files. As with the 4th image in the specular.tga can control sunset and sunrise (which i coloured to give a more orange sunrise/sunset on across the water!

hope this helps
Rick

Hitman
02-19-09, 09:27 AM
Reece has found a solution for Horizon bug in his own scene.dat. It works very well for me. See the picture in biggest size, horizont is almost perfect.

Yes I had noticed the excellent looks of it, specially the wave size :up: but wasn't sure it had that fix.

I found that the night horizon bug is controlled with the first image in the sky_atl.tga within the skycolors_xx.dat files. As with the 4th image in the specular.tga can control sunset and sunrise (which i coloured to give a more orange sunrise/sunset on across the water!

hope this helps
Rick

It sure does! When I'm ready with the tweaks, I might start the quest for my own custom version.

makman94
02-19-09, 10:11 AM
I use MEP with Reece's scene.dat from sh4 16km Atmosphere for sh3.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3629/picture026iv5.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture026iv5.jpg)
hello Coronas, are you sure you are using other scene.dat file than the one included in M.E.P. ? i am asking that becuase when i used the reece's scene.dat you mentioned instead M.E.P.'s scene file,i didn't take the photo you posted at all. in fact, i don't see any different from M.E.P. in the above shot! could you please point me the link that i can find the scene.dat you are using?
best regards

edit: please ,moderators get rid of this avatar under my name ! is disgustinggggggg !!!

Hitman
02-19-09, 10:12 AM
am asking that becuase when i used the reece's scene.dat you mentioned instead M.E.P.'s scene file,i didn't take the photo you posted at all

Same here :hmmm: Just came back from trying that combinations and the results are very different :nope:

Faamecanic
02-19-09, 11:58 AM
At the other extreme, 16k nights in GWX 3.0 are so black that you can barely see the UZO when you're standing in the conning tower, let alone spot a warship or merchant running with no lights. :doh:

AMEN!!!!! I love everything GWX, except for the damn pitch black nights, and with 3.0 the damn water is so dark when you submerge you cant see anything in external. (Yes I know realism..blah blah... but I also like to look at the eyecandy. I like to see the DCs dropping near my sub, I like to be able to see that merchant 200m away that Im shooting with my deckgun).

coronas
02-19-09, 03:20 PM
:hmmm: I'm sure. Picture is taken in Cental Atlantic, near Dakar in Summer.
Other pic from high.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9192/picture002qc4.th.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture002qc4.jpg)

Picture taken at dawn in North Atlantic in Winter.
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8496/picture077tw2.th.jpg (http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture077tw2.jpg)

Reece site: http://files.filefront.com/SHIV+Scene+for+SH3+16k+v3brar/;10000633;/fileinfo.html

Hitman
02-19-09, 03:25 PM
Hmmm that's strange :hmmm:

In his download, Reece offers many different variants (GWX/Stock/more reflections/less reflections, etc.) which one are you using?

coronas
02-19-09, 03:54 PM
I enabled Stock with Standar reflections without sensors folder (NGYM sensors) and Improved waves and next Manos mod without scene.dat.
Can monitor or grafic card settings have any influence? :06:

makman94
02-19-09, 07:08 PM
I enabled Stock with Standar reflections without sensors folder (NGYM sensors) and Improved waves and next Manos mod without scene.dat.

i still have to say that the clouds at your second photos you post are totally different from the first shot(and the horizon is different). first shot is exactly what you see in M.E.P.

Uber Gruber
02-19-09, 07:19 PM
I just loaded Reeces mode with standard reflections directly over Manos's mod which is in turn over GWX with 16KM atmosphere....and, it looks quite lovely. I'll need to really test drive it but i'm impressed so far.

Any major conflicts I should worry about ?

Cheers, Hans.

coronas
02-19-09, 07:32 PM

i still have to say that the clouds at your second photos you post are totally different from the first shot(and the horizon is different). first shot is exactly what you see in M.E.P.

I went over my pictures folders and you are right. Sorry for the mistake: The first picture is with M.E.P. enable without changues. It prove is an excellent mod. I wish my error don't cause any disturb. My apologies to you and Hitman.

makman94
02-19-09, 07:33 PM
I just loaded Reeces mode with standard reflections directly over Manos's mod which is in turn over GWX with 16KM atmosphere....and, it looks quite lovely. I'll need to really test drive it but i'm impressed so far.

Any major conflicts I should worry about ?

Cheers, Hans.

no conflicts to worry about ! (but there is no need to run gwx16 km if you run M.E.P.)

makman94
02-19-09, 07:36 PM
I went over my pictures folders and you are right. Sorry for the mistake: The first picture is with M.E.P. enable without changues. It prove is an excellent mod. I wish my error don't cause any disturb. My apologies to you and Hitman.

:up:.don't worry,i insisted only for not to be misunderstandings with people that not handle environment files well .

coronas
02-19-09, 07:44 PM

:up:.don't worry,i insisted only for not to be misunderstandings with people that not handle environment files well .

Thanks, gentleman! :salute:

JCWolf
02-19-09, 08:29 PM

For sure Graphic cards make a huge diference,,,

If you see how it looks in a latest generation G Card you tell me...

Can you please pin point for me this Manos Mod ?:salute:

IFRT-WHUFC
02-19-09, 08:35 PM
Did you base your env on OLC's mod? Phil Thomsen did the exact same and changed the sea effects magnificently (with a few graphical changes by me!) but i quoted earlier and i must apologogise to you i complained about your mod being to reflective, but this was before the PRO mod was released and now i must swallow my words this mod is by far the best looking and especially in the fact it is far less a FPS user!! Though i still think the sun glare across the water could do with narrowing towards the center ie. the players sub and maybe at sunset/sunrise the colour could be altered a bit! Other than that it's fantastic!

ok
Rick!

coronas
02-19-09, 08:39 PM
@JCWolf

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147977

http://hosted.filefront.com/makman94/

makman94
02-19-09, 09:07 PM
Did you base your env on OLC's mod? Phil Thomsen did the exact same and changed the sea effects magnificently (with a few graphical changes by me!) but i quoted earlier and i must apologogise to you i complained about your mod being to reflective, but this was before the PRO mod was released and now i must swallow my words this mod is by far the best looking and especially in the fact it is far less a FPS user!! Though i still think the sun glare across the water could do with narrowing towards the center ie. the players sub and maybe at sunset/sunrise the colour could be altered a bit! Other than that it's fantastic!

ok
Rick!

hello IFRT-WHUFC,
no need for apologies . yes ,the M.E.P. is based on olce2. i have made new waves (which ,i believe , are the far best ) ,new reflection maps ,new sun reflections, tweaks on scene.dat and changed about the whole colours.
yes ,i know that a lot of colours needs some improves but don't forget that my main target is to get rid this *&^&*% 'polygons effect' and this is a big limitation for the colours i have in my mind to use.this is the best balance i could make! i have 'put' all my hopes to Racerboy (i have informed him about this) to beat this 'polygon effect'. if we get rid of this,prepare for a new environment

ps: sorry hitman for using your thread for these replies

Otto Heinzmeir
02-20-09, 02:49 AM
I like the pitch black nights in GWX 3.0 When the ships catch fire they look real awesome in the dark. Its also difficult to tell what nationality a ship is or even which class which is interesting and probably fairly accurate at night.

As long as my watch officer keeps giving bearing and distance I'll brighten things up after a couple torps light it up.:arrgh!: And now I can use my guns in rougher seas too. :up: