PDA

View Full Version : Need to move to another partition

SH999
02-18-09, 02:38 AM
Hello, guys. I posted my question on the general discussion, but then realized that modders may know it even better. I need to move my SHIII folder with GWX3 on another partition. What do I need to edit in the registry?

Many thanks,
SH999.

Awful Smutje
02-18-09, 07:49 AM
I don't know how the registry works, but you only need the registry path to the new direction, aren't you?

I would do it like this:

copy and rename your moded SH3 (like "SH3-moded" or something like that) and copy your savegames to a safe place
delete your moded SH3 (wich wasn't renamed) per uninstall function (this would kill your registry entry of SH3)
install a new copy of SH3 to the preferred place and patch it (if needed)
delete this copy per hand (don't use the uninstall function, you need the registry entry)
move your moded SH3 there and copy your savegames back to "my documents"
rename your moded SH3 like the fresh install, you've installed in step 3.Its a lot of work, I know. But this is the easiest way without messing around in your registry, I guess.

danlisa
02-18-09, 08:09 AM
Don't worry about the registry.

Copy/Cut the entire Silent Hunter program directory to your new partition and then re-direct your shortcut (or create a new one).

Simple as that.

P.S Other programs (ala SH3 Commander) will need redirection too.

Awful Smutje
02-18-09, 08:11 AM

Copy/Cut the entire Silent Hunter program directory to your new partition and then re-direct your shortcut (or create a new one).

Simple as that.

Hey didn't know that, next time I'll try it! :yeah:

SH999
02-18-09, 08:14 AM

Simple as that.

Awesome, thanks!

SH999.

danlisa
02-18-09, 08:15 AM
Hey didn't know that, next time I'll try it! :yeah:

No problem.

I think, at one point, I had around 5 installs of SH3 modded/unmodded on different HDDs and different partitions. It never caused me any trouble.