PDA

View Full Version : Need confirmation on a mod.

richardphat
02-18-09, 12:46 AM
Ahoy, hoy.....
I plan to release a small mod that modifies the caracteristics of shell splash from 11".
11" splash will become similar to 14"+ splash
Just want to make sure if this have been already released or not.
Even though, I gave few glimpses on the mod list. I am still anxious and want to make thing clear.

HW3
02-18-09, 11:22 AM
I do not recall seeing a mod like this so, go ahead and release it.

Graf Paper
02-18-09, 11:42 AM
Even if something like this has already been done go ahead and release it.

There's no rule that says you can't create a new or better mod of something that's already been done. Your implementation could be more elegant or have better effects.

In fact, there's no rules regarding what you do with mod releases. They are just guidelines for what the community feels is proper etiquette and courtesy.

Modders can't enforce copyright laws on material that is already an unofficial addition to or alteration of copyrighted and trademarked material. We are allowed to mod this game by Ubi out of goodwill towards its fans. The company could just as easily shut this all down and be well within their legal rights to do so.

If this is original work you've done on your own then post away! Otherwise, you may wish to clear it with whoever did the original mod if you used their files. You'll gain respect and a good reputation this way.

What starts as a shell splash could lead to your eventual release of an entirely new and better effects package for SH3. Learn all you can about how DirectX handles textures, particles, and emitters. Every single effect in the game is done this way.

Looking forward to your work! :up: