PDA

View Full Version : need help for modding buoyancy

jean74
02-17-09, 05:05 PM
Hi kaleunts,

If someone could say to me where the buoyancy parameters for the u-boat are hidden it would be nice !

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards

Jean

Graf Paper
02-17-09, 06:48 PM
Using the VIIB u-boat as an example....

Look in the folder where you have installed SH3.
Go to the folder that holds the data for the VIIB - data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7b.
Using Silent 3ditor ( S3D ), open the file NSS_Uboat7b.sim.
Now look for a section called unit_Submarine.
Inside there look for unit_Ship.
Inside that heading look for unit_Hydro.
Under unit_Hydro you'll see a value called mass = .The number assigned to mass controls how "heavy" the u-boat is in relation to the water. GWX uses a number, 752.8, that causes the u-boat to be just a little lighter than the water. This is why, at slow speeds, your depth will usually be a full meter higher than what you've ordered in GWX. Stock SH3 1.4b uses a value of 0.0, which makes the u-boat completely neutral causing it to maintain depth with no effort. Using a negative number, such as -300.0, will make the u-boat slightly heavier than the water and it will tend to sink when submerged unless depth is maintained by the engines.

Experiment and see what suits you best. Have fun with it! :salute:

jean74
02-18-09, 06:59 AM
Dear Graph Paper,

Many many thanks for your reply and explanation. I saw the mas number 752.8 but I didn't think that it modified the buoyancy.

So, a another time many thanks,
I'll try it today

Best regards

Jean

PS sorry for my poor english language

Hitman
02-18-09, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the information, very useful :up:

Graf Paper
02-18-09, 10:46 AM
You're very welcome, jean74 and Hitman. :)

I am far from being an "expert" modder. In fact, I know just a few small things but I try to share what I do know because that is how we keep the SH3 modding community alive and growing. As people leave the scene they have been taking their knowledge with them and this will eventually cause the SH3 modding community to die.

There is still so much that can be done, despite the fact SH3 mods have been around almost as long as the game itself. Just look at Racerboy's recent discovery about the '2,0 nodes' creating weathering effects for your u-boat that change over time. All that is needed is curiosity, patience, and finishing what you start.

You can thank me in the best way by passing on what you know and will learn so the next generation can bring us some exciting things. :up:

jean74
02-18-09, 01:01 PM
Dear Graph Paper,

To answer you, I give you my discovery about SH3.
To create light flickering when u-boat is damaged during depht-charging I change the armor level to -1 in the data/submarine/NSS_uboat**/NSS_uboat.zon (collisionableObject). And it make work the ramming if the armor level in the collisionableObject for the ship is great enough and if the rebound is low (0.01).

For me it work fine and not altered the submarine strenght but improve very much the gameplay.

Try it and tell me...

I wish you find this helpfull,

Recently I work during several weeks to try to increase the ship sound inside the u-boat (when the ship cruise above). But I failled.:wah:

Best regards,
And thanks for your help,

Jean

coronas
02-18-09, 04:17 PM
You're very welcome, jean74 and Hitman. :)

I am far from being an "expert" modder. In fact, I know just a few small things but I try to share what I do know because that is how we keep the SH3 modding community alive and growing. As people leave the scene they have been taking their knowledge with them and this will eventually cause the SH3 modding community to die.

There is still so much that can be done, despite the fact SH3 mods have been around almost as long as the game itself. Just look at Racerboy's recent discovery about the '2,0 nodes' creating weathering effects for your u-boat that change over time. All that is needed is curiosity, patience, and finishing what you start.

You can thank me in the best way by passing on what you know and will learn so the next generation can bring us some exciting things. :up:

Thanks for your words Graf Paper. This is the Spirit I found when I arrived to SubSim and I hope always follow.
With all my respects!! :salute: :salute: :salute: