PDA

View Full Version : interesting effect found while playing with 2/0 node

TheDarkWraith
02-15-09, 09:16 AM
I stumbled upon this rather neat effect while tinkering with 2/0 nodes with Apollo. I don't yet fully understand why changing this one value does this but I'm investigating. It appears that it has something to do with the alpha component in the TGA. I'd say this Turm has seen some better days. Looks like someone forgot to replace the sacrificial anodes during PMs...
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/rusted_out.jpg

edit: extracted out the TGAs and none of them have alpha channels so it's not the alpha component causing this. Hmmm.....

TheDarkWraith
02-15-09, 10:41 AM
ok now I'm just having fun. Made a ghost ship to see if it would work.....creepy....
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ghost_ship.jpg

Hitman
02-15-09, 10:53 AM
That looks like a skin done by Yamato9 for the Type IX called "U-505 Lion" IIRC :hmmm:

TheDarkWraith
02-15-09, 11:01 AM
That looks like a skin done by Yamato9 for the Type IX called "U-505 Lion" IIRC :hmmm:

stock 1.4b VIIb with only the green channel enabled for all the maps (TGAs) and self-illumination set to 0x50. Can make any color. I chose to make a green ghost ship. Specular and diffuse set to 0 so lights shine right through it and have no effect.

Are you talking about the rusted out one with the holes? That was done by changing one value in the type 2/0 nodes. Stock 1.4b VIIb used on that one also. Can't quite figure out what this one value is actually doing though to the maps (TGAs).

-SWCowboy.
02-15-09, 11:25 AM
I attempted a ghost ship with S3D once, problem with it was the damn torpedo tubes and periscopes screwed up the opacity and didn't make it look right at all. That green one looks pretty cool though :up:

tater
02-15-09, 12:10 PM
What one value was it?

Opacity, Diffuse color, Specular color, Specular strength, Glossiness, or Emissive?

(also 2-sided cull and disable z-buffer check boixes possible)

tater

Hitman
02-15-09, 12:12 PM
Are you talking about the rusted out one with the holes? That was done by changing one value in the type 2/0 nodes. Stock 1.4b VIIb used on that one also. Can't quite figure out what this one value is actually doing though to the maps (TGAs).

Yes, that one :up: , not the ghost ship one.

May be you found a hidden controller put there to "deteriorate" the U-Boat as the patrol goes by. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was another one for having beards grow :hmmm:

tater
02-15-09, 12:14 PM
Might be a weathering texture, and set opacity to 0, and goes invisible.