PDA

View Full Version : Gwx Exe Omg Wtf?

mmm...Dönitz
02-13-09, 04:51 PM
What on earth is going on with the single file install for GWX3.0 I downloaded?

I downloaded this file a few weeks back onto my PC and it installed no problem - even over a not completely "clean" install of SH3. However, recently I've put SH3 on my girlfriend's PC but I'm having hee-uge issues with getting GWX on there too.

The issue seems to be that the file cannot be transported from my PC to hers no matter what method I use. I've written a DVD ROM and put two copies on my trusty memory stick (which I use for work to carry files all the time). The DVD data was verifies at the time of writing, and the size of the memory stick files was the same as the source file. Every single copy of my downloaded GWX3.0 install fails with a "source file is corrupt" mesage at varying stages from right at the start (after you click the installation language) to some random point part way through.

I've never had so many problems simply moving a file from one place to another and I am at a complete loss as to what is going on. OK, its a large file but nothing like a DVD image for example.

Tonight as a last resort I'm going to download it onto her PC from scratch.

bigboywooly
02-13-09, 05:04 PM
Well if you can try using it on another PC will give you an idea if the copy is corrupt
If works on another PC then maybe your GFs comp
I know JCWolf has issues with large size files being corrupt on extract no matter what the D\L source
Had a similar issue on my last comp also

irish1958
02-13-09, 05:15 PM
I had the same problem on my old computer with large files. Shortly after, my Hard Drive died.
Two solutions come to mind:
Try dl the six part file and exe from GWX website and use that, or install SHIII on her computer, and copy your data folder from GWX3.0 and overwrite her data file.

OneTinSoldier
02-13-09, 05:43 PM
You could also consider running a filesystem check(aka, disk check) on your computer, and on hers. Open up a command prompt and type in the following command...

chkdsk /F

You will probably be prompted to reboot. If you want to you can run it without the /F option and it should show you the results of the filesystem check and tell you whether there are problems that need to be fixed with the /F option. Believe or not, as long as the disk is not failing, a lot of times a problem such as this are due what is called a 'dirty' filesystem. The chdsk utility can help you make sure you have a 'clean' filesystem(no errors with it).

Good Luck

SquareSteelBar
02-14-09, 03:08 AM
Hi Dönitz,

at first you should do an md5 hash sum check of the GWX3_Full.exe. If the result isn't d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e the single installer file is corrupted.

Cheers,
SquareSteelBar

Castout
02-14-09, 04:30 AM
I had similar problem I couldn't do a reinstall then. The file was corrupted.

Note that the MD5 that Bts site provided is never a match. For the acurate MD5 check the sticky thread on GWX3 above. I put the MD5 there and a number of people also put theirs. They are the same number. So don't worry if you're getting MD5 mismatch with the one provided by bts site.

mmm...Dönitz
02-14-09, 07:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I downloaded the file again last night direct onto her PC and it installed first go. I'll do the MD5 check on the file I have at home to see if it is actually my original copy that has got corrupted sometime after I installed it.

I'll also run a chkdsk /f on both machines at some point to see if anything is a miss.

Thanks again :)

Jimbuna
02-14-09, 08:30 AM
You might also want to consider burning your files do disc as an ISO....Nero is a good choice of software for this procedure http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif