PDA

View Full Version : Sh3 Gen and GWX3

Archive1
02-12-09, 11:21 PM
A question: I have used Sh3Gen with previous versions of GWX without problems. But now if I load it (after clearing port as advised) I get a CTD when I next load the same patrol after saving and exiting. Anyone else having this problem? I seem to have no such events with SH3 Commander or if I do not load Sh3Gen.

I sent a PM to...Global (?)...can't recall his complee handle, but I don't know if he's still active since there has been no answer.

This is not a game killer problem, but it is handy to have the RAF bases loaded in so you can draw a circle of possible aircraft contacts for a given patrol. And having merchants named and located in ports is a nice touch. There are some crazy icebergs lurking around coasts that would not actually have them, however.

A Very Super Market
02-12-09, 11:29 PM
First, try setting the number of intelligence reports lower. GWX has more random ships (Worthless ones, like trawlers) so, try and get to open ocean and as far away from shore as possible before trying anything.

irish1958
02-13-09, 08:46 AM
A question: I have used Sh3Gen with previous versions of GWX without problems. But now if I load it (after clearing port as advised) I get a CTD when I next load the same patrol after saving and exiting. Anyone else having this problem? I seem to have no such events with SH3 Commander or if I do not load Sh3Gen.

I sent a PM to...Global (?)...can't recall his complee handle, but I don't know if he's still active since there has been no answer.

This is not a game killer problem, but it is handy to have the RAF bases loaded in so you can draw a circle of possible aircraft contacts for a given patrol. And having merchants named and located in ports is a nice touch. There are some crazy icebergs lurking around coasts that would not actually have them, however.

I haven't had this problem. How much RAM do you have?

Awful Smutje
02-13-09, 09:10 AM
I have no problem, too.

Except icebergs in french harbours... :o

Archive1
02-13-09, 10:43 PM
Irish1958: The same, of course, as I had with GWX 2.1 (or whatever it was), ie, 2 Gbytes, and had no problems.
AVSM: I have always just accepted the default intelligence reports and, as I mentioned, always wait until I'm far from port to activate the mod.
Smutje: Yes, as well as off Spain, the Netherlands etc. Have yet to find any in the Med!

It may not, indeed, be SH3Gen, but something else. It just seemed to me to be correlated with my activating the mod. I'll dig deeper.
I appreciate the replies.

GlobalExplorer
02-14-09, 10:07 AM
here a repost of my suggestion for the dolphin / iceberg problem:

Hey tuddley

Yes. They represent dolphins. Dolphins are more of a hack in that they were ommited from the original release and they do syntactically not conform the standard. A lot of them were coded in after I finished the bulk work on Sh3Gen, and to be honest, I never got round to fixing the problem (which could only be in the form of a hack in the Sh3Gen parser), and dont think I ever will.

There is an easy way to get rid of the problem. All output text strings can be found in files and the "iceberg" string can be found in:

Sh3Gen\Database\Dictionary\English\Map.names

or

Sh3Gen\Database\Dictionary\German\Map.names

if you are using german as output language.

If you now look for the line

<Name Key="Iceberg">Icebergs</Name>

and change it to (for example)

<Name Key="Iceberg">Environmental</Name>

it should not bother you any more.

There could also be a way to supress them altogether in Parameters.ini, but I don't remember now.

for this and other questions please refer to this thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88438&page=24&highlight=sh3gen