PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] OLC "Constant weather" env

Hitman
02-12-09, 12:25 PM
This is a request to OLC or anyone who has the proper modding skills to do or explain a bit how to do an OLC environment mod for a more constant weather.

The idea is to make a set of two scene.dat files like this:

1) One where the waves are small to medium and clouds light wihite to light, in fact replacing the stormy weather with a more mild one. This scene.dat would be ideal for patrols in the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean and Central Pacific or Caribbean (Yes I know those zones see sometimes heavy storms but they are less frequent than in the current game's weather patterns)

2) One where the waves are always medium and the clouds grey to dark grey. This would be in fact an "North Atlantic" and "Arctic Ocean" file, with more constant bad weather and almost never good weather, but where waves never reach the storm size.

What I want is to eliminate the stormy weather, when waves are constantly covering your watch crew and you can't play effectively anymore, a pattern that comes too often for my taste and kills much of the fun. At the same time, I want to get a more realistic weather pattern according to the areas I'm patrolling in.

Would this be possible? Is it a heavly load of work? Can at least someone point me which parameters of the scene.dat file have to be modified for having this?

NGT
02-12-09, 12:32 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=130147&highlight=RealWeatherFix

:up:

But, if you need the parameters, PM to me, or, better, to Stiebler :cool:

(parameters: not only inside scene.dat, but in the beginning of Campaigns files too.)

Graf Paper
02-12-09, 12:33 PM
A good place to start might be taking a look at the "Real Weather Fix 2" files and seeing which ones were involved with the making of that mod.

Good luck, Hitman! :up:

bigboywooly
02-12-09, 01:20 PM
Interesting idea

And if I am not mistaken one that can be used with SH3commander
Drop your scene dats into the Flotilla folders and the correct dat is auto selected
Much the same as the 29th uses a diff sea colour
Using the Env.cfg

SH3 Commander\Flotilla\907\data\Env

As does the 11th

SH3 Commander\Flotilla\906\data\Env

makman94
02-12-09, 02:48 PM
hello hitman ,do a quick experiment,

open scene.dat and go to envsim-->wind-->waveproperties

at [3] situation ,after the line 'windspeed=15' change all the values with the values that you read from [2] situation but leave the seaspeed as it is.

now if you think that the waves at heavy seas are too small go again at [3] situation and at scale values set the Y value to a bit higher number.keep that till you find the hight that you like

its a quick and easy to do experiment.

tell me what you got...

bye

Hitman
02-12-09, 03:11 PM
I can't find that entry in the current GWX 16km mod :hmmm: probably the GWX Team modified the file and it can't be readed. I'll try with OLC env and report.

makman94
02-12-09, 03:19 PM
I can't find that entry in the current GWX 16km mod :hmmm: probably the GWX Team modified the file and it can't be readed. I'll try with OLC env and report.

are you sure hitman ?

asuming that you are talking of olc's gwx 16 km mod ,just check it and its all in there

Hitman
02-12-09, 03:51 PM
No I had been looking for it in the GWX 16km file, but now I am using OLCE2 and found it :up:

Hitman
02-12-09, 04:09 PM
Yeeehawww it WORKS :DL

Now I can set the sea to be a maximum of heavy....so I can effectively never have those horrible storms.....or have the minimum weather be already rough.

What I need to determine now is:

A) How to replace the clouds so that I get only grey or white clouds with the respective weather pattern,

B) What controls the sky being grey or blue, so I can make it grey in a higher number of situations.

Anyway, just changing the waves and the clouds I think I can ensure a realistic weather for each patrol area I want to cover :D

And if I am not mistaken one that can be used with SH3commander
Drop your scene dats into the Flotilla folders and the correct dat is auto selected
Much the same as the 29th uses a diff sea colour
Using the Env.cfg

SH3 Commander\Flotilla\907\data\Env

As does the 11th

SH3 Commander\Flotilla\906\data\Env

Brilliant BBW :yeah: ...and may be even make it seasonal? i.e. worser weather in winter, better in summer? (In the future, creating more patterns)

Turns out as this mod should be mainly for SH3 Commander users :up:

I'll experiment a bit more and then ask OLC for permissions if I'm satisfied with the results and think it's worth sharing.

makman94
02-12-09, 04:48 PM
for the A.a quick thing you can do is:open with a graphic programme the nori00.tga ,make as darker as you want (only ingame test will show you the results ,so make backups first) and name the new image you create nori01.tga and replace the nori01.tga in misc folder with that.
be warned that maybe (haven't test this) you see strange colours at stormy situations becuase there will be the need to adgust the colors also in envcolors.dat and some others tweaks maybe need too.so just do the first one and see what you get

B.the sky colors are altered by the skycolors_atl.dat file ,its the embedded image in there.export it to your desktop,open it with a graphic programme,make it as you want and import it back there(again only in-game test will show you the results)

goooood luck

IFRT-WHUFC
02-13-09, 11:49 AM
I thought about this a while back! I did create an EnvColours_NSea and SkyColors_NSea but i found it to difficult to implement well enough for a release, it was ok when sailing out of German ports but then the flotilla.cfg implements constant changes of patrol grid and these could be anywhere Arctic, Bay of Biscay etc. Just a shame the game doesn't implement more zonal weather via time of year ie. Summer/Winter etc if this was the case it would be quite simple to trick the rain controller to produce a snow effect! You could certainly create individual env & sky colors for particular regions/time of year and implement them via date based option in SH3 Commander but this is difficult due to the way the grids are assigned because you may be sailing in two regions.

Anyway just my 2 cents

ok
Rick

irish1958
02-13-09, 05:26 PM
BBW and Hitman are correct; SH3CMDR can do this; in addition you can use JSGME either with CMDR or SHIII and include the files you want in a mod folder, and just activate them with the particular patrol. The only problem I see is long patrols, say from the North Atlantic to South America.

IFRT-WHUFC
02-13-09, 08:18 PM
BBW and Hitman are correct; SH3CMDR can do this; in addition you can use JSGME either with CMDR or SHIII and include the files you want in a mod folder, and just activate them with the particular patrol. The only problem I see is long patrols, say from the North Atlantic to South America.

What i was saying is of the same fact of the long patrols!! you start in 8/1939 at Kiel or Wilhelmshaven and you can be sent into the north atlantic, the baltic , north sea the coast of norway near the arctic etc. each area needs to be different especially at seasonal values pending Arctic, Equatorial, and towards Antarctic! example you set out of kiel in september you reach grid xx near Iceland! Even if it's still september the probability of snowy weather and darker seas should be far greater! Regional and Seasonal colouring or (coloring as American's Spell it)

PS I like Manos's Environment Pro mod a lot but i think it reflects far to much! I've reworked PT's version to some extent you can d/load it at my filefront site latest version is renamed "Rick's Environment v5.0.rar" here: http://hosted.filefront.com/Rickpeters/

And before anyone screams yes PT did give me permission!!

ok
Rick.

Letum
02-13-09, 11:43 PM
Can Fog get the same treatment?

Hitman
02-14-09, 02:38 AM
What i was saying is of the same fact of the long patrols!! you start in 8/1939 at Kiel or Wilhelmshaven and you can be sent into the north atlantic, the baltic , north sea the coast of norway near the arctic etc. each area needs to be different especially at seasonal values pending Arctic, Equatorial, and towards Antarctic! example you set out of kiel in september you reach grid xx near Iceland! Even if it's still september the probability of snowy weather and darker seas should be far greater! Regional and Seasonal colouring or (coloring as American's Spell it)

Yes I had already thought about that, BUT the thing is, you can switch between environmental mods in saved games with no apparent bad effects. Hence you can sail out of Lorient with your Type IX in typichal Bay of Biscay winter weather, and by the time you arrive to the Azores, when you are sure you are not in the area of an airbase nor there are any other units closeby (Time compression is the giveaway here) switch the environment to a tropical one, and have your correct weather pattern for your Gulf of Mexico patrol :yeah:

I certainly prefer this to the current weather in SH3, I always felt stupid when seeing calm weather and bright sun in the North Atlantic in February :damn: , but now I can guarantee at last that even if the sky is clear, the waves can be moderate and the wind heavier. Which is also correct for bright days in the North Atlantic winter :up:

I'll experiment with this a bit more and will try to get three different "constant weather" patterns based upon OLC's environment.

Hitman
02-14-09, 02:41 AM
I thought about this a while back! I did create an EnvColours_NSea and SkyColors_NSea but i found it to difficult to implement well enough for a release, it was ok when sailing out of German ports but then the flotilla.cfg implements constant changes of patrol grid and these could be anywhere Arctic, Bay of Biscay etc. Just a shame the game doesn't implement more zonal weather via time of year ie. Summer/Winter etc if this was the case it would be quite simple to trick the rain controller to produce a snow effect! You could certainly create individual env & sky colors for particular regions/time of year and implement them via date based option in SH3 Commander but this is difficult due to the way the grids are assigned because you may be sailing in two regions.

SH3 Commander probably would be able to do that by tracing where you are and where you go to, but it would need some rework in the code, and I'm afraid Jaesen is no longer interested in that after the last release. Never mind, I think that using JGSME combined with mid-patrol saves will do the job :yep:

Hitman
02-14-09, 02:43 AM
for the A.a quick thing you can do is:open with a graphic programme the nori00.tga ,make as darker as you want (only ingame test will show you the results ,so make backups first) and name the new image you create nori01.tga and replace the nori01.tga in misc folder with that.
be warned that maybe (haven't test this) you see strange colours at stormy situations becuase there will be the need to adgust the colors also in envcolors.dat and some others tweaks maybe need too.so just do the first one and see what you get

B.the sky colors are altered by the skycolors_atl.dat file ,its the embedded image in there.export it to your desktop,open it with a graphic programme,make it as you want and import it back there(again only in-game test will show you the results)

There only seem to be two types of clouds, a grey and a white one, is that correct?

If so I'd say that simply tweaking or copying and replacing the needed one would be enough. Thanks for the tip :up:

makman94
02-14-09, 03:58 AM
There only seem to be two types of clouds, a grey and a white one, is that correct?--yes

If so I'd say that simply tweaking or copying and replacing the needed one would be enough.--well, its not so simple but if you are ok with the results you see then job is done! :up:

bye

makman94
02-14-09, 04:12 AM
PS I like Manos's Environment Pro mod a lot but i think it reflects far to much! I've reworked PT's version to some extent you can d/load it at my filefront site latest version is renamed "Rick's Environment v5.0.rar" here: http://hosted.filefront.com/Rickpeters/

hello IFRT-WHUFC,i live by the sea and i am watching her every day .i ensure you that when is CALM you can see every detail of sky on water (more than my mod) .when is 'angry', well, not so much but reflects again.your eye can't catch it becuase the sea is full of 'cups' and 'buffles' but at the spots that water is clear ...reflects .its only game :-? and i am afraid that can't catch the reality at heavy seas .
a good idea would be ...someone to full the sea with 'cups' when heavy but i don't know how to do this or if can be done (i made some tests but no... results )
if you have some ideas...just fire!
best regards

Hitman
02-15-09, 08:41 AM
So far I have found out that the relevant files are just the scene.dat and the EnvAtl.dat, not the SkyAtl.dat.

In Scene.dat there are 4 types of waves, each for a wind state,

in EnvAtl.dat there are 3 types of weather: Fair, moderate and bad.

It seems that the game engine selects at random the wind speed, and the changes in it make of course the waves change, then the sky follows more or less a similar and paralell pattern.

The good thing is that I have discovered that simply eliminating the weather or waves you don't like....the game doesn't crash and you don't get that type of weather or wave :DL

Still the game does however make wind changes, and also puts fog and rain, but tweaking them also provides a relatively mild weather even in those conditions (Where you would normally have storm and heavy seas).

If only I could find the controller for the maximum wind speed (Currently 15 m/s), I could probably nail it all down a lot and have an almost perfect environment.

So far I have prepared two sets: A rough weather one, and a fair weather one. As the name suggests, in the fair weather you only have fair or moderate seas, and in the rough weather you have moderate or heavy seas (But heavy sea waves have been reduced a bit because the game tends to get stuck in bad weather too long and that makes it unplayable). Works great so far, using the 1st for Central Atlantic, Caribbean, Indian Ocean and Mediterranean, and the 2nd for North and South Atlantic or Arctic.:yeah:

bigboywooly
02-15-09, 10:07 AM
Nice one Hitman
Looking forward to some screens and your results

Hitman
02-15-09, 12:06 PM
This is now the WORST weather you will have with the "fair weather" set-up (Though you can also have rain, if not a strong one) and it is also the BEST you can have with the rough weather set-up (Though it stays like this for long periods):

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5348/36306603nf9.jpg

And this is how it looks from the bridge:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7971/18321966od1.jpg

Another shot, showing the interesting effect caused by the game using the clouds it thinks proper for a storm, BUT where there actually isn't one. Looks nice IMHO :DL :

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1245/26504716vo3.jpg

I've noticed that now I only seldomly get clear skies (No clouds), mostly are covered like the one showed above or with puffy white clouds. I must however find the controller for the wind speed, because while you see a relatively good weather, the game thinks it's actually not that good and therefore doesn't allow you to use the deck gun :hmmm:

coronas
02-15-09, 01:31 PM
Clouds looks excellent. Third shot is like calm before tempest. :up:

Volk2
10-06-10, 11:07 AM
An old thread, but as my profession is archaeology it should be no problem :shucks:

Is there a mod for OLC environment adapted to Mediterranean sea? (Or for others specific areas?). I'm playing now a mediterranean campaign, so it would be nice to see some difference.

Volk2
10-09-10, 09:09 AM
So far I have prepared two sets: A rough weather one, and a fair weather one. As the name suggests, in the fair weather you only have fair or moderate seas, and in the rough weather you have moderate or heavy seas (But heavy sea waves have been reduced a bit because the game tends to get stuck in bad weather too long and that makes it unplayable). Works great so far, using the 1st for Central Atlantic, Caribbean, Indian Ocean and Mediterranean, and the 2nd for North and South Atlantic or Arctic.:yeah:

Hitman, do you maybe still have those two sets? It looks very interesting.

Sailor Steve
10-09-10, 10:03 AM
An old thread, but as my profession is archaeology it should be no problem :shucks:
At least you know the proper way to resurrect a dead thread. So many just jump in as if the last post was made yesterday.

It is an interesting question. Could these be made available?

Volk2
10-09-10, 10:22 AM
At least you know the proper way to resurrect a dead thread.

ARISE, DEAD THREAD! I summon the Hitman!
http://i53.tinypic.com/a3mwew.jpg

(If Hitman will not give us an answer, I will turn him into a zombie :know:)