PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Online Gaming Mods for GWX and SH3

Graf Paper
02-12-09, 12:00 PM
Introducing the ComSubsPac Online Gaming Mods for GWX 3.0 and SH3 v1.4b! :woot:

These two mods are for use with multiplayer missions in GWX and stock, or "vanilla", Silent Hunter III v 1.4b.

Ever created a multiplayer mission only to have your best laid plans ruined by...

shore batteries annihilating that enemy task force
or aircraft flying in from 400 km away to rain destruction upon your harbor
or warships arriving on the scene that begin blasting everything in sight...leaving your players with objectives that are impossible to acheive?

Well, your worries are over! ALL these units have been removed from the "world", leaving only the harbors, their searchlights, and anti-aircraft gun emplacements
( those darn airplanes can fend for themselves! :O: ).

This means that multiplayer mission designers now have complete freedom in choosing what units they place in the mission and how they wish the action to unfold! Of course, this also means you'll have to place your own airbases and shore defenses in addition to any ships or AI submarines.

Players will enjoy much faster loading times, an average of 30-50 seconds for the typical GWX 3.0 multiplayer mission and 20-40 seconds for "vanilla" SH3 multiplayer missions, depending on the lag among the players' connections. :yep:

Say goodbye to lags and disconnects due to unwanted units overcrowding your already busy missions! :cool:

You can also use this mod for much faster loading times in single-player missions, too! Just remember the missions will need to be properly populated with the units you will be missing in the world location where the mission takes place. Recommended only for experience mission designers! :know:

This mod is JSGME ready and includes a tooltip that appears when you hover your mouse over its listing in JSGME as a helpful reminder (Thanks for having that feature built in, Jaesen!). Simply unzip the appropriate file and then place the folder as-is into your MODS folder, located in your folder where you have installed SH3 or GWX.

If you do not already have JSGME, I strongly urge you to install that very handy utility! It makes adding and removing mods as simple as two clicks. :yeah:

You can download these mods at my little modding home, Beyond The Shadows (http://www.bts-mods.com)! My deepest thanks to SWCowboy for hosting these files and the friendly, personal attention he gave to helping me set things up. I highly recommend bts-mods for anyone that needs a place to host their mods without limits, ads, or hassles plus you get your own place to discuss your work! Your courtesty and generosity are deeply appreciated, SWC!

Here's the links:

CSP Online Mod v1.0-GWX CSP Online Mod v1.0-SH3 (http://www.bts-mods.com/?page=sh3user=grafpaper)

Please bear in mind that you must have this mod enabled before opening your Mission Editor to create missions! Existing missions may not work as intended and missions created with this mod will not work as intended without this mod enabled.

The inspiration for these mods is from my time spent playing online with a very fun bunch of guys at ComSubsPac. Missions getting ruined or made way too complicated were frustrating everyone, especially the people that created the missions!

I used the empty campaign files provided by Ubisoft to the SH3 modding community and edited the Land Units campaign layers in GWX and SH3 to remove the defenses and airbases that have been causing problems. It took the better part of a week to edit the GWX map for the entire world in my spare time. The Grey Wolves certainly were thorough in fleshing out the basic world of stock SH3 when creating the world for GWX! Who do I send the optometrist bill to for my bleeding eyes? :o

Many thanks go out to owner20071963 and PaulH513, over at www.comsubspac.com (http://www.comsubspac.com), for providing test missions and helping inspire the idea for these much needed mods. You guys have given me hours of fun playing SH3 and GWX online!

A special thanks to BigBoyWooly, creator of the original GWX Online Gaming Mod. As the saying goes, I have succeeded because I have stood upon the shoulders of giants, and you are indeed a giant among the SH3 modding community, good sir! Your blessing upon my efforts means a lot to me.

And, of course, my profuse gratitude to Ubisoft and the SH3 Dev Team for giving us the absolute best World War II submarine warfare simulation ever made!

I hope you all enjoy using this mod and have great joy with the new possibilites open to action in multiplayer game play!

DON'T FORGET TO READ THE INCLUDED TEXT FILES FOR CRITICAL INFORMATION.

-SWCowboy.
02-12-09, 06:17 PM
Great work Graf, makes for much faster loading for skin testing as well!

:yeah::yeah:

magicsub2
02-13-09, 02:46 AM
does this change campaign?

danlisa
02-13-09, 03:01 AM
does this change campaign? http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s64/danlisa_photo/Smilies/facepalm3.gif

Nice one Graf.:up:

A special thanks to BigBoyWooly, creator of the original GWX Online Gaming Mod. As the saying goes, I have succeeded because I have stood upon the shoulders of giants, and you are indeed a giant among the SH3 modding community, good sir!
You've seen his picture then.:har:

magicsub2
02-13-09, 05:07 AM
well does it??

Graf Paper
02-13-09, 11:42 AM
This mod is an extensive modification of the campaign layers so it does indeed alter the Campaign, magicsub.

This mod is not for use with your Career mode. You would find yourself in an empty world with only your own u-boat and the harbors!

It is meant to be used for individual missions, primarily multiplayer but it works very well for single player missions if the maps are properly done.

Also, as SWCowboy has said, it is great for modders to test their work by further reducing the loading times and allowing them to test their skins, units, environments, and GUI mods more rapidly. Good one there, SWC! :know:

Thanks for the compliment, danlisa. I hope you will enjoy using either mod for mission play, mission creation, or mod testing.

You're right about BBW. I think I may be related... he looks like a long-lost brother! :har:

PaulH513
02-13-09, 02:48 PM
Thanks Graf for all your hard work, it is very much appreciated.:salute:
I might even have your sub facing out of the sub pen correctly next time and keep the other guys arse backwards :03:

bigboywooly
02-13-09, 02:50 PM
Nice one GP

* ignores other comments *

Graf Paper
02-14-09, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the compliments, guys. It's good to know the work is already being appreciated. :DL

@Paul...Even if you did reward me with such a break, it just means I'd be the one out front when the bombers started dropping their load! You have a fiendishly clever gift for mission design, my friend! :rotfl:

@BBW...I understand your modesty causing you to withold comment but there are so few of us truly handsome men left in this world! :smug:

Glad you're all having fun! :woot:

owner20071963
07-22-09, 06:32 PM
Great work Graf :up:
Lets hope its not copied elsewhere :D

ReallyDedPoet
07-22-09, 07:45 PM
Closed for a few repairs. Will re-open later on in the AM.

Edit: Now open for business. And let's take the high road folks going forward.

Onkel Neal
07-22-09, 10:14 PM
I've given Owner several chances to let this go, I'm afraid he has declined. He now has been asked to leave.

It was an obvious mistake on my part to accept him as a moderator. Live and learn.

Neal