PDA

View Full Version : TMO - RSRD: Coral Sea Battle vanished?

aldeluca
02-11-09, 12:37 PM
I enjoy TMO and RSRD and recently started a new career looking for action deep into historical battles.
I presume that one of this two mods (that I enjoyed them a lot in the past with a career oriented to accomplish missions and orders received, thanks modders!), provided enough historical adaption to the stock game. I indeed consulted some website (http://www.delsjourney.com/uss_neosho/coral_sea/battle_of_coral_sea/may_05_to_07.htm) and ignoring my patrol mission on Bungo I tried to face the first great battle of '42, heading to Coral Sea.

For the whole time since 3rd of May on I was patrolling around east coast of San Cristobal island for Shokaku and Zuikaku carriers or more generally a Japanese task force ... I diligently cared of searching paths and submerged regularly for sonar contacts... No contacts for 3 days and more.

I restarted the game and placed myself west of Tulagi and Guadalcanal this time. Same diligent behaviour for the same supposed days of arrival of the IJM invasion force and nothing ... no contact, only US ship around.

Not even a radio signal asking for subs in the area for help as often happen for major events happened before, like Philippines attack, etc.

Is there something wrong in my game or the Battles are not so accurate in date or position?

Thank you for any hint provided!

lurker_hlb3
02-11-09, 06:36 PM
I enjoy TMO and RSRD and recently started a new career looking for action deep into historical battles.
I presume that one of this two mods (that I enjoyed them a lot in the past with a career oriented to accomplish missions and orders received, thanks modders!), provided enough historical adaption to the stock game. I indeed consulted some website (http://www.delsjourney.com/uss_neosho/coral_sea/battle_of_coral_sea/may_05_to_07.htm) and ignoring my patrol mission on Bungo I tried to face the first great battle of '42, heading to Coral Sea.

For the whole time since 3rd of May on I was patrolling around east coast of San Cristobal island for Shokaku and Zuikaku carriers or more generally a Japanese task force ... I diligently cared of searching paths and submerged regularly for sonar contacts... No contacts for 3 days and more.

I restarted the game and placed myself west of Tulagi and Guadalcanal this time. Same diligent behaviour for the same supposed days of arrival of the IJM invasion force and nothing ... no contact, only US ship around.

Not even a radio signal asking for subs in the area for help as often happen for major events happened before, like Philippines attack, etc.

Is there something wrong in my game or the Battles are not so accurate in date or position?

Thank you for any hint provided!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/lurker_hlb3/coralsea.jpg

aldeluca
02-12-09, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the self explaining reply Lurker...
Sorry for bothering with a second question, but I am not so deep in the mechanism of triggers and game events. I see the map uploaded refers to .mis file.
Since all my attempts to spot IJM forces were done in Campaign mode, thus I have the doubt I was misunderstood and maybe Campaign is still not as accurate as single mission.

In other words are the movements of the ships involved in a single mission (historyproof I should say from the map provided) reproduced also in campaign mode, according to correct historical timeline?

tater
02-12-09, 10:21 PM
The campaign is every single .mis file called on (by patrol date range) within the Campaign.cfg file. That battle is in campaign mode.

Since single missions can also load campaign files (they load almost all of them, actually), to make a single mission if the Coral Sea within RSRDC, all you need to do is make a mission that puts your boat there on the right date, and that's it, done.

tater

aldeluca
02-13-09, 11:20 AM
Crystal clear Tater! :salute:

Many thanks!

tater
02-13-09, 02:04 PM
I should be clear that the Campaign.cfg pulls missions from inside the Campaign folder, not the SingleMissions folder (though with a path set right, I don't see why it wouldn't)/.

You could make an entirely new battle, for example, and place it in that folder, then add an entry to Campaigns.cfg at the end (following the pattern) and that new mission file would now be part of every campaign.