PDA

View Full Version : Merchant Ship Guns

ridgewayranger
02-08-09, 01:54 PM
Hi Everybody,
How can I reduce the number of guns on merchant ships? Being met by a broadside is somewhat disheartening when in actual fact they were only allowed one large calibre gun which had to be mounted aft. Hence the term, defensively equipped merchant ships. Never a gun on the forecastle.
RR

Ruzbasan
02-08-09, 09:54 PM
I'm running GWX 3.0 Gold and had a strange thing happen regarding merchant ship guns during a recent patrol.

I sent two torpedoes into a 13,000 ton fast freighter off the coast of northern England in Dec., 1939. After waiting over an hour for the stubborn ship to sink I surfaced to finish her with gunfire. Understand that before I surfaced the freighter's decks were already awash and no crew members were at her guns. About 10 seconds after surfacing, the ship surprised me with a full broadside from her guns, damaging my U-Boat. I crash dived and promptly sent her to the bottom with a third torpedo.

How can a freighter with decks already awash suddenly open fire?

Is there a suicide crew manning her guns?

A Very Super Market
02-08-09, 11:28 PM
Ship crews don't stop being at their stations until you get the message "She's going down"

bigboywooly
02-09-09, 03:20 PM
You will have to go to the Sea folder and open each merchants folder in turn

\Ubisoft\Silent\HunterIII\data\Sea

Open the Eqp file in notepad

NKSs_ is the small merchant

[Equipment 1]
NodeName=M01
LinkName=CratePileL < Pile of crates will show from and end on the dates below
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19421231

[Equipment 2]
NodeName=M01
LinkName=PlatformL < Large platform with IIRC a 4" gun will appear on the start date below
StartDate=19430101
EndDate=19451231

[Equipment 3]
NodeName=M02
LinkName=CratePileL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19401231

[Equipment 4]
NodeName=M02
LinkName=PlatformL
StartDate=19410101
EndDate=19451231

If you want to remove a gun the replace the entry with NULL
IE
LinkName=NULL

M nodes are usually large ( Main ) calibre guns
S nodes usually Secondary arms
A nodes usually Anti aircraft

Though not always the case
*01 is usually at the bow
Again not always the case

So in the case of the small merc it will gain a bow gun on 1st Jan 43
Stern on 1st Jan 41

Hope thats of some help

Sailor Steve
02-09-09, 09:57 PM
It will be a big help for me because I've been wanting to remove all the deck cargoes from each ship until the war really gets going.

Knowing me I'll wrack up my whole game doing it, but I've re-installed everything many times before.:ping:

ridgewayranger
02-10-09, 07:38 AM
Thanks BBW,
I been putting Null in place of the gun, 3" or 4.7". Presumably this will get rid of the gun but not the platform?
RR

bigboywooly
02-11-09, 10:57 AM
Thanks BBW,
I been putting Null in place of the gun, 3" or 4.7". Presumably this will get rid of the gun but not the platform?
RR

Replacing any entry at the end of Linkname= will remove whatever is there

IE LinkName=PlatformL < will remove Platform AND attached gun
LinkName=3InchSingle < will remove 3" guns - IF on a platform then platform could well be part of 3d model of ship

bigboywooly
02-11-09, 10:59 AM
It will be a big help for me because I've been wanting to remove all the deck cargoes from each ship until the war really gets going.

Knowing me I'll wrack up my whole game doing it, but I've re-installed everything many times before.:ping:

Slight diff for your request
Sure some ships have oilbarrels or crate plies in gun node positions until they actually get guns but they entry you are looking for is in the RND

CargoExt=-1 < No cargo

GoldenRivet
02-11-09, 12:36 PM
an old salt once told me...

"man the guns and keep firing until you are treading water."