PDA

View Full Version : SH3 Commander randomised captains

Contact
02-06-09, 04:37 AM
I wanted to try simulate captain career this time so I have randomly choosen a captain and now searching for info about him. But I'm having troubles in finding historical overview of Otto Bauerfeld. Googled with no straight matches for this person linked to any u-boat. Was he realy a u-boat commander ? :hmmm:

Hylarion
02-06-09, 04:52 AM
It is stated somewhere in SH3 Commander documentation that the names are a combination of actual submarine crew member names, but mixed together (first name from one guy and last name from another I assume). Plus those names used as basis are not only captain names, but crew member names as well IIRC. Therefore, you'll most likely never get a perfect match...

Contact
02-06-09, 06:24 AM
Thats stupid, has anyone thought of why the first and second names are mixed ? Instead of full actual names to choose ?

So I don't get it, are we short of TRUE names here or what ? http://www.uboat.net/men/commanders/

I want the real names :)

And I'm ready to do this myself with a little "how to's" support. Danke

JScones
02-06-09, 07:54 AM
Erm, if you want a real name, why don't you just enter one manually? It's not hard. Heck, you've even linked to the list that you can choose from. No "How to's [sic]" necessary. Just pick a name from the list and type it in! :doh:

What's stupid is suggesting that SH3 Commander should limit randomised names to 1 of 1,400 real Commander names when:

a) not everyone wants to use real Commander names
b) those that do want real Commander names can simply enter one manually
c) SH3 Commander offers over 1.7 BILLION random name combinations - real Germanic names based on (nearly) all u-boat serving personnel, thus negating the need for players to think of names themselves

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a "random" name of Erich Topp, or Günther Prien...

Contact
02-06-09, 08:36 AM
No you haven't understood my idea. The key factor I wish to see actual names to choose randomly is very simple.
For instance imagine I wish to pretend that destiny made me be lets say Ghunter Prien or Otto Krethchmer with all the hitorically correct duty time, patrol areas to follow and so on. But the thing is I don't wish to choose actual name by myself cuz I believe I would loose some (unknown factor) excitement so to speak.. Randomisation of this feature would be really cool I think.

Earlier I used my own name for careers play. So it never was a problem for me. :)

Sailor Steve
02-06-09, 10:42 AM
Manual randomization of real names: Use dice. I do it all the time to alter the wind speed for my patrol reports.

Jaesen worked for unimaginable hours to create the system he has today, and we all love the idea that we are NOT Erich Topp, but our own selves. I used to make up names, then I fell into the habit of running the randomizer until I got a name I liked. Then one day I realized that I didn't get to choose my own name, so now I take the name it gives me first time out, and pretend it's the name my parents gave me.

I play an airwar game with friends, and we used to have a player who gave his pilots the names of real aces. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when he got Erich Hartmann killed.

Oh, and you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and to wish it was the way you want it; but calling it "stupid" is just plain rude.

Contact
02-06-09, 10:51 AM
Yeah well.. I will try to think of something similar, to immerse myself into something different :yawn: