PDA

View Full Version : [MIA] - Racerboy - ( Update: RB back at SS )

urfisch
02-01-09, 07:07 AM
where is he gone? he was one of the most anticipated, and skilled modders round here...

:-?

Freiwillige
02-01-09, 09:36 AM
Maybe the Tommies got him.

To:Racerboy

Please report location and status.

Carotio
02-01-09, 11:10 AM
According to facebook, he was last autumn working on his own tool:

10/15/08. Cr is programming his own version of 'Kashmir' for the Silent Hunter series of games.
10/24/08. Cr is admiring the fruits of his labor so far....it's quite the masterpiece, my version of Kashmir....but SO much more still has to be done!

The rest is not SH related. And the rest seems more healthy, sporty and funny than sitting programming/modding/playing SH.

urfisch
02-01-09, 05:13 PM
hey carotio...

thx a lot for this info! can you please send him a message, he may send me a pm?..ive given you my email via pm. its important, as i want this flakshells mod see finished and need the files for that...

:up:

Carotio
02-01-09, 05:19 PM
Sure,

I can send him a message with link to this thread and your mail adress, but I'm not guaranteeing that he will reply...

TheDarkWraith
02-01-09, 11:25 PM
dit...dit...dit.....BDU come in......Racerboy here......Location: home! :salute:

Yes, as Carotio has mentioned I'm busy writing my own version of Kashmir (whatever it is/was we'll never know unless they ever let us see the program) in Visual Studio 2008 C#. It is coming along nicely. You can import/export maps, view the individual subsets of each 3D model (it's mesh), assign a different map to each subset (map can be TGA/DDS - I'm thinking about coding a converter to take any format and convert to either TGA or DDS), set/view high/low res overrides, import/export 3D models (1/101 nodes) and objects (4/100 nodes), change a 4/100 node's 3D model, change the material properties of each subset (opacity, diffuse, specular, etc.), change a map to either be 1) embedded, 2) an alias (of an existing map), 3) a shadow (SHD_ type), or 4) a texture (cfg#TXR_xx), link/unlink 4/100 nodes from other 4/100s (child nodes like cfg#s and other objects), and lots of others. It's getting quite complex. Currently I'm coding in where it searches for all the cfg# entries in data\Library and adds those to the 'view' window so you can see the object in it's entirety (like the guns, spotlights, etc.). Lighting has/is still being added so spotlights light up and you can mimic the sun or a spotlight shining on the object, export pieces of the file, view the file structure, etc. It's been/is quite a learning experience :yep: The main thing I gave the program is a view window in each pane (or panel) so you can see the object as you modify it. There are multiple ways you can render the model - point mode, wireframe, solid, solid & wireframe. I'm going to add more modes as I see uses for them (like wireframe & point, solid & point, solid & wireframe & point). I have yet to code in the controllers so you can see the 'effects' from them but I have the particle generator complete so smoke and fire and the likes can be 'seen' on the objects (though it hasn't been added to the application yet). There is probably more but I can't recall now. As you can see, I've been quite busy.

Besides that I've been travelling all over the world scuba diving, getting my helicopter license, and flying in my airplanes (we, being my partners and I, just acquired a second one!).

Urfisch, the shells mod never was completed. I was awaiting back the 3D models with the backface problem but never received them. And then the aforementioned took me away from the computer. And also these games called Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and now The Witcher Enhanced Edition (AWESOME GAME!! - just got into Act II). Now that I have even more knowledge of the particle generator's some really cool effects can be done.

I've also been dabbling in programming game AI and games and furthering my knowledge of DirectX by reading every book I can get my hands on.

Signing out.....:|\\

DAT screen shot:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/Apollo_DAT_screen.jpg

3D screen shot (gives big viewing render pane to see model/changes):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/Apollo_3D_Screen.jpg

As you can see I'm still working on the layout of all the controls (add still adding controls!).

JCWolf
02-02-09, 02:41 AM
dit...dit...dit.....BDU come in......Racerboy here......Location: home! :salute:

Yes, as Carotio has mentioned I'm busy writing my own version of Kashmir (whatever it is/was we'll never know unless they ever let us see the program) in Visual Studio 2008 C#. It is coming along nicely. You can import/export maps, view the individual subsets of each 3D model (it's mesh), assign a different map to each subset (map can be TGA/DDS - I'm thinking about coding a converter to take any format and convert to either TGA or DDS), set/view high/low res overrides, import/export 3D models (1/101 nodes) and objects (4/100 nodes), change a 4/100 node's 3D model, change the material properties of each subset (opacity, diffuse, specular, etc.), change a map to either be 1) embedded, 2) an alias (of an existing map), 3) a shadow (SHD_ type), or 4) a texture (cfg#TXR_xx), link/unlink 4/100 nodes from other 4/100s (child nodes like cfg#s and other objects), and lots of others. It's getting quite complex. Currently I'm coding in where it searches for all the cfg# entries in data\Library and adds those to the 'view' window so you can see the object in it's entirety (like the guns, spotlights, etc.). Lighting has/is still being added so spotlights light up and you can mimic the sun or a spotlight shining on the object, export pieces of the file, view the file structure, etc. It's been/is quite a learning experience :yep: The main thing I gave the program is a view window in each pane (or panel) so you can see the object as you modify it. There are multiple ways you can render the model - point mode, wireframe, solid, solid & wireframe. I'm going to add more modes as I see uses for them (like wireframe & point, solid & point, solid & wireframe & point). I have yet to code in the controllers so you can see the 'effects' from them but I have the particle generator complete so smoke and fire and the likes can be 'seen' on the objects (though it hasn't been added to the application yet). There is probably more but I can't recall now. As you can see, I've been quite busy.

Besides that I've been travelling all over the world scuba diving, getting my helicopter license, and flying in my airplanes (we, being my partners and I, just acquired a second one!).

Urfisch, the shells mod never was completed. I was awaiting back the 3D models with the backface problem but never received them. And then the aforementioned took me away from the computer. And also these games called Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and now The Witcher Enhanced Edition (AWESOME GAME!! - just got into Act II). Now that I have even more knowledge of the particle generator's some really cool effects can be done.

I've also been dabbling in programming game AI and games and furthering my knowledge of DirectX by reading every book I can get my hands on.

Signing out.....:|\\

DAT screen shot:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/Apollo_DAT_screen.jpg

3D screen shot (gives big viewing render pane to see model/changes):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/Apollo_3D_Screen.jpg

As you can see I'm still working on the layout of all the controls (add still adding controls!).

Good to ear from you mate...
And most of all that you are OK !:yep: :up:

Now its missing just my Friend Venatore...

Castout
02-02-09, 05:03 AM
Damn it I work for the tommies we thought we already had him eliminated :gulp:

We already paid the fees :nope: .......

SeaWolf U-57
02-02-09, 06:04 AM
hi racerboy i have a realy big favour to ask of you i have heard that maybe you finished you flags for all turms (the two flag version) if so please relese it i have waited and hoping you would because i love then to death i once tryed to go ubout it myself but im too thick:wah: i place your VIIB turm 2 on all my subs just for the flags (gets down on both knees as prays) please please.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5697/newpicture13ng2.jpg

oh yes did i say please ????:hmmm:

TheDarkWraith
02-02-09, 02:40 PM
hi racerboy i have a realy big favour to ask of you i have heard that maybe you finished you flags for all turms (the two flag version)...

the flags for all turms is not finished for all Turms. Those that are missing flagpoles were not done. Also they have to be verified against all versions of the game, more so for GWX version. And further, those that didn't have flagpoles I wasn't sure where to put them :88) . So if you really want them then I'll need some help on it.
So....how are you with a 3D modeler program? What I need is the model of just the flagpole for each turm. Set the material to be the sub's hull material so that it makes it easy to import (give me the name of the material used) or you can use a new material and I'll need that also to import into the sub model. This will give me the perfect chance to try out my 'Add subset to object' in Apollo :DL
Then I'll need to know where to place each flagpole for each sub.

AVGWarhawk
02-02-09, 02:48 PM
Good to see you Racerboy. :salute:

Desga
02-02-09, 03:16 PM
Hi Racerboy i ask you a thing:
Can you tell me what's the name of program that you use for modding the boat ...I have seen the name APOLLO but ...is the program's name ?

And where I can download this program?
Thank for help

Desga

Freiwillige
02-02-09, 03:35 PM
Wow Racerboy you'r really taking this thing to a whole new level! I wish you all the luck in completing this vast project. After all if it is just a key your building think of all the doors we can unlock!:up:

TheDarkWraith
02-02-09, 03:37 PM
Hi Racerboy i ask you a thing:
Can you tell me what's the name of program that you use for modding the boat ...I have seen the name APOLLO but ...is the program's name ?

And where I can download this program?

Apollo is the name of the application. Where can you download it from? You can't. I'm the creator of it. It's been in design for over 8 months now and I'm still not finished with it. When I am finished with it, and if I decide to release it, it will require a key (from me) in order to be usable. This way I can prevent certain people from using it (some certain people have tools that they won't share with others so I will ensure they can't use mine ;) ) though they may be able to attain it it won't load for them. It'll be a PIMA to issue keys but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Why the name Apollo? As the Apollo Space Missions of the US achieved many firsts of it's kind before any other nation this application will be the first of it's kind in many ways also. :|\\
Development will take considerable time still...

VonDos
02-02-09, 03:38 PM
@desga -> i think this is a Racerboy's own program, self made ^_^

@racerboy -> welcome back, sir! :salute:

SeaWolf U-57
02-02-09, 04:43 PM
hi racerboy i have a realy big favour to ask of you i have heard that maybe you finished you flags for all turms (the two flag version)...

the flags for all turms is not finished for all Turms. Those that are missing flagpoles were not done. Also they have to be verified against all versions of the game, more so for GWX version. And further, those that didn't have flagpoles I wasn't sure where to put them :88) . So if you really want them then I'll need some help on it.
So....how are you with a 3D modeler program? What I need is the model of just the flagpole for each turm. Set the material to be the sub's hull material so that it makes it easy to import (give me the name of the material used) or you can use a new material and I'll need that also to import into the sub model. This will give me the perfect chance to try out my 'Add subset to object' in Apollo :DL
Then I'll need to know where to place each flagpole for each sub.

Hell fire me doing that RIGHT i will give it a go but dont expect to hear for me for....about ten years :wah: im not worthy

nikbear
02-03-09, 02:10 AM
Welcome back Racerboy,impressive stuff you got running there:salute::salute::salute:

urfisch
02-03-09, 05:45 AM
sure, racerboy has done a lot of fine work here! and as it seems, he´s continuing...

:rock:

Desga
02-03-09, 05:56 AM
Thank anyway Racerboy and axcuse-me I didn't know that Apollo was yours.:DL

Stormin Norman
02-04-09, 12:09 AM
Welcome back racerboy and great stuff:up: :up: :up:

-SWCowboy.
02-04-09, 12:18 AM
Nice to see you again Racerboy, hope all is well! http://bts-mods.com/forums/Smileys/BtS/wolfthumbsup.gif

Graf Paper
02-04-09, 12:54 AM
Great work on Apollo! Dare I say SH3 will finally have it's own unofficial SDK in the near future? You've done a masterful job there.

I can't speak for everyone but I know my own thoughts on this...

Your brand of genius has been missed, Racerboy.

I loved your SH3 Modder's Bible and dearly wish you would continue to share with those who are hungry to learn. That "book" prompted me to lay hands on some DirectX programming books to learn how nodes and particles are used.

I lack the coding skills at this time, but my mind is inquisitive and my dreams are big.

Please do not allow the hard feelings towards a few prompt you to deny so many more the benefits of the greatest modding tool we could have...knowledge.

TheDarkWraith
02-05-09, 01:28 AM
Great work on Apollo! Dare I say SH3 will finally have it's own unofficial SDK in the near future? You've done a masterful job there......
I loved your SH3 Modder's Bible and dearly wish you would continue to share with those who are hungry to learn. That "book" prompted me to lay hands on some DirectX programming books to learn how nodes and particles are used.

I lack the coding skills at this time, but my mind is inquisitive and my dreams are big.

Please do not allow the hard feelings towards a few prompt you to deny so many more the benefits of the greatest modding tool we could have...knowledge.

I lacked coding skills in many areas of DirectX but after spending some $$ on books and LOTS of reading and experimenting I have done pretty well I must say. The unknown is fascinating to me, I love to dabble in it. This (DirectX) has opened up so many new possibilities for me. Put that inquisitive mind to use and start experimenting! I have developed many good tools for editing textures, meshes, and the likes if you're interested. The object picker I made today was a huge accomplishment for me. Teaching yourself linear algebra and 3D math for graphics and game development by reading books can make your head spin and your eyes go crossed!

I have made a particle generator that mimics SH3 and SH4's. It does the linear interpolation on the color, size, opacity, etc. I plan on incorporating this into the application so you can add, say, a fire to the ship and see what it will look like. Or you can add water streams, heh heh, easily to get those cool water stream effects when a certain position of the ship goes underwater. After coding those water streams using a hex editor on one sub (all 100+ of them!) I decided it was time to write an application to do this to make my life easier. Or say you want to add some flags to your ship....or add a crane....or you want that pipe or crane from another ship on this ship.....your imagination will be the only thing stopping you.

My goal is to make Apollo like an SDK of sorts...a visual one at that. It's event driven - drag and drop, click to select, right click to select, context menus, etc. It's been one HUGE learning experience for me - learning the C# programming language and DirectX 9.0 at the same time (Visual Basic, Assembly, and limited C++ were my languages of choice before). But for those who code and have never used C# I have to say it's a great language. You have about 90% of the power of C++ in a managed environment with little overhead.
I'm only about say 20% complete of doing everything that I want to do with the application (in 8 months time!). Currently it allows you only to edit the DAT file of the object. I'm working on the lighting (you're gonna dig the whole lighting thing I'm making) and object picking currently. Just got an object picker working today so progress was made. The reason for the object picker is: say you select the NAMC ship to edit. When you select NAMC it renders the model so you can see it. You can display it in many ways (wireframe, solid, point, solid & wireframe, solid & point, etc.) You can also display all child nodes (or select which child nodes) associated with the ID (in this case NAMC) so you can really see the layout of everything. Now as you're maneuvering around the object with the camera (it's like a video game in this sense) you notice one of the child nodes isn't positioned correctly. You 'select' it and then use the mouse to position it where it should be. That's the goal - now I have to implement the picking and moving part. For lighting you'll be able to create as many lights as your video card allows, positioning them where you want, the type you want (point, directional, spotlight, etc.), giving off the colors you want (ambient, diffuse, specular, etc.). This way you can model day or night, and use the colors specified in the env files to simulate the lighting conditions in Silent Hunter III or 4 so you can see what you're object will look like when rendered in the game.
I'm trying to make the application generic also so that it can be used on other games. It'll be able to import other files (.X, .obj, etc.) other than Silent Hunter ones and export to other formats other than .hex. It's a massive undertaking and being the sole coder, tester, and researcher it takes time.
Playing with it as I design it I have noticed many errors and misplaced SHD_s in files - things that aren't 'visible' unless you have a tool that can show you them visually. Looking at hex code to 'see' these errors is hard to do but can be done with lots of time. Here is one of the reasons for designing it (to save time). Other reasons are for the challenge, to learn and experiment, and to hopefully spur some new shipbuilding when it's finally done. It's not just limited to ships - it can edit anything that use type 4/100 nodes, type 1/101 nodes, type 2/0 nodes, etc. Yes, it can even edit the textures (the type 2/0 nodes - import, export, change type or change to cfg#TXR, etc.). This part of the coding unlocked the mystery of how each texture was mapped to the object (not talking UV coordinates here) - it's so simple now it's absurd. You can even view the 'section' of the object that the texture is mapped to (which is actually the subset of the model's Mesh). :D
Oh and did I mention that I plan on incorporating sound into it? Yes, I want to hear what that object sounds like outside of the game. I also want to be able to edit the sound's parameters (distance, pitch, etc.). Microsoft's DirectSound is easy to code so it should be no problem. Since the game itself requires DirectX it's almost a sure fire thing that they used DirectSound to 'play' the sounds used in the game.

Here is a screenshot showing the ship NAMC (with all it's children rendered - children [or parts of children] not using subset 2's texture are displayed in wireframe) displaying subset 2 (it has 3 total). The subsets not selected are drawn in wireframe. All the vertices used are rendered with red points. Here you can see what part of the ship the texture is being displayed on. Purple dots are object origins and yellow dot is world origin. The blue, red, and green lines from each purple dot denote the orientation of the object (it's pitch, yaw, and roll). Red line is X axis, Blue line is Z axis, Green line is Y axis. Those purple dots that seem to be floating with no object attached to them are that way because their object is not visible (you can enable rendering of non-visible objects). In the bottom left corner of the 'render' panel is the world's orientation, bottom right corner is camera's orientation. As the camera is 'caged' any movement with the mouse results in movement of the world (translation and rotation). I have 'rendering with texture overrides' disabled so that the objects are drawn using their in-file textures instead of those located in \data\Textures\TNormal\tex or \data\Textures\TLowRes\tex (subset 2 here has a low res override but I want the in-file texture to be used).
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NAMC_subset_1.jpg

Here is a screenshot editing the B24 liberator aircraft:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ALB_B24Liberator.jpg

currently the application requires a screen resolution of 1280 X 1024 to use it (when, and if, I release it).

SeaWolf U-57
02-05-09, 04:34 AM
Eerrrr excuse me Mr Racerboy Sir :oops: .
Can we host your mods on BtS-mods.com I hate to bother you here but you mail box is full Sir.

Anvart
02-05-09, 09:08 PM
I lacked coding skills in many areas of DirectX but ...
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NAMC_subset_1.jpg

Interesting work ... :timeout:
Only ... whether this work will be finished ... and if will be ... that and SH will have already other engine ...
and this ... m-m-m ... program not for simple modders ... :rotfl:

Graf Paper
02-05-09, 09:55 PM
No, not simple indeed.

That's the beauty of it, Anvart. With Apollo a modder would have the greatest degree of control over the mods they create without having to resort to the more esoteric forms of digital sorcery known as hex editing and assembly language.

Complex? Yes, Apollo is quite intricate in its workings but so is a jet liner and yet it has the same overall elegance of form as well.

Honestly, I am impressed and can hardly wait to explore the wonders this tool can unlock!

Some ideas that come to my mind...
Independent engine controls may finally be achievable. I've looked into the files Racerboy discovered many moons ago and Apollo may be the tool to do this.
The same goes for bow and stern dive planes.
Flags for all u-boats and pennants that would be triggered to raise only as you enter your home harbor.
A fully modeled, interactive interior for all u-boats. Walk from stem to stern and see the inside Das Boot style!
This tool would be perfect for USS Sea Tiger's ambitious WWI mod for SH3. He could practically do away with everything but the game engine and build "Für König und Kaiser" from scratch with Apollo in less time than it takes doing it the standard way of cloning, hexing, and tinkering with cfg files.You may doubt its completion if you wish, Anvart, but I prefer to take Racerboy's work at face value and it seems he has accomplished much in eight months and does have a clear idea of what features he still needs to implement.

skwas has been working on S3D for SH4 for years now and he still has not fully completed all the features of that wonderful tool. So cut RB some slack, if you please, good sir!

All feuding and doubts aside, a tool like Apollo has been what so many have begged and pleaded for to make modding SH3 a dream that would finally lay within reach of those who lack "733t h@x0r" skills.

Ignore the naysayers and nattering nabobs, Racerboy! Keep up the great work and stick to your guns!

P.S.:

Racerboy:I have developed many good tools for editing textures, meshes, and the likes if you're interested.

I would be very much interested in any tools you would be willing to share, RB, or even a newer edition of the SH3 Modder's Bible! :yep:

Sledgehammer427
02-05-09, 10:34 PM
Hello from your nearby southwest RB!

loooks like interesting stuff you are doing there, glad to see you sticking around :D

tater
02-05-09, 11:09 PM
Graf, he doesn't say anything about opening any files that S3D doesn't already open. The only one in his tabs (current version screenshot) that isn't in S3D is previewing the eqp stuff. Racerboy has some cool functionality ideas (dragging items in 3d, etc), though. Still, it's not a radical departure from the nearly finished S3D. The latest (not released yet) version has loads of new functionality.

I look forward to any new tools/functionality that this project might add, though. :yep:

Welcome back, RB!

skwasjer
02-06-09, 12:02 AM
Nice job RB. Of all people, I know best what you are going through.

Good luck with your project :yeah:

PS: I'd love to see a dedicated particle engine tool. I have an half assed engine myself, but never really had time to make it usuable. Focus on that please ;) People will love that.

skwasjer
02-06-09, 12:05 AM
skwas has been working on S3D for SH4 for years now and he still has not fully completed all the features of that wonderful tool.
I have now, at least the features I want to do. The last build ever is coming in a few weeks ;)

Tomi_099
02-06-09, 02:41 AM
@Racerboy
learning the C# programming language and DirectX 9.0

Hello beautiful Racerboy we of the characters get a life, and beautiful
you the learning the C# programming l:yeah:

What about animations that there is something new, oh by your (Apollo) :timeout:
Program?

Anvart
02-06-09, 08:15 AM
No, not simple indeed.

That's the beauty of it, Anvart. ...
Your enthusiasm is pleasant to me ...
But I try to think really ...
"New Kashmir ..." ... sounds pretentiously and ambitiously ...
But what we see now ... two tabs with the chaotic interface, simple object-picture (viewer) and many words about learning stuff ...
Skwasjer worked about 1.5 years to make the quite good simple program ...
How many years will be necessary Racerboy to create the working program which in tens times is more difficult than S3D ... i think at the Racerboy there will be no enthusiasm to work some years over one theme ...
But in any case the Racerboy will get the big advantage and pleasure of work on the program ...
And i wish success to Racerboy.

I've looked into the files Racerboy discovered many moons ago ...

:rotfl:

P.S.
Excuse, without insults ...

Hitman
02-06-09, 08:49 AM
Ahem.....

Anvart,

Пожалуйста, остановите ненужного критика :hmmm:

SeaWolf U-57
02-06-09, 09:28 AM
No, not simple indeed.

That's the beauty of it, Anvart. ...
Your enthusiasm is pleasant to me ...
But I try to think really ...
"New Kashmir ..." ... sounds pretentiously and ambitiously ...
But what we see now ... two tabs with the chaotic interface, simple object-picture (viewer) and many words about learning stuff ...
Skwasjer worked about 1.5 years to make the quite good simple program ...
How many years will be necessary Racerboy to create the working program which in tens times is more difficult than S3D ... i think at the Racerboy there will be no enthusiasm to work some years over one theme ...
But in any case the Racerboy will get the big advantage and pleasure of work on the program ...
And i wish success to Racerboy.

I've looked into the files Racerboy discovered many moons ago ...

:rotfl:

P.S.
Excuse, without insults ...

:timeout: all mods Racerboy has created are dame good as will be anything he produces in the future

Graf Paper
02-06-09, 11:32 AM
tater, I agree that S3D is indeed one of the best tools ever made for Silent Hunter modders but you forgot one salient point. S3D is intended to be a modding tool for SH4 and as such skwas does not focus development of S3D to support anything other than SH4.

skwas, it's great news to hear you're nearing completion of Silent 3ditor! That tool has been invaluable to me when tweaking, updating, or combining mods. I still have yet to explore the 3D functions. I figured I'd better learn some 3D modeling before tackling that one! I know SH3 is not officially supported by S3D but thank you very much for your skill and generosity that has given the Silent Hunter modding community a tool that is such a great leap forward.

Racerboy does do good work. I think some can agree he released mods that many thought were impossible and injected some fresh thinking into the scene that led to others creating great mods as well. Case in point: RB's U-boat Exhaust Smoke led to Rubini's Water Streams.

skwasjer
02-06-09, 12:11 PM
S3D is intended to be a modding tool for SH4 and as such skwas does not focus development of S3D to support anything other than SH4.
True, but only for certain aspects of the model viewer (since render pipe of SH4 works differently). I basically stated that I don't support SH3, because I don't want to test for SH3 myself nor spend extraordanary amounts of time on specific issues since I don't have any interest in SH3. That does not mean I have never provided fixes for SH3. From binary file perspective (support of file format) it's 100% compatible. I included SH3-controllers that are unused in SH4, and do have some branch code here and there for SH3 specifically. It may not be 'officially' supported by me, but in truth it works perfectly fine ;)

Regards...

FIREWALL
02-06-09, 12:32 PM
Just reading and looking at the pics shows me again how much TALENT is at this website.

:salute: :salute: :salute:

tater
02-06-09, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I open SH3 stuff all the time, only certain non-compliant files fail to open properly.

Wildhawke11
02-06-09, 09:34 PM
Just reading and looking at the pics shows me again how much TALENT is at this website.

:salute: :salute: :salute:

I agree 100% without GWX team and the modders the game would not be the same.

Anvart
02-07-09, 04:31 AM
Ahem.....

Anvart,

Пожалуйста, остановите ненужного критика
Sorry, Hitman ...
Никакой критики ... только желание слегка остудить горячие головы, которые недостаточно понимают о чем идет речь (замыслы Расербоя) ...
Это очередное увлечение Расербоя, которое принесет ему много радости узнавания нового в программировании ... и до конечного пользователя эта работа вряд ли дойдет в удобном для использования виде ... к тому же зачем повторять уже сделанный и неплохо S3D ...

I think some can agree he released mods that many thought were impossible and injected some fresh thinking into the scene that led to others creating great mods as well. Case in point: RB's U-boat Exhaust Smoke led to Rubini's Water Streams.
Unsuccessful example ...
Ordinary work ... :DL

Graf Paper
02-07-09, 08:33 AM
Anvart, you are entitled to your opinion but going out of your way to constantly bash another's work is something I would not expect from you.

I thought your long history here as a modder would have instilled greater respect for anyone's efforts, regardless of your personal feelings towards that person. Your behavior is yet another example of the cancer eating at the core of this community and nothing good will come of it.

I seems that no matter what language you say it in, низкий класс still means the same thing. :nope:

Shame on all of you for this! We are supposed to be a home where everyone's work is valued and equal, no matter how great or small! Put your egos aside and understand that you are destroying the very community that gave you this home to nurture and appreciate your efforts!

You think you're that special because you can make new toys for a game? Is that truly how to measure your worth as a human being?

Courtesy, honor, charity... Where did these virtues go? We used to live by them but I've seen more and more modders becoming outright mean and hard-hearted, guarding their little dung-heap like a rabid dog, snapping at anyone that they feel has slighted them in the least and then going out of their way to constantly belittle and insult to satisfy their wounded pride.

Stop this now! It is unbecoming and only serves to place on public display the petty childishness that lowers you in everyone's eyes that truly cares about this community. I am sick to death with all the feuds and grudges that have cast a shadow over Subsim and led to the loss of many valued people. This must end!

If you have nothing constructive to say about another's work, then shut the hell up and go away! :hulk:

SeaWolf U-57
02-07-09, 09:15 AM
@Graf Paper Well said Sir:up:

nikbear
02-07-09, 07:05 PM
I second that,there is nothing worse to a site than constant back biting and infighting and just general grudge matches that people seem to have,you get enough of that rubbish outside,no need to bring it to a forum where we all like the same thing,we need to get along for the better of this online community:yeah:

ReallyDedPoet
02-07-09, 07:36 PM
The concept is simple lads, if you have nothing of value to post, then don't bother.

Save the drama for real life :yep:

RDP

TheDarkWraith
02-07-09, 07:51 PM
I either found a bug in my application or this is a genuine 'bug' in a .dat file. Can someone check to see if the flag on the front of the ship on the NAMC is positioned correctly? I was using patched 1.4b files at the time. I'm out of town on my laptop that can't run Silent Hunter (video card sucks!) :wah: Here's a screenshot from Apollo showing what I'm talking about (the purple point cfg#FLG_NAMC). It would appear that the flag is just floating in-air in game....or the flag itself is positioned off center...
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NAMC_cfg_flag.jpg

edit: bug in my application. Using wrong transform from parent object. This explains why some objects didn't appear to be in the correct locations. Flag is now where it should be (I'm hoping someone can verify this). It's positioned on the back crane, left side.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NAMC_cfg_flag_bug_fixed.jpg

Laufen zum Ziel
02-07-09, 09:57 PM
All I can say is thank you for what you have done and
what you will do. You are an inspiration to all of us &
those of us with far fewer brain cells should appreciate
your work for what it is. GREAT. Thanks again & hurry
back.

The Butcher
02-07-09, 11:03 PM
@Racerboy, That is the position of the flag on the NAMC. Keep up the good work:rock:

Admiral Von Gerlach
02-07-09, 11:10 PM
As a newcomer i have been very impressed with the mod work of Racerboy and this new work sounds very very amazing. I am glad you are here RB, and hope that your work goes very well, thanks so much for sharing it with us as you have.

Every crew relies on courtesy just like everyone needs one hand for the ship. :)

tater
02-07-09, 11:24 PM
That's where the flag is on the SH4 NAMC.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/tatersw/SH4/namc_flag.jpg

tater

TheDarkWraith
02-07-09, 11:35 PM
thank you! I thought it was a bug in my program. Nice screen shot of the ship Tater. I see S3D is using the shader effects.
Though it does appear that the flag's orientation is pointing forward in your screenshot. SH3's points backward. hmmm....

tater
02-08-09, 02:52 AM
No, it's pointing backwards---and waving at the same time in S3D :)

(I hit the "play" button, you can see it turned to a "stop" square and highlighted, just above the flag/jackstaff, so the animation is playing on the flag)

Anvart
02-08-09, 03:30 AM
I seems that no matter what language you say it in, низкий класс still means the same thing.
You think you're that special because you can make new toys for a game?
Is that truly how to measure your worth as a human being? ............... <--- http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3929/roflsv1.gif
If you have nothing constructive to say about another's work, then shut the hell up and go away!
Sorry, dude ...
You do not want (or cannot) to understand me ... and you "search for witches" there, where they are not ...
Your right to live in the world of own imaginations (fantasy) ... it's your problem ... but also any has the right to express the opinion ... flattering or not ...
Here much speak about that it is necessary to speak only constructive thoughts ...
sorry, dude, except slops flowing from your mouth i do not see any thoughts in your speech ... :salute:

Hitman
02-08-09, 04:06 AM
All right, as RDP already warned, no more posting here except constructive critizism. Racerboy has shown in his last posts that he is not interested in entering a senseless discussion and has not taken the bait, an attitude I highly value. Moderators will correspondly protect this discussion as long as it remains like that, hence:

Any further comment that has no value for the discussion will simply be edited out by me or any other moderator.

Thanks

UberTorpedo
02-08-09, 10:09 AM
thanks Hitman :DL

Jimbuna
02-08-09, 10:21 AM
All right, as RDP already warned, no more posting here except constructive critizism. Racerboy has shown in his last posts that he is not interested in entering a senseless discussion and has not taken the bait, an attitude I highly value. That moderators will correspondly protect this discussion as long as it remains like that, hence:

Any further comment that has no value for the discussion will simply be edited out by me or any other moderator.

Thanks

Truly the best way forward....this thread could be of enormous benefit to the community http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

SeaWolf U-57
02-08-09, 11:51 AM
All right, as RDP already warned, no more posting here except constructive critizism. Racerboy has shown in his last posts that he is not interested in entering a senseless discussion and has not taken the bait, an attitude I highly value. That moderators will correspondly protect this discussion as long as it remains like that, hence:

Thanks

Truly the best way forward....this thread could be of enormous benefit to the community http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

As are the mods he has produced i.e. Exhaust smoke mods and his Flag mods.
That’s why we would like to host them on BtS. So please Racerboy say yes:salute:

Laufen zum Ziel
02-08-09, 12:03 PM
Thanks Hitman you always show up at the right time.....:yeah:

TheDarkWraith
02-09-09, 03:07 PM
Can someone verify a node position for me? The ship is NAMC and the node is cfg#O01_NAMC (it is currently marked by the 4 arrow headed cursor in the screenie). I was using patched 1.4b files at the time. Every node Apollo has positioned looks correct except for this one. I don't have or use S3D so I have to ask someone who has it or another tool that can verify nodes to do it for me. Screenshot to show why I'm questioning it's location:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NAMC_cfg_O01.jpg

Looks odd doesn't it? I'm curious as to whether other versions (GWX, SH4, etc.) have this supposed 'problem' I see?
Object picker is working! You lock the object by double clicking on it's origin (in this screenie those would be the purple dots) and then use the mouse to reposition and/or rotate it. The cursor changes to the four arrows to signify lock and editing. Plus there's a little billboard on the bottom that says 'Object Locked' and the title bar changes to say what is locked. I'm going to add a jet fighter style 'lock' diamond around it (no tone though...:haha: ) so it's easy to visually see which object is locked :|\\

tater
02-09-09, 05:51 PM
I'll check it, but why would you not DL S3D, it's tiny, and would give you an instant, "in-house" check for stuff like this?

tater
02-09-09, 06:02 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/tatersw/SH4/NAMC2.jpg

Yeah, that's broken in the stock file.

Looks like that X value should be 0 (most of the O nodes are centerline in my experience).

tater

TheDarkWraith
02-09-09, 07:33 PM
excellent! I didn't think I had another bug to track down.
That node isn't 'broken', it's just misplaced. If you look in the files the cfg#Oxx node is for the 'invisible watchstander' aka AI_Visual or how the game allows this object to 'see' other objects. All parameters dealing with spotting other objects are based on this. Try setting that node to very low on the waterline and see how close you can get to the ship before it spots you...
Yes I do believe you are correct that the X value should be 0. That would place the AI_Visual in the centerline of the object it inherits from.
I don't use S3D for reasons I won't discuss. Hence another reason why I'm making my own editor.

evan82
02-09-09, 07:55 PM
Wooow. Another tool for SH3? Looks nice:woot:.

StarLion45
02-09-09, 09:16 PM
:D So nice to see that the king of modders are back .

I SALUTE YOU :salute: :salute: :salute:

tater
02-09-09, 10:29 PM
I realize it was just placed wrong, it still needs fixing, though. I will correct it for Real IJN's next version along with all the other dats.

Stock dats are riddled with such errors/oversights. Least in SH4.

panzer 49th
02-09-09, 10:53 PM
WTG Racerboy, looks like a very promising tool, keep up the good work ;)

TheDarkWraith
02-10-09, 04:38 PM
Thought I would share what the Map editing screen looks like (Maps are the textures aka TGAs or DDSs). Coded in the vertex normals for the lighting and working on face normals now.
In this screenie I'm creating a ghost NAMC ship to see if it will render in game as a ghost (see through).
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/NAMC_ghost_ship.jpg

urfisch
02-12-09, 01:43 PM
wonderful work! and even more wonderful, to see you back here!

:yeah:

:smug:

Wolfehunter
02-12-09, 05:00 PM
Good to see you back RB. :yeah: Its been a while bro. :03:

TheDarkWraith
02-16-09, 06:59 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this because I'll let the people who I made this for do it.
An idea was brought to me and I really liked it. So today in about 3 hours I made the first design of it using the VIIb sub (based on 1.4b files). The idea was simple: the wakes left behind by the attack and observation scopes were bland - they needed some waves and particles like the bowwaves of the subs and ships. I made these speed dependant so you get little waves at slow speed and big waves at fast speed.
I'll be turning over this prototype to the person who gave me the idea so that they can run with it and hopefully make this for all subs.

ahead slow VIIb:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_2_croppedcopy.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_1_croppedcopy.jpg

ahead slow VIIb both scopes out of the water:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_3_croppedcopy.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_4_croppedcopy.jpg

ahead flank both scopes VIIb:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_5_croppedcopy.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_6_croppedcopy.jpg

overhead view ahead flank VIIb:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_7_croppedcopy.jpg

and finally scope view looking back:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_8_croppedcopy.jpg

I have it currently adjusted to just a few bubbles/mist. End-user will probably adjust. :|\\

Awful Smutje
02-16-09, 07:49 PM
Wow! I really like your work, Racerboy.
Any little special effect is welcome, to make everything a little more realistic. And this...

I love it! :up:

TheDarkWraith
02-16-09, 08:04 PM
Wow! I really like your work, Racerboy.
Any little special effect is welcome, to make everything a little more realistic. And this...

I love it! :up:

yeah it grew on me once I started making it. Now I really like it. There's only one bug with it that I've found. It has to do with the location of the periscope's 'node'. The node is located at the bottom of the periscopes. If you rotate the periscope (by diving or surfacing the sub) you displace that node a certain distance forward or backward depending on the angle of inclination/declination of the sub. This, in turn, displaces the particle effect forwards/backward from the periscope on the water's surface (due to being 'anchored' to the periscope's node). Other than that it's :up: . I know how to possibly fix the bug but I might let the person/people I'm turning it over to try and fix it first. Maybe they can come up with a more creative way than I'm thinking.

Awful Smutje
02-16-09, 08:25 PM
I have to admit, that I don't know anything about this kind of stuff.

But maybe it's possible to create a second axis in the periscope, wich will rise and lower itself similar to the periscope and have only a "spray @ 180°" command attatched?:hmmm:

This where my first thought, but I don't know if it's possible or would work. All I could do is messing around in .cfg files with notepad and call myself a moder...:haha:

TheDarkWraith
02-16-09, 08:35 PM
I have to admit, that I don't know anything about this kind of stuff.

But maybe it's possible to create a second axis in the periscope, wich will rise and lower itself similar to the periscope and have only a "spray @ 180°" command attatched?:hmmm:

This where my first thought, but I don't know if it's possible or would work. All I could do is messing around in .cfg files with notepad and call myself a moder...:haha:

If you think about the periscope and it's rotation you come to some conclusions. If you anchor something to either end and then you rotate the periscope then it will displace the object on the end a certain distance (in an arc) forward/backward depending on the amount of rotation. But if you anchor something to the center of the periscope then any amount of rotation will not cause a displacement movement :yep: Now just have to implement this. Not as easy as it sounds.

Awful Smutje
02-16-09, 08:47 PM
If you think about the periscope and it's rotation you come to some conclusions. If you anchor something to either end and then you rotate the periscope then it will displace the object on the end a certain distance (in an arc) forward/backward depending on the amount of rotation. But if you anchor something to the center of the periscope then any amount of rotation will not cause a displacement movement :yep: Now just have to implement this. Not as easy as it sounds.
That's what I've meant. I forgot to write that this new axis shouldn't turn with the scope, just go up and down. :oops: But thats shamefully every help I could offer. My knowledge of programming is some kind of submerged... :ping:

rascal101
02-16-09, 10:45 PM
HI to you Mr Racerboy - good to see you are out there concentrating on the little details that make this somewhat ancient game still one of the hottest gaming experiences around!

I just thought and in reference to your improvements to the perescope wakes -

I wonder if you know much about lighting and particle affects and how to fiddle with them in SH3 - I've always wanted to manipulate the lighting affects so there is better reflected glare from metal surfaces - its kind of there particularlly if you move around with a camera view up high, move around a sub and watch the way the light reflects off some surfaces- it's there but not very strong I wonder if you would know how to improve it

Also

I havnt seen any smoke for this game, stock or modded that actaully looks like smoke- different grades of cotton wool, or floss but not smoke - do you have any ideas where or how I might play with these.

Regards
Rascal

TheDarkWraith
02-16-09, 11:18 PM
HI to you Mr Racerboy - good to see you are out there concentrating on the little details that make this somewhat ancient game still one of the hottest gaming experiences around!

I wonder if you know much about lighting and particle affects and how to fiddle with them in SH3 - I've always wanted to manipulate the lighting affects so there is better reflected glare from metal surfaces - its kind of there particularlly if you move around with a camera view up high, move around a sub and watch the way the light reflects off some surfaces- it's there but not very strong I wonder if you would know how to improve it

Also

I havnt seen any smoke for this game, stock or modded that actaully looks like smoke- different grades of cotton wool, or floss but not smoke - do you have any ideas where or how I might play with these.

Regards
Rascal

for the glare you want to play with the 2/0 nodes - specifically specular strength to get those specular highlights. I just started playing with the lighting so I'm coming up to speed myself.
All effects (stock wise) come from the particles.dat file which uses the materials.dat file for it's 'materials' (located in \data\Library). In the zones.cfg file(located \data) is where the events get fired based on the the compartment and # of hitpoints it has.
you haven't seen my SH4 effects for SH3 FX mod have you? When you do, tell me what you think about the smoke in that one.

And the idea for the periscope wakes was not mine. It came from someone who asked me if I could make it.

Graf Paper
02-17-09, 12:14 AM
Love what you're doing, RB! :yeah: Please, don't ever stop!

Here's a tiny effect I've always wanted to see... Some stray air bubbles escaping as the outer and inner tube doors open. Of course, the bubbles would be more sparse and small when the outer doors open but the inner doors just might release a few larger bubbles when the caps swing open before the torpedo fires.

The those doors and caps opening have always seemed too sterile and lifeless to me with nothing more happening than a "thunk" and "hum" to accompany their action.

I have ideas for things, just little to no skills for implementing them at this time.

Maybe you could apply your magic touch, Racerboy? :03:

rascal101
02-17-09, 03:59 AM
Hi to you and thanks for your reply - I tried looking for the 2/0 nodes - but am not sure where to find them and what to open them with to experiment - also I found 'materials' (in \data\Library) but have no idea what to use to open or edit it.

Sure I can use notepad in the config files to tweak the smoke but again I dont know which way to start, nor how tocombine this with any fiddling with the materials file - any advise?

As for SH4 effects for SH3 - I use yours but with some modifications by asonovic7 - Its easily the best I've seen - some great balance between flame affects and small, medium and large random explosions - very imersive - but the smoke although good is still not all that ...smokey

I dont know if what I'm looking for is even possible with the SH3 graphics engine - Guess I'm thinking of SH4 smoke, or the lastest Fallout effects - Sure I know these are more recent games but I wonder if the SH3 engine could be stretched.

Would sure appreciate your help and advise re lighting - I know that other folks are working on dynamic shadows - is amazing - so long after this game was released folks are still madly working on it.

Also

Regards
Rascal

for the glare you want to play with the 2/0 nodes - specifically specular strength to get those specular highlights. I just started playing with the lighting so I'm coming up to speed myself.
All effects (stock wise) come from the particles.dat file which uses the materials.dat file for it's 'materials' (located in \data\Library). In the zones.cfg file(located \data) is where the events get fired based on the the compartment and # of hitpoints it has.
you haven't seen my SH4 effects for SH3 FX mod have you? When you do, tell me what you think about the smoke in that one.

And the idea for the periscope wakes was not mine. It came from someone who asked me if I could make it.

SquareSteelBar
02-17-09, 05:52 AM
Hi rascal,

to open .dat, .sim, .zon, .dsd files etc. use skwasjers' S3Ditor v0.9.4 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571) for now.

Cheers,
SquareSteelBar

rascal101
02-18-09, 12:31 AM
Hi and thanks for this I now have S3 Editor and need to know where to go looking for things is not immediatly apparent what to do - in particualr I am looking to mod the way light it reflected from metal surfaces

Racerboy suggests you want to play with the 2/0 nodes - specifically specular strength to get those specular highlights.

Hi rascal,

to open .dat, .sim, .zon, .dsd files etc. use skwasjers' S3Ditor v0.9.4 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571) for now.

Cheers,
SquareSteelBar

urfisch
02-20-09, 05:34 AM
simply fantastic!!!

:salute:

rascal101
02-24-09, 01:55 PM
Hi Mr Racerboy - I downloaded Perescope wakes, twisty thingy and flags - a couple of questions -- Great mod!

But - the mod seems to load up the old SH3 stock uboat skin, can this mod be released so it's aplicable to more recent skins such as GWX3 or other more recent skins

Also - this mod seems to knock out the water streams from the exhaust / waterstream mod - the exhaust is not affected - just the waterstreams - or maybe this is just a result of the order in which my mods are installed.

Also - nice flags - do I get pennants as well in this mod or just the national flags? and if I do get pennants I understand I raise the perescope and activate the pennants with x - Does the mod raise a random number of pennants or is the number of pennants dependant on actual ingame sinking score

Also - is there a way to re-set the pennants so they are activated by another keysay o or t

Also - Nice flag mod - is there a way to furl it as an option, I may be asking a bit here - and is there a way to remove the Racerboy flag - whilst I'm all for singing the praises of great and talented modders its kind of out of step for this realism nut

Best Regards

And thanks for the mod

Rascal

I didn't want to start a new thread for this because I'll let the people who I made this for do it.
An idea was brought to me and I really liked it. So today in about 3 hours I made the first design of it using the VIIb sub (based on 1.4b files). The idea was simple: the wakes left behind by the attack and observation scopes were bland - they needed some waves and particles like the bowwaves of the subs and ships. I made these speed dependant so you get little waves at slow speed and big waves at fast speed.
I'll be turning over this prototype to the person who gave me the idea so that they can run with it and hopefully make this for all subs.

ahead slow VIIb:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_2_croppedcopy.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_1_croppedcopy.jpg

ahead slow VIIb both scopes out of the water:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_3_croppedcopy.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_4_croppedcopy.jpg

ahead flank both scopes VIIb:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_5_croppedcopy.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_6_croppedcopy.jpg

overhead view ahead flank VIIb:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_7_croppedcopy.jpg

and finally scope view looking back:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ps_8_croppedcopy.jpg

I have it currently adjusted to just a few bubbles/mist. End-user will probably adjust. :|\\

TheDarkWraith
02-24-09, 02:31 PM
Hi Mr Racerboy - I downloaded Perescope wakes, twisty thingy and flags - a couple of questions -- Great mod!

I wouldn't call it a mod. A demo of things and ideas is more like it.

But - the mod seems to load up the old SH3 stock uboat skin, can this mod be released so it's aplicable to more recent skins such as GWX3 or other more recent skins

I don't design for GWX anymore. If I do then it's for my own use. I'm not giving them the pleasure of using anymore of my ideas with theirs. That is the stock SH3 Uboat skin you see because the demo was based on 1.4b files. You can use Pack3D or S3D to replace the stock texture with whatever you'd like.

Also - this mod seems to knock out the water streams from the exhaust / waterstream mod - the exhaust is not affected - just the waterstreams - or maybe this is just a result of the order in which my mods are installed.

Correct. Because it uses stock 1.4b files they are not modified in any way, shape, or form except for what I put in them.

Also - nice flags - do I get pennants as well in this mod or just the national flags? and if I do get pennants I understand I raise the perescope and activate the pennants with x - Does the mod raise a random number of pennants or is the number of pennants dependant on actual ingame sinking score

Not sure if I put the pennants in that demo or not, I believe I did. Have you tried pressing the 'x' key to see if they rise up the forward periscope when it's extended? There are 8 pennants that will rise unless you disable the ones you don't want. They are labeled, for VIIb, 7b_1_Pennant_1 - 8 and to disable set the visibility to 0 using hex editor or some other tool. Pennants can be found in Turm dat file. They are fixed images using TGAs to override the defaults (place override in \data\Textures\TNormal\tex). See the flags and pennants mod readme.txt for more details.

Also - is there a way to re-set the pennants so they are activated by another keysay o or t

Pennants currently have to be tied to snorkel (x key) until I find a way to give them their own key. You can remap the key but you'll be remapping the snorkel also.

Also - Nice flag mod - is there a way to furl it as an option, I may be asking a bit here - and is there a way to remove the Racerboy flag - whilst I'm all for singing the praises of great and talented modders its kind of out of step for this realism nut

Same as for pennants. If you don't want a flag then set it's visibility to 0. For VIIb, flags are called 7b_1_Flag_1 and 7b_1_Flag_2. Flags can be found in the Turm dat file. Flags can be overriden also with your own TGA.

see above in yellow.

rascal101
02-25-09, 06:03 AM
Hi again sorry if I'm taking too much of your time but your mods or suggestions over the last week or so have really galvanised me to try some new things with
SH3.

Previously I hadnt played for about a year - the only reason I re-installed the game was because I heard IAMBECOME life was about to release his Merchant Fleet mod and I waited so long for that one

1 last question - I did get pennants and all is working fine = except I think I would prefer to just go with the perscope thingy and wakes - is there any way I can lift just these items out of the whole thing so I can just tinker with these without pennants and flags

Regards

R

I wouldn't call it a mod. A demo of things and ideas is more like it.

I don't design for GWX anymore. If I do then it's for my own use. I'm not giving them the pleasure of using anymore of my ideas with theirs. That is the stock SH3 Uboat skin you see because the demo was based on 1.4b files. You can use Pack3D or S3D to replace the stock texture with whatever you'd like.

Correct. Because it uses stock 1.4b files they are not modified in any way, shape, or form except for what I put in them.

Not sure if I put the pennants in that demo or not, I believe I did. Have you tried pressing the 'x' key to see if they rise up the forward periscope when it's extended? There are 8 pennants that will rise unless you disable the ones you don't want. They are labeled, for VIIb, 7b_1_Pennant_1 - 8 and to disable set the visibility to 0 using hex editor or some other tool. Pennants can be found in Turm dat file. They are fixed images using TGAs to override the defaults (place override in \data\Textures\TNormal\tex). See the flags and pennants mod readme.txt for more details.

Pennants currently have to be tied to snorkel (x key) until I find a way to give them their own key. You can remap the key but you'll be remapping the snorkel also.

Same as for pennants. If you don't want a flag then set it's visibility to 0. For VIIb, flags are called 7b_1_Flag_1 and 7b_1_Flag_2. Flags can be found in the Turm dat file. Flags can be overriden also with your own TGA.

see above in yellow.

TheDarkWraith
02-25-09, 09:54 AM
1 last question - I did get pennants and all is working fine = except I think I would prefer to just go with the perscope thingy and wakes - is there any way I can lift just these items out of the whole thing so I can just tinker with these without pennants and flags

sure can. Using hex editor, or S3D for those hex editor challenged, simply delete all the nodes dealing with Flags, pennants, and halyard. For the VIIb you'll want to delete:
- 7b_1_Halyard
- 7b_1_Flag_1
- 7b_1_Flag_2
- 7b_1_Pennant_1 through 7b_1_Pennant_8

ensure to delete their reflection nodes also.

Onkel Neal
02-25-09, 10:00 AM
Nice work, Racerboy :salute:

ref
02-25-09, 11:25 AM
I don't design for GWX anymore. If I do then it's for my own use. I'm not giving them the pleasure of using anymore of my ideas with theirs.
Hi RB, I don't usually respond to posts like this, but this time I couldn't resist. can you please list the ideas we stole from you?
IIRC the only time I asked you some info was about a parameter in the animation chunk of the dats, for which I thanked you in the corresponding thread.
I you like to go private with this please feel free to send me a PM.

Ref

TheDarkWraith
02-25-09, 11:54 AM
I don't design for GWX anymore. If I do then it's for my own use. I'm not giving them the pleasure of using anymore of my ideas with theirs.
Hi RB, I don't usually respond to posts like this, but this time I couldn't resist. can you please list the ideas we stole from you?
IIRC the only time I asked you some info was about a parameter in the animation chunk of the dats, for which I thanked you in the corresponding thread.
I you like to go private with this please feel free to send me a PM.

Ref

don't take it personal ref.

ref
02-25-09, 12:05 PM
don't take it personal ref.

How not to?, I'm one of the oldest members of GW, not a founder, but close, and I don't like when you accuse us from stealing ideas, we always make the best we can to credit all contributors to GW.
And don't forget that we have several modders that work on a lot of stuff, and in the long term the probability of developing the same mod that someone outside the team without having knowledge of his work is high, besides, you should look first at your work before throwing the first stone.

Ref

TheDarkWraith
02-25-09, 12:14 PM
Not throwing stones ref. I simply choose not to develop my ideas for use with GWX anymore. If people want it then they'll find a way to make it work with your GWX. End of discussion.

Letum
02-25-09, 12:26 PM

He didn't say anyone 'stole' any ideas, just that people use GWX compatible mods
alongside GWX (obviously) and that he does not care for people to use GWX alongside
his mods.

rascal101
02-26-09, 03:59 AM
Hi Racerboy - I tried your suggestions re getting rid of the flags and pennants but keeping the perescope wakes and twisty thingy - I couldnt work out where to go or what to do - some of the files I can open with notepad and some I can open with s3d - trouble is when I do open it - I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to do and to tell the truth I worry about stuffing the whole thing.

I think you said you made the perescope wake mod for some one on their request, I wonder if you still have those files lying around so I can install them manually or via JSGME

I shouold emphasis I did try - so I do not ask because I'm just a lazy bastard, I have followed your other instructions and have repaired my smoke prblem and sorted my tower emblem - but this and my earlier request to fiddle with lighting and gloss are beyond me - I cant find node2 let alone open and manipulate them

Regards
J