PDA

View Full Version : Too quick on the trigger

awger
01-28-09, 11:56 PM
Greets, all... just registered here.

I recently picked up a copy of SH3 and loaded GWX -- absolutely amazing. I haven't messed around with a sub sim since AOD (and the original 688 before that) so my expectations might have been a bit low, but still... wow. And the GWX manual is so much better than the pitiful thing Ubi put out, Ubi should be ashamed.

In just the first few hours of fiddling around I've come across a few problems that Google couldn't answer, but that I did manage to solve, and wanted to pass them along to all the other noobs who're brand new to SH3+GWX.

#1 -- Using the dx9res10 resolution tweak (to get 1680x1050) I had to change the screen resolution in the d3d9.cfg *and* the SilentHunterIII\Data\Cfg\Main.cfg file to make things work correctly.

#2 -- To find merchant vessels in the recognition manual, click the left arrow on the book cover (there are no arrows in the bottom-right corner) until you see a "country" named "Handelsschiffe" with no flags. All the merchant vessels are in that book, regardless of country.

#3 -- Sinking 20+ thousand tons of British-flagged merchant vessels prior to September 1, 1939 will net you a 500+ renown point *loss*. :oops: Incidently, I sent in patrol reports after each ship sunk, and not once did Bdu say, "Hey, dummy, the war hasn't started yet!"

All-in-all, I'm absolutely floored... and I don't know what SH3 was like before the 1.4b patch, or without GWX... but I don't much care, because what I've got now ROCKS!

:rock:

magicsub2
01-29-09, 01:02 AM
when you where training in konigsberg and you sank the ships, did you lose renown? cos i did:oops:

another thing ubi should have done is to increase multiplayer support, so you could join whenever you want in a game, istead of waiting for a few hours while the host says 'one more person! one more person!'

to make it more realistic they should have included a identification guide that comes with the disk that has all the data, would have been fun and realistic.

A Very Super Market
01-29-09, 01:11 AM
Well, good job on Number one.

I'm assuming you didn't play stock SH3 at all. It's the same situation, all merchant ships have their own category, and labelled in English. No matter, you've got it anyways.

Download SH3 commander, and then download the GWX 3.0 cfg files for SH3 commander. I think without it, you have missed a few pre-patrol orders telling you that the war hasn't started. As for losing renown, you start out with more anyways in 7th flotilla (500 more than the others) so it's basically the same thing.

Oh, and welcome! :up:

Ubi has no control over what type of game the host wants. They don't have mind-control beams, and if they did, they wouldn't use it on SH3 multiplayer hosts. They would use it on Belgium or something

Weiss Pinguin
01-29-09, 11:45 AM
when you where training in konigsberg and you sank the ships, did you lose renown? cos i did:oops:
That's normal. 7th Flotilla has a target range for new kaleuns, and since the war hasn't started all ships are neutral.

To make up for it the 7th Flotilla starts with 500 extra renown.

awger
01-29-09, 01:19 PM

I don't think so... I ran through the academy missions before creating my career, and GWX starts you off with 1500 renown regardless. My mistake was in career mode: leaving Kiel Aug 1, 1939 and making it out to the Shetland Isles in a couple days, and then immediately going hunting. I returned to Kiel on the 14th in the middle of a terrible thunderstorm... how apropos.

to make it more realistic they should have included a identification guide that comes with the disk that has all the data, would have been fun and realistic.

I've seen mention of an actual book (limited edition) that some people got with SH3, that would seem to be pretty handy. If you're not one of the lucky ones, see http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=139607, link to most recent edition on page 4.

Download SH3 commander, and then download the GWX 3.0 cfg files for SH3 commander. I think without it, you have missed a few pre-patrol orders telling you that the war hasn't started.

Downloading now.

Stormin Norman
01-29-09, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the forum, it's a long way since Aces of the deep. :hmmm: