PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I know what sailors are like when ashore...

Lt. Sven Thomsen
01-28-09, 05:20 AM
... but this is getting more than a bit annoying, now my Chief Quartermaster got arrested for being drunk. I'm not happy. So what am I supposed to do about that, should I seek replacement ASAP or is he going to be released and get back into crew?

(I'm, quite obviously, using SH3 Commander 3.2.)

Lt. Sven Thomsen
01-28-09, 05:22 AM
Damn, wrong subforum. Can anyone move it to the right place?

irish1958
01-28-09, 08:56 AM
When CMDR removes a crew member, it replaces him; however the experience, qualification, renown and special ability will not be the same. Just as in real life, your patrol goes out. When you return to port, you can go the the barracks and choose a more suitable replacement. As JSCones points out in the CMDR manual, don't annoy BDU too much with your requests (or you might find yourself commanding a row boat on the Eastern front.).

Weiss Pinguin
01-28-09, 01:08 PM
Actually, when a crewman is taken off your boat because he got arrested or killed or went MIA, SH3 commander doesn't replace him, so far as I can tell. When a normal transfer occurs, though, you should get someone to replace your man.

irish1958
01-28-09, 01:13 PM
You're probably correct. I haven't played with the new CMDR enough yet to get a transfer. In real life, when a crew member was arrested or disabled when the patrol was to start, it went off without.

JScones
01-29-09, 01:02 AM
Actually, when a crewman is taken off your boat because he got arrested or killed or went MIA, SH3 commander doesn't replace him, so far as I can tell. When a normal transfer occurs, though, you should get someone to replace your man. Correct. "Normal" transfers reflect the standard administrative/bureaucratic process: XO lodges appropriate paperwork, it goes through command, it gets considered with similar requests from other Kaleuns, it gets approved, you get a new man. The Commander (you) is blissfully happy that everything is being looked after. All is sweet.

Now, while in RL a replacement through this channel was not as guaranteed as it is in SH3Cmdr, I had to make a small gameplay compromise to avoid SH3Cmdr completely depleting your crew, hence why you'll always get a crewman in when a crewman is transferred out.

Although I will point out, in case it's not obvious, that sometimes your new crewmen may be yours because they missed their previous boat through getting drunk, arrested or whatever, so it works both ways. ;)

For KIA's, arrests and other unforeseen circumstances, the XO will usually not find out about it until fall-in, or close to it. Certainly too late to request formal replacements. In these instances, the Kaleun's only options are to sail without a replacement, or use his renown to "buy" a replacement (through SH3), where he just takes what's on offer.

Although, there is always the possibility (granted it is rare) that you may get the man back again at a later date if his release from gaol/hospital coincides with your next patrol. ;)

@Lt. Sven Thomsen: yes, frustrating isn't it? Just another dimension to being a Kaleun in charge of 50-odd crew!