PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion please!

Rubini
01-26-09, 07:56 PM
As you know Iīm working on a Single Mission Campaign pack.
I'm starting to work on a DasBoot mission for this pack. The idea is to reproduce the movie saga...but after a short research on the net I discovered that a lot of things arenīt historically correct on the movie. See this (from wikipedia):

Criticism
...Even though the beginning and the end of the movie occur in the port of La Rochelle, it does not correspond historically. The submarine base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_base) in La Rochelle was not functional before November 1941, and at the time of the movie the port was dried up.Moreover, none of the British fighter-bombers of late 1941 to early 1942 had the range to bomb La Rochelle. While Saint-Nazaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Nazaire) was the base used in the novel, the film was changed to La Rochelle because its appearance had not changed to such a large degree in the years following World War II...

Iīm very inclined to start the mission at SaintNazaire, the historical real base for U-96...also the end of the history must vary as it is an open ended single mission...if the player achieve to make the Gibraltar crossing safely or with few damage, his last destination, after carry out his patrol mission on Rommel's supply route, will be La Spezia (even it being an Italy base at that time...)

Just as a tease, the mission crew will have the same movie characters as possible and the mission will be slipt in two sequencial SM. The first part before the ressuply meeting at Vigo and the second part after that until the end.

So, what is your opinion about the departure place? Please post also any other idea/comment that you want to share about this mission.

Thanks!

Rubini.

magicsub2
01-26-09, 08:04 PM
just when we thought sh3 was great.............

keep up the good work!

well i would believe its your choice about the base, any base in france would be fine.

maybe saint nazaire *slobers*, with its new design by trainer42 would be fine.

Awful Smutje
01-26-09, 08:28 PM
Hmmmm... :hmm:

I think it's a "Das Boot" mission and no "7th patrol of U-96" mission.
I would like it, like in the movie. I like realism, but when I'm playing a mission based on a movie, I don't await 100% accurate simulation. It's fun to play the story of the film, so I can live with a lack of realism.

JCWolf
01-26-09, 08:45 PM
Hey Rubini,

Long time no see mate..Hope you're Ok..

Das Boot mission will be great, adjust the Historical stuff or you can also reproduce the movie in a mission cause I guess lots of us will love it...I will !

But you can also do a historical correct one, trying to fit the movie into hHistory time line...:hmm: :up:

Thanks for your efforts to give us more to play !:up:

Rubini
01-26-09, 09:05 PM
Hey Rubini,

Das Boot mission will be great, adjust the Historical stuff or you can also reproduce the movie in a mission cause I guess lots of us will love it...I will !

But you can also do a historical correct one, trying to fit the movie into hHistory time line...:hmm: :up:

Doing well mate! Hopes that you too!

For my surprise, after research, all the main events on DasBoot are absolutelly real, really happened to U-96 in that patrol: the meeting of another uboat at sea during an endless storm, the OS-10 convoy attack, the destroyer meetings, the ressuply at Vigo, the mission tranfer to La Spezia, the aircraft bombs at Gibraltar, the extensive damage suffered, the long time submerged trying to fix the boat and the late return to SaintNazaire!!! :o

I have much to work on it...anyway I will not script it so hard because itīs an open ended mission.:up:

JCWolf
01-26-09, 10:56 PM
Hey Rubini,

Doing well mate! Hopes that you too!

For my surprise, after research, all the main events on DasBoot are absolutelly real, really happened to U-96 in that patrol: the meeting of another uboat at sea during an endless storm, the OS-10 convoy attack, the destroyer meetings, the ressuply at Vigo, the mission tranfer to La Spezia, the aircraft bombs at Gibraltar, the extensive damage suffered, the long time submerged trying to fix the boat and the late return to SaintNazaire!!! :o

I have much to work on it...anyway I will not script it so hard because itīs an open ended mission.:up:

The story its very good, and if you can at least the best of it
add it into a single mission it would be awesome..

Very cool idea from you making that mission...

I never even thought the story or the facts on the movie were real...:o :up:

FIREWALL
01-26-09, 11:07 PM
I'll be happy any way you do it. :up:

Contact
01-27-09, 04:00 AM
Of course, this movie was made historically inaccurately. You may notice that even ASDIC system can spot a submarine below 200 meters. What was still not possible at 1941.
So Das Boot was made to impress viewer forgeting real historicall facts. And yes ordinary viewer wont spot these missmatches, who ain't interested in war history.
But we see it clear though :cool:

robbythesub
01-27-09, 06:12 AM
This will be a great one, so dont mind which port in reality.

Shame they didnt use the deck gun in the film (before it got blown away near Gibraltar!).

:up:

SquareSteelBar
01-27-09, 06:46 AM
Sounds very interesting, mate... :rock:

HW3
01-27-09, 08:06 AM
You might want to check here for more info on U-96, and the Das Boot patrol.
http://www.uboat.net/boats/u96.htm

Rubini
01-28-09, 01:34 AM
I will start at La Rochelle because:
-some ppl have different SaintNazaire harbour now
-I'm modding the bunker to have band, nurses, P.Thomsem, etc - and for the main reason above, this needs to me made on La Rochelle now. Here some pics. The music played by the band is really "Muss_I_Denn" as in the movie and from DasBoot sound track.:D

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/60/u96larochelle1ng7.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4584/u96larochelle2tn8.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9547/u96larochelle3rp1.jpg

Awful Smutje
01-28-09, 08:18 AM
:up: Good choice, in my eyes.

I still offer you my help, maybe with the translations, research or minor editing issues. (Still no modding crack. ;))

I have to acknowledge that I still hadn't played your first mission yet. :oops: It's a shame, but I'm very busy because of my move and my exams...

urfisch
01-28-09, 08:25 AM
nice idea!

but as the harbours all do not look like their original example..let it start a la rochelle.

justmy2centz

AH_Thor
01-28-09, 11:49 AM
Rubini...do your best !!! :up:

;)

StarLion45
01-28-09, 03:15 PM
:D Hi Rubini :D

:()1: Do it , do it .:()1:

And by the way , how do you managed
to get your graphics so clear and smooth :hmm:

Kpt. Lehmann
01-28-09, 10:24 PM
Sounds pretty darn cool to me Rubini! :up: :up: :up:

Das Boot would make for a great linear campaign fileset!

TarJak
01-29-09, 05:18 AM
Sounds good!:up: