PDA

View Full Version : Ship Names Mod

Sailor Steve
01-26-09, 01:19 PM
I'm sure everybody has seen the new SH3 Commander Release (no, I'm not going to try to remember the complete title. I'll just call it 'The New One!:rotfl: ).
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147237

JScones makes reference to IABL's new Merchant Mod Pack, and to the work I've been doing on ship names. You may have also seen me refer to this from time to time. Now that 'The New One' is out, I can finally say this:

WELCOME TO THE WORLD'S MOST USELESS MOD!

USELESS!? WHY?
Well, it's useless because it doesn't do anything. You're not going to look at it and say "Wow! I've never seen a more beautiful sea or sky!". You're not going to look at it and say "Thanks Steve! Now I finally understand manual targetting!" In fact, you're never going to look at it at all (unless you like looking at boring lists).

SO WHY MAKE A USELESS MOD?
What happened was this: back when the original SH3 Commander was released I played my first patrol, and I sank a Coastal Merchant (now Tramp Steamer) for around 1960 tons. When I finished the patrol it was given the name 'S.S. President Jefferson'. Somehow that didn't sound right to me, so I did some research an found that there were two 'President Jeffersons'. One was a Liberty Ship of around 7176 tons, and the other was an American ocean liner of around 14,000 tons. Neither of these was a small tramp steamer plyingt the east coast of Britain in 1939.

I looked in Commander and found that the list was generic, and decided I wanted to change that. My original plan was to find the tonnage of each ship on the list and make a new list which would contain only ships of that size. As time went on and the research got deeper, people like AG124, Von Dos, AOTD MadMax and of course Iambecomelife were busy making new models, which both game me more leeway to assign ships to not only the proper size, but in more and more cases the proper appearance.

I was talking to JScones, Bigboywooly and IABL, and this led to IABL wanting the new features that Jaesen has added to Commander, and my finally getting some lists done. The Commander 'Generic' list has been reduced from 3500 names to less than 900, and every category in the list now has specific names applied, so any ship you sink will have a very similar tonnage to the actual ship with that name, and several (like T09A, the 'Arrow' tanker) will actually look just like the real ship.

What this all means is that from now on the ship you sink will get a name pretty close to the real one. And that's about it.

I'm not doing a separate release at this time, as the list is included in 'The New One', but my research is ongoing and I plan to release a new update every month or so, with 200-300 new names each time.

The first one will contain appropriate names for IABL's new release, and after that it will just be additional names for each ship class. I have about two years to go before I'm actually done, and the current list has about 9000 names on it.

Here's to realism! Have fun.:sunny:

bigboywooly
01-26-09, 01:41 PM
Never a useless mod

One of those files no one notices until there is a problem - ie no ship name
Nicely done Steve :up:

Awful Smutje
01-26-09, 01:43 PM
USELESS???

Nonono... Accurancy is never useless!

I like these detailed mods. You can feel every bit of love, the modder put in it.

And I'll watch every patrol log and think "Steve I love you!" ;)

Let's go historically correct! :rock:

FIREWALL
01-26-09, 01:46 PM
:up: :up: :up: S.S.

Sailor Steve
01-26-09, 06:27 PM
"Useless" was a joke, and one I've been wanting to make for months. I like my jokes. One of the things I talked to Dan about in Houston is the fact that for almost every name I have I also have the real GRT. This means that in the future (SH5 perhaps) you can sink a ship and get a name and be awarded the actual tonnage; and even look it up online and verify it.

That's realism for me. But that's also for the future.

Weiss Pinguin
01-26-09, 07:02 PM
If Ubi contracted the fantastic modders we have here to develop SH5, we would have the most incredible subsim to date. :arrgh!: Include the modders from other places, and the dev team would be unstoppable...

Anyways, looking forward to your most useful of useless mods, Sailor Steve. :lol:

Sailor Steve
01-26-09, 07:16 PM
Thanks. Nothing to look forward to though - it's out. Just download the new SH3 Commander (link in my first post). Then you'll have it.

Weiss Pinguin
01-26-09, 07:23 PM
Oh, well, then looking forward to your monthly updates? :lol:

JScones
01-27-09, 01:49 AM
Never a useless mod

Nicely done Steve :up:
Or cargo type. :roll: ;)

Bl@&dy Steve.

:rotfl:

Sailor Steve
01-27-09, 02:39 PM
Bl@&dy Steve.

Me no speaka de Oz.:rotfl:

Jimbuna
01-27-09, 03:15 PM
Well I certainly remember the conversation we had in Texas and the interesting presentation you gave in Neals house.

I also recall how very obvious it was that a great deal of time, effort and research had been spent on said mod.

Well done Steve, this is an extremely valuable addition to SH3 and the latest Commander masterpiece from Jaesen.

Congratulations my friend....looking forward to the updates. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

bigboywooly
01-27-09, 03:32 PM
Never a useless mod

Nicely done Steve :up: Or cargo type. :roll: ;)

Bl@&dy Steve.

Well you shouldnt be so accomadating
Not that I recall you needed much persuassion to push out a new commander :hmm:
But must admit with crew list and cargo the patrol report reads a lot fuller

Never really read thru the reports before as much as I do now

onelifecrisis
01-27-09, 03:43 PM
Thanks Steve (for the version included in 'The New One'). A lot of work must have gone into this USELESS bit of functionality. :up: Much appreciated.

TarJak
01-27-09, 08:33 PM
Well I certainly remember the conversation we had in Texas and the interesting presentation you gave in Neals house.

I also recall how very obvious it was that a great deal of time, effort and research had been spent on said mod.

Well done Steve, this is an extremely valuable addition to SH3 and the latest Commander masterpiece from Jaesen.

Congratulations my friend....looking forward to the updates. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif
Ditto and about you no speaka de Oz, I disticnly remember teaching you how to say "Owyagoinmayt" in Houston.:rotfl:

JScones
01-28-09, 12:38 AM
Never a useless mod

Nicely done Steve :up: Or cargo type. :roll: ;)

Bl@&dy Steve.

Well you shouldnt be so accomadating
Not that I recall you needed much persuassion to push out a new commander :hmm: You didn't witness the endless groveling by PM and email. Endless it was. Every day for months and months, if not years.

That's how I remember it anyway. :hmm:
But must admit with crew list and cargo the patrol report reads a lot fuller

Never really read thru the reports before as much as I do now Yeah, likewise. I must admit it turned out much more interesting than I thought.

And IABL plans on adding many more cargo types, so it'll only get even more detailed as time goes on.

JCWolf
01-28-09, 01:24 AM
now...

Ladies and Germs....:lol:

This is something that realy will change the way we watch
a ship over the periscope...:rock: :up:

It is diferent to sink a T4 then Sink St. Louis !:yep:

Well done Sailor Steve!
Great idea and finaly a new ship name realism Mod...:rock: :up:

irish1958
01-28-09, 09:17 AM
Never a useless mod

I am currently working of a really completely and utterly useless mod of unmitigated nonsense with absolutely no redeeming value of any type whatsoever to any person or persons except morons, brain challenged nerds and teenagers. I hope to release it soon, if I can find it.

I know what a useless mod is Steve; yours is not useless :up:

Sailor Steve
01-28-09, 07:46 PM
Well, now that I've succeeded in grabbing some sympathy (what a whiner), I forgot to mention in my first post that this version not only covers the ships in GWX, but also the Community Units Mod, for those of you who use it.

Watch this space for a custom NYGM version coming soon.:sunny:

Awful Smutje
01-28-09, 08:23 PM
Just one word:

:o NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

variellone
02-11-09, 03:39 AM
Hi Sailor Steve!
I was really looking forward using the mod, but I activated via SH3 Commander, but I cannot see the real names in the patrol log (the one you get by pressing key "K"), where only the type of ship is reported (eg: Ore Freighter, etc)

Where am I wrong?
Thanks for helping a newbie.....

THANKS!

irish1958
02-11-09, 09:25 AM
variellone,
Check the log in SH3CMDR for your Kaleun.
BTW Welcome aboard

Sailor Steve
02-11-09, 03:33 PM
^ ^ ^

What he said. After the patrol is finished, go back into SH3 Commander and click on your career. At the bottom, under 'Click For Available Actions', click 'Update Your Personnel File'. Commander will then create the file for your captain. There you can click on 'Patrol 1' and you'll see all the results. Once that is done you can go back into SH3 itself and when you look at the patrol report it will be updated with the Ship Names, Cargo Types and Crew/Losses. This is the only way Commander can do it. It's also the best way, because what you see is information that you wouldn't know until after it had been confirmed by BdU, and sometimes not even until after the war was over.

Oh, and also what he said: WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

variellone
02-11-09, 06:22 PM
I guessed that was the way it was going to work, since I still am in my first patrol and in SH3commander I still got a blank patrol list.....but I was too much looking forward to see the effects of this fascinating mod!!!!
Rookie's desire was driving me, I would say! :)
But then again, OT....I cannot find anymore where I could choose to have my crew speaking german....I thought it wass under audio, but with GWX3.0 installed I can't find it anymore! I searched on the forum, but was unable to find an answer and I also couldn't find it in the game's manual!!!
Who can help?
Thanks!

ans special thanks to STEVE! RESPECT!

evan82
02-11-09, 06:37 PM
Welcome on Forum variellone:yeah::woot:

variellone
02-11-09, 06:48 PM
Welcome on Forum variellone:yeah::woot:

Hi evan!
can you help me with the crew language selection in GWX 3.0?

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME ON BOARD!

HW3
02-11-09, 06:57 PM
Start SHIII and under options/voices language you will find what you are looking for.

variellone
02-12-09, 03:44 AM
Start SHIII and under options/voices language you will find what you are looking for.

THANKS HW3!
It seems to be ok now...but I'm worried for my mind....
I would have bet a million dollars I could only see "Audio " and "video" in that menu when I was playing the last time, searching for the speech option.....
(Luckily I miss a million dollars by far, so no risks taken....)
My God...I must be worried and my crew will be worried as well! :wah:
It is not nice to be in the middle on WW2, 30 meters down the surface with such a distracted KaLeun!!! :stare:

Thanks for your help and good huntng.......
...and might your torpedoes never be dude.

variellone
02-13-09, 09:28 PM
Sailor Steve,

FOUR THUMBS UP FOR YOU AND YOUR JOB!
I have checked my first (new) patrol within SH3 Commander after I got back to the homeport.....
I'm speechless......

Thanks for adding the right feeling to my KaLeun's register!

:up::up::up::up:

Sailor Steve
02-14-09, 04:27 PM
Glad you like it. As I said, there will be regular updates. The first one adds IABL's new Ore Freighter. The next one should add all of his new Merchant Mod Pack.

After that it will be mostly adding new names. I only have about 6000 to go that I know of.

Jimbuna
02-14-09, 04:46 PM
Steve...are the updates cumulative?

Sailor Steve
02-14-09, 04:51 PM
Absolutely. Each one adds new names to the list, or in a few cases rearranges names already there, but the list is a single file so all that is needed is to replace it with the newest one.

The only exception is the NYGM list, which is for that mod alone and should not be used with any others.

Jimbuna
02-14-09, 04:55 PM
Cheers....I was just thinking ahead, should I ever miss a one :yep:

nikbear
02-15-09, 03:47 AM
Have to agree with whats been mentioned,its fantastic that you've done this SS,really does help with immersion and feeling when you look at what you've managed to sink in SH3Cmdr,thank you for all your hard work,it is greatly appreciated:salute::yeah::up:

Uber Gruber
02-15-09, 08:18 AM
So where is this mod ? I've gone to Sailor Steves Favourite Places (BTS) but its not listed there....am I missing something ? A brain perhapps, or some eyes ?

Cheers, Hans.

bigboywooly
02-15-09, 11:13 AM
So where is this mod ? I've gone to Sailor Steves Favourite Places (BTS) but its not listed there....am I missing something ? A brain perhapps, or some eyes ?

Cheers, Hans.

Possibly both

The first release was included IN SH3commander 3.2
Latest is here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147959

Uber Gruber
02-15-09, 01:45 PM
Thanks BBW, must've been that beer I drank :doh:

I've installed it now....thanks!