PDA

View Full Version : [REL]WideScreen Mod: First Beta Release (Jan 21, 2009)

Rubini
01-19-09, 02:34 AM
January, 21 2009
Wide Screen mod for SH3 open pre beta V1.0
======================================
Mod by Rubini.
Compatible with GWX 2.1/3.0

Credits:
Skwas' S3D tool
GWX team

Usage and actual progress:
This mod allows SH3 to run in a wide screen mode without streched 3D images.
I and others already have tryed to find a way to get this in the past but without any progres until I find the solution some days ago.
In this stage the mod is already useful and ready to be used. Note that for now only (but the more important ones) 3D views are adjusted. All the 2D tgas (loading screens, TDC, masks, etc, etc) yet need to be adjusted folowed by it's needles, text, buttons position, etc. This will be a huge work (but not difficult) that needs a team to work on.
Also the Periscope and Uzo views are yet streched. The Bino view is already adjusted. I only can adjust the Peri/Uzo after we adjust the mask.

Downsides:
1. Event camera will continue streched - I can't find it's camera parameters...if someone knows where it is please contact me (obviously i already looked at EventCameras.dat). Seems that it's hardcoded.
2. Sunhalo only appears at the extrem left part of the screen, no fix until now, besides the majority of DX10 cards have problems with sunhalo even on stock game, linked to the AA/Gama_correction settings.

Files content:
data\library\cameras.dat
data\Interior\NSS_Uboat2\NSS_Uboat2_CR.cam (this is where the type II A/D interior fore camera parameters are)

Installation:
JSGME ready, you can enable it at any point on your campaign. It's totally harmless, if you don't like it just disable using JSGME and continue your game.

============================================

F.A.Q.

How it works?
What make it work is the parameter "Right" at Viewport section on Cameraparams controller, Cameras.dat file. The value range for 16:9 is 1.4 to 1.45. To 16:10 is 1.35 to 1.4. I put them all on 1.4, this way it will work for both 16:9 or 16:10. (original values are set at 1.0)
I also made small cameras' angles adjusts just to fit the new "zoom"aspect of the wide screen mode.

Will work with the HighResolution mod?
Yes, at any resolution!

Do I really need a widescreen monitor to play with this mod?
Yes, obviously...only WS monitors have the physical size with 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

How the better resolution? How I must adjust my monitor?
1. using the High resolution mod at the exactly resolution of your WS monitor is the best option. (HighResolution mod don't allow to alt tab in some systems and also have some others small issues, it's up to you use it or not)
2. if you don't use HR mode, so you will run at stock 1024x768. Ok just let your WS monitor fulfill the entire visual area and you will have the game in correct WS aspect using this mod. No FPS losses in any way.

Any future mod differences to fit 16:9 or 16:10 WS monitors?
My Sony LCD TV monitor have 1360x768 pixels, physical size in exact 16:9. So i don't know for sure about 16:10...but i guess that it will work out of the box for both without need different set of files.

Future of this WideScreen mod...
Well, I will stop right here if I don't receive help from the experts on menu_1024/texture guys. The work necessary to adjust all that things exposed above is too much for one guy.
I'm also an eye candy freaking guy and the problems with the event camera and sunhalo really annoy me...I almost drop the mod after not find a solution for them...although after have played an entire patrol with the mod enabled I then really becomes very excited with it again.

Last minutes comments:
I just really tested it with a Type IID and with a Type VIIC. I guess that it will work with any uboat. If you tested it with some other uboat, please post here yours observations. This will help a lot.
In the end, this is an open community mod, so, obviously, your feedback (good or not) is absolutely important and necessary!

Have fun!
Rubini.

Links:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jngzynmzeit/WideScreen_SH3_V1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/187320443/WideScreen_SH3_V1.rar

Rubini
01-19-09, 02:34 AM
Here. Look that the tga dials are yet streched. See about in the first post. What is already done is all 3D views. Now we need to finish working on the tgas/tdc, intro, etc. Notice the pics before and after the mod:

Before the mod:
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3640/uboatstrly2.jpg

After trhe mod:
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3540/uboatexternal1ck2.jpg

before
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4209/interior1strdk8.jpg

after
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9518/interior1lm6.jpg

Here a link with more pics:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/otmbo2jmjyg/SH3_WScreen_pics.7z (http://www.mediafire.com/file/otmbo2jmjyg/SH3_WScreen_pics.7z)

Task Force
01-19-09, 02:41 AM
Finally, SH3 will look right on my wide screen monitor.:p COOL!!!

jaxa
01-19-09, 03:52 AM
It sounds very interesting. Can this idea be used for hires playing, not only on widescreen? I use hires patch now for playing 1280x1024 resolution on 19" LCD, but it makes circles oval (ratio 4:3, should be 5:4)?

Rubini
01-19-09, 04:02 AM
It sounds very interesting. Can this idea be used for hires playing, not only on widescreen? I use hires patch now for playing 1280x1024 resolution on 19" LCD, but it makes circles oval (ratio 4:3, should be 5:4)?

Hi Jaxa,

Yes, it works with any wide screen 16x9 resolution! Stock or using high resolution mod. Itīs also possible configurate it to others aspects...but I guess that the 16x9 is most common one, no?:up:

In time...do you had time to try that SMission?;)

Reece
01-19-09, 05:18 AM
Sounds very good but I use my own combo of GWX 1.03, and many single mods, since the menu_1024 ini file is different for each super mod will you be releasing the details so we can mod our own versions?:D
Thanks.
Edit: Would it be possible just to use a search & replace or maybe easier to edit the guage images, deliberately adjust out of scale?

Wolfehunter
01-19-09, 09:05 AM
Now this is a gem! Must have. :rock:

Rubini
01-19-09, 09:43 AM
Sounds very good but I use my own combo of GWX 1.03, and many single mods, since the menu_1024 ini file is different for each super mod will you be releasing the details so we can mod our own versions?:D
Thanks.
Edit: Would it be possible just to use a search & replace or maybe easier to edit the guage images, deliberately adjust out of scale?

Reece, I just ried to adjust the uzo view and itīs button until now. But ye will be possible make a search, copy and paste on the non 3d gauges and scales...i myself also have a heavy modded menu_1024, so I also needed to work on mine.

My idea is make a basic one for GWX 3.0 for example, then we will learn all the tricks and then will be more easy to adjust any other non 3D gauges.

We need a good menu_1024 man... Someone?:hmm:

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-09, 09:44 AM
Nice work on this Rubini :yep::up:

RDP

Rubini
01-19-09, 09:45 AM

Hi mate!
Do you know a good TGA man? Will be need to adjust all static (intros) TGAs, UZO/Periscopes/Binocular, nav map and others masks and finally the non 3d dials, pointers, etc. Please someone!

makman94
01-19-09, 09:59 AM
Hi mate!
Do you know a good TGA man? Will be need to adjust all static (intros) TGAs, UZO/Periscopes/Binocular, nav map and others masks and finally the non 3d dials, pointers, etc. Please someone!

hello rubini, i think that jscones has a solution for that problem (if i am not wrong it works only on nvidia cards) .
although i tried his suggestions i didn't manage to see sh3 in wide screen

better pm him

bye

Lagger123987
01-19-09, 10:20 AM
I don't know but to me the pics are the same.....

ReallyDedPoet
01-19-09, 10:45 AM
The first one is harder to tell the difference, but you can see the " stretching " in the second set.

RDP

bert8for3
01-19-09, 11:39 AM
And the zipped pics also show it well.

Very nice, Rubini :up:

Fubar2Niner
01-19-09, 02:01 PM
@Rubini again you have waved the magic wand. I have been waiting for ages for a solution to the widescreen ssttrreettcchh...... Well done Kaleun, it seems you have injected hope again (why am I not surprised !) :rock: . Just hope someone takes this up, if only I had the skills, alas I'm not so gifted.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Hunter
01-19-09, 03:28 PM
It is fantastic!

999-Jay-999
01-19-09, 04:55 PM
This is fantastic news.... Well done Rubini.

Reece
01-19-09, 07:08 PM
Reece, I just ried to adjust the uzo view and itīs button until now. But ye will be possible make a search, copy and paste on the non 3d gauges and scales...i myself also have a heavy modded menu_1024, so I also needed to work on mine.

My idea is make a basic one for GWX 3.0 for example, then we will learn all the tricks and then will be more easy to adjust any other non 3D gauges.
Thanks Rubini, I haven't got my widescreen yet, it was funny that this thread popped up when it did, see post #30: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146707&page=2
If nothing has happened regarding this mod when my monitor arives I will PM you, I'm a little rusty with the menu ini file but persistent & could give it a go!:yep:

Philipp_Thomsen
01-19-09, 07:14 PM
Sua mulher vai te matar! :lol:

Minha viagem comeįa em 15 dias... :rock:

onelifecrisis
01-19-09, 07:17 PM
Great work! :) As for the menu file, I fear the dials will be a problem. :-? FYI you can "squash" the dial backrounds easily, but if you squash the needles it won't work because the squashing is done before the rotating i.e. whatever shape you make the needle, it will still describe an oval shape when it rotates. But everything else in the menu file can be squashed into shape.

Marko_Ramius
01-19-09, 08:41 PM
:up: Good news !

but I guess that the 16x9 is most common one, no?

I think you mean 16x10 :hmm: My 1680x1050 resolution is a 16/10, i think.

Hi OLC, nice to see you there ;)

Rubini
01-20-09, 07:32 AM
I will reply all last posts in one:

Reece:
Thanks mate! Your help will be welcome!

PT:
How are you mate? Let's talk on live today at night...

OLC:
Thanks for the tip mate. And please...can you join this project?:yep: ...i guess that you have all the necessary knowledge to run over this. If you have the time and disposition, please contact me and we can start the project ASAP! And I yet have hope that we can find a way to adjust also the needles correctly...:up:

Marko:
I use a Sony 26 WS TV Monitor, 1360/768, (16/9) or aspect rate 1,77 which is the new media industry standard aspect ratio for HDTV (1920/1080) and PC monitors. Then all we you have one in this aspect ratio (1,77) in short near future if yet don't have. Also even your monitor having a 16/10, probably it's physic format is in 16/9.:up:

Also as a last minute info on the WS mod: the event camera aspect ratio is really hardcoded...so even if we adjust all others things the event camera will remains streched. It's a downside, but it's also just marginal. What you think guys?:hmm:

NGT
01-20-09, 01:22 PM
Sua mulher vai te matar! :lol:

Minha viagem comeįa em 15 dias... :rock:
This means our friend Philipp will go for “ever” in 15 days.

A big loss for the community...:cry:

But is just a game, and the life is out of the screen. . .

Wolfehunter
01-20-09, 04:57 PM
Hi mate!
Do you know a good TGA man? Will be need to adjust all static (intros) TGAs, UZO/Periscopes/Binocular, nav map and others masks and finally the non 3d dials, pointers, etc. Please someone!To be honest I never touched the Mainmenu UI's yet.

Venatore and JCWolf come to mind. I could take a peak at it. Just send me the files and tell me what you need done.

I'll try to help. ;)

-SWCowboy.
01-20-09, 06:10 PM
Wow, I'm ready for this mod! My damn 1440x900 screen res. is a PITA when it comes to enjoying SH3!!

Rubini
01-21-09, 01:21 AM
A later update:

After more extensive tests, i guess that now I know all itīs greats and limitations:
I finished one entire campaign patrol with the WScreen mod enabled without any problem. The visual is really terrific.

A. Already done and working correctly:
1. All 3d views controlled by the player are totally adjusted - object view, free view, all station views, all internal views, internal free views.
2. Internal fore view for Type IIA/D that is not in the cameras.dat

B. The unfixable downsides:
1. event cameras yet streched, seems hardcoded
2. Sun halo only appears at the very left of the screen, a stock problematic bug with DX 10 cards that also reappears on the WS mod, no way to solve it without losing the widescreen mode.

C. The fixable issues - tons of specific work - (in near future with the help of the community):
1. to a complete Wscreen game all tgas related to 2d images that appears in game screens (intro, office, campaign options, uzo mask, bino mask, etc) and also all dials and buttons (TDC, icons, dials, needles, etc) need to be adjusted
2. the menu_1024 will also needs position adjusts for these buttons, needles, bearings, etc.
3. fonts aspect ratio adjust
4. Specific adjusts on the UZO/Bino/Periscope views to adjust the aspect ratio too - already tested and working, just waiting for the new masks.

Notice that the mod already works well even without this extensive future work decribed at item "C".

I will release a pre beta, GWX2.1/3.0 compatible tomorrow, ready out of the box on the cameras view side as explained above, you can enable it at any point in a campaign game without any problem.

Rubini
01-21-09, 01:25 AM
Hi mate!
Do you know a good TGA man? Will be need to adjust all static (intros) TGAs, UZO/Periscopes/Binocular, nav map and others masks and finally the non 3d dials, pointers, etc. Please someone!To be honest I never touched the Mainmenu UI's yet.

Venatore and JCWolf come to mind. I could take a peak at it. Just send me the files and tell me what you need done.

I'll try to help. ;)

Thanks mate. I guess that you will help a lot. Tomorrow I will release a pre beta and some directions. Then you will see it in action by yourself and will understand better what we need. We can start talking about after you run it a bit.:up:

StarLion45
01-21-09, 03:26 AM
:o Ahoy folks:D

Now I read these post a couple of days , and I enjoying it a lot .
I use a regular 19' screen , res 1280 x 1024 .
Can I use this mod to get the graphics look better :hmm:
I use the Danlisa res fix with those batch files .
Again will the GWX 3 look better if I use this mod:o :o :hmm: :p

Reece
01-21-09, 04:32 AM
@ Rubini, has a fix ever been found for the cursor that dissapears by the amount greater than 1024 x 768 (hope you know what I mean).:D

Wolfehunter
01-21-09, 04:51 AM
Hi mate!

I'll try to help. ;)
Thanks mate. I guess that you will help a lot. Tomorrow I will release a pre beta and some directions. Then you will see it in action by yourself and will understand better what we need. We can start talking about after you run it a bit.:up:A good program that gives you details about your vid card is called GPU Caps Viewer.

www.oZone.3D.net (http://www.oZone.3D.net)

Its free and has some good benchmark tests on it.

Example my rigs vid card specs.

Render: Nvidia GeForce GTX 280
GPU: GT200
Memory Size 1024Mb
Num GPU's: 1
Display Mode: 1680x1050@60Hz-32bpp
OpenGL 2.1
TUs/ROPs 80/32
Shader Processors 240 Unified
DirectX 10.0
PhysX Drivers Version 81013

So-on

This can help you set standards and know the limitations of what your asking for.

I'll test your work when its available dude.

:up:

Marko_Ramius
01-21-09, 10:59 AM
so even if we adjust all others things the event camera will remains streched. It's a downside, but it's also just marginal. What you think guys?

It's really not a problem to me. I never use this event Camera, so ..don't care about it.

Fubar2Niner
01-21-09, 01:43 PM
@Rubini.

Will this be an open beta? Can't wait to get my hands on it mate :rock:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Rubini
01-21-09, 02:33 PM
@Rubini.

Will this be an open beta? Can't wait to get my hands on it mate :rock:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Yes, open beta! I really need community feedback to know if we will go ahead with the mod or not.
Few hours ahead now. I'm at my work.:up:

jaxa
01-21-09, 02:37 PM
Rubini, if this mod is complete it will be one of the most important addons for SH3.
Keep your good work.
I'd like to check it (after fixing my desktop comp :damn: ).

Wildhawke11
01-21-09, 04:11 PM
Will be one of the best mods ever ---- One of the main reasons i am still using a CRT is SH3
Danny

Rubini
01-21-09, 04:11 PM
First post updated with the first pre beta release links!
Please try it, it's harmless, JSGME ready, you can enable it at any point, and we need your opinion.:up:

You obviously needs to have an wide screen monitor! :D

bert8for3
01-21-09, 04:48 PM
:up: will give it a try

Myxale
01-22-09, 08:22 AM
OMG! After all this time it's almost done!:o:rotfl::arrgh!::ping::up:
This is probably the last thing that really was needed.

Rubini:rock::rock::rock:

StarLion45
01-22-09, 01:08 PM
:D Hi everyone :D

I have bought me a new 22'' widescreen monitor today:smug:
So I wanted to give this mod a try , but to my big surprise it didn't work:damn:
I have " Danlisas high res fix " with those two batch files ,and I did it like I should .
My widescreen resolution is 1920x1080 . So why didn't it work:o

Rubini
01-22-09, 03:12 PM
:D Hi everyone :D

I have bought me a new 22'' widescreen monitor today:smug:
So I wanted to give this mod a try , but to my big surprise it didn't work:damn:
I have " Danlisas high res fix " with those two batch files ,and I did it like I should .
My widescreen resolution is 1920x1080 . So why didn't it work:o

Thanks StarLion for the feedback. Itīs the first one!:D

Well,
1. What did not worked? The game itself or you continue with 4:3 aspect ratio?
2. Can you show us your d3d9.cfg (from high resolution mod)?
3. The High resolution mod , if I recall well, isnīt a mod from Danlisa.
4. Are you shure that you applyed the mod correctly? I mean folder structure...

Fubar2Niner
01-22-09, 03:35 PM
Thanks Rubini just downloaded and loading up, will report back. God bless ya shipmate :up:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

StarLion45
01-22-09, 06:30 PM
:D Thanks Rubini for the quick response:D

I have a very strong interest for such res.fix:yep:
I am villing to learn:p you aske me what was wrong , I don't know to be honest :o
I have 1920x1080 res on my new 22'' wide and those batch files .
I show you my d3d9.dll file here you go :

; DX9res Settings
; by Kegetys <kegetys@dnainternet.net>
;
; Note that this config is reloaded on device reset, so you can task switch out
; of the game, change settings from this file and then return
;

[config]
; ResX: Horizontal resolution setting
; ResY: Vertical resolution setting
; useFiltering: Use linear filtering for UI elements
; enableScreenshots: Hook printscreen keypress to save TGA screenshot
resX=1920
resY=1080
useFiltering=1
enableScreenshots=1
screenshotPath=.

[gamma]
; setGamma: Override gamma ramp
; gammaRed: Red channel gamma (1.0 = normal, decrease to add brightess, increase to darken)
; gammaGreen: Green channel gamma (1.0 = normal, decrease to add brightess, increase to darken)
; gammaBlue: Blue channel gamma (1.0 = normal, decrease to add brightess, increase to darken)
setGamma=0
gammaRed=1.0
gammaGreen=1.0
gammaBlue=1.0

StarLion45
01-22-09, 06:33 PM
:D Btw I downloaded it like I should using JSGME .

Here is my modlist :

(I installed your last)

GWX 3 St Naz and Schluese
GWX - 16km Atmosphere
Lutzow's Officers - SET4
Lutzow's Officers - SET5
Lutzow's Officers - SET6
CapZapEmblemsPack_Final
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
GWX3.0 Additional_Ammo
Visible U-Marker
BBWarspite
Community units
U-53_eagle_Tower_GWX
VIIB Early War Skin
U-Boat Bases Map with New St Nazaire
Waterstream+Exhaust KombiMod V1.0
WideScreen_SH3_V1

Rubini
01-22-09, 07:02 PM
StarLion,

Seems that your d3d9.cfg is ok.
Then check these:
1. Widescreen mode only works at fullscreen (will not work windowed)
2. It must be applyed using JSGME as you did, but sometimes ppl decompress with an one more folder layer and the files goes to the wrong places. Check this carefully,
3. Please tell me: itīs the game that donīt run or you yet have it at 4:3 or you have it 4:3 but in a different shape?
5. Can you send me a screenshot?

Reece
01-22-09, 10:31 PM
Hey Rubini, you didn't answer my post #29!:roll: Was that selective!:p

Rubini
01-22-09, 10:49 PM
@ Rubini, has a fix ever been found for the cursor that dissapears by the amount greater than 1024 x 768 (hope you know what I mean).:D

Hi Reece,

Sorry to not reply this question before. I guess that was the rush to finish the mod and my real life...:D

Yes, I know what you mean...and AFAIK it continues there on highresolution mod and then also in WS mod if you use it with HR mod...I frequently play the game in stock 1024x768 because in my system the HR mod donīt allow me to alt tab what is essential to make/test mods. Also, frequently, when making mods I play windowed...then I donīt notice this bug from ages!:up:

Reece
01-22-09, 11:58 PM
when making mods I play windowed...then I donīt notice this bug from ages!:up:Cripes I never thought of running in a window, if it works then I would say that the mouse simply uses the system driver, not it's own.:yep:

StarLion45
01-23-09, 01:11 PM
:D Hi :D

I've been thinking . The sub looking good as you can see .
I can live with the periscope looking oval , but the sun halo , I can't stand :nope:
I looked at my " d3d9.dll " file , I see there's gamma settings in it . I using the "famous " " nHancer 2.4.2 " (august 2008 ) , with pleasure :) You wrote in the "nHancer" post sometime ago that gamma correction must be turned off . Ok,,
here's the question , can it be possible to change , and maybe turn of the gamma settings in the "d3d9.dll" file in away:o :hmm: ' Cause the sun looking ugly .

Anyway here is the screenshot :

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1718/screenshotcb4.jpg

Rubini
01-23-09, 02:31 PM
StarLion,

So, it's working. Good.
About periscope and all others 2D masks, as I said in the first post, they are not yet fixed but it's doable. This is just a pre beta to we "taste" the mod.

Sun halo and event camera seems that are hardcoded and perhaps never will be fixed. Anyway I yet have some hope on sun halo problem...because as it is now its a no go to me too. I'm too eye candy freaking guy to live without it.:-?

Rubini
01-23-09, 02:42 PM
Now about Gamma correction.
The gama AA correction in the nhancer/nvidia driver isn't the same that are in HR mod. HR mod settings is just about shine and contrast (Gama) of the middle tones.

The Gama AA correction on nhancer/nvidia is about a polished way to apply AA, what have some problems in some games. In Sh3 the main problem is about sun halo.

But...in the widescreen mod this is not the same problem. The problem here is linked to the camera position wich is modified by the mod; probably something hardcoded or at least difficult to find a solution until now. We have sun halo on the WS mod, but only at the far left side of the window...also totally normal in the event camera (because the event camera wasn't modded in truth); this is what intrigues me...must be a solution in some place on the Sh3 files. I already tried a lot of things on scene.dat, cameras.dat but no dice. Perhaps one day...:hmm:

Fubar2Niner
01-23-09, 03:16 PM
@Rubini

Just taken your beta for a whirl after work held me up sooooooo long :cry: . What can I say......... stunning shipmate abso bloody lutely stunning !!!!!!!!!!

Just 2 example screenshots;

1st without w/screen fix: http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/fubar2niner/nowidescreen.jpg

Then in full WIDESCREEN GLORY:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/fubar2niner/withwidescreen.jpg

If this is a taste of things to come, I feel we all @ SubSim owe you enough beer to ground your boot in. More tests and shots to follow.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Rubini
01-23-09, 06:05 PM
Thanks Fubar2Nine!

Yeah, the immersion feeling is really boosted a lot.
Itīs a pit that the event camera and the sun halo have the above exposed problems. Like I said, perhaps one day we can find at least the solution for sun halo. :up:

Reece
01-24-09, 08:21 AM
Can anyone show a snapshot of the sunHalo problem please?:yep:

-SWCowboy.
01-25-09, 12:52 PM
If you need help with anything graphics wise I'd love to help out with any photoshopping necessary. :cool:

StarLion45
01-25-09, 02:07 PM
:D Ahoy all :D

Reece asked if anyone could take a screenshot of the sun halo in this widescreen mod . So I did exactly that , and get this annoying , irritating , thing that appeared on my screen:damn: Everytime , no matter what I do :nope:
I use the "new" res.fix with those two batch files .
And I use also " Screenhunter 5.0 Free " , but the " screen hunter 5.0 free "
not seem to work properly in Rubinis " Widescreen mod " .

Here it is . What is the problem :

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4758/screenshotef1.jpg

jimmie
01-25-09, 03:56 PM
This is great! I'm fiddling with the value now. :rock: :rock:

I'm not sure but isn't scope view stretched yet? (not 2D tga but the 3D world in the view inside of scope)

Reece
01-25-09, 06:50 PM
@ StarLion & Rubini, that sun is stuffed, has anyone tried changing the sun size settings in the scene.dat file, I have changed it (experimenting) in the past & had this effect happen, could be a clue, also changing the sunhalo tga size, alpha I think, had this effect, I still haven't got my widescreen yet, still waiting for delivery, so can't do much to help!!:yep:

Rubini
01-26-09, 06:53 AM
@ StarLion & Rubini, that sun is stuffed, has anyone tried changing the sun size settings in the scene.dat file, I have changed it (experimenting) in the past & had this effect happen, could be a clue, also changing the sunhalo tga size, alpha I think, had this effect, I still haven't got my widescreen yet, still waiting for delivery, so can't do much to help!!:yep:

In my computer, using WScreen mod, I only not have the sunhalo at the entire screen, but not this annoying square like StarLion. The sun is a correct ball with correct light and even the sun halo is present but only at the far left of the screen.

And yes, I already tried everything that I could imagine on scene.dat, cameras.dat, even tried to make a new sunhalo using particles controllers but no dice. So, or we have the correct WScreen aspect and will live with the sun halo only at the left border (in the event cameras it continues correct) or we drop the mod and continues only with the 4:3 aspect.
It's a **** anachronistic stock limitation from SH3. Why the sun halo don't render correctly when all , absolutelly all others things do it?:damn:

SWCowboy,
Thanks by the offer, will be very helpfull IF we carry the WScreen mod ahead. The sun halo, even not so intense problem like in the StarLion shoot, is present as I described above and its a downside anyway.:up:

Reece
01-26-09, 07:55 AM
Just another thought Rubini, is there any difference between 8 & 16k?:-? wonder what the SH4 Scene.dat shows? Wish I had the damned monitor for testing!!:yep:

Rubini
01-26-09, 08:05 AM
Hi Reece,

I didn't tested it on 16km. Can you or somebody do it?

The mod only modify the cameras, so I guess that it will work and have the same problems as the 8km which I tested.:hmm:

StarLion45
01-26-09, 10:51 AM
Hi there Rubini & Reece :D

As you all saw in my last screenshot , this problem always showing up when I finish taking screenshot , not in the game . But I have the sun halo problem :yep:
But i don't know how to get into those dat.files. :-?
How do I do that:o

Fubar2Niner
01-26-09, 01:24 PM
Rubini

This latest shot taken using 16km as you can see, still no sun halo :cry:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/fubar2niner/16k.jpg

I can wait tho shipmate, I'm sure one of you guys will figure a way round it :up:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Rubini
01-26-09, 02:02 PM
Thanks Fubar2nine,
Like I guessed it work the same in 8km/16km environment, WScreen ok, but no sun halo. Perhaps someone could find a solution...I really tried everything that I could thought until now without luck.:shifty:

Reece
01-26-09, 06:38 PM
Well now, I'd say that it was a fault on the ENV Skycolor files, may be able to adjust the Sky_atl1.tga, I'm no expert but what ever the difference is between the 8 & 16k Envskycolor files may hold the key.:yep:

Church SUBSIM
01-27-09, 01:34 AM
Thank you so much for working on this issue - I stopped playing SHIII (which is hard esp since GWX 3.0 is now out) because of this widescreen issue.

I have a Samsung 245BW 24" (16:10 @1900x1200, 60h).

I will test it out and get back to you.

Thanks again!

Rubini
01-27-09, 09:08 AM
Well now, I'd say that it was a fault on the ENV Skycolor files, may be able to adjust the Sky_atl1.tga, I'm no expert but what ever the difference is between the 8 & 16k Envskycolor files may hold the key.:yep:

No, we have no differences between 8km/16km. The mod works and have the same problems for both. And this is not a colour problem. To have WScreen work I modified the cameras.dat forcing the game to put all the cameras a bit to the right, all worked well but not the sunhalo. This is why the sun halo is still present at the far left of the screen.:hmm:

StarLion45
01-27-09, 06:48 PM
:D Hi Rubini & Reece :D

I was looking through the " Unofficial Screenshot Thread " , and get surprised:o
Jimbuna have the sun halo on his screenshot :yep: And he has a 22'' widescreen res.1920x1080 :p I copyed his screenshot

Look here :

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8781/screenshotie5.jpg

Reece
01-27-09, 07:10 PM
That image is not wide though, he was probably showing that fixed scaling works ok on a wide monitor, just a guess.:yep:
@ Rubini, I could see the sun disc but didnt notice the halo to the left (bright clouds) till I took a closer look!! certainly is wierd!:-?
ARE YOU READING THIS PRIVATEER!! Do you have any ideas?:D

Castout
01-28-09, 08:29 PM
Thanks Rubini for this widescreen fix. This should be stickied don't you all think so?

My only gripe is that this fix is not compatible with OLC GUI mod. The periscope view is somehow wrong. Could anyone make this fix to be compatible with OLC GUI mod please?:D

Fubar2Niner
02-04-09, 04:35 PM
@Rubini how goes it with this mod ? Is there any progression, beta showed great promise. :yep:

Best regards.

Fubar2niner

makman94
02-04-09, 06:10 PM
Thanks Rubini for this widescreen fix. This should be stickied don't you all think so?

My only gripe is that this fix is not compatible with OLC GUI mod. The periscope view is somehow wrong. Could anyone make this fix to be compatible with OLC GUI mod please?:D

hello,do you have s3d ? (and know how to use it? )

Reece
02-04-09, 07:42 PM
Anyone wanting S3D see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571

jimmie
02-04-09, 09:36 PM

I had same problem with NYGM + Hitman's new optics (by Rubini's explanation and checking out what was actually changed from stock, I modified cameras.dat by myself to see the effect). I only fiddled with a few hours trying to figure out the values relation in scope with but failed :cry: It wasn't simply offsetting some value so far as I checked out.

makman94
02-05-09, 05:09 AM
jimmie[/B]]Thanks Rubini for this widescreen fix. This should be stickied don't you all think so?

I had same problem with NYGM + Hitman's new optics (by Rubini's explanation and checking out what was actually changed from stock, I modified cameras.dat by myself to see the effect). I only fiddled with a few hours trying to figure out the values relation in scope with but failed :cry: It wasn't simply offsetting some value so far as I checked out.

jimmie and castout,

open rubini's camera.dat AND yours camera.dat (with s3d). replace ALL the rubini's values at
1. dummy cam uzo
2. dummy cam obs periscope
3. dummy cam periscope
4. dummy cam binocular

with the values that you get from yours camera.dat

it is working( i use olc gui 127) so take care..

bye

jimmie
02-05-09, 08:34 PM

jimmie and castout,

open rubini's camera.dat AND yours camera.dat (with s3d). replace ALL the rubini's values at
1. dummy cam uzo
2. dummy cam obs periscope
3. dummy cam periscope
4. dummy cam binocular

with the values that you get from yours camera.dat

it is working( i use olc gui 127) so take care..

bye

That's how I started in the first place. When I checked Rubini's cameras.dat for uzo, obs, attack peri except bino the value for "right" was not changed.. And if my memory serves, value for the bino didn't seemed to be a value calculated relative relation but just add 1 (which did look working but I had no way to measure if it was optimal aspect ratio).

The thing is, I tried to modify over Hitman's optics which tweaks FOV, and the magnification is also different, and this moves the center of stock scope view horizontally. It's not as simple as I first hoped to.

makman94
02-06-09, 05:42 AM
That's how I started in the first place. When I checked Rubini's cameras.dat for uzo, obs, attack peri except bino the value for "right" was not changed.. And if my memory serves, value for the bino didn't seemed to be a value calculated relative relation but just add 1 (which did look working but I had no way to measure if it was optimal aspect ratio).

The thing is, I tried to modify over Hitman's optics which tweaks FOV, and the magnification is also different, and this moves the center of stock scope view horizontally. It's not as simple as I first hoped to.

i am not sure i understand you but have you changed (at rubini's camera.dat) ALL the values of ,for example, attack peri or you changed only the viewport values ?

jimmie
02-06-09, 07:22 AM

i am not sure i understand you but have you changed (at rubini's camera.dat) ALL the values of ,for example, attack peri or you changed only the viewport values ?

I changed only "right" value for viewport... is there anything other than that?

makman94
02-06-09, 09:15 AM

yes,change all values at optical and cameraparams section for each one of obs,attack,uzo,bino

jimmie
02-06-09, 09:37 AM

yes,change all values at optical and cameraparams section for each one of obs,attack,uzo,bino

Thanks for the input! I'll have to check them out... only sadly my PC's half dead (leaking capacitors) since a couple days ago and I've got only mac here so it'll have to wait :damn:

Rubini
02-06-09, 09:55 AM
Hi mates,

The Wscreen mod uses the cameras.dat from GWX3.0 (standard 8km). The unique values that I changed are the Viewport Right from 1 to 1.4 and the bino settings what are a bit different (the same must be made to periscope and uzo in the future, it is a bit more complicated but doable).

I donīt know how WS mod will behaviour with OLC mods because I yet donīt tested this combi. But itīs simple to do, just adjust all the viewport right parameters as described above (except bino, uzo and periscope because could be more complicated). Then all 3d wiews must work normally. Just remember that this is just a pre beta that will need all the modifications described in the first post to becomes complete.

Also I didn't found any solution for the sun halo problem. I guess that if some expert guys on scene.dat or light issues (like OLC, Anvart and DivingDuck) look at it probably they will find an easy solution, then the mod really will becomes very useful.

Cheers!:up:

Rubini.

jimmie
02-06-09, 10:45 AM
Hi mates,

The Wscreen mod uses the cameras.dat from GWX3.0 (standard 8km). The unique values that I changed are the Viewport Right from 1 to 1.4 and the bino settings what are a bit different (the same must be made to periscope and uzo in the future, it is a bit more complicated but doable).

I donīt know how WS mod will behaviour with OLC mods because I yet donīt tested this combi. But itīs simple to do, just adjust all the viewport right parameters as described above (except bino, uzo and periscope because could be more complicated). Then all 3d wiews must work normally. Just remember that this is just a pre beta that will need all the modifications described in the first post to becomes complete.

Also I didn't found any solution for the sun halo problem. I guess that if some expert guys on scene.dat or light issues (like OLC, Anvart and DivingDuck) look at it probably they will find an easy solution, then the mod really will becomes very useful.

Cheers!:up:

Rubini.

So you didn't yet change the setting for scopes, right? I haven't tested with your original with GWX3.0 so I cannot be sure but I guess view in the scopes may still be stretched if you keep them not changed.. This may not quickly obvious since the view area in the scope is less than half of other screen and there's magnification and FOV involved as well.

Seeing what you did for bino, I first thought it might be relatively simple for scopes; just offsetting the center of the camera (screen center is no longer the center of view port) but it looks like it's not that simple. I painted cross hair in periscope tga so I could easily see how the scope center (in the camera) gets offset from the view port.

Anyway, it's still really nice find :up: Thanks a lot for sharing the knowledge. I hope you (or someone) could find the math for the scopes (bino could be more "accurate," too) :DL

Rubini
02-06-09, 12:54 PM
jimmie,

Yeah, I didn't not touched the scopes (only the bino - IIRC) in this first pre beta. But i already adjusted the scopes to my own use and it's ok! So, like I said it's doable and also works well in correct aspect ratio.

So, these are not the problem, is just a matter of some work on them. IMHO, the problem is really with sunhalo. If we find a solution for it, them the WideScreen mode must deserves a great attention by the comunity and all the effort on it will be worthy.:up:

Wildhawke11
02-06-09, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the work you are putting in on this one
Danny

Castout
02-06-09, 09:53 PM
Awesome work. Now my crews are leaner and the ships including my boat have shrunk to its original looks :yeah:

Reece
02-06-09, 11:12 PM
Hmm, I have my HIRES mod cfg set to 1440x900 and is working ok since the whole wide screen is displayed and the cursor disappears at the bottom and right, I enabled your mod Rubini & file goes in it's correct spot but no change, 3D view is still stretched, rotating antenna is still oval shaped.:-?
A file compare shows that your Cameras.dat is the correct one. This is strange, I will try a different setting, 1680x1050, might try at 1024x768?:hmmm:
Edit: Ok I tried the above even removed the HIRES mod but no change, everything is stretched, what am I doing wrong?
Also I am running ATI Tray Tools, not running the CCC, don't know if this should effect it!:-?

Reece
02-07-09, 07:59 AM
I can definitely say that the HIRES mod works in all modes ok, Rubini's mod goes in ok to the proper place, I even tested now with GWX 2.1 Scene & Env files, but still no go, what else could cause the new Cameras.dat file not to work!!!!:wah:
Edit: I tried with a stock version of GWX 2.1 & even deleted the C:\Documents and Settings\Reece\My Documents\Sh3 folder but still no go!! Have set forced AA etc to Application controlled the removed ATI Tray Tools, rebooted, test fails, just tried with Stock 1.4b, failed!!

SH999
02-08-09, 04:30 AM
I'll be eagerly watching this thread, signing up.

Thanks,
SH999.

Reece
02-08-09, 07:31 PM
This is the only thing that happens, I even took your setting Rubini & changed my Cameras.dat and both do the same:
Without WS Mod:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Reecehk/WithoutWS.jpg
With WS Mod:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Reecehk/WithWS.jpg
It is like it just zooms in closer, makes things larger, panning around all views are larger, seems like the aspect ratio is changing within the game, the image size is the same for both (1440x900), does the same for all resolutions.:hmmm:

SH999
02-09-09, 01:20 AM
Ok, so for the 1.6 aspect the top and the bottom of the picture will be cut out. I've seen the same in IL-2, but with TrackIR it's not much of annoyance there.

SH999.

Rubini
02-09-09, 07:39 AM
Reece,

You are making something wrong. Do you saw others pics on this thread? The WS mod works correctly for all 3D views (except, for now, the UZO and periscope, but it's also adjustable).

Probably something to do with your monitor that could be enlarging the image (to fulfill the screen area) even if it are not at correct ws aspect ratio?

Reece
02-09-09, 08:24 AM
I can set the monitor to wide or Auto, in Auto if it is 1024x768 then that is what is shown with black borders, if I select wide (default) then all pictures are wide, I will quickly try auto with wide setting and WS mod, though I think I already done that.:yep:
Edit: There are only 2 settings that are not to do with color and gamma, (there are others but for analog only not digital mode), they are:
Auto Source - Auto or Manual (type of signal analog or digital)
Image Size - Auto or Wide (Auto will show 1024x768 as that with black borders on the side, Wide will force it to display wide)
Doesn't matter what I set these to (during game play), still only zooms in, I thought the Cameras.dat would just be a setting within the game environment, not system, this is frustrating, maybe I need to install the ATI CCC to get this going?

Reece
02-09-09, 11:13 PM
This is getting ridiculous!! :damn::wah: I have installed the CCC:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Reecehk/CCCSettings.jpg
I have tried all 3 settings enabled & disabled but still does not work!:oops::cry:
Could someone PLEASE HELP!:-?

Rubini
02-09-09, 11:57 PM
Donīt cry Reece!:DL

Your monitor is LCD widescreen?

1.If so, please letīs start not using the High Resolution mod. Run the game in full screen (the mod donīt work windowed), 1024x768 (stock).

If the mod is correctly installed you will see the screen in 4:3 (black bars at sides) but the image will be elonged in its high. If so, then just enlarge the image using your monitor properties itself. IF your monitor donīt allow you to do this, then exit the game, choose scaling image to full panel (I guess) on CCC and restart (yet at stock 1024x768). It must work.

2. If the above donīt work, then, using High resolution mod, set it to the same max WScreen resolution that you monitor allows. Uncheck all choices on CCC and just start the game. Must work too.:yep:

Reece
02-10-09, 12:23 AM
OK, step 1 I have removed the HiRes mod including running the uninstall bat file, run the game and this is the result with black bars on either side, (in-game snapshot don't show bars):
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Reecehk/Step11024x768.jpg
So far no go, monitor will stretch it but at this point not worth it, still zoomed in! Will carry on next steps.:yep:
OK, step 2 with Hires set to 1920x1200 (max) the CCC unticked the "Enable GPU Scaling" setting this is the result:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Reecehk/Step2Hireswide.jpg
Still zoomed in.:cry: I rebooted and tried a second time, no difference, I have ghosted the system so it don't matter what you want me to try, I can reghost after all this, if I had to guess I would say that the Cameras.dat is not functioning as it should within the game, why should it just zoom in, I have only got GWX 2.1, not 3, maybe it only works in 3?
I have tried all combos again but all the WS Mod does in all circumstances is zoom in, since running it in 1024x768 with the side bars means that it is running as stock on CRT, enabling the WS Mod just zooms in, the display & system settings have no effect, is there a cfg file within SH3 that should be altered?
What I think:
If the display is showing the 1024x768 with side bars isn't that all it supposed to do, I can't see how system settings can change what is displayed within the 1024x768, surely that is in the game?

Reece
02-10-09, 04:16 AM
@ Rubini, Skybird just suggested something that could be, I'm using DVI cable in digital mode, what are you using?:hmmm:

Fubar2Niner
02-10-09, 04:44 AM
@Reece

I'm using DVI here too and no probs, sorry shipmate . By the by, why aren't you running at your full screen res of 1920x1200 ? I see you use a syncmaster same as me my screen res is same as yours maxed ie. 1920x1200, and this works fine for me, see my earlier post with screenie.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Reece
02-10-09, 04:56 AM
Could you tell me what your CCC is set to and Monitor Image size please (Auto or Wide), I thought I was onto something that Digital has a fixed Hz Freq of 74khz but analog varies, I think!:-? I have been using 1680x1050 because it is better on my eyes (larger fonts & icons), but I have been using 1920x1200 for tests however didn't work!:cry:

Fubar2Niner
02-10-09, 05:15 AM
Sorry shipmate I'm an nvidia user so I'm not sure this will relate. In my nvidia control panel I have flat panel scaling set to allow my monitor to handle it (I think).I'm at work atm, but will check it out when I get home this evening and report back. Willing to post some screens (NCP) too if this might help :salute:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

SH999
02-10-09, 05:49 AM
Guys, pls correct me if I'm wrong. The game does not naitively support resolution higher than 1024x768. It means that even when you use the hirez tweak your field of view doesn't change on wide aspect monitors. Doesn't matter if you set the resolution at 1024x768 or 1440x900 you won't get a wider FOV (field of view) on the widescreen monitor that support 1440 or 1900 (or etc) pxl width. I guess what this widesreen tweak does is it kinda "zooms in" to fill up the full width of the wide screen (say 1440) but cuts out top and bottom of the picture. So it is only good for those who really don't like the flattened GFX or, in case of this tweak, the black areas (on the left and right) when playing on a wide screen monitor. Yes, you'll get the full width on the monitor (but the FOV width of what you can see will be same as on a 1024x768 screen as already mentioned) in exchange for the truncated GFX in the top and bottom of the native (1024x768) picture. So for 1440x900 resolution you'll get 1024*1.40625 x 768/1.40625 FOV. Meaning your vertical FOV (546.13 instead of original 768) will be less than on the original picture (4:3). Do I get this right?

Thanks.

Reece
02-10-09, 06:38 AM
No, this mod actually give you a wider screen covering more left and right the way wide screen (DVD's etc) work, problem is that I can't get it to work, mine is doing what you have said and just zooms in cutting top and bottom.:damn:
Could be an nvidia thing, maybe Rubini has an nvidia card.:-?
I'm at work atm, but will check it out when I get home this evening and report back. Willing to post some screens (NCP) too if this might help :salute:
Any help you can offer Fubar2Niner I'd appreciate it.

Rubini
02-10-09, 06:52 AM
Yes, I have a nvidia card (GT 8800 512).

But I don't think that this is card related. Your firts pic at stock 1024x768, when using the WS mod, the image must be elongate in it's high (with black bars at sides). In your pic it's normal, not elongate. So, will not fit in correct WS. IF the mod was applyed correcty this must be not happen (viewport right from 1,0 to 1,4 deforms the image).:hmmm:

coronas
02-10-09, 07:07 AM
@Reece: Has you tried to put the same resolution in the game and the desktop? Also try refresh rate to 60 Hz., no Vertical Sinc. And finishing, ATi Tray Tool is better than CCC.
I hope this can help.

Fincuan
02-10-09, 07:21 AM
@Reece: Has you tried to put the same resolution in the game and the desktop? Also try refresh rate to 60 Hz., no Vertical Sinc. And finishing, ATi Tray Tool is better than CCC.

Yep, can't stress that enough. I believe the resfix doesn't even work if you don't have the same desktop and ingame resolution: For most it simply crashes when the game is started, for others it might do other weird things.

SH999
02-10-09, 07:27 AM
No, this mod actually give you a wider screen covering more left and right the way wide screen (DVD's etc) work

Your last screen is EXACTLY what I wrote there. This mod does seem to give a wider screen, but leaves the original horizontal FOV exactly the SAME. So you won't see any 'wider' IN the game on a widescreen, than on the original 1024x768 screen. And your last screenshot proves it very well (look at the gauges). The cost - is that you don't see some top and the bottom you would see on the original 1024x768 screen. I'm confident now that it is exactly the case. Same you have in IL-2 if playing on a newer widescreen. You can get the full screen, but you don't get the FOV any wider. Limitation of the game engine.

Reece
02-10-09, 08:19 AM
Your firts pic at stock 1024x768, when using the WS mod, the image must be elongate in it's high (with black bars at sides). In your pic it's normal, not elongate.It was elongated with bars to the left and right but the ingame snapshot that I posted (Ctrl-F11) doesn't show the bars, I could show you but only if I get a camera shot.:DL
@ Coronas & Fincuan, I had ATT only before but couldn't get anything to work, that is why I installed the CCC, I will both game and desktop set to same res, vert is already set to 60hz, and vertical sync was off with ATT, have now set off in CCC, not sure what settings I should have as shown in post #92, may have to go through them all again!!:dead:

SH999
02-10-09, 08:30 AM
Your firts pic at stock 1024x768, when using the WS mod, the image must be elongate in it's high (with black bars at sides). In your pic it's normal, not elongate.It was elongated with bars to the left and right but the ingame snapshot that I posted (Ctrl-F11) doesn't show the bars, I could show you but only if I get a camera shot.:DL

Sorry to drag it on. I get you now. The point I was making is that if you look at your 'full' screenshot that you posted last it shows the expected aspect of 1.6, that to some reason you don't see on your monitor. But even then if you look at what you can see in the left/right sides of your full screenshot is the same what you would see on the sides of the normal 4:3 picture, same FOV wide-wise. For example in FSX your field of view grows wide-wise if you increase resolution for your wide screen, unlike in SHIII or IL-2. And yes, I got you, your question was different.

SHIII.

PS: Unfortunately I can't see why I would want to have the same but kinda 'zoomed-in' FOV wide-wise using this tweak but truncated top and bottom compared to the original game. If I could really see 'wider' in the game indeed using this tweak on my wider monitor, I would put up with the trancated top and bottom parts.
But these are just my thoughts, I hope someone will convince me of the opposite.

Thanks.

Reece
02-10-09, 08:50 AM
@ SH999, see Rubini's first page to see what it is supposed to look like.
@ Coronas, Fincuan & Rubini, Ok Tried with Vsync off, monitor set to 60hz, and game/desktop same resolution (1680x1050), I tried 6 times with all possible combinations of the CCC settings shown in Post #92, but still only zooms in in all settings.:damn: Starting to think it's an nvidia only thing!:cry: or it's just prejudice against my system,:hmmm: yeh that's it, can I cry now Rubini?:wah:

SH999
02-10-09, 08:55 AM
@ SH999, see Rubini's first page to see what it is supposed to look like.

Thanks, that's it. It is exactly what I was saying, fixed FOV (1024), no magic unfortunately. The big job is just to change all the flatten 2D rounds.

Reece
02-10-09, 09:00 AM
@ SH999, Yep, now do you have an ATI card and wide LCD, if so please see if you can get it to work, it's JSGME ready so easy to put in and out!:up:

SH999
02-10-09, 10:08 AM
Reece, fortunately or unfortunately I'm a long-time nVidia user. I've just noticed that ATI contorl panel in that shot is missing one setting that is available in nVidia's cp, it is USE MONTOR's scaling capabilities (or smth like that in English). Generally it may be helpful if your OS recognizes your monitor (vs. standard monitor) or you install a specific driver for your monitor. Sorry, can not helpful here more than this.

SH999.

Fubar2Niner
02-10-09, 02:16 PM
@Reece

Ok this is what I meant by monitor controlled flat panel scaling in NCP.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/fubar2niner/NvidiaControlPanel.jpg
Now I'm not sure if you have it in CCC but it may be worth flicking thru the tabs to see if you have the option. This is a ridiculous question, but I'm guessing your using the latest drivers, tho I don't think this is driver related. If I can help any other way ....... just holla :yep: . On a side note do you have a crossfire system? When I ran SH3 in SLI mode the problems far outweighed the benefits. Best of luck.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Reece
02-10-09, 06:59 PM
Yes Furbar2Niner, the latest drivers, you said the same thing as SH999 said (USE MONITOR'S scaling)!!:hmmm: probably the same applies with Rubini, and since you have the same LCD monitor we can rule that out, it looks like this mod will only work with nvidia cards, or more to the point, software.:-?
CAN ANYONE WITH AN ATI CARD PLEASE TEST THIS MOD? Thanks.:yep:

nikbear
02-11-09, 02:06 AM
Reece,I have an Ati 1950 512mb AGP card,can I apply this mod mid patrol?If so I will give it ago 2night after work and report back:salute:

Reece
02-11-09, 02:25 AM
It should work mid patrol, though you could just try it in the Naval academy missions, a lot quicker to load, then exit and disable.:DL

mbabbs
02-15-09, 10:27 AM
I have an ATI card and I have the problems described. In addition to the image being 'zoomed' in as shown I have noticed that selecting the Uzo on the bridge requires me to click to the left of it and if looking through any scope an odd bar appears at the top and bottom.

Reece
02-15-09, 07:52 PM
Yes I have come to the conclusion that it won't work with ATI cards, though I'm not convinced that it is a scaling problem.:hmmm:
Edit: requires me to click to the left of itI have found that this may be caused by having the HiRes Mod set too high, I use 1280x768 & don't get the mouse disappearing at the bottom of the screen & also in the periscope view clicking the view to pan around I don't get the "Periscope Height" label popping up!!

pino69
02-24-09, 12:52 PM
This mod is a good one and I wait for it for long time.
But the real problem with stretched high resolution is in the 2D map screens, specifically in the navMap and CombatMap views which are strongly distorted and can't be used for target tracking an firing solution calculations.
So IMHO, working on the map views is the priority.
Keep up the good work and thank you.

TheDarkWraith
02-24-09, 03:19 PM
I have an idea, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Looking in the CameraBehavior.ACT file I find:

Viewport....Normalized viewport coordinates.Left....Right...Top.Bottom...K..P..... ...........2..&... ........\CameraParams.cpp

What if you scaled the viewport coordinates to reflect the widescreen aspect ratio? Like decrease the height and leave the width alone?

Rubini
02-26-09, 05:45 PM
I have an idea, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Looking in the CameraBehavior.ACT file I find:

Viewport....Normalized viewport coordinates.Left....Right...Top.Bottom...K..P..... ...........2..&... ........\CameraParams.cpp

What if you scaled the viewport coordinates to reflect the widescreen aspect ratio? Like decrease the height and leave the width alone?

Hi Racerboy,

Thanks to look at this. I really donīt know how to change things on .act file (i thought that it was only a "described/help" type of file). I changed the viewport Right entry directly on the cameras.dat file.
The main problem on this mod continues to be the sun halo which is only partialy visible on the screen (but not totally absent).

Anvart help me with some ideas but I donīt had success. Iīm sure that a simple fix will be found for this issue. Can you look at it more deeply?:hmm2:

Cheers,

Rubini.

TheDarkWraith
02-26-09, 06:14 PM
Thanks to look at this. I really donīt know how to change things on .act file (i thought that it was only a "described/help" type of file). I changed the viewport Right entry directly on the cameras.dat file.
The main problem on this mod continues to be the sun halo which is only partialy visible on the screen (but not totally absent).

not talking changing .ACT file, talking about changing the viewport coordinates in the cameras.dat file. Decrease the viewport height in the cameras.dat file thus scaling for widescreen (effectively changing the aspect ratio for the widescreen). Just something that came to mind. I have a 30" LCD widescreen so a fix for this would be great!

Rubini
02-26-09, 07:11 PM

not talking changing .ACT file, talking about changing the viewport coordinates in the cameras.dat file. Decrease the viewport height in the cameras.dat file thus scaling for widescreen (effectively changing the aspect ratio for the widescreen). Just something that came to mind. I have a 30" LCD widescreen so a fix for this would be great!

Ok, now I understood.:up: IIRC I already tried this approach without success, but as you know ... sometimes we found a little thing that we didnīt noticed before when modding. I will try it again and will post the result here. Anyway, if you have any idea/insight on the sun halo issue will be great too!

Reece
02-26-09, 07:22 PM
Hi Rubini, also it seems that this will not work with ATI cards, a few have tested it now & none can get it to go, I would do testing & experimenting with sun halo etc if I could just get it to work,:doh: lets hope RB is on to something.:yep:

Rubini
02-26-09, 08:15 PM
Hi Rubini, also it seems that this will not work with ATI cards, a few have tested it now & none can get it to go, I would do testing & experimenting with sun halo etc if I could just get it to work,:doh: lets hope RB is on to something.:yep:

This is very unusual, as the modification is over a game file settings (cameras.dat) nothing more. It must work for any card...:hmmm:

CapZap1970
02-26-09, 09:36 PM
Looking very good, my friend!!! :up:
Cheers!
CapZap

Reece
02-27-09, 02:38 AM
It must work for any card...:hmmm:But it doesn't, tried with stock GWX 2.1 & Stock SH3 1.04b, downloaded your mod twice! even looked in your Cameras.dat file to see that a lot of entries with CameraParams\Viewport\Right settings had changed from 1.0 to 1.4, just doesn't work.:-?:cry:

rascal101
02-27-09, 03:03 AM
Works fine with my NVIDIA GeForce9800Gt, though its weird how long it actually takes to get used to the difference after playing in strech view for so long - I accidently uninstalled the mod and then went to play, when I got topside I thought I was on drugs - to think I used to think that was normal

Incidently I took the plunge with the res fix - now I'm trundling around the Atlantic in 1680 x 1050 and I'm having FUN!

For the record, I still havnt seen a mod that deals with smoke - always seems to look like different grades of cotton wool - not a complaint mind you, buggered if I know how to fix that stuff -

I also tried fiddling with object reflections, but couldnt get any where. Always bugged me how subs and ships sailing around on the ocean blue always look so dam dry, wet things gleasten and gleam for christ sake - where the gloss of wetness? he asked without wishing to sound like a cheap porno star

Any way thats my thoughts for the day

R

Reece
02-27-09, 03:15 AM
Works fine with my NVIDIA Yep that's right, everyone who has tried with an ATI card has found the mod doesn't work!!:oops:

gabeeg
03-04-09, 05:29 PM
too bad, I hope a fix is found for the ATI issue I have a Radeon x1400 in my Dell laptop and was hoping to get rid of the black borders on either side of my SH3 full screen :(

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help test potential fixes.

sik1977
03-05-09, 10:23 AM
I'd like to confirm that the Mod doesn't seem to work on my ATI 4870 either.

sik1977
03-05-09, 10:33 AM
Hi Reece,

Sorry to not reply this question before. I guess that was the rush to finish the mod and my real life...:D

Yes, I know what you mean...and AFAIK it continues there on highresolution mod and then also in WS mod if you use it with HR mod...I frequently play the game in stock 1024x768 because in my system the HR mod donīt allow me to alt tab what is essential to make/test mods. Also, frequently, when making mods I play windowed...then I donīt notice this bug from ages!:up:

@ Rubini & Reece

I have a 1920x1080 screen but I have to run the game on 1680x1050 due to the mouse cursor disappearing after free camera movement and appearing in the lower-right corner of the screen. When playing in 1920x1080 res, the cursor reappears over the red torpedo fire button in periscope & UZO mode thus launching the torpedo (I use GWX1.03 standard periscope/UZO GUI). At 1680x1050 the cursor appears slightly above the lock black button so its ok. But I would like to use the 1920x1080 res.

Is there any fix for this cursor displacing to the lower right, more and more as you increase widescreen resolution.

R3D
03-06-09, 04:43 AM
almost had hope i could play sh3 again, but like others its not working on my ATI card (x1900xtx) :wah:

Captain von Keldunk
03-07-09, 04:47 AM
I play GWX3 with WAC enviroment. and I am using,
"VistaAtiGraphicFix/SB_cameras/Wide Screen " modded in one cameras dat.
and works ok for me:yep::D:D:D:yawn::yawn:.

CapZap1970
03-09-09, 08:26 PM
Kaleuns:
Today I joined the comunity of widescreen monitor users, and I must say that this mod is really good!! :rock:
As explained in the readme file, all 3D views look normal and 2D views stretched. However, when I take a screenshot with Ctrl+F11, the screenshot still comes out in 1024x786 (or 1024x768, can't remember which one is the right one) format and all stretches disappear.
1.- What should I do in order to take the screenie in wide format?
2.- I really hope Rubini and all the Masters involved in the development of this mod are making progress since I can hardly wait to play SH3 in full widescreen format without the distortions.

Anyway, I want to congratulate all of you guys for the splendid work done.! :up: :salute:
CapZap

Reece
03-09-09, 08:50 PM
Use the Hi-Res mod and set the cfg for say 1440x900 and give that a go! Oh and then just use the PrtScr key for snapshots.:yep:

CapZap1970
03-09-09, 09:41 PM
Use the Hi-Res mod and set the cfg for say 1440x900 and give that a go! Oh and then just use the PrtScr key for snapshots.:yep:
Reece:
1st, thanks a lot for the advice, however, I still have a couple of questions about this:
My monitor is set to 1920x1080 (16:9 ratio), or do you mean the cfg file?
If I use the PrtScr key, where will the snapshot be saved to? :hmmm:
I just made a try but nothing happens here... or at least it seems that way...
BtW, I have the mod enabled.
Thanks a lot for your help, brother! :up:
CapZap

Reece
03-09-09, 11:50 PM
The screenshots are saved to the main SilentHunterIII folder.
My monitor is set to 1920x1080 (16:9 ratio), or do you mean the cfg file? The Hi-Res mod will set the game to the X & Y resolution regardless of the desktop settings, if this is not happening & the Hi-Res mod is installed properly then it is likely to be the video card driver settings, see page 5 post#92, these are for ATI cards, can't help with nVidia, make sure the "Enable GPU Scaling" is checked.
The cfg file should also work with your settings as below, as long as they are a valid screen resolution, can't make one up!!:03:
;
; DX9res Settings
; by Kegetys <kegetys@dnainternet.net>
;
; Note that this config is reloaded on device reset, so you can task switch out
; of the game, change settings from this file and then return
;

[config]
; ResX: Horizontal resolution setting
; ResY: Vertical resolution setting
; useFiltering: Use linear filtering for UI elements
; enableScreenshots: Hook printscreen keypress to save TGA screenshot
resX=1920
resY=1080
useFiltering=1
enableScreenshots=1
screenshotPath=.

[gamma]
; setGamma: Override gamma ramp
; gammaRed: Red channel gamma (1.0 = normal, decrease to add brightess, increase to darken)
; gammaGreen: Green channel gamma (1.0 = normal, decrease to add brightess, increase to darken)
; gammaBlue: Blue channel gamma (1.0 = normal, decrease to add brightess, increase to darken)
setGamma=0
gammaRed=1.0
gammaGreen=1.0
gammaBlue=1.0 Hope this helps.:yep:

Since your new to LCD & Widescreens you may want to check these threads out:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148546
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148634
http://www.driverheaven.net/windows-xp-2k-radeon-display-drivers/177839-use-my-displays-built-scaling-ati.html

CapZap1970
03-10-09, 12:57 AM
Reece:
Thanks a lot for your info. Now, 2 more questions and I am done here:
1.- Where can I find the Hi res Mod?
2.- Once you run the mod, where is the CFG file located?
CapZap

Reece
03-10-09, 01:13 AM
Ok here is a link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=45a0168f7e9f94a08d78a0e555291609e04e75f6 e8ebb871
Hope it's ok, very important to view documentation.:yep:
All files end up in the SilentHunterIII folder.

CapZap1970
03-10-09, 02:06 AM
Working like a charm!!!!:yeah:
Sorry for all the inconviniences... :oops:
CapZap

CapZap1970
03-11-09, 01:30 PM
Thanks to Rubini's mod and Reece's advices, I finally got it working things as they should!! :rock:
My first experiences with this mod and my 22" widescreen:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t1/capzap1970/screenshots/shot1236748865.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t1/capzap1970/screenshots/shot1236748999.jpg

Tonight I will try the 16Km GWX 3.0 mod...
CapZap

Reece
03-11-09, 06:32 PM
@ CapZap1970, just out of curiosity, what video card do you have, nVidia or ATI?:)

CapZap1970
03-12-09, 12:15 AM
@ CapZap1970, just out of curiosity, what video card do you have, nVidia or ATI?:)
NVidia 9400GT, brother. :yep:
CapZap

CapZap1970
03-13-09, 01:04 PM
@Rubini:
I was just wondering if there are some news about this excellent mod... :hmmm:
CapZap

Rubini
03-15-09, 06:45 PM
@Rubini:
I was just wondering if there are some news about this excellent mod... :hmmm:
CapZap

No news my friend. The mod is as it is. The problem with the sun halo was never solved (at least by me) and nobody push the necessary adjust on tgas ahead.

Also seems that it not work on ATi cards (but I never tested this in truth, I have only a nvdia card).

Cheers,

Rubini.

CapZap1970
03-15-09, 06:50 PM
Rubini:
If you tell me what you need to be done with the TGA's, I might be able to help you. I would gladly do it. As for the sun halo, I don't know what to do.
It would also be nice that with all the great talents here this mod could be improved. :yep:
CapZap

Rubini
03-15-09, 07:07 PM
Rubini:
If you tell me what you need to be done with the TGA's, I might be able to help you. I would gladly do it. As for the sun halo, I don't know what to do.
CapZap

If you really want to pull (or push? my poor english) it ahead I can return to it and we can work together (or with the help from someone more that also want it).
But donīt forget that a good amount of work is also needed on the menu_1024 file.
Do you know it well?

The Sun Halo is the most drawback for me, even that it work in some screen positions (its not totally absent).

jmr
03-20-09, 02:30 PM
I'm running an 880GT and unfortunately I'm getting a squished screen with a zoomed in effect :{

TheDarkWraith
03-26-09, 10:43 PM
I was asked if I could look into this. I'm testing a different method, the grey area of hacking an exe file. So I tried it just for sh*ts and grins and the game will accept any resolution it's 'told' to use - I chose 1680 X 1050 just to see if it would work. It currently works on the into screens but program aborts when it tries to get to main loading screen (I'm pretty sure it's because I haven't 'told' it to use the new screen resolution of 1680 X 1050 in that part of the exe file). But anyways here's proof that you can hack the exe file and make it do whatever you want it to do (I'll apologize for the LARGE image but I want to show that the game is running in windowed mode @ 1680 X 1050. No high res mod enabled either, this is strictly a hacked exe file doing what it's told to do - see red arrow in top left to verify screen resolution):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/widescreen-hack.jpg
I'll tell the next part of the exe file to use the new screen resolution I specified and see what happens next. It should work.

EDIT: didn't work. Abortion is caused by Access Violation when writing to BAADF0ED. Ok, this one's going to be tough. Anyone feel like helping out? Stuff like this takes time to figure out. This abort happens right after the red bar gets completely full on the main splash screen (the Silent Hunter III splash screen after into and movie).

TheDarkWraith
03-27-09, 11:27 AM
Access violation problem fixed. Now I just have to tell DirectX to use the new video resolution. I have it so that your current desktop screen resolution is what it uses for the game. You'll notice lots of black areas around the game screen in the below screenie and that's because DirectX isn't being told to use the desktop screen resolution - it's using the fixed 1024 X 768 that the devs TRIED to lock it to :haha: Below is a desktop screen resolution of 1600 X 900:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/widescreen2copy.jpg
software is wonderful, you can make it do anything you want :yeah: Hardware, that can be tricky....

CapZap1970
03-27-09, 12:05 PM
That's fantastic, RB :yeah::rock:
CapZap

Meridian
03-27-09, 12:49 PM
Nice work RB, Hope you manage to get a fully working version of this released, I'd definitely use it.

Thanks for putting in the time to do this.

:yeah:

TheDarkWraith
03-27-09, 01:01 PM
well tried telling DirectX to use the desktop resolution and got the access violation again. They use some convoluted, self modifying and appears to be some stack executing code throughout this whole program. It'll give you a headache in no time :x
But since we have the res fix mod which effectively does what I'm needing done I tried it and it works!! Now I don't see anything stretching or squashed images but maybe I'm not familiar with what I should be looking for. Here's some screenshots with my fix with the res fix mod (both of which are set to 1600 X 900 resolution) set to windowed mode. Everything appears normal to me (I have an nVidia card also if that matters):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ws1.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ws2.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ws3.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ws4.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/ws5.jpg

so what am I missing here? If someone using an ATI card and is familiar with the problems of the widescreen mod would like to test this PM me.
I'm going to try this in fullscreen mode and take some snapshots of it now. I have a 30" LCD widescreen monitor and with screen resolution set to 1600 X 900 I would think I would see some 'problems' like has been mentioned but I don't see anything.

ok,fullscreen shots:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/wsfs1.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/wsfs2.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/wsfs3.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/wsfs4.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/tazmaniandevilrider/wsfs5.jpg

EDIT: did a little experiment just to ensure the res fix mod wasn't masking anything. I kept my desktop screen resolution to 1600 X 900 but told the res fix mod's cfg file that the resolution was 800 X 600. Result: I was unable to move the mouse cursor any farther than 800 X 600 pixels on screen and everything still appeared normal. So my 'fix' does work and it needs to work in conjunction with the res fix mod to work correctly.

TheDarkWraith
03-27-09, 01:40 PM
ok did some more testing to see what exactly I accomplished. Results:

- my fix removed, res fix mod disabled, windowed mode - result: windowed game @ 1024 X 768
- my fix removed, res fix mod enabled @ 1600 X 900, windowed mode - result: windowed game @ 1024 X 768
- my fix removed, res fix mod disabled, fullscreen mode - result: fullscreen game in 1024 X 768. I can't see evidence of any problems in appearance.
- my fix removed, res fix mod enabled @ 1600 X 900, fullscreen mode - result: fullscreen game in 1600 X 900 resolution. I can't see evidence of any problems in appearance.

By enabling my fix all it does (from what I can see) is enable you to play windowed mode in any screen resolution you wish. Since it needs the res fix mod to work correctly you have crisp graphics from the higher screen resolutions in windowed mode.

Fincuan
03-27-09, 01:56 PM
Nice work :yeah:

But: Those screenies of yours, they look stretched to me. Circles as ovals and fat-ass crewmembers with shoulders wider than Schwarzenegger's are a clear indication of that.

If you want further variables for the tests try a program called D3DWindower. It allows you to run quite a few "locked" DX games, such as SH3 and Navy Field, in custom-sized windows.

TheDarkWraith
03-27-09, 02:07 PM
honestly I don't see any circles as ovals. I guess I just don't know what I'm looking for or are so used to the way I've been seeing it for so long that I'm oblivious to the obvious.

rcjonessnp175
03-27-09, 05:00 PM
Hey Racerboy, must say great job brother, im currently using the widescreen fix for my 52 inch sammy at 1920 x 1080 all works well for me, if u get this latest addition going wow even better but great work:salute::salute:

Jonesy

TheDarkWraith
03-27-09, 05:07 PM
Hey Racerboy, must say great job brother, im currently using the widescreen fix for my 52 inch sammy at 1920 x 1080 all works well for me, if u get this latest addition going wow even better but great work:salute::salute:

Jonesy

First of all I'm trying to help the authors of this mod out since they asked me so I'm just looking at other ways to implement/add/modify to their idea. Currently I'm not so sure that the path I have chosen really does anything useful other than allowing you to run windowed in any screen resolution you want (which is cool in it's own way). There's more work and investigating to do so you never know what can happen/come about.

rcjonessnp175
03-27-09, 05:28 PM
Would any of the nvidia control panel settings contribute, like all the different Scaling options, probaly not since like u said dealing with fooling or telling directx to do something. :damn:

Rubini
03-28-09, 11:36 PM
Hi RB,

Thanks again to look at this.:up:

At first, your pics seems really stretched, not in real WS aspect (16/10 or 16/9). They are just elonged in its horizontal axis, so the circles are ovaled. But the possibily to have any resolution when playing the game windowed is already also a step ahead.:yep:

To we have a real WS aspect we can use two approachs: the first and the better is the one that just add more image in the horizontal axis without streeching anything, also called hor +, used in some modern games - this way we will not have any problem with menus, dials, etc - they probably will be already in their normal aspect even the game running at a real WS aspect.

The second way, used also by a lot of modern games, is to just make the image minor in itīs vertical axis, also called vert - , but a reposition of the menus and dials will be needed here.

The original WS mod on the first post makes a mix approach, but have the sunhalo problem. If we canīt fix the sun halo problem then I have hope that the second way (vert -) could be done messing with Directx codes/access from the game. Something in the line that you are looking at.

Cdr84
04-03-09, 08:53 PM
I have been waiting for this for so long.

I have donated for the GWX 3.0 dl link and can now play the game again.

Is anymore work going to be done?

It would be such a pity if it were left so close to being what it could be.

If only I had the skills...

Thanks much Rubini.

Cdr

DrCR
08-20-09, 11:40 PM
Is this the latest version? Just checking.

Enjoyed SH2 way back in the day, and now planning on trying SH3 at long last. Pulling down GWX Gold currently and now looking at this. Any other must-haves?

Thanks,
DrCR

Quote from the OP.
January, 21 2009
Mod by Rubini.

Links:

Reece
08-21-09, 01:32 AM
This mod works with nvidia cards only though:cry:.
Welcome to Subsim.

ivanDurak
08-21-09, 04:55 AM
What about ATI cards?

Reece
08-21-09, 06:49 AM
ATI cards do not work!:doh:

difool2
08-21-09, 11:32 AM
System specs:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
GeForce 9800 GT
4 gigs RAM
Monitor 1680 x 1050

While the gauges are squashed horizontally (which I know the mod doesn't fix yet), I get the opposite problem with the outside 3D world-there images are squeezed vertically-the sun and moon are ovals, with a vertical major axis-likewise my crew are all skinnier than normal. I am currently driving a type XXI, for what that's worth. I ran the res fix first (confirmed that I set the resolution to the above values in the "d3d9" file before running the res fix, and then I installed this mod). Did I do something wrong?

DrCR
08-21-09, 01:09 PM
While the gauges are squashed horizontally (which I know the mod doesn't fix yet)
Is this project still being worked on to fix this issue? Just checking. Thanks

Desga
08-21-09, 02:45 PM
People finally I have changed my computer and now I have NVIDIA CARD .I installed this mod and now I can see like here (the 2 sscreenshoot have resolution 1680x1050) and in the file CFG iI have resolution is 1680x1050 do you think that this mod is working now ?please tell me so I can know if I have maked some error!
Thank Desga
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8379/shot1250876528.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/i/shot1250876528.jpg/)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6231/shot1250876563.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/shot1250876563.jpg/)

Rubini
08-21-09, 03:03 PM
Hi mates,

Some anwsers:
1. Yes, I'm not more working on this mod since a long ago, it's a dead project for now. The Sun halo problem, even if a marginal problem, was never fixed. Also the necessary dials and menu 1024 fix never were adjusted (a team is need to do this work)
2. I can't confirm if it work or not on an ATI card just because I don't have one. But some guys here attested that it not work on their ATI cards. But is easy to notice that some guys, even with a nvidia card, have some difficult in make it work too. So, perhaps it's a user end problem about ATI? I really don't know...
3. In the first post and in the readme I wrote a concise walktrough on how to make it work (on nvidia at least). Just set your game to any resolution (even using highres mod) and adjust your monitor to WS mode (not 4:3). Note that the mod generates a streched vertical image (the 3d objects, ships, uboats, crew, etc are in truth elongate vertically by the mod, then when you put this 4:3 vertically elongate image on a physical WS monitor you will have finally a correct proportion on the final image. Hopes that you understand (my limited english...). So, it must work in any WS monitor (with nvidia at least as exposed above). Compare your result with the uboat interior pics that are in the firts post. Also notice that the dials will be horizontally elongate as exposed since the beginning of this mod, only the 3D "world" is fixed by the mod.

Cheers!

Rubini.

Rubini
08-21-09, 03:05 PM
@Desga,

Your images seems streched to me. So, the mod isn't well activate on your end. Compare them with the ones on the firts post.

difool2
08-21-09, 03:47 PM
Rubini

This latest shot taken using 16km as you can see, still no sun halo :cry:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll293/fubar2niner/16k.jpg

I can wait tho shipmate, I'm sure one of you guys will figure a way round it :up:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

That's the same shape my sun (and moon) has. It may be that 16:10 may need a separate fix from 16:9...

Desga
08-22-09, 04:34 PM
Thank Rubini after your conclusion I have controlled and I have found the error now I thin that all is ok
prima

before

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8379/shot1250876528.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/i/shot1250876528.jpg/)

after

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5478/shot1250973903.jpg (http://img44.imageshack.us/i/shot1250973903.jpg/)
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5328/shot1250974073.jpg (http://img44.imageshack.us/i/shot1250974073.jpg/)

before

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6231/shot1250876563.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/shot1250876563.jpg/)

after

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5056/shot1250975068.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/shot1250975068.jpg/)

some other photoes wide screen resolution 1680 x b1050

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3849/shot1250974098.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/shot1250974098.jpg/)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/562/shot1250974115.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/shot1250974115.jpg/)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2909/shot1250974103.jpg (http://img195.imageshack.us/i/shot1250974103.jpg/)

Rubini I MUST SAY thank you very much!!:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Rubini
08-22-09, 06:01 PM
Hi Desga,

Good that you have done it. :up:
I noticed that your resolution is 1680x1050, WS aspect at 16/10. As you can read on the first post, the mod was made for 16/9, that "magic" parameter at 1.4. You can use it at 1.35 and the final result will be yet better for your 16/10 monitor. Just open your cameras.dat and adjust all viewport section Right parameter from 1.4 (this mod) to 1.35. Also the sun halo problem will be a bit minor (the major this parameter, more sunhalo absence you will have).:cool:
Anyway, this is just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Rubini.

DeadlyWolf
08-23-09, 02:31 PM
:cry:

It's a pity this project has been abandoned. For the type of game itself, having a WS (16:10 or 16:9) resolution would add really much to the visual impact.
And I mean by using the "hor +" technique, like Rubini explained.

To we have a real WS aspect we can use two approachs: the first and the better is the one that just add more image in the horizontal axis without streeching anything, also called hor +, used in some modern games - this way we will not have any problem with menus, dials, etc - they probably will be already in their normal aspect even the game running at a real WS aspect.
I bet there would be plenty of people really happy to see something like this.
If there's some hope please let us know in this thread.:)

Capt.Warner
08-23-09, 03:28 PM
Yay Been waiting for something like this:woot::D

DeadlyWolf
08-23-09, 06:27 PM
Hi Desga,

Good that you have done it. :up:
I noticed that your resolution is 1680x1050, WS aspect at 16/10. As you can read on the first post, the mod was made for 16/9, that "magic" parameter at 1.4. You can use it at 1.35 and the final result will be yet better for your 16/10 monitor. Just open your cameras.dat and adjust all viewport section Right parameter from 1.4 (this mod) to 1.35. Also the sun halo problem will be a bit minor (the major this parameter, more sunhalo absence you will have).:cool:
Anyway, this is just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Rubini.
Sorry for my noobness, but how can I edit the .dat file?
Silent 3ditor or something else?:oops:

Rubini
08-23-09, 08:59 PM
Sorry for my noobness, but how can I edit the .dat file?
Silent 3ditor or something else?:oops:

Yes, use S3D, it's a simple and easy way.;)

DeadlyWolf
08-24-09, 08:28 AM
Yes, use S3D, it's a simple and easy way.;)
Ok, thx. After a while I finally found the "hidden" parameters :DL
By setting them at 1.35, will the binocular parameters you fixed be correct?

And to summarize what is actually wrong with the actual mod:

- The sun halo problem.
- Event camera stretched.
- All 2d objects stretched (maps, papers, ui, etc..)
- Uzo and periscope views stretched.

Is it correct? :)

Rubini
08-24-09, 09:20 AM
Ok, thx. After a while I finally found the "hidden" parameters :DL
By setting them at 1.35, will the binocular parameters you fixed be correct?

And to summarize what is actually wrong with the actual mod:

- The sun halo problem.
- Event camera stretched.
- All 2d objects stretched (maps, papers, ui, etc..)
- Uzo and periscope views stretched.

Is it correct? :)
Yes, exactly. The sun halo and event camera isn't fixable until now. The 2D objects/windows are fixable, but needs a lot of work. Uzo, periscope and Binocular are fixable too, not difficult to do.

BTW, the bino is already fixed (WS aspect but for 16/9)...but I guess that you will not notice any difference here in relation to 16/10. And here the parameters aren't that simple 1.4 or 1.35 as you can see looking at them using s3d.:cool:

Roumba
09-07-09, 08:37 PM
If this works, I will name my first child after you. I can only hope he or she can aspire to such greatness.

Did I mention how awesome you are?

Shearwater
09-21-09, 05:51 AM
I'm sorry I kind of bumped this thread, but I have a question:

Using 3ditor, how is it possible to adapt it to my screen resolution to 1280x800?
The widescreen mod works (i.e. the res has been changed), but the camera seems way too close. I use it together with the HiRes fix.

Silent Steel
12-12-09, 10:47 AM
January, 21 2009
Mod by Rubini.

Credits:
Skwas' S3D tool
GWX team

Usage and actual progress:
This mod allows SH3 to run in a wide screen mode without streched 3D images.
I and others already have tryed to find a way to get this in the past but without any progres until I find the solution some days ago.
In this stage the mod is already useful and ready to be used. Note that for now only (but the more important ones) 3D views are adjusted. All the 2D tgas (loading screens, TDC, masks, etc, etc) yet need to be adjusted folowed by it's needles, text, buttons position, etc. This will be a huge work (but not difficult) that needs a team to work on.
Also the Periscope and Uzo views are yet streched. The Bino view is already adjusted. I only can adjust the Peri/Uzo after we adjust the mask.

Downsides:
1. Event camera will continue streched - I can't find it's camera parameters...if someone knows where it is please contact me (obviously i already looked at EventCameras.dat). Seems that it's hardcoded.
2. Sunhalo only appears at the extrem left part of the screen, no fix until now, besides the majority of DX10 cards have problems with sunhalo even on stock game, linked to the AA/Gama_correction settings.

Files content:
data\library\cameras.dat
data\Interior\NSS_Uboat2\NSS_Uboat2_CR.cam (this is where the type II A/D interior fore camera parameters are)

Installation:
JSGME ready, you can enable it at any point on your campaign. It's totally harmless, if you don't like it just disable using JSGME and continue your game.

============================================

F.A.Q.

How it works?
What make it work is the parameter "Right" at Viewport section on Cameraparams controller, Cameras.dat file. The value range for 16:9 is 1.4 to 1.45. To 16:10 is 1.35 to 1.4. I put them all on 1.4, this way it will work for both 16:9 or 16:10. (original values are set at 1.0)
I also made small cameras' angles adjusts just to fit the new "zoom"aspect of the wide screen mode.

Will work with the HighResolution mod?
Yes, at any resolution!

Do I really need a widescreen monitor to play with this mod?
Yes, obviously...only WS monitors have the physical size with 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

How the better resolution? How I must adjust my monitor?
1. using the High resolution mod at the exactly resolution of your WS monitor is the best option. (HighResolution mod don't allow to alt tab in some systems and also have some others small issues, it's up to you use it or not)
2. if you don't use HR mode, so you will run at stock 1024x768. Ok just let your WS monitor fulfill the entire visual area and you will have the game in correct WS aspect using this mod. No FPS losses in any way.

Any future mod differences to fit 16:9 or 16:10 WS monitors?
My Sony LCD TV monitor have 1360x768 pixels, physical size in exact 16:9. So i don't know for sure about 16:10...but i guess that it will work out of the box for both without need different set of files.

Future of this WideScreen mod...
Well, I will stop right here if I don't receive help from the experts on menu_1024/texture guys. The work necessary to adjust all that things exposed above is too much for one guy.
I'm also an eye candy freaking guy and the problems with the event camera and sunhalo really annoy me...I almost drop the mod after not find a solution for them...although after have played an entire patrol with the mod enabled I then really becomes very excited with it again.

Last minutes comments:
I just really tested it with a Type IID and with a Type VIIC. I guess that it will work with any uboat. If you tested it with some other uboat, please post here yours observations. This will help a lot.
In the end, this is an open community mod, so, obviously, your feedback (good or not) is absolutely important and necessary!

Have fun!
Rubini.

Links:

Hi mates

I found this mod and thought it must be an outstanding mod so I extracted it an enabled through JSGME.
Now, the 3D screens look OK. The other ones get stretched and as before they look OK first when I go back to 4:3.
I've tried to find out what possibly can be wrong but... :cry:
I run SH III stock, GWX 3.0 and JSGME

Anyone?

Reece
12-12-09, 08:44 PM
Hi, if you read through the thread (a bit long though) you'd see that it will not work with ATI cards!:cry:

Silent Steel
12-13-09, 01:51 AM
Hi, if you read through the thread (a bit long though) you'd see that it will not work with ATI cards!:cry:

Thanks mate,
Still, since i run an nVidia 8800 GTX I don't get it.
Anyhow thanks for the tip! :up:

Reece
12-13-09, 02:05 AM
Hmm, well it should work then, most that have tried this mod with nvidia cards got it working ok:hmmm: maybe someone will assist.:DL

Silent Steel
12-13-09, 02:11 AM
Thanks Reece

You know what - I just got it to work.
Just had to tweak my GPU a bit.
Increased AA and decreased it back to the value I had before.
(nHancer)

Funny ... :hmmm:

Thanks for your help anyway.

Reece
12-13-09, 04:43 AM
No problems. I answered your PM but you can just disregard it now, glad it's working!:yep:

urfisch
12-13-09, 08:23 AM
is there actually a version of it, which works with vista? i always have crashes, when loading a mission. and also the widescreen seems only be stretched, but not "widened"...the game also crashes, when i deactivate the mod. only when removing the d3d files from the game folder, it works again. installed latest directx version 9.27

play on 1600x900
vista 32 bit

?

fig79
01-27-14, 01:44 AM
1. Is this mod compatible with GWX 3.0 Gold ?
2. How to install? first GWX 3.0 Gold then this mod? or first this mod then GWX 3.0?

Thank you in advance

Rubini
01-27-14, 08:18 PM
1. Is this mod compatible with GWX 3.0 Gold ?
2. How to install? first GWX 3.0 Gold then this mod? or first this mod then GWX 3.0?

Thank you in advance

1.Yes.
2.GWX 3.0 first, then this mod.

EDITED: oh sorry! Please donīt use this one but here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166094

This last one is a much better and improved version, also gwx 3.0 compatible, install GWX first.