PDA

View Full Version : NYGM Feature Questions

U-48Kriegsmarine
01-17-09, 09:02 PM
I was thinking of switching over to NYGM from my current GWX 3.0, But I still have a question or 2.....

1. Can you operate in the Pacific, Like in GWX?
2. What do they mean when they say "Tonnage War"
3. Are the U-Boat Models Accurate? (Is the obs. periscope in the control room like it should be)
4. Will GWX Mods work with it (I mean the mods that come with the GWX Mod, but are not enabled unless you enable them with JSGME)?
5. Does JSGME work with NYGM?
6. Are all other mods Compatible? (Water Stream, Flags, Stuff like that)
5. How do you think it compares to GWX?

Thanks,

:arrgh!: ARRRRRRRRRRRR I BE A PIRATE!!!!

kranz
01-18-09, 03:10 AM
5.yes
5.(2): gwx has better graph but longer loading time, I guess it still has HP for ships which in NYGM has been changed into flooding etc. I somewhere read that NYGM is a bit more realistic but those who play GWX say sth else-it's a matter of opinion. You should check them both and decide on your own

Hitman
01-18-09, 04:31 AM
1.- I remember having seen in the editor that there is allied traffic there, however there are no Axis bases in the Far East, unlike in GWX (Penang). You can reach the Indian Ocean and patrol there using milk-cows, however. There also isn't the chance to make a career with a Type II in the Black Sea.

2.- Prestige points are replaced by ship tonnage. Buying upgrades doesn't depend upon collecting points; all are available to you but the install time in the boat is significantly longer. Your chief goal is sinking tonnage, not collecting prestige for upgrades and medals.

3.- Not sure what you mean by that. The U-Boats are the ones that come with SH3, with many details fixed. IIRC the SH3 stock submarines already had the periscopes where they were supposed to be.

4.- Not necesarily, but some can be adapted. Others will work directly OK, like f.e. textures changes in menus, dials, etc., as with any other SH3 supermod.

5.- Of course

6.- Refer to 4)

7.- It's a different experience. Graphics-wise, clearly inferior, gameplay wise it's a personal choice.

The main advantage that can still be decissive for some at this point, is that NYGM is sensibly less demanding to your PC: It will load faster and run better (Graphically) in older PCs.

My advice would be not to deinstall GWX, but to make a parallel install of NYGM and try both. Each has its own flavour, and they can even be complementary: F.e. I play Mediterranean, Black Sea and Indian Ocean careers in GWX, while I play Atlantic careers in NYGM.

Stiebler
01-18-09, 07:16 AM
Hitman has summarized correctly the answers to U48's questions, except that NYGM does indeed have a single far-eastern base (Penang) and a proper Indian Ocean campaign. However, it lacks a Pacific campaign.

This may be a good place to restate NYGM's game philosophy, though:

NYGM seeks to provide the player with the same results that a real U-boat commander would have experienced (ships sunk, probability of being sunk himself, likelihood of encountering ship traffic or aircraft, and so on).

We are really not much interested in graphics, unless they can be added without detrimental effect to frame-rate. Moreover, I am personally a little pessimistic about the benefit of good graphics. A lot of players request improved graphics, such as U48's own desire for water streams for the U-boat, for example. But how often does the requester look at these visual improvements afterwards? Once? twice?, three times at most? 'Too much effort, too little return' sums it up - at any rate to this old cynic.

Give me good ships, because I will see them often through the UZO or periscope. Give me good aircraft, although I hope not to see them too often! But who cares about what the U-boat looks like, inside or out? And who cares about what the bases or land terrain look like? Who wants to see any of these items more than once or twice?

Answers on a postcard, please.

I almost forgot: U48 - I don't think NYGM is really appropriate for your wishlist of mods. But, in case I am wrong, download version 3.1 as well as 2.5 (3.1 is overlaid onto 2.5 with JSGME). Get both downloads, and IABL's ships, from my signature below. As Hitman has already said, best to make a dual install with your existing version of GWX.

Stiebler.

Hitman
01-18-09, 04:03 PM
except that NYGM does indeed have a single far-eastern base (Penang) and a proper Indian Ocean campaign.

My bad :damn: Yes Stiebler is right, the reality is that you can't start a career from there, however you can sail there and continue from there one you have started in one of the available start bases. You won't get correct patrol grids assigned, but on one side you can change that with SH3Patrol (Little tool provided with NYGM) and on the other, the map hasn't anyway the proper KM grids in the Indian Ocean. Plus you don't get prestige anyway in NYGM, so reaching the patrol area is irrelevant for your tonnage objectives :hmm: