PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody figured out this yet?

Freiwillige
01-17-09, 01:55 AM
The load times in SH4 have been re worked and are light speeds ahead of SH3's loading times. Has anybody figured out SH4's trick for III?:hmm:

A Very Super Market
01-17-09, 02:23 AM
I've read somewhere about SH3's loading process involving all files needed to be bottlenecked through something and then put into game. SH4's files are loaded by area when you don't notice it happening. The processes are both hard coded or something and you can't change it, kind of like ship AI

I think.

bigboywooly
01-17-09, 06:59 AM
The engine in SH4 allows campaign files to be split into year or less\more slices plus by area
Meaning if you are operating around the Med in 42 nothing outside the Med will be loaded till you reach a point they need to be and nothing from 39\40\41\43\44\45

SH3 doesnt have that option and loads the campaign files from 39-45 all areas at load up

Not only that I suspect there have been other tweaks to the engine
Using DDS instead of TGA helps too I think

Jimbuna
01-17-09, 08:44 AM
As stated by BBW....SH3 engine is now well over 3 years old and does not have the improvements of the much newer SH4 engine incorporated.

bigboywooly
01-17-09, 08:58 AM
If you enable the Black Sea campaign files in GWX 3 you will see the difference in loading times between that and the full Atlantic files
Much faster loading
Region specific files load something close - not as fast - as SH4 does

Jimbuna
01-17-09, 09:13 AM
If you enable the Black Sea campaign files in GWX 3 you will see the difference in loading times between that and the full Atlantic files
Much faster loading
Region specific files load something close - not as fast - as SH4 does

There is of course a campaign file that will allow you to load the game in seconds :lol:

@BBW.....I never realised I was already in possession of it (had renamed it to something else). LOL