PDA

View Full Version : Why mod SH3 and not SH4?

urfisch
01-15-09, 05:16 AM
i ask myself again and again, why so many people are still polishing this old bolide sh3...why dont they switch to the sh4 engine and make the fantastic sh3 mods available for sh4? in my opinion its all a waste of time here...

sh3 is not longer the state of art. gameplay is fantastic, but this could also be part of the sh4 game...there are so few modders, who recognized this.

i simply have no answer on that..anyone help me? what is it?

:roll:

makman94
01-15-09, 05:27 AM
i ask myself again and again, why so many people are still polishing this old bolide sh3...why dont they switch to the sh4 engine and make the fantastic sh3 mods available for sh4? in my opinion its all a waste of time here...

sh3 is not longer the state of art. gameplay is fantastic, but this could also be part of the sh4 game...there are so few modders, who recognized this.

my point is that only the environmental of sh4 is worth something (but need a lot of fixes also) the sea is only good when you look a photo but when its running....well no.
i vote to this: as it seems impossimple to get sh4's env into the sh3 then i would like to see the whole sh3 (as it is ) into the sh4
sh4 was a fake sequel to sh3 ,i still waiting the real sequel which will propably be the sh5.we will see...

dcb
01-15-09, 06:27 AM
my point is that only the environmental of sh4 is worth something (but need a lot of fixes also)
IMO there are three main aspects in which SH4 greatly improves over SH3:
1. the weather randomizer, which kicks in right after you load a save game in SH4, while in SH3 you must wait for 48 hours game time before anything has a chance to change (a big showstopper in my eyes)
2. the hardcoded behavior of ships under attack. In SH3 they just start zigzagging along their original direction, in SH4 they scatter everywhere. Much more realistic this way.
3. Communications with base are greately improved and you can receive orders all through the patrol, as the campaign engine recognises triggers and zones. No more "Keep up the good work". You can even cooperate with air and surface assets.

In addition, the SH4 environment has gone big steps into fixing, with the two environment mods around: Kriller's Pacific Environment and W_Clear's Environment 5.

Ruzbasan
01-15-09, 06:33 AM
SH4 is in the process of being modded by the GWX team. Understand that SH4 needs a tremendous number of fixes in order to make it realistic. Unlike SH3, which was a decent program when originally released, SH4 needs a lot of work to rise to the level of realism that is found in GWX 3.0.

Sure, SH4 has gorgeous graphics, but the game engine suffers from many bugs and is not very realistic out of the box. Also, the subject of SH4 is not as compelling to many compared to the U-Boat war in the Atlantic found in SH3.

However, on the bright side, when the GWX team is finished modding SH4, I am sure they will do a fantastic job and bring SH4 up to the standards of SH3 GWX Gold.

urfisch
01-15-09, 06:48 AM
so, many of you wait for the gwx-team to make the work...right?

:hmm:

this is foolish. everyone can mod this game...nobody has to wait for other people to this! so, you just have to go ahead if you want a nice sh4...but nearly no one does this.

why? is my question...

makman94
01-15-09, 06:53 AM
2. the hardcoded behavior of ships under attack. In SH3 they just start zigzagging along their original direction, in SH4 they scatter everywhere. Much more realistic this way.

you are absolutely right with this dcb :up: . i had tottaly forgot it ( long time to play sh3 ) . you remind me how annoying and idiot this behaviour is. yes ,this is a win of sh4 so lets keep it in the fantastic merge i told.

for the 3. you said, i have to ask.this communication works ok,without bugs???

the envs you said haven't seen them ( i had unistall sh4).you see,for me olc's gui or mikhayl's gui and u-jagd tools is must

bye

makman94
01-15-09, 06:56 AM

this is foolish. everyone can mod this game...

+1000 to this :up:

Mikhayl
01-15-09, 06:59 AM
U-boot manual targetting sucks big big time in SH4 and thanks to the clusterf*cked menu.ini and multi resolutions it's hardly moddable. To me that's enough of a show stopper.

dcb
01-15-09, 07:10 AM

Well, it greatly depends on how talented is the guy who scripts the campaign. You can set a number of scripted and random objectives, which the game allots you when you make a report, instead of the same "Keep up...". Overall, it gives the feeling that you are not alone, that HQ is trying to coordinate your moves. IMO, it manages to simulate of a satisfactory manner the way Uboat captains got their orders while in patrol. You can even script special missions at predefined moments. It all boils down to the engine allowing the use of triggers and zones.
Imagine a Das Boot scenario in which you script (or leave random) a message to cross the Gibraltar. You can write the campaign so that to send you this message when you reach a certain moment, or tonnage, or even map zone. There are many new possibilities, which all depend on the modders' talent to script an exciting campaign, with twists and turns that will break up the "go there - stay 24 hours - then you're free to roam" routine of SH3. This demands, of course, a lot of time and dedication, in addition to talents and skills, and I think it is the biggest effort in any attempt to port Sh4 into the Atlantic.

dcb
01-15-09, 07:17 AM
U-boot manual targetting sucks big big time in SH4 and thanks to the clusterf*cked menu.ini and multi resolutions it's hardly moddable.

Yes, the menu file is much harder to understand than in SH3, but there is progress. I see you've contributed to this thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136154&highlight=dials

so you must be aware of FLB Sale's progress into "taming" the menu. With his help, I got a manual torp menu into UZO and attk peri much similar to the way I have it in SH3 (post #17 in the thread).

Contact
01-15-09, 07:20 AM

this is foolish. everyone can mod this game...nobody has to wait for other people to this! so, you just have to go ahead if you want a nice sh4...but nearly no one does this.

why? is my question...

So what are you waiting for ?

makman94
01-15-09, 07:28 AM
Well, it greatly depends on how talented is the guy who scripts the campaign. You can set a number of scripted and random objectives, which the game allots you when you make a report, instead of the same "Keep up...". Overall, it gives the feeling that you are not alone, that HQ is trying to coordinate your moves. IMO, it manages to simulate of a satisfactory manner the way Uboat captains got their orders while in patrol. You can even script special missions at predefined moments. It all boils down to the engine allowing the use of triggers and zones.
Imagine a Das Boot scenario in which you script (or leave random) a message to cross the Gibraltar. You can write the campaign so that to send you this message when you reach a certain moment, or tonnage, or even map zone. There are many new possibilities, which all depend on the modders' talent to script an exciting campaign, with twists and turns that will break up the "go there - stay 24 hours - then you're free to roam" routine of SH3. This demands, of course, a lot of time and dedication, in addition to talents and skills, and I think it is the biggest effort in any attempt to port Sh4 into the Atlantic.

i assuming that we are talking about the original sh4 campaign and not a modded one.as ,for the scripted and random objectives i suggest ,if you have sh3 installed, download the 'acs secret mission 1' (from the sh3 missions ) and tell me if i understand you right (becuase as you will see in that mission ,all you describe are happening)

ps: mikhayl is right about the manual targeting. mikhayl..good to see you around :up:

Fincuan
01-15-09, 07:31 AM
For anyone who still thinks there aren't mods for SH4 and that it still needs a tremendous amount of fixes to be realistic: I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. If anyone asks you did not hear this from me!

We have a mods forum for SH4, right here at Subsim:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219

And look, we also have another one for the u-boat types:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234

:up:

Contact
01-15-09, 07:33 AM
For anyone who still thinks there aren't mods for SH4 and that it still needs a tremendous amount of fixes to be realistic: I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. If anyone asks you did not hear this from me!

We have a mods forum for SH4, right here at Subsim:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219

And look, we also have another one for the u-boat types:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234

:lol: Exactly!

dcb
01-15-09, 07:50 AM
assuming that we are talking about the original sh4 campaign and not a modded one.as ,for the scripted and random objectives i suggest ,if you have sh3 installed, download the 'acs secret mission 1' (from the sh3 missions ) and tell me if i understand you right (becuase as you will see in that mission ,all you describe are happening)

Yes, you're right. SH3 engine allows this in single missions only, not in the dynamic campaign. IIRC, there was even one modder who suggested - about one year ago - to build a full 5-year SH3 "campaign" out of many single missions, precisely in order to have access to triggers, zones & objectives. It would have resulted a heavily scripted campaign, much a la SH2. I can't recall what happened to the idea

Reece
01-15-09, 07:54 AM
Too many bugs, I must say that modders have really done a lot with the game but there are still far too many bugs, the only good ATO supermod that is reasonable is Operation Monsun but reading the last few pages of the thread reveals still a lot of bugs, even stock ones that supposedly can't be fixed!!:-? Our only hope is the GWX team, IMO.:D I hope I am proved wrong, miracles do happen!:yep:

lutzow
01-15-09, 08:01 AM
Urfish - say what You want...
This is probably Your second attack on this SH3ModsWorkshop forum;)

People here loves Silent Hunter 3 and You can't change this.
This is really strange - SH3 contains so many bugs - ghost-ships, CTD's after loading game which was saved in bad moments, very looooooong time spended when game is loading etc. But we love those bugs.
We accepted them because we're unable to remove them without SDK. And as Wolves from Kriegsmarine we will sinking another thousands of ships. When we sink those thousands we will paint them and dress
in new skins and sink again. Then we will research new hundreds mods because we love this game.

I tried fine mod Trigger Maru, RSRD and rest of ubermods for Pacific. Result? It's only game with booring campaign on Pacific. I'm not founded there anything what kicked my rear part of body as Silent Hunter 3 has.

There also many bugs - and this fatal scopes, microdials ,terrible interface - hundreds icons under another icons.
I wanted and tried change something but i fallen due to lack of knowledge about messing with files.
I'm simply man.;)

I tried Campagne Del Atlantico - after releasing and i discover potential of this mod. At least - Kriegsmarine and his hopeless fight! But that was a half year ago and this ubermod was strictly beta in spanish language.
And i thinked then - lack of time - soon GWX will make an attack on SH4 and i try again. Life is too short for playing all games which somebody makes. I'm choicing the best.
I don't know how Campagne del Atlantico looks now. And ...i don't want know.

I'm sure that GWX4.0 will be the new core for modders here and i think they (not all) will go and try.
Be sure that i try there my music mods;)

evan82
01-15-09, 08:12 AM
Why We like SH3? Because in the future we will have faster and stronger PC's, so when it hapends we will have much more units, ports, historical battles in this game than today:cool:. More and more for years. I can change many things in SH3 by myself. We have many wonderfull tools for this stuff. I can remodeling or create new convoys, task forces, air raids, battles via Sh3MissionEditor. I can simply change skins for my boats or many others parameters. Most of them is simply editable. I love this game and U-Boats atmosphere!:rock:

Contact
01-15-09, 08:19 AM
looks like Ubisoft learned nothing from it's previous buggy release of SH3 from what I heard it can be obviously seen on awry-handed made SH4 :x

Dietrich
01-15-09, 08:24 AM
Yes, the graphics are nicer in SH4, but the gameplay is not as good and the load on the computer is much higher. To keep multiplayer performance high, this is a good reason for sticking with a solid and reliable programme.

Also, SH4 does not offer the "quantum leap" which would make it worthwhile porting all my software, files and mods over to the new system. For me, it is not just SH3, but all the other things that go with it, and which have been built up over many years. To contemplate starting again, it would mean having a much greater game than the minor increment that SH4 offers over SH3.

Mind you, I'm sure if I was starting from scratch now I would consider SH4. But I am not, which is why I've stuck with SH3. Perhaps I'll move to SH5 when it comes out... but that depends on what it is like. :yep:

Faamecanic
01-15-09, 08:39 AM

why? is my question...

If its so foolish and anyone can do it then What are YOU waiting for.... go for it :yep: Plus I see plenty of mods out there for SH4, including one that won Mod of the year according to Subsim's news pages.

I didnt know the GWX team was working on SH4..... SWEET!!!!! If ANYONE can make SH4 truly great....THEY CAN AND WILL. :rock:

Faamecanic
01-15-09, 08:48 AM
And Im sorry but SH4 lived for only 6 months on my HDD. Why... because the "wonderful varried campaign, that sent you on interesting missions" kept giving me the same mission over and over and over and over agian. This was a big fat FAIL! Keep in mind this was only with the last patch released for SH4 before the Uboat mod came out...so IM not sure if they fixed this. I couldnt justify spending $10 on a mod...if it still had the same bugs. I would have rather spend $10 on a PATCH where UBI fixed what was wrong with SH4....

Guess UBI was waiting for GWX team to fix thier game for free...like they did with SH3.

urfisch
01-15-09, 08:52 AM

why? is my question...

If its so foolish and anyone can do it then What are YOU waiting for.... go for it :yep: Plus I see plenty of mods out there for SH4, including one that won Mod of the year according to Subsim's news pages.

I didnt know the GWX team was working on SH4..... SWEET!!!!! If ANYONE can make SH4 truly great....THEY CAN AND WILL. :rock:

i already started, month ago...but i wonder why so many people still do not realize, that sh4 combined with sh3-mods would be MUCH MORE better, than the best modded sh3 ever could be!!

its a simple fact.

Faamecanic
01-15-09, 08:57 AM

why? is my question...

i already started, month ago...but i wonder why so many people still do not realize, that sh4 combined with sh3-mods would be MUCH MORE better, than the best modded sh3 ever could be!!

its a simple fact.

I agree.... SH4 once modded will be very good. But you cant expect teams like GWX to just throw away thier work they had in progress with SH3.

Uber Gruber
01-15-09, 09:10 AM
SH4 Graphics are crap...just looks like a comic book.
There is no sense of immersion - no 'feel' to it.
But you're right SH3 is a bit old now and SH4 will collect dust in the cupboard whilst I wait for a decent Sub Sim.

Hitman
01-15-09, 10:31 AM
While I have SH4 installed for my US subs careers, I definately have abandoned it for U-Boat games for now. The main reason is that I use manual targeting, and have developed my own mod to have optics and TDC in the periscope to my liking (The mod is available for NYGM and will soon be for GWX 3), and currently I'm unable to port that to SH4 because of the peculir way things work in that game -due to the newly added ability to change the game's screen resolution-.

The interface for US submarines is good enough, the stadimeter is flexible, the torpedo settings can be done from the periscope via the TDC sub-page. But in the U-Boats you simply can't; the interface was directly ported from SH3 but with all the inherent limitations of SH4, including the re-scaling of the background image :damn: which makes it impossible to put graphics in that image and expect them to remain consistent when screen res is changed. An example: A plotter in the game map created for 4:3 screen aspect ratio will no longer work if switching to 16:9 screen ratio :damn:

May be all this will get solved in the near future for talented modders, but till then I will prefer to stay with the U-Boats in SH3 and enjoy the US subs in SH4.

sea snake
01-15-09, 11:47 AM
why come to a silent hunter 3 mod shop and rip up these guys,if we like this game better so be it. i dont they go to silent hunter 4 mod forum and rant like this. if someone likes something be happy for them ,you dont complain about it. if u want 4 to get better get started, you dont need to come here and degrade what we like . :down:

Laufen zum Ziel
01-15-09, 11:55 AM
I enjoyed this thread.

It is about time that we are able to have a discussion of
the ATO v PTO without taking shots and having the thread
blocked.

Well done everyone...

Faamecanic
01-15-09, 12:08 PM
I enjoyed this thread.

blocked.

Well done everyone...

So far it has been a decent discussion with no flames.

I would be willing to bet most SH3 fans bought SH4 also (and felt let down). I dont for the life of me understand this feeling that if you love SH3 then you must hate SH4 and vice versa.... Personally if SH4 wasnt so damn bugged I would have a hard time choosing between the two.

But as of right now I will stay with GWX 3.0 because I find it more realistic and a better simulation than SH4.... Again this is without knowing if the Uboat update for sH4 fixes the crappy Warship AI that would never really try and attack me after hitting a convoy, the buggy missions, and "sub on a rail" in storms).

Now if GWX or any other mod can fix these issues...I will be using SH4...

Hitman
01-15-09, 12:38 PM
blocked.

As I understand it, this NOT a discussion of ATO v PTO and, frankly, don't want to see it turn into another one :shifty: We've had enough of them, and the conclusion is always the same: Choose your preferred one and enjoy, or enjoy both and let others do what they want in peace.

This is a discussion about the moddability of the games, and why SH4 has so far received less attention (ATO) than SH3. Stick to the thread theme, gentlemen, we don't need more ATO v PTO wrestling.

Thanks

ReallyDedPoet
01-15-09, 12:38 PM

:yep:

I have both, love em' both. For the longest time I have been playing SH4, when 1.5 came out I got it through Direct Drive, I also recently bought the Gold Edition for SH4. I find SH4 with it's varied missions, updated graphics and shorter load times to be a great experience. And there are a ton of mods to boot.

Anyway as far as modding, folks are free to do what they want with either for as long as they want. Some may do it because of their computer specs, some because they enjoy a particular theatre, but it's their choice in the end. That's life :yep::D

RDP

urfisch
01-15-09, 02:13 PM

I have both, love em' both. For the longest time I have been playing SH4, when 1.5 came out I got it through Direct Drive, I also recently bought the Gold Edition for SH4. I find SH4 with it's varied missions, updated graphics and shorter load times to be a great experience. And there are a ton of mods to boot.

Anyway as far as modding, folks are free to do what they want with either for as long as they want. Some may do it because of their computer specs, some because they enjoy a particular theatre, but it's their choice in the end. That's life :yep::DRDP

Tons of Mods? Sure, but 80% for the SH4 PT US-Subs...and only a few for the former SH3 fans, who only want to play germans in the AT, like me. I simply want to know the reasons, why so many people keep modding SH3...

Isnt it, that we nearly had gone over the top with good old SH3? The peak is reached, dudes. Even GWX 3.0 is not a big step forward - and to my opinion better had been titled "GWX, 2.2". But its self-explaining: There are only minor tweaks left to be done...and more less that CAN be done, to enrich the game. Nearly everything, that is not been hardcoded, was changed and optimized.

SH3 is really great - astonishing! BUT:

And when i look at the games and compare them from a neutral point of view: Means JUST with ENGINE and POSSIBILITIES...SH4 is simply better, thats a fact. And in the end no one can say, that SH4 with the lovely gameplay and modded content of SH3, would not be his favorite! Come on guys...be true to yourself.

:know:

Task Force
01-15-09, 02:20 PM
For somereason, I can run sh3 perfectly, close to 200fps sometimes. But just let alittle storm brew in SH4 my 50-60fps go to 20-40fps.:hmm:

bigboywooly
01-15-09, 02:26 PM
I think has already been posted but many simply just dont like the look of SH4
I dont
My PC can run at the highest levels ( many people cant even play SH4 ) but just dont like SH4
Even with uboats - in fact especially with the uboats

Besides so what if little else is left to mod in SH3 ?
Its nice to be able to play knowing you wont need a new version every month
If you wanna mod SH4 then carry on
Leave those that want to play SH3 behind
We dont mind

Plenty of ppl still working on SH3

StarLion45
01-15-09, 02:30 PM
:-? What I like to with SH4:-?

Is this :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt439YYNO)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZNxpt439YYNO (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb113_ZNxpt439YYNO&utm_id=7921)

evan82
01-15-09, 02:33 PM
To me SH3 is a game for long time. Newer games, sometimes with super graffic but... Today many games is to short and linear, and how many computers I must have to play each of these games correctly? If something is good then I don't need to change anything. I'm happy with this what I have. SH3 is a game with something more than linear campaign.

Tonight I'll be dreaming about U-Boats on the Pacific Ocean.:zzz:

Wildhawke11
01-15-09, 03:13 PM
URFISCH
Nothing you say is going to convince us U-BOAT men that your SH4 is a better game. The simple truth is we love the Atlantic and the U-boats. More of a challenge and the odds getting worse for us with every patrol. ATLANTIC RULES FOR US GUYS and i feel always will. I just pray that SH5 will be the Atlantic again with our beloved U- Boats.

Dowly
01-15-09, 03:23 PM
URFISCH
Nothing you say is going to convince us U-BOAT men that your SH4 is a better game. The simple truth is we love the Atlantic and the U-boats. More of a challenge and the odds getting worse for us with every patrol. ATLANTIC RULES FOR US GUYS and i feel always will. I just pray that SH5 will be the Atlantic again with our beloved U- Boats.

Urfisch has already stated his "side" and that being Uboat kaleun. So, to you, my dear friend, I present this picture(no offense meant ;)):
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/11107.gif

As for this topic, if you ask me, it's a waste of SubSim's bandwight (again, no offense meant). Why? Because, if I want to mod for SHIII, I mod for SHIII. If I want to mod for SHIV, I mod for it. And that, urfisch, is the reason there isnt so many modders for ATO SHIV, they want to mod SHIII.

Faamecanic
01-15-09, 03:26 PM
Tons of Mods? Sure, but 80% for the SH4 PT US-Subs...and only a few for the former SH3 fans, who only want to play germans in the AT, like me. I simply want to know the reasons, why so many people keep modding SH3...

Isnt it, that we nearly had gone over the top with good old SH3? The peak is reached, dudes. Even GWX 3.0 is not a big step forward - and to my opinion better had been titled "GWX, 2.2". But its self-explaining: There are only minor tweaks left to be done...and more less that CAN be done, to enrich the game. Nearly everything, that is not been hardcoded, was changed and optimized.

:know:

I see what you mean now... sorry I missed your point (and have no clue what ATO PTO means). Plenty of Mods for US boats in SH4 but very little for Uboats in SH4. Being as I dont have the Uboat add on for SH4 I cant comment. Maybe I will just get it and see if it fixes my issues with SH4 (or doesnt have the same issues with Uboat as the US boat does).

Dowly
01-15-09, 03:29 PM
(and have no clue what ATO PTO means)

ATO = Atlantic Theatre of Operations
PTO = Pacific Theatre of Operations

Or something like that. :yep:

AVGWarhawk
01-15-09, 03:30 PM
URFISCH
Urfisch has already stated his "side" and that being Uboat kaleun. So, to you, my dear friend, I present this picture(no offense meant ;)):

As for this topic, if you ask me, it's a waste of SubSim's bandwight (again, no offense meant). Why? Because, if I want to mod for SHIII, I mod for SHIII. If I want to mod for SHIV, I mod for it. And that, urfisch, is the reason there isnt so many modders for ATO SHIV, they want to mod SHIII.

I love you man!

Dowly
01-15-09, 03:32 PM
Rrrriiight.... *slooowly backs away from the PC* :p

Graf Paper
01-15-09, 03:53 PM
Newer doesn't neccessarily mean better. Older is not always obsolete.

There are many things that could still be done with SH3. The only real limit that has been reached in modding the game is time and the will to do it.

Some feel they've done enough and others feel there's still enough to be done.

Just to name two items currently being worked on....

A playable VIID minelayer.
More realistic smoke for the ships, both coal and oil burning.And there's still much to be done with creating more detailed and realistic models as well as modeling the full interior of the u-boats so you can walk from the bow torpedo room to the engine room (or stern torpedo for those that have them).

AVGWarhawk
01-15-09, 03:58 PM

There are many things that could still be done with SH3. The only real limit that has been reached in modding the game is time and the will to do it.

Some feel they've done enough and others feel there's still enough to be done.

Just to name two items currently being worked on....

A playable VIID minelayer.
More realistic smoke for the ships, both coal and oil burning.And there's still much to be done with creating more detailed and realistic models as well as modeling the full interior of the u-boats so you can walk from the bow torpedo room to the engine room (or stern torpedo for those that have them).

The only thing limiting the continuance of modding SH3 is imagination. As you can see, SH3 is rich with imaginative people as shown in this post. It has become a hobby and past time for a lot. Thus the modding continues and new things seen.

Carry on men.

Wildhawke11
01-15-09, 04:02 PM
URFISCH

Dowley
You got one bit wrong i am pretty careful who i except as a friend - NO OFFENCE MEANT :stare:

Dowly
01-15-09, 04:07 PM
You being my friend, doesnt mean I'm yours. Like I love Keira Knightley but the sack of bones doesnt love me. :cry:

Wildhawke11
01-15-09, 04:16 PM
Dowley

No problem ok

evan82
01-15-09, 04:38 PM

There are many things that could still be done with SH3... as modeling the full interior of the u-boats so you can walk from the bow torpedo room to the engine room (or stern torpedo for those that have them).
:rock::rock::rock:

U-48Kriegsmarine
01-15-09, 04:40 PM
Why Not is the Better Question! Sure, SH4 does look dang pretty, but, Sh3 has such a wonderful game play structure, its just to good to waste, and is very modifiable, with an infrastructure for it on the web, also, SH4 does have a really good, in depth, Command Structure (IE the orders you are given) but, this can be modded in SH3, and their is more room for expansion with the SH3 Game Engine, (Because not all of us could potentially run SH4 with a tone of mods).

Well, Anyway,

Besides, SH3 Just Already has everything to offer, from Atlantic Theater, to Pacific:D

OK, well that's my 2 cents.

:arrgh!: ARRRRRRRRRRRR, I BE A PIRATE!!!!

Hitman
01-15-09, 04:40 PM
The 3 last posts haven't had anything to do with the thread theme. I bet it won't take much more to close it, either by me or one of the other moderators. :stare:

Wildhawke11
01-15-09, 04:44 PM
The 3 last posts haven't had anything to do with the thread theme. I bet it won't take much more to close it, either by me or one of the other moderators. :stare:

To be honest
I felt the guy had come on here to try to attract the mod guys who were still interested on working on our game to leave us and work on the game he wants. I just felt he was a little out of order. Hence my post. OK.

Fincuan
01-15-09, 04:56 PM
You won't have to be afraid of modders being dragged away by someone posting a thread here. They work on precisely the game they want to work on, doing the mods they want to.

SeaWolf U-57
01-15-09, 05:05 PM
I think that most of us SHIII players are waiting for the game to be more U-Boat orientated because although the fleet boats are playable we still prefer the U-boats to sail in and yes SH4 has more potential and in time and with a few good mods behind it will probably be the better theatre in most peoples view. but for me I like sailing around the Atlantic using GWX3.0 at this time but when the GWX team release a mod who knows time will tell :hmm:

Faamecanic
01-15-09, 05:19 PM
(and have no clue what ATO PTO means)

ATO = Atlantic Theatre of Operations
PTO = Pacific Theatre of Operations

Or something like that. :yep:

Thanks Dowly...... I feel stupid now :oops: :lol:

My bottom line isnt theater of operations...but its more about which one immerses me more in a sub sim.

Due to all the bugs above with SH4...I just gave up after patch 1.4 (or 1.5..what ever was the latest prior to UBO). GWX caught my attention back at 1.0 and I have never looked back. I do check the SH4 fourms occasionnally to see if anything earth shattering has been released for SH4, and nothing has.... yet.

AVGWarhawk
01-15-09, 06:02 PM
You won't have to be afraid of modders being dragged away by someone posting a thread here. They work on precisely the game they want to work on, doing the mods they want to.

And that is a fact...plain and simple:up:

Reece
01-15-09, 07:27 PM
There is one aspect that SH4 has over SH3 that I'm sure all will agree and that is the ability to play on a wide screen without losing the aspect ratio, however this is what has caused a lot of the problems SH4 has!!:yep:
Would be nice if SH3 could run on wide screen without stretching and having circles look like eggs!!:damn:
From what I gather it seems that the U-boat missions addon with 1.5 patch has a big problem in this area that the PTO with 1.4 doesn't, is this so? can it be fixed or is it hard coded?:-?
I would like to change to SH4 but I feel would be a waste of time, the GWX team is doing a super mod for the ATO, I wonder if some of these major issues have been addressed?:)

StarLion45
01-15-09, 07:34 PM
:D I'm gonna play SH3forever I think:yep:

Because they gonna mod this game , forever :cool: :p

Sailor Steve
01-15-09, 07:42 PM
Why don't SH3 modders move to SH4? Many reasons, really. A lot of folks still don't have computers that can adequately run SH4. A lot of folks have been modding SH3 for a long time and know its ins and outs, and can work on it without having to learn the new system. A lot of folks are having fun taking SH4 things and recreating them for SH3 (Lifeboats, Water Streams etc).

And a lot of folks have moved to SH4, or are in the process of doing so. The new 'Torpedo Room' mod is a great example.

Currently SH4 has nothing to compare with the functions of SH3 Commander. If JScones doesn't want to do one for SH4, and nobody else has produced one yet, I'm staying where I am. GWX will make a difference for me, as will other things in the works.

And as for complaints about SH4's graphics, I can't play it but I can look at it, and I don't know what settings you're using, but I think it looks much better than SH3.

But that's just me.

StarLion45
01-15-09, 07:49 PM
:smug: I couldn't say it better Sailor Steve
But I'm disagree with you that SH4
looking better than SH3 , I think it's bad:-?
But,,, that's me:up:

StarLion45
01-15-09, 08:03 PM
:D Honestly everyone:D

This looking good , like SH4 , doesn't it:hmm:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5403/screenshotaq5.jpg

Fincuan
01-15-09, 08:08 PM
No, in SH4 circles are circles and not egg shaped :lol:

StarLion45
01-15-09, 10:01 PM
:o Huh!?!

Reece
01-15-09, 10:08 PM
@ StarLion45, see post #56, it's in reference to wide screens.:yep:

Marko_Ramius
01-15-09, 10:10 PM
Well, i think this screen has a more realistic looking than SH4. But at the same time, SH4 has better graphics .. :hmm: Probably the cartoon looking.

And graphics don't do always the trick. In a "first person shooter", yes. But in a simulation : No, absolutely not. It can ehance the experience, but it can't give all.

SH3 now is a great sim who works well. There is a soul behind it. Leaving a port at night is magic, for example. Trying to evade the destroyers in 1943/44 is a challenge, and the escort up there won't do silly things like i saw in SH4.

I see nothing like this in SH4, even with a mod like TrigerrMaru . BUT --> i really wish SH4 some best as i like the PTO like i love the Atlantic.

I think SH4 has great potential, so it's up to us to make it working as expected, and it's a long, long way to Tipper ...... Oupss ;) A long way to achieve that.

I'm not a modder, i'm a user, so for the moment, i enjoy SH3 maybe like any other sim i played before, for a tremendous part because of GWX team. I whish them the best to make SH4 as good as SH3.

Lagger123987
01-15-09, 10:26 PM
I like both, but I only like SH3 because it's stable enough, SH4 is on the buggy side, but hopefully the 4th installment of GWX can be in SH4, but not sure about the name for the new expansion since Grey Wolves is an U-boat name, anyone knows the nicknames for US subs?

A Very Super Market
01-15-09, 10:59 PM
I'm pretty sure they are modding U-boot fleet and not the American ones. So no need for a nick change.

JScones
01-16-09, 01:55 AM
There is one aspect that SH4 has over SH3 that I'm sure all will agree and that is the ability to play on a wide screen without losing the aspect ratio, however this is what has caused a lot of the problems SH4 has!!:yep:
Would be nice if SH3 could run on wide screen without stretching and having circles look like eggs!!:damn:
I play on a 22" WS with correct 4:3 aspect ratio. All (at least) nVidia users can too. And no need for the resolution fix or anything fancy.

Currently SH4 has nothing to compare with the functions of SH3 Commander. If JScones doesn't want to do one for SH4, and nobody else has produced one yet, I'm staying where I am. GWX will make a difference for me, as will other things in the works.
Yes, and I will take a leaf out of the GWX team's book and state, categorically, that all development on SH3Cmdr has ceased. There will be no more work done on SH3Cmdr.

;)

TarJak
01-16-09, 02:19 AM
So when does work commence on SH4Cmdr?:D

nikimcbee
01-16-09, 02:59 AM

Yeah, roger that.:hmm:

makman94
01-16-09, 04:00 AM
I play on a 22" WS with correct 4:3 aspect ratio. All (at least) nVidia users can too. And no need for the resolution fix or anything fancy.

;)

hello JScones, would you have the kindness to tell us the procedure? (sorry ,if it discussed to some other posts,..i simply can't find it)

Reece
01-16-09, 04:43 AM
Yes Jaesen, please tell, I might have an ATI card but might be doable.:yep:

JScones
01-16-09, 05:13 AM
Nup, tmk nVidia only.

Check out http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=517145, particularly posts #11 (mine) and #12.

JScones
01-16-09, 05:17 AM
Dunno, you'll have to ask skwasjer or whomever has now taken over the (seemingly) poisoned chalice.

urfisch
01-16-09, 05:25 AM

respect! i wonder, this discussion is more or less free of flames. really nice, dudes! and i get a clearer picture of the reasons so many people still keep on modding sh3, instead of sh4 AT.

- the hardware issue is one of the most mentioned arguments
- the state of gameplay, which is far better in sh3 another one

ok, i agree. In general: UBM SH4 is far away of beeing such good as SH3 is at the moment. this is true...and i love this game!

but in time of play, many things appeared kind of "old fashioned" to me. the basic game engine is from 3/2005 - about 4 years old! things like:

(even with gwx 3.0 and other optimizing mods installed!)

- the funny breaking of ghostly, empty ships with whole parts flying around
- water, that often looks like an oily,pasty liquid and no transparency
- bad coded, ugly wavemovement, with fractions on top, to short waves, etc.
- many animations which often are far away from smooth movements
- a disturbing and unrealistic crewmanagement
- no interaction between bdu and your boat
- no wolfpacks, that interact with your commands
- etc...theres a lot, that could be (or was) better done in sh4 (on base of UBM).

right?

and as long so many people stay with sh3, instead of giving their creativity, even in parts, for a better sh4 atlantic scenario...there will be no better sh4, true. gwx team is about to build a supermod, thats right. but this could take time...a lot of time.

all i mean is: give a little notice to sh4 - atlantic theater and maybe you feel like: "ok, there is a lot more potential. i will give it a try..."

sergbuto
01-16-09, 06:25 AM

Not even close. And the right corner of the water surface showing tiled and periodic 3D/texture pattern towards the horison looks terrible.

Reece
01-16-09, 06:56 AM
Yes but there are things in SH4 that look horrid, such as:
Empty eye sockets.
Non interactive crew.
Guages that are only for viewing, can't set them.
Water that looks like jelly.
Crew that you can sometimes see through.
Ships moving over land.
Well you get the idea, so please stop putting down SH3, it may be old but it works, and eventually SH4 will too, especially after the GWX team gets through with it.:yep:

Mikhayl
01-16-09, 06:59 AM
Urfisch, IMO it's very simple, SH4 is not a sequel to SH3, it's the equivalent of SH3 in the Pacific with a pimped engine and features specific to the theater of choice. The U-boat add-on is a piece of marketing with hardly anything new, the real sequel apparently will be SH5.
I "gave a little notice" to SH4 but really I don't like it. I worked with Xantrokoles on the abandonned "Med mod" and we both played it quite a lot for testing and I think we had more or less the same feeling about it
SH4 graphics definitely kills the pleasure of playing SH3 since the latter looks ugly in comparison, but SH4 has some show stopping bugs and the experience is far from that of SH3 no matter the mission features, so in the end I could play neither. After a while I got over the graphic issue and I prefer SH3 without a doubt.
By graphics I mean the models and characters, IMO the SH4 water is great but it's bugged so whatever. SH3 water is not "photorealistic" but regardless it gives a very nice feel and sets the ambiance nicely.

What kills SH4 as a U-boat sim IMO:

-decent manual targetting near impossible
-water starts being jerky after playing for a while no matter what mods and what TC rate
-you can see docked ships long before the harbor (harbors fade out at ~3km for me and I couldn't find anything to change it)
-crew management is worse than in SH3. Either you play as if you had no crew or you mod a realistic crew and it becomes a real pain in the neck.

And again, the menu is a mess and I think you'll have to wait a hell of a long time to see some proper U-boat manual targetting tools implemented, if ever.
It's true that Sale added TDC dials to the scope screen and even I added the AOB finder. But first it's 10 times less practical to use than in SH3 and second it works only for a given screen resolution. So if a modder makes a menu mod for manual targetting either everybody will have to use his screen resolution or he will have to make 10 versions of the mod for each resolution/aspect ratio.

McHibbins
01-16-09, 07:03 AM
SH4 is far awyay from SH3īs immersion !

lutzow
01-16-09, 07:25 AM
Why modders from this old and ugly SH4 are still making mods for this
old and ugly SH4? There are new games with beautiful graphic and much
better engine. For example - STALKER. Is very similar to SH4 because there also scopes, guns and dead bodies;)

Urfish - SH3 and SH4 ARE TWO DIFFERENT GAMES. And as i speak people
choicing this one which they love. Look - i'm playing SH3 from time when
it was born in Ubisoft fabrik. Then i encountered many other games - hundreds different games including SH4. Some of those games i played again and again but never SH4. Because I DON'T LIKE SH4.
And i never uninstalled SH3 (just some times for fresh installation of new
version of GWX, You know man;) ).

Jimbuna
01-16-09, 07:39 AM
I think it's good that people have the choice of which one to play...SH3 or SH4.

Both versions have their respective plusses and minuses (purely a matter of individual opinion).

With the onset of various mods/supermods the subsimmer is probably currently in their best ever position to date.

The future looks bright.

Dietrich
01-16-09, 08:57 AM
but in time of play, many things appeared kind of "old fashioned" to me.

Ah... that just adds to the charm! :yep:

the basic game engine is from 3/2005 - about 4 years old! things like:

(even with gwx 3.0 and other optimizing mods installed!)

- the funny breaking of ghostly, empty ships with whole parts flying around
- water, that often looks like an oily,pasty liquid and no transparency
- bad coded, ugly wavemovement, with fractions on top, to short waves, etc.
- many animations which often are far away from smooth movements

True, some people consider the graphics in SH4 to be better. But some people prefer the gameplay of SH3. In fact, some players don't even care about the "external" graphics and consider the NavMap, Periscope and TDC the only important interfaces. For those who don't find the graphics important, SH4 will not have a large appeal.

- a disturbing and unrealistic crewmanagement
- no interaction between bdu and your boat
- no wolfpacks, that interact with your commands

There are various metagames that people use to get around these problems. Subwolves, Wolves@War and others allow you to have BdU and wolfpacks. These then become as much a part of the game as the game engine itself. I think that when I consider the entire game picture (graphics, gameplay, metagame, community, etc.) then I still regard SH3 as having more potential for what I want to do.

For me, I have a lot of additional software that I don't want to port to a new game (30,949 lines of C code, for instance). Thus for me, and everyone who is also using this, there have to be really, really, really compelling reasons to re-invest that time.

and as long so many people stay with sh3, instead of giving their creativity, even in parts, for a better sh4 atlantic scenario...there will be no better sh4, true. gwx team is about to build a supermod, thats right. but this could take time...a lot of time.

Very true. It will take a lot of time. I think that for many modders, they would rather improve what they have than start again completely from scratch. That is certainly how I feel about it.

urfisch
01-16-09, 09:03 AM
For me, I have a lot of additional software that I don't want to port to a new game (30,949 lines of C code, for instance). Thus for me, and everyone who is also using this, there have to be really, really, really compelling reasons to re-invest that time.

what kind of "additional" software is this? enigma decoder, etc.? still searching for a useable enigma decoder, which i can use in this game. wasnt there even a radiomod with enigma coded messages?

asanovic7
01-16-09, 10:39 AM
I installed gwx 3.0 yesterday..

In my hurry to test it out, I forgot to check for voice language..

Bloody hell, it s..k beyond all borders of human knowledge and existence when the guy said "yes, sir"..

Because many people are fans of das boot, because many don't care if the wave looks better in sh4, because sh4 doesn't have charm, because sh3 has charm, because it is better to play old game polished to perfection and in end more enoyable and that is because sh3 is good even in vanilla shape, because I don't want to play sh4, because, because..
Because..

SH4 is dead, get over it..

Fincuan
01-16-09, 11:57 AM

Nope, alive, well and kicking ass. In fact I'm starting a new patrol from Kiel right now :up:

AVGWarhawk
01-16-09, 12:10 PM
I installed gwx 3.0 yesterday..

In my hurry to test it out, I forgot to check for voice language..

Bloody hell, it s..k beyond all borders of human knowledge and existence when the guy said "yes, sir"..

Because many people are fans of das boot, because many don't care if the wave looks better in sh4, because sh4 doesn't have charm, because sh3 has charm, because it is better to play old game polished to perfection and in end more enoyable and that is because sh3 is good even in vanilla shape, because I don't want to play sh4, because, because..
Because..

You might want to tell that to the creators of RFB, TMO, OM, PE4, EE 5.0 and yes, GWX. They have applyed the paddles to keep it alive. Muuuhhaaaaa:D

asanovic7
01-16-09, 12:11 PM
Happy hunting! :up:

Fincuan
01-16-09, 12:28 PM
Thanks, and luck is certainly needed when I return. I just sunk a Danish merchant... and the year is still 1939.

ReallyDedPoet
01-16-09, 01:12 PM
Because many people are fans of das boot, because many don't care if the wave looks better in sh4
Don't want to get off topic but .....
if that was the case what about the following:

- Water stream Thread\Mod
- SH4 Effects for SH3 Thread\Mod
- Life Boats Thread\Mod
- Transparent Water Thread

And the above mentioned mods were and are still very popular and all are a result of folks wanting to port ( especially the first 3 ) some of the SH4 stuff to 3. I just think that many folks really have not given SH4 a chance, and if that chance was\is Stock, then they have really missed the boat or " sub " :lol::lol::yep: on what a great experience 4 is.

For many here this should change with GWX for SH4. It will be interesting to re-visit this thread once that happens. Then maybe these mods will also be given a chance as well, because they are great ones in their own right :yep:: RFB, TMO, OM, PE4, EE 5.0

Back on topic :oops::oops:

RDP

asanovic7
01-16-09, 01:25 PM
It is easy to explain that..

It is polishing a nice, good old game with some things that are missing to her..
Ah, you cannot understand..
:rotfl:

ReallyDedPoet
01-16-09, 01:29 PM

It is polishing a nice, good old game with some things that are missing to her..
C'mon asanovic, we all know you are a closet SH4 player, time to come out :p:yep:

Edit: Since you added more to your post, I had to include this for others to see, it's a play on the "closet" thing :yep::lol::lol: Captain Cox, one of the great early modders of SH4 did it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/letherman.jpg

RDP

Carotio
01-16-09, 01:34 PM
Thanks, and luck is certainly needed when I return. I just sunk a Danish merchant... and the year is still 1939.

You better don't do that EVER again, or I'll come and smack my VIKING axe in your head... :stare:

PS: Just kidding :rock:

asanovic7
01-16-09, 01:44 PM

C'mon asanovic, we all know you are a closet SH4 player, time to come out :p:yep:

RDP
Man, I thought for 10 mins how to answer on that..

:rotfl::rotfl:

Never!!

sh3 is better!

edit:
Have done some reading of this thread..

It looks to me like sh4 is kinda bollocki compared to sh3, only one thing stands out and that is graphic?
But that's why we polished sh3, right? ;)

SHIPS APPEARING BEFORE HARBOUR!?

Man, not even I don't have a decent bucket to play, nor do I want.. Even with possible gwx.. It's like das boot..
You can make new movies (u 572?) with brilliant effects, BUT which movie regardless of effects offers better sub atmosphere??

A6Intruder
01-16-09, 02:20 PM

RDP
Man, I thought for 10 mins how to answer on that..

:rotfl::rotfl:

Never!!

sh3 is better!

edit:
Have done some reading of this thread..

It looks to me like sh4 is kinda bollocki compared to sh3, only one thing stands out and that is graphic?
But that's why we polished sh3, right? ;)

SHIPS APPEARING BEFORE HARBOUR!?

Man, not even I don't have a decent bucket to play, nor do I want.. Even with possible gwx.. It's like das boot..
You can make new movies (u 572?) with brilliant effects, BUT which movie regardless of effects offers better sub atmosphere??

Well spoken, good old comrade:up:
Kind regards

AVGWarhawk
01-16-09, 02:32 PM
It's like das boot..
Neither. I like Das Boot and U572 story line was just rubbish. Periscope Down, now that was great!

Jimbuna
01-16-09, 03:20 PM
I like both, but I only like SH3 because it's stable enough, SH4 is on the buggy side, but hopefully the 4th installment of GWX can be in SH4, but not sure about the name for the new expansion since Grey Wolves is an U-boat name, anyone knows the nicknames for US subs?

Just noticed your question (the first part)...the answer is on my sig http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Madox58
01-16-09, 04:36 PM
SH 3 is my training grounds.
Nearly everything I'm doing is, or will be, easily moved to SH 4
SH 4 is hard on my system, but I still look at things.
The early animation work for Life Boats gave me an insight to the
animations for SH 4 as one example.
I've not been far away from mod work for SH 4 since day one of it's release.

But I study the things I want from a different angle then most.
There are few things in SH 4 that can not be discovered in SH 3

A diving Sub for SH 3 will work in SH 4.
AI Torpedos for SH 3 will work in SH 4.
Flooding Compartments for SH 3 will work for SH 4.

See my point of view?

urfisch
01-16-09, 06:42 PM
sure, understand. privateer...i always like your way of working on things. keep it.

regarding former posts...i guess the topic has gone a bit offshore...?

AVGWarhawk
01-16-09, 07:16 PM
sure, understand. privateer...i always like your way of working on things. keep it.

Off shore? Not really, SH4 has been modded from day one. It had to be. Many people have been itching their heads with SH3. These folks learned how to mod the game into something decent and special. Does not really make sense to mod something for years then just up and drop it. No, now is the time to benefit from the rewards....actually playing it. Seeing the smiles on the users face. It is the same deal with the guys who mod SH4. OM, RFB, TMO, PE4 and EE 5.0. The guys have been going at SH4 for over /close to two years now. Each folk has a different stroke. Some just like this and some just like that. But, as seen in this thread, SH4 is modded already and to quite a great extent. It is a shame however, that SH4 requires a lot of juice to run with any clarity. Some people just do not have the money to upgrade. So instead of being a sour lemon, these folks got vodka and work on/play SH3. No on can find fault there at all. Hell, I was the same when I loaded SH4 the day it came out. After about an hour of watching a slideshow, I robbed a few convience stores and got a new vid card/PSU. This year I got a entire new rig. It is a sick habit but it beats smoking crack on the street corner.

Madox58
01-16-09, 07:21 PM

asanovic7
01-17-09, 07:55 AM

Off shore? Not really, SH4 has been modded from day one. It had to be. Many people have been itching their heads with SH3. These folks learned how to mod the game into something decent and special. Does not really make sense to mod something for years then just up and drop it. No, now is the time to benefit from the rewards....actually playing it. Seeing the smiles on the users face. It is the same deal with the guys who mod SH4. OM, RFB, TMO, PE4 and EE 5.0. The guys have been going at SH4 for over /close to two years now. Each folk has a different stroke. Some just like this and some just like that. But, as seen in this thread, SH4 is modded already and to quite a great extent. It is a shame however, that SH4 requires a lot of juice to run with any clarity. Some people just do not have the money to upgrade. So instead of being a sour lemon, these folks got vodka and work on/play SH3. No on can find fault there at all. Hell, I was the same when I loaded SH4 the day it came out. After about an hour of watching a slideshow, I robbed a few convience stores and got a new vid card/PSU. This year I got a entire new rig. It is a sick habit but it beats smoking crack on the street corner.

Spoken like a true prodigy..
:up: :up:

Faamecanic
01-17-09, 09:51 AM

Edit: Since you added more to your post, I had to include this for others to see, it's a play on the "closet" thing :yep::lol::lol: Captain Cox, one of the great early modders of SH4 did it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/letherman.jpg

RDP

That pic just ISNT right for many reasons (being cooped up in a steel tube for months with him being the first reason)

:rotfl: :rotfl:

SeaWolf U-57
01-17-09, 01:45 PM

Ho yes great pic ....NOT

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6083/newpicture4li9.jpg

this is more like it

rascal101
01-17-09, 05:55 PM
Is simple and I dont want to offend any one, SH4 has great graphics, but game play isnt all that good, plus the Pacific dont interest the folks doing all the work on SH3, hence the relative lack of mods

I've tried the SH$ and find that no matter what mod I try the japs never really come looking for me, there is no challenge, also, as the war progressed the Japs got weeker, and while there was some development re anti sub technology, there wasnt so much as the Allies in the Atlantic, so the real challenge with SH3 is to actually stay alive as the Allies get better.

With SH4 there is no such challenge and despite its great graphics no real challenge as the war progresses

Please dont all yell at me is jhust my opinion, and we're all entitled to our opinions

CWorth
01-17-09, 06:47 PM
Well let me use a comparison I am familiar with since it has been what I have been playing more for the last few years with Silent Hunter games in between.

Take World of Warcraft..I simply love the game.Good graphics and a very immersive game and story been playing for 3 1/2 yrs now.

Now take the newer Conan game and you have better graphics but a very sucky gameplay and story line in comparison to WoW and loaded with game killing bugs and flaws.

SH3 to SH4 is what WoW is to Conan.

SH3 is the far better game even though it is a bit older in graphics but it more than makes up for it in gameplay and immersion.Just like WoW is better than Conan.

Webster
01-18-09, 01:14 AM
this thread is very funny :rotfl:

if you want to compare sh3 to sh4 then lets truely compare them.

take STOCK sh3 and compare to stock sh4 and sh3 is a load of crap with just as many bugs as sh4.

those who deny this are simply refusing to admit the truth.

sh3 has had a long time and has taken hundreds and hundreds of mods to become what it is today with GWX 3.

anyone who gives sh4 an objective new look with the mods it has available today will not have much to complain about. it is what you make it.

the truth is, if most of the critics of sh4 would get off their lazy duffs and stop waiting for someone else to make the game better for them, then they themselves could be part of what makes sh4 and the new sh4 GWX mod something special. all it takes is a little time and just a little effort for ANYONE to learn most if not all modding tricks.

just ask yourself this, if everyone said screw sh3 im not going to play it until 5 years from now when GWX3 is made, it would have never been made and neither would any of the mods you love today.

sh4 and sh3 are the same game files for the most part, they just have different game engines so if it floats your boat to only play sh3 then delete the entire sh4 files and replace them completely with sh3 files to take sh3 to places it could never go as it is. think about all the new modding possabilities that would present.

like it or not sh3 has gone as far as it can go and its fully matured in its old game engine so a tweak here or there is all your ever going to see from now on.

Webster
01-18-09, 01:21 AM
Is simple and I dont want to offend any one, SH4 has great graphics, but game play isnt all that good, plus the Pacific dont interest the folks doing all the work on SH3, hence the relative lack of mods

I've tried the SH$ and find that no matter what mod I try the japs never really come looking for me, there is no challenge, also, as the war progressed the Japs got weeker, and while there was some development re anti sub technology, there wasnt so much as the Allies in the Atlantic, so the real challenge with SH3 is to actually stay alive as the Allies get better.

With SH4 there is no such challenge and despite its great graphics no real challenge as the war progresses

Please dont all yell at me is jhust my opinion, and we're all entitled to our opinions

try the ATO threads (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)and the UBM ad-on thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)for atlantic and uboat mods plus GWX info

as for not finding a challenge, try sh4 with TMO and you will die many deaths before you learn to stay alive.

denis_469
01-18-09, 02:51 AM

I can said, that in my computer not enought for modding in SH4 engine. So I made for SH3 only. May be in future...

denis_469
01-18-09, 02:53 AM

try the ATO threads (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=234)and the UBM ad-on thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)for atlantic and uboat mods plus GWX info

as for not finding a challenge, try sh4 with TMO and you will die many deaths before you learn to stay alive.

About GWX for SH4 - i'm, sceptic. So I was place War Elite from SH3 to SH4. And computer was weak for running game total!:damn:

bigboywooly
01-18-09, 04:23 AM
this thread is very funny :rotfl:

take STOCK sh3 and compare to stock sh4 and sh3 is a load of crap with just as many bugs as sh4.

those who deny this are simply refusing to admit the truth.

sh3 has had a long time and has taken hundreds and hundreds of mods to become what it is today with GWX 3.

anyone who gives sh4 an objective new look with the mods it has available today will not have much to complain about. it is what you make it.

the truth is, if most of the critics of sh4 would get off their lazy duffs and stop waiting for someone else to make the game better for them, then they themselves could be part of what makes sh4 and the new sh4 GWX mod something special. all it takes is a little time and just a little effort for ANYONE to learn most if not all modding tricks.

just ask yourself this, if everyone said screw sh3 im not going to play it until 5 years from now when GWX3 is made, it would have never been made and neither would any of the mods you love today.

sh4 and sh3 are the same game files for the most part, they just have different game engines so if it floats your boat to only play sh3 then delete the entire sh4 files and replace them completely with sh3 files to take sh3 to places it could never go as it is. think about all the new modding possabilities that would present.

like it or not sh3 has gone as far as it can go and its fully matured in its old game engine so a tweak here or there is all your ever going to see from now on.

yep sure is
lol
SH3 may have gone as nearly far as it can go but still a great game to play

Not a question of not wanting to admit the truth
I detest the graphics in SH4
Pure and simple
No arguement over the game engine
Massive step forward

Have just spent the last few hours modding SH4 which meant having to start the game 40 or so times
Sure loading is fast but the minute I go to ext view thats it for me
Water can look great in a screenshot but while game is running just dont look right
For the Pacific it may be passable
But for the Atlantic not a hope

As said many times that my opinion
TBH graphics arent everything but they sure help

Not much point standing on the bridge of my shiny new uboat model if I dont like what I see

Each to their own and live and let live

Reece
01-18-09, 07:01 AM

take STOCK sh3 and compare to stock sh4 and sh3 is a load of crap with just as many bugs as sh4.Yes SH4 v1.5 stock & SH3 v1.4b stock, and sh4 is a load of crap with 3 times as many bugs as sh3.:yep:

John_Doe_16
01-18-09, 08:21 AM
What I miss most in SH4 are the interactive crew-members in the interior and on the Bridge...

It is really great to click on your engineer / navigator / sonar-operator.., have them turn towards you, and looking at you so you can give them orders. Very, very immersive! And the Watch-Officer on the bridge, too... "Contact Sighted!" - you go to the bridge, click on him, he looks at you, and you can ask about the details of the "nearest contact"... I liked this very much!

As they removed these great interactions in SH4, the interiors seem quite "static" and without life to me... There are not many places to click, which make them seem quite "empty", althought there are quite a few crew-members in them.

Also, the SH4 bridge-crew which turns semi-transparent in some cases (a well-known bug) doesn't really help to increase immersion...

The only thing I liked more about SH4 than SH3 was the possibility to have more crew-members in the Command-room by ordering "all men to battle-stations"... But as I said, without crew-interaction, this is not really all that great...

Would be interested to hear your opinions about this:up:

ReallyDedPoet
01-18-09, 09:31 AM
Let's keep the thread open lads and above bar. If folks don't have something constructive to say then don't post\say it.

RDP

Graf Paper
01-18-09, 09:53 AM
Based on the discussion so far, it seems the reasons for modding either is:

People mod SH3 because they love the game. :know:
People mod SH4 because they want to love the game. :p
You mod a game because you can. It's a way of taking a game experience and truly making it your own.

Modders represent the dreams of all those who have ever played a game and said to themselves, "I'd do that differently." or "I can make this better."

I could only wish I had even some of the skills of the likes of BBW. He carries on his shoulders the hopes and imaginations of every u-boat kaleun or submarine skipper.

So few have given so much to so many.

AVGWarhawk
01-18-09, 10:56 AM
People mod SH3 because they love the game. :know:
People mod SH4 because they want to love the game. :pYou will find that most if not all who are making the major mods for SH4 have not played SH3 nor intend too. These folks like the Pacific and SH4 provides the platform. So, it is not that they WANT to love the game, they do. I love the game myself and I loved SH3 also. Both games modded let the users imagination run wild. Modder assist in make it tangilble. But again, it is all what the player is into and the players interest are kept.

bigboywooly
01-18-09, 11:27 AM
^^ sums it up for many
Although SH4 is dual sided so you can play both

Find it odd no one attempted to mod SH3 for the Pacific
Many wont play the uboats out of principle - 9 times out of 10 the same ppl that kick you for not wanting to sail a fleet boat

As I posted earlier the game engine itself is a massive step forward and does open up many possibilities not yet touched upon
Am sure they will intime
Early days compared to SH3

That said
When have finished playing in the SH4 mission ed will be taking my IXB for a spin
In SH3 of course

So at least my SH4s not gathering dust :up:

Jimbuna
01-18-09, 12:11 PM
I continue to play both (SH4 for mod testing purposes mainly.....if I'm to be honest).

I continue to maintain two main wishes though:

1) I wish we had the same game engine in SH3 that is included with SH4.

2) I would like to see the Japanese ASW capability as challenging as that of the Allies.

That is one of the primary reasons for modding though......to make wishes come true.

skwasjer
01-18-09, 12:41 PM
It's all personal preference... SH4 has it quirks, so does SH3. Modders try to work around them. Sometimes, they succeed, sometimes they don't. The story of our lives... :lol:

Personally, I consider SH4 a far better engine. There's just more possible with it, with greater quality. Doesn't mean I curse and swear at it for it's annoyances. I often do... :rotfl:

Anyway, I can understand why people stick to a specific game. I played one game for more than 6 years (it also had a sequel that I never really looked at) before I started working with SH4.

PS: if you don't like the water or consider the overall look a cartoon, you can mod the shaders to suit your self. But this is in my opinion another reason why people shy away from SH4. The engine technologically improved alot and allows newer 3D concepts, and because of that it is also a more difficult engine in some respects. Until you actually try (and learn) that is... but hey...

Regards,

skwas

Carotio
01-18-09, 01:15 PM
I haven't played SH3 for almost a year now, but last night I booted it up with LSHIII plus a few of my own graphic and sound tweaks.

Immediately, I noticed why I left this obsolete game:

- very long loading time
- no radio, only a grammaphone
- at high TC, it's struggling to run the campaign scripted traffic

But then again, I also noticed a few things, which I have missed, like:

- crew ordering by clicking

I think people should play what they want and mod what they want.
But if for some reason, some modders don't intend to transfer their mods or mod work and creativity the one or the other way, then let others take up the lead.

urfisch
01-21-09, 04:13 AM
guys...

after many hours (which is a lot for me!) of intensive research and testing, ive come to the conclusion, many of you already stated:

atm the modding of sh3 still makes more fun! as there are so many nice mods, we know how to handle things in modding and developed sh3 to a state, which simply lets one have more fun during play, without having to mod too much. right...

but does this make sense? i dont know...maybe in some way. anyway. i already started to collect a bunch of mods ive made through the years and going to release them. as still many people stay with this game and do not switch.

but i recognized, seeing tomi fully been occupied by work for the gwx4 mod now - and leavin good old sh3, the end of sh3 is rising up the horizont. as others will follow or simply leave - like thomson, racerboy, flakmonkey, ducimus, diving duck and many other great modders...already did.

i think thats the way of time. and hopefully the release of gwx4 will be some kind of initial ignition...for many modders.

and i hope all the work that was done for sh3 (which is quite a lot!) is useful for implementation in sh4 and was not for nothing in the end.

IanC
01-21-09, 11:11 PM
sh3 is not longer the state of art. gameplay is fantastic, but this could also be part of the sh4 game...

We must forget and throw away one game just because it is not the latest engine? What kind of silly point is that? Aces of the Deep (1994 DOS) is still my fav subsim, how's that for state of the art.

onelifecrisis
01-21-09, 11:27 PM
I must say admire the way people have managed to stay calm in a thread with such a flame-baiting OP.
:rock:

Not that I intend to follow suit, but I thought I'd say that I do admire it.

and i hope all the work that was done for sh3 (which is quite a lot!) is useful for implementation in sh4 and was not for nothing in the end.

What a pointless statement. Everything is "nothing in the end" urfisch. But SH3 mods are something right now, to some of us. Why you should feel the need to come into the SH3 mods forum and declare that what the modders here do is (and I quote) "a waste of time" is beyond me. What do you expect will happen? People will go "Oh, now I see the light! THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY, URFISCH!" and start modding SH4? Get real.

Moderators, why is this thread still alive? Why wasn't it closed at first sight? What on earth does it have to do with SH3 modding? :nope:

Graf Paper
01-22-09, 07:45 AM
It's a good thing you're a modder and not a moderator. If threads got closed every time someone got offended or pissy over statements made by another, half of this forum would be shut down.

Without free discussion, there is no reason for these forums to exist.

Urfisch's statements can be taken as mere trolling, on the face of it, but the resulting discussion has been a very edifying and enlightening discussion as to why modders do what they do in regards to these games.

Certainly sounds like it has everything to do with modding SH3 and SH4 when you're exploring the thoughts and philosophies of those who mod and those who play these two sub sims.

Hitman
01-22-09, 08:17 AM
Errrrrr.....

forgive my lack of intelligence, understanding or whatever you might call it, but:

must say admire the way people have managed to stay calm in a thread with such a flame-baiting OP.

And then, just after that:

What a pointless statement. ... Get real.

Might be my german education, but I fail to see a logic and coherence in all that. It's great no flame wars have started, and then you start flaming the opinion of another guy?

All right, let's calm down a bit, I think I understand partly what you are saying, but still we can keep the thread as a civil discussion. No need to raise the tension up a few notches, every one has his opinion and there's no problem with that. That includes of course modding SH3 or SH4, and the thread has already showed a good amount of reasons why to keep modding SH3 is worth it. That is the kind of productive discussion we like, and I hope it stays in that line, or otherwise we will soon see threads lilke "Hey, why keep playing chess, a game 2000 years old, when we can play Super mario Bros in the Nintendo" :lol:

urfisch
01-22-09, 08:51 AM
thanks for pointing this out, graf.

right, i just wanted to start a discussion on that topic, to understand why so many people stay with this game and mod it further on. even as sh4 has the better potential and a tuned engine.

and its been stated in my last post, that i understand now why people keep on modding this game - i also restarted to mod sh3. and as some posters already recognized, i think its a very interesting discussion here. i do not wanted to flame...i just wanted to get some better picture on that topic and make people explain their reasons. no offense...dudes.

Wolfehunter
01-22-09, 09:06 AM
thanks for pointing this out, graf.

right, i just wanted to start a discussion on that topic, to understand why so many people stay with this game and mod it further on. even as sh4 has the better potential and a tuned engine.

and its been stated in my last post, that i understand now why people keep on modding this game - i also restarted to mod sh3. and as some posters already recognized, i think its a very interesting discussion here. i do not wanted to flame...i just wanted to get some better picture on that topic and make people explain their reasons. no offense...dudes.

:up:There are endless reasons why players will make the choices. Money, system requirements, simplicity, fun, personal tastes etc.

No two games are bad. But one game attracts certain fan and the other attracts another group of fans. :up:

ReallyDedPoet
01-22-09, 09:12 AM
All right, let's calm down a bit, I think I understand partly what you are saying, but still we can keep the thread as a civil discussion. No need to raise the tension up a few notches, every one has his opinion and there's no problem with that. That includes of course modding SH3 or SH4, and the thread has already showed a good amount of reasons why to keep modding SH3 is worth it.

When I first saw this thread my first inclination was to shut it down, in fact I have done so in the past ( similar threads ) with mixed reviews :88):88) Then I thought, why not have this discussion, as long as it was civil and constructive, and for the most part it has remained so.

SH3 has had tremendous " sea legs ", heck it has surprised the hell out of me as far as it's longevity :yep: I know because I have been keeping the SH3 Mods\Utilities Thread updated since last summer, and I have been kept active, so much that I had to close an older thread and start the current one that is located under my sig.

As far as SH4, it has been modded heavily since the beginning, other will get to it eventually. No harm done in the end.

RDP

AVGWarhawk
01-22-09, 09:15 AM
I must say admire the way people have managed to stay calm in a thread with such a flame-baiting OP.
:rock:

Not that I intend to follow suit, but I thought I'd say that I do admire it.

What a pointless statement. Everything is "nothing in the end" urfisch. But SH3 mods are something right now, to some of us. Why you should feel the need to come into the SH3 mods forum and declare that what the modders here do is (and I quote) "a waste of time" is beyond me. What do you expect will happen? People will go "Oh, now I see the light! THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY, URFISCH!" and start modding SH4? Get real.

Moderators, why is this thread still alive? Why wasn't it closed at first sight? What on earth does it have to do with SH3 modding? :nope:
I do not know bud, you tell me, looked good up until your post. Personally, this thread did enlighten others as to why some stick with 3 and not 4. Why some like 4 over 3. Read through the thread. There are numerous reasons. Did not see one bit of heat coming from anywhere. Everyone quietly and calmly stated their case. Some are that just more understanding why other dig SH3 and other SH4. Truly, modding SH3 is certainly "not for nothing".

kiwi_2005
01-22-09, 11:58 AM
Thanks for nothing subsimmers im sooooo disappointed :down: I spot the title and thought to myself AWESOME a flame fight in motion WICKED!!!

But what do i find, a bunch of gentleman behaving themselves :down: ;) :D :rotfl:

Just joking.

Nice to read some of the reasons :up: :up:

onelifecrisis
01-22-09, 02:38 PM
Errrrrr.....

forgive my lack of intelligence, understanding or whatever you might call it, but:

must say admire the way people have managed to stay calm in a thread with such a flame-baiting OP.

And then, just after that:

What a pointless statement. ... Get real.

Might be my german education, but I fail to see a logic and coherence in all that.

I said I admire it. I also admire people who can lift heavy weights attached to pins that have been inserted through their nipples, but doesn't mean I want to follow in their footsteps.

[following RDP's <snip> I've removed the comments that no longer make sense]

right, i just wanted to start a discussion on that topic

No, a discussion is what you got, no thanks to your choice of words.

Mikhayl
01-22-09, 03:02 PM
What if we say that "people modding Atlantic stuff for SH4 are wasting their time, they'd better stick to SH3 while waiting
for SH5" :lol:

urfisch
01-22-09, 03:03 PM
i would prefer "provoking", with well meant intentions.

anyway. i dont like it if my words are cut out the context. your definition of them turnes the sense i meant them. i never told the work is waste of time, dude. "-> compared to the possibilities sh4 gives us, its more or less a waste of time."

i would never presume to call the modding here nonsense! i was always a great supporter of sh3 and modded a lot by myself - from the beginning, til today. but it is in fact a waste of time, if you see it under the perspective of the best sim you can get. sh3 has nearly, if not definately, reached its peak. so a question, why people still keep modding this game is legitimate.

not? :roll:

many people stated their reasons. and i understand now, why many stay here. but this was already posted.

mr chris
01-22-09, 03:07 PM
What if we say that "people modding Atlantic stuff for SH4 are wasting their time, they'd better stick to SH3 while waiting for SH5" :lol:
All depends on when SH5 is released and the setting of SH5 and what enhancements it might bring.

Mikhayl
01-22-09, 03:22 PM
Urfisch, sorry mate 4 months ago already:

i thought about this the whole last weeks, as i finally have some time left to start modding again. and i came to the conclusion, that working on sh3 is a waste of time, since sh4 (better graphics, better engine, deeper gameplay, etc.) came with its addon and the possibility to play german boats. and since ATO (atlantic theater operations!) mods have been built, sh3 is no longer the topic to deal with.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=140771

And there was already plenty of answers as to "why", so why do keep going on the subject, what's the point ? Anyway it's already been re-discussed, bottom line is people here are old enough to walk by themselves wherever they want without someone holding their hand and telling them where to :)

Chris, yep true, just assuming that SH5 is in the Atlantic and does bring some actually new things. Otherwise Urfisch will have to ask "why people are still modding SH3 when we have SH5 ?" :p

Fincuan
01-22-09, 03:43 PM
What if we say that "people modding Atlantic stuff for SH4 are wasting their time, they'd better stick to SH3 while waiting for SH5" :lol:

That has been said here many times, along with SH4 being dead or just plain POS. Just scan this thread and you'll find plenty of examples.

ReallyDedPoet
01-22-09, 03:49 PM
I'll come back to this ^^^ as from time to time us Mods get this type of statement thrown our way, sometime it is warranted, sometimes not, but that is ok, comes with the territory here :yep:

Occasionally we are challenged from time to time to get our " shat " together so to speak, I challenge some of the membership
here to do the same :yep:

Sometimes threads remain open so that members here can find a way to understand each other & work things out themselves, that whole process is part of what makes this forum\site grow, move forward. When it does not, that is when folks leave, or similar threads get posted with similar topics, etc. Helpful, productive, not really.

So....this one will be closed for repairs and may re-open a bit later on ( a bit of a cool down period will not hurt anyone ).

Also, Hitman may want to respond, if so he will re-open it and do so.

RDP

ReallyDedPoet
01-22-09, 08:48 PM
Ok, re-reading some of the stuff here. This thread will be re-opened ( for the time being ) but folks need to get back on track, up until this page things were relatively productive.

Also, urifisch you need to get more consistent with your posts\threads, it is becoming difficult at times to follow all of this.

As mentioned previously, when I first saw this thread I went, ok, here we go again, but was pleasantly surprised, up until this page most posts were above bar. Then I saw a thread of yours " AI U-Boats " and thought ok, maybe he has toned it down a bit with regards to the OP of this thread. Then I saw this from your earlier post:

i would never presume to call the modding here nonsense! i was always a great supporter of sh3 and modded a lot by myself - from the beginning, til today. but it is in fact a waste of time, if you see it under the perspective of the best sim you can get. sh3 has nearly, if not definately, reached its peak. so a question, why people still keep modding this game is legitimate.

So for you it may have reached it's peak ( modding ), etc., but for other's it has not. As far as being the best sim ... whether it is or not is entirely subjective, so will you not get to far with that argument.

So back to the OP " Why Mod SH3 and not SH4 and see what some others ( folks who have not posted ) have to say.

@ other folks here. I have edited a few of the other posts, no need for name-calling, blah, blah, blah. SUBSIM is far better than that. I make no apologies for doing so. I did my best with regards to the edits, sorry if they look or sound a little funny :doh::yep:

RDP

Reece
01-22-09, 09:39 PM
Sorry you feel that way Urfisch, people mod any game regardless of age because they can & because they want too, if I got bored with a game I would shelve it, not play it and certainly not go to the bother of modding it!!:yep:
As a lot have stated they tried SH4 (many times) and just don't like it, so if you don't like it, & don't play it, why would you mod it!!:-?
Some people, like the GWX4 team, think it has potential and are currently modding it, when the first version is released I will certainly be trying it again, and so will a lot of others.:yep:
Oh btw, I'm sorry, but since SH4 has so many bugs, that even after all this time are still there, my faith in it's future is grim, just my opinion though.:)

urfisch
01-23-09, 04:03 AM
i would never presume to call the modding here nonsense! i was always a great supporter of sh3 and modded a lot by myself - from the beginning, til today. but it is in fact a waste of time, if you see it under the perspective of the best sim you can get. sh3 has nearly, if not definately, reached its peak. so a question, why people still keep modding this game is legitimate. Sorry you feel that way Urfisch, people mod any game regardless of age because they can & because they want too, if I got bored with a game I would shelve it, not play it and certainly not go to the bother of modding it!!:yep:
As a lot have stated they tried SH4 (many times) and just don't like it, so if you don't like it, & don't play it, why would you mod it!!:-?
Some people, like the GWX4 team, think it has potential and are currently modding it, when the first version is released I will certainly be trying it again, and so will a lot of others.:yep:
Oh btw, I'm sorry, but since SH4 has so many bugs, that even after all this time are still there, my faith in it's future is grim, just my opinion though.:)

true words...

so it all seems to end up in "like or dislike"...and i share this opinion. sh4 at its actual state is far from beeing as delightful as sh3. even the graphics seem not as good, as they might get one day. the potential is there...but it has to be used. and as i said before, hopefully gwx4 is a kind of iginition for a new age of modding. but...who knows, what comes.

until this happens, i will also keep on modding (and playing, if theres time) sh3.

Dowly
01-23-09, 01:14 PM
Thanks for nothing subsimmers im sooooo disappointed :down: I spot the title and thought to myself AWESOME a flame fight in motion WICKED!!!

But what do i find, a bunch of gentleman behaving themselves :down: ;) :D :rotfl:

Ya, came here too to check it out and was wishing to find a fight. :-? I miss them fights...

Fincuan
01-23-09, 01:17 PM
Ya, came here too to check it out and was wishing to find a fight. :-?

That's just becase you haven't posted in this thread :lol:

Fincuan
01-23-09, 01:20 PM
so it all seems to end up in "like or dislike"...and i share this opinion. sh4 at its actual state is far from beeing as delightful as sh3. even the graphics seem not as good, as they might get one day. the potential is there...but it has to be used.

That right there tells you haven't looked into SH4 modding very much. Seriously, check the mods forums. You'll see there's quite a lot more going on than just people sitting on their ass and waiting for GWX4 :up:

Jimbuna
01-23-09, 01:53 PM
Ya, came here too to check it out and was wishing to find a fight. :-? I miss them fights...

Ya crazy bugga :lol:

bigboywooly
01-23-09, 03:33 PM
Failing to slow TC or call out when spotting own or neutral ships is a killer for me too
Dont think that can be modded

Reece
01-23-09, 06:43 PM
Failing to slow TC or call out when spotting own or neutral ships is a killer for me too
Dont think that can be moddedSay What???:lol:

bigboywooly
01-23-09, 06:54 PM
Dont think that can be moddedSay What???:lol:

SH4
No call out - ship spotted etc - for your own ships or neutrals
All you get is a message in the box and no drop in TC

I can leave Kiel at high TC and just watch the box scroll up ship spotted ***** etc and stay at same TC
Only drop out of TC and get voice for enemy ships\aircraft
Which makes any other shipping a waste of time unless you live on the bridge to know its there

No atmospere there

Reece
01-23-09, 07:32 PM
Oh I see, I didn't notice that, gee that would be a pain for me, I always like to TC to the action, wouldn't want to forget and have a tea break, you'd come back and find out you've been around the world!!:lol: And your right, no atmosphere, without crew interaction etc it just doesn't feel right.:-?

bigboywooly
01-23-09, 07:38 PM
Killed more than 1 crew by blasting straight INTO port
Expecting a slowdown
lol
Test crews are cheap

Reece
01-23-09, 07:43 PM
Really to make SH3 almost perfect all you need is the transparent water & higher res!:yep:

bigboywooly
01-23-09, 07:52 PM
Really to make SH3 almost perfect all you need is the transparent water & higher res!:yep:
Tis a pity couldnt transplant the game engine
Thats the real killer improvement
Load times \campaign and unit handling
SH4 water doesnt bother me
Res changes are cool - never really noticed them till got a widescreen monitor recently

Weiss Pinguin
01-23-09, 07:55 PM
I would kill to have SH4's loading times. :( Water would be a nice bonus, but that'd kill my frames.

Dowly
01-24-09, 05:36 AM

Ooooowww, shhhhuuuuut up! I have posted in this thread!

Whaa? Didnt you just fricking love it to have a fight with someone, get pissed drunk, insult him, get a warning from a moderator, insult him and maybe the moderator again and get banned. Then you'd get tons of threads "UUH-OOH, WHY'S DOWLY IN THE BRIG!?" "Hang in there, we love you!" (imagine the scene from some movie I cant recall the mane atm, but it had the guy in the prison and his GF or wife put her tittie to the safe class thingy.).

I mean, what's better than having a good old fashioned forum fight? There's absolutely NOTHING that beats that.

So, moderators, unlock the huge fence between the SHIII and SHIV guys, take few weeks of vacation and let us go medieval on each others butts. (ok?)

Jimbuna
01-24-09, 05:57 AM

Ooooowww, shhhhuuuuut up! I have posted in this thread!

Whaa? Didnt you just fricking love it to have a fight with someone, get pissed drunk, insult him, get a warning from a moderator, insult him and maybe the moderator again and get banned. Then you'd get tons of threads "UUH-OOH, WHY'S DOWLY IN THE BRIG!?" "Hang in there, we love you!" (imagine the scene from some movie I cant recall the mane atm, but it had the guy in the prison and his GF or wife put her tittie to the safe class thingy.).

I mean, what's better than having a good old fashioned forum fight? There's absolutely NOTHING that beats that.

So, moderators, unlock the huge fence between the SHIII and SHIV guys, take few weeks of vacation and let us go medieval on each others butts. (ok?)

Haven't we met before :hmm:

http://images.onesite.com/my.telegraph.co.uk/user/spartacus/20070916212826.jpg

Dowly
01-24-09, 06:03 AM
Yes, I'm Dowly. You've seen me behave like an arse. Nice to meet you. :yep:

Hitman
01-24-09, 06:19 AM
Dowly.....you forgot again to take your medication :stare:

Dowly
01-24-09, 10:18 AM
Dowly.....you forgot again to take your medication :stare:

You sir, forgot to send the meds for me. Dont try to blame it on me. :shifty:

Faamecanic
01-24-09, 04:58 PM
Really to make SH3 almost perfect all you need is the transparent water & higher res!:yep: AND GWX 3.0 :yep: :up: :rock:

Weiss Pinguin
01-24-09, 05:25 PM
All you need is a few good men...

Or some hot girls :p

Reece
01-24-09, 08:23 PM
Quit with the cornball now guys or Dowly will have something to say!!:yep:

Madox58
01-24-09, 10:06 PM
And I'm still wondering why this thread is still open.
Urfish, Me, or any others are not going to change anything,

Each and everyone of the Modders are going to do what they
enjoy doing,

There is no issue as I see it.
Except to insult them and there work.
Let it go.
In the long run, We all gain.

ReallyDedPoet
01-24-09, 10:26 PM

It was closed for a bit a few days ago.

Here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1031438&postcount=135)

To be honest I was interested in seeing if anybody would post that already has not.
This type of thread has been posted here before and I wanted folks to get their thoughts out of their system.

But things seem to have gotten off track again, so the end may be near :yep:

RDP

urfisch
01-25-09, 06:24 PM
Urfish, Me, or any others are not going to change anything,

Each and everyone of the Modders are going to do what they
enjoy doing,

There is no issue as I see it.
Except to insult them and there work.
Let it go.
In the long run, We all gain.
i recently said, i already got everything to know i wanted to learn out of this discussion. on 8 pages this kind of conclusion can get lost...and it even seems no more anyone is beeing interested in dropping thoughts.

maybe i got you wrong...but, insult? for me...i never insulted anyone here. so please everybody, read my thoughts carefully, same way as you sensefully read the codelines you decrypted from sh3! ok?

and i am getting kind of sick, to be threat as the DUMBASS, who just wants to insult and blame sh3-modders for their work. so, mods...please close this thread. it really got out of track. and i am not willed further more to explain my position and intention why i opened it...

:nope:

ReallyDedPoet
01-25-09, 08:18 PM
Gladly :yep:

Next time a Mod here get's critized for shutting down a thread to soon or for not wanting to see members rise above their differences, come back
to this one, thanks.

RDP