PDA

View Full Version : SH Commander Wave Height

Lanzfeld
01-04-09, 04:38 PM
If I set the SH Commader wave height at 1.5 or 2.0 will this have a negative effect on the ships in GWX 3.0?

Wreford-Brown
01-04-09, 05:00 PM
Try it out and let us know!

owner20071963
01-04-09, 05:00 PM
If I set the SH Commader wave height at 1.5 or 2.0 will this have a negative effect on the ships in GWX 3.0?
Make sure you have the Latest SH Commander Patch For GWX3.0
If not Download It Here http://hosted.filefront.com/CottonSwabs
Hope this helps :arrgh!:

Larry U-136
01-05-09, 09:25 AM
Make sure you have the Latest SH Commander Patch For GWX3.0
If not Download It Here http://hosted.filefront.com/CottonSwabs
Hope this helps :arrgh!:

Are these the new files that replace the GWX 2.1 cfg files?

Lanzfeld
01-05-09, 09:27 AM
yes

Larry U-136
01-05-09, 09:30 AM
Thank you. Downloading them now.

Sailor Steve
01-05-09, 03:08 PM
It can sink the smaller ships in heavy seas, but the x2 is much more believable. The original 'Big Waves' mod was meant to get around the fact that SH3 winds can only go to 15 m/s, which is a fairly calm day at sea. With x2 you can pretend the wind is blowing twice as strongly.

The recommended setting is 'Seasonal', which makes it x2 in winter, x1.5 in spring and fall, and x1 in summer.

panthercules
01-05-09, 08:17 PM
I thought I saw a reference/statement somewhere during the GWX 3.0 install process or readme file or maybe just in the sticky thread that it was recommended that the SH3 Commander wave height settings NOT be used with GWX 3.0 (I think it said they would interfere with the GWX 3.0 environmentals or sensor settings or something) - was that an outdated comment or was I just imagining it? (haven't been able to find it again, but I could have sworn I saw it somewhere)

difool2
01-06-09, 09:32 AM
If I set the SH Commader wave height at 1.5 or 2.0 will this have a negative effect on the ships in GWX 3.0? It can sink the smaller ships in heavy seas, but the x2 is much more believable. The original 'Big Waves' mod was meant to get around the fact that SH3 winds can only go to 15 m/s, which is a fairly calm day at sea. With x2 you can pretend the wind is blowing twice as strongly.

Except it would be blowing four times as strongly for double the wave height.

Philipp_Thomsen
01-06-09, 10:25 AM
If I set the SH Commader wave height at 1.5 or 2.0 will this have a negative effect on the ships in GWX 3.0? It can sink the smaller ships in heavy seas, but the x2 is much more believable. The original 'Big Waves' mod was meant to get around the fact that SH3 winds can only go to 15 m/s, which is a fairly calm day at sea. With x2 you can pretend the wind is blowing twice as strongly.

Except it would be blowing four times as strongly for double the wave height.

And also the uboat will be more time out of the water or under it then actually on the surface.

difool2
01-06-09, 03:28 PM
And also the uboat will be more time out of the water or under it then actually on the surface.

Yep. And the Sh3/4 engine doesn't really let your boat slide up and down big waves realistically. Oh it can fake it pretty well (and some modders of SH4 have certainly improved how boats rock and roll in that sim), but that's different from sliding up the crest of a 40 foot wave.

FIREWALL
01-06-09, 03:49 PM
I thought I saw a reference/statement somewhere during the GWX 3.0 install process or readme file or maybe just in the sticky thread that it was recommended that the SH3 Commander wave height settings NOT be used with GWX 3.0 (I think it said they would interfere with the GWX 3.0 environmentals or sensor settings or something) - was that an outdated comment or was I just imagining it? (haven't been able to find it again, but I could have sworn I saw it somewhere)

This I'd like to see an answer to. :yep:

Sailor Steve
01-06-09, 07:34 PM

Yep. And the Sh3/4 engine doesn't really let your boat slide up and down big waves realistically. Oh it can fake it pretty well (and some modders of SH4 have certainly improved how boats rock and roll in that sim), but that's different from sliding up the crest of a 40 foot wave.
All of which may be true, but my personal opinion is that it's better than having the maximum storm value look like a Beaufort 4 gust, i.e. perfect sailing weather.

panthercules
01-06-09, 09:32 PM
This I'd like to see an answer to. :yep:

Well, I finally found the reference I was looking for - turns out it wasn't in the GWX thread after all (sorry about that :oops:) - it was in the thread about "[REL] Thomsen's Water V4.0 (10/12/2008) - The Pool results go live - NEW VERSION!!!"

I forgot I'd been playing around with that mod a bit before GWX 3.0 came out.

Sorry for the confusion.