PDA

View Full Version : joystick

tomoose
12-13-08, 03:16 PM
I did a search on setting controls for a joystick but no joy. All I found were a couple of threads relating to how difficult it was to fly the helo and/or the Orion.

My problem;
The game doesn't react to my trying to set the controls to use a joystick. I go into the air/helo section of the Controls setup and double-click on the appropriate function (i.e. I double-click on Pitch Up) and then manipulate the joystick but.....nothing. If I press a key I get a warning saying that it should be a joystick button and not a keyboard press. Round and round she goes......arrrrg!!! LOL. (And yes, I checked the manual, LOL).

It's not a showstopper, I prefer using the SENSO spot to actually flying but I'd like to get the joystick to work anyway.

Any tips are much appreciated, thanks,
Tomoose

Hitman
12-13-08, 04:28 PM
Stupid question, but: is your Joystick properly recognized and calibrated in Windows? If you are not sure, check the Windows control panel and select "gaming devices" to ensure it is listed there and works OK.

tomoose
12-13-08, 04:45 PM
It's listed/recognized and the status is OK in Control Panel. It works in IL2 etc so I'm assuming I can eliminate the hardware as the problem.:hmm:

goldorak
12-13-08, 06:02 PM
It's listed/recognized and the status is OK in Control Panel. It works in IL2 etc so I'm assuming I can eliminate the hardware as the problem.:hmm:

Why would you want to use a joystick ? DW is no flight simulator and controlling the helo or p-3 with a joystick doesn't add anything, it even complicates matters.
You're better off controlling them via the menu bar.

Tarrasque
12-13-08, 06:15 PM
Stupid question - Have you turned off the autopilot in game?

You have to manually turn it off via a switch in the cockpit.

tomoose
12-13-08, 08:41 PM
@ goldorak;
I agree with your point about it not being a flight sim. I'm just curious as to why in the Options, Controls it won't let me assign anything to my joystick under the air/helo section. Conversely it won't let me assign a key because it tells me it has to be a "non-keyboard" button aka a joystick.

@Tarrasque;
this issue is in the "setup" portion of the game (i.e. Options -> Controls).

I just got the game and am pretty damn impressed so far, this joystick thing is, as I said, more of a distraction than anything else. I know that skipping the manual and tutorials on this game is definitely NOT a good idea, LOL.

all the best for the holidays chaps!!:up:

goldorak
12-13-08, 08:52 PM
Enjoy the game tomoose, and be sure to have a look at subguru's website.
Plenty of interesting material to download, including the latest hottest items in the DW community, the Alfa Tau 3.1 mod (which includes a number of new playable units :cool: ) and of course a beta version of DWX (which also includes new playables :cool: ).