PDA

View Full Version : Confused on GWX 2.1 playable VIIC/41?

prowler3
12-08-08, 01:10 AM
I've read the GWX 2.1 manual RE the VIIC/41 playable sub. Was not the VIIC/41 available as a player sub in stock SH3? If so why does the GWX VIIC/41 overwrite the VIIC instaed of the available VIIC/41? The data folder for the VIIC/41 has the CAM file which is one of the clues I found that leads me to believe this was a playable sub. But, I also see where the line "HumanPlayable=NO ;;YES" has apparently had a "NO" inserted? The manual states that there is a limitation on the number of playable models, but if they were both playable before why not just change the VIIC/41 data?

I know I'm missing something that explains it all :doh: .

As it is, when using the GWX VIIC/41 sub mod, there seems no reason to spend any renown on acquiring a VIIC/41 when it becomes available in game...or have I again missed something?

Thanks!

nikbear
12-08-08, 02:02 AM
The VIIC/41 was available in stock sh3,but it just used the standard TypeVIIC model,the GWX playable model is different and was carefully crafted by cobalt to resemble the real VIIC/41 which did look different,mostly you can tell the differnce by the liferaft cannisters on the fore deck;)If you are using SH3Cmdr just select the VIIC/41 from there and there is no need to enable from the JSGME version in GWX,if not then enable the version in JSGME and it will apperar in game,it is gorgeous and probably one of the the best subs in game,you can take it to 280m's and beyond I'm told:o:up:

prowler3
12-08-08, 02:55 AM
OK Nikbear...but I'm still confused on why they didn't just mod the "vanilla" SH3 VIIC/41 instead of overwriting the VIIC?
I'm sure it's a fine job they did and I'm looking forward to sailing it when I can.

Hitman
12-08-08, 04:08 AM
Because with the stock game the VIIC characteristics are always used, the re was absolutely no difference between VIIC and VIIC/41, hence if you wanted to create a special VIIC/41 you had to overwrite each time the VIIC. It's teh same as what NYGM does when giving you control of the Type XXIII, they must do it at the expense of the XXI. You can replace submarines, but not add new ones, and the Type VIIC and Type VIIC/41 used the same slot in the game, hence no real difference between them, and hence the need to overwrite the Type VIIC if you want to have a different VIIC/41.

Hardcoded stuff, I'm afraid.:hmm:

prowler3
12-09-08, 08:43 AM
I think I see what you're saying. The GWX manual states that:
"Stock Silent Hunter III limits to the number of 3D models available for use by player-controlled U-boats..."

So it's the number of actual 3D-models and not the number of human playable subs (as I has assumed on first reading). Now I see why. And, if reality is important, I can just forego loading the VIIC/41, in JSGME, until it truly is available to me, in game.

Thank you much, guys.

danurve
12-09-08, 09:06 AM
Remembering the installation process of Cobalt's 7/41, and the work that gave the game my favorite sub. :up:

One could use the GWX `41 to give a 7/b an edge, then why bother upgrading? :hmm:
For the toys!

I typicaly don't use the `41 mod untill the table indicates it becomes available. For realisms sake. Which reminds me, does the game afford the `41 if your out of the 29th (LaSpezia)?

Murr44
12-09-08, 03:00 PM
The VIIC/41 was available in stock sh3,but it just used the standard TypeVIIC model,the GWX playable model is different and was carefully crafted by cobalt to resemble the real VIIC/41 which did look different,mostly you can tell the differnce by the liferaft cannisters on the fore deck;)If you are using SH3Cmdr just select the VIIC/41 from there and there is no need to enable from the JSGME version in GWX,if not then enable the version in JSGME and it will apperar in game,it is gorgeous and probably one of the the best subs in game,you can take it to 280m's and beyond I'm told:o:up:

I have GWX 2.1, JSGME 2.20 SH3 Cmdr 3.13 & Coblt's VIIC/41. Do I need to place Cobalt's sub in the appropriate SH3 Cmdr if I select it through SH3 Cmdr? If so can someone tell me which files I have to move around. Sorry if these are old questions but I have forgotten the procedure.

Thanks...:)

nikbear
12-09-08, 05:09 PM
I was informed that when the VIIC/41 becomes available you just select it via SH3Cmdr and not to bother enabling the JSGME one in the folder,I don't know if you are supposed to buy it in game first or after though:doh:

prowler3
12-10-08, 12:26 PM
I was informed that when the VIIC/41 becomes available you just select it via SH3Cmdr and not to bother enabling the JSGME one in the folder,I don't know if you are supposed to buy it in game first or after though:doh:

HMmm...more confusion.

Buck_O
02-18-10, 01:02 AM
hmm, i been looking all through forums & this thread seems to be the closest answerer or partially answer my question. I too use SH3 commander & I have also enabled via jsgme the VIIC/41. however when I try to run a campaign startin in the correct year & floatilla. I only get the VIIc...

what am I doin wrong?.. should I disable the GWXmod via jsgme?

JScones
02-18-10, 06:55 AM
If you have installed the VIIC/41 files into the correct SH3Cmdr folder (U-boat\VIIC41) then you do NOT have to enable it via JSGME.

Installing it into SH3Cmdr automates it, meaning it will only be added to the game when you need it (that is, when you are using it). In other words, if you are in a VIIC, SH3Cmdr will automatically use the VIIC files, if you are in a VIIC/41, SH3Cmdr will automatically use the VIIC/41 files. Further, installing into SH3Cmdr means that you do not even need to think about when it becomes available, as SH3Cmdr will manage that for you, based on the dates already stored within SH3 files.

LGN1
02-18-10, 09:25 AM
Hi,

concerning the VIIC/41 I have a question, too. In the GWX manual it is written on p.46:

'The Type VIIC/41 U-boat in stock Silent Hunter III had the correct capabilities and attributes, but used the same 3D model as the Type VIIC.'

This is in contrast to what Hitman wrote above and what I thought. I think that if you choose the VIIC/41 it just uses the files in the VIIC folder. So, it has the same capabilities as the regular VIIC. If you enable the GWX VIIC/41 mod, it just adds different *.dat files. So, I guess without the crush depth mod of SHCommander, both subs have the same diving depth,... Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers, LGN1

Buck_O
02-18-10, 11:59 AM
If you have installed the VIIC/41 files into the correct SH3Cmdr folder (U-boat\VIIC41) then you do NOT have to enable it via JSGME.

So were do I get these "VIIC/41 filese?

Installing it into SH3Cmdr automates it, meaning it will only be added to the game when you need it (that is, when you are using it). In other words, if you are in a VIIC, SH3Cmdr will automatically use the VIIC files, if you are in a VIIC/41, SH3Cmdr will automatically use the VIIC/41 files. Further, installing into SH3Cmdr means that you do not even need to think about when it becomes available, as SH3Cmdr will manage that for you, based on the dates already stored within SH3 files.

Also, can you tell me does SHIII recognize the VIIC/41 in game by giving it the correct designation, too..when one has the VIIC/41 enabled the way you mentioned jcones? ie. type VIIC/41 enable via SH3 commander=VIIC/41 in game, but designated via SHIII as VIIC...

Buck_O
02-18-10, 10:59 PM
In reading my post above I found it hard to understand:oops:. let me try and put it more simply.

My problem has to do with my attempt to start a new career using SH3 Commander. My goal was to play the VIIC/41 at its available date. So, I started in October of 1943, with the 23rd/29th flotilla out of Toulon.

The drop down in SH3 Commander says that the type VIIC/41 is indeed available w/ this flotilla. I pick it. I note that there is no uboat no. available in the drop down menu, so I'll let SH3 Commander pick the uboat no. for me, & I launch the game through Commander.

After the game loads I select the proper Uboat commander that I choose for this particular career. I also select the proper year of 1943. Finally I select the proper flotilla, 23rd/29th flotilla.

I then launch the career.

This is were I get confused. Im now looking at what I suspect is my flotilla HQ. In this room I can pick my crew & alter them as I see fit. I can also look at my career history, but since this is a brand new one , this section will be most bland. I can also access the dockyard form here, so I click it.

In this section I see my current Uboat and the many upgrades that I can do to it if ive the renown.

What puzzles me & is the whole reason for this post, :damn: is that my uboat is not the type VIIC/41 that I had so eagerly selected. No its the blasted type VIIC!:wah:

Don't get me wrong. I love the VIIC. Its just that I want to sail the VIIC/41. Well, after logging off and trying the whole aformentioned senerio over again, numorous times. I decide to lauch the mission anyway.

Once in mission I notice that the boat looks like the VIIC/41, but .... is it???
Ive yet to take her down to max depth of 320 meters. I would have done that before this post, its just that the whole thing really vexed me so..& I just had to get it off my chest here at the forums.

I would assume that if it survives the max depth test that it is indeed the VIIC/41 boat. Still, why the wrong name of VIIC when I was in port at HQ???:down:

I must also mention that upon exciting the game and then going back to SH3 Commander, the new career for my new Capt. says that he is in a VIIC/41:up:...

Well, someone is wrong thats for sure...who... remains to be seen.

A final thought is on what Jscones mentioned 3 posts above this one. He mentioned that I should put the files "uboat type VIIC/41" in the appropriate folder w/in SH3 Commander. Ive no idea about what "files" he is refering to. were do I get them? perhaps I already have them, & dont know it?? I did a search in this forum & found no specific files or mention of them other than his menion in this post....

anyway, if any could help id be much obliged...

JScones
02-19-10, 04:27 AM
What puzzles me & is the whole reason for this post, :damn: is that my uboat is not the type VIIC/41 that I had so eagerly selected. No its the blasted type VIIC!:wah:
Are you assuming this based just on the label on the SH3 menu screen? If so, then don't! SH3 refers to the VIIC/41 simply as VIIC. The only way you can tell for sure while in barracks is to go into the Uboat screen and note the listed Uboat types on the left of the screen. VIIC/41 should be listed and should be highlighted in a different colour. If so, then you are good to go, regardless of what SH3 might tell you anywhere else.

The other way to tell is to ignore the menu text altogether and simply load the game. A quick visual over your U-boat will tell you straight away if you actually do have a VIIC/41...but this assumes that you have correctly applied the VIIC/41 files to your game (either through JSGME or SH3Cmdr). And I can't help you with that.

Buck_O
02-19-10, 11:28 PM
thanks jScones, been very helpful :salute:

frau kaleun
02-26-10, 07:29 PM

Does this mean I can just take the "data" folder that's in the "GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub" folder in the MODS directory and put it in that folder in SH3 Commander? Or is it more complicated than that?