PDA

View Full Version : Radio triggers

Sandman_28054
12-07-08, 03:51 AM
I have found a web-site that will allow you to d/l radio broadcasts from the "golden age of radio."

Some of these date through the war years.

Question:

I'm listening to a radio broadcast of Abbott & Costello that was braodcast in 1943.

Entitled "At the Circus with Alan Hale."

How can one add these braodcasts to the radio and make them available during the year it was actually broadcast?

All these are period broadcasts:

Link (http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/)

And here is another list of files that covers WWII in audio from 1941: after Pearl Harbor; to 1944: before D-Day:

Link (http://www.authentichistory.com/ww2/news/1941-1944.html)

Some of these include President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "fire-side chats."

Would it possible to d/l these and make it so that on the date they happened, they broadcast over the radio?

And if so, would you tell me how to do it?

Thanks.

Digital_Trucker
12-07-08, 10:17 AM
Hey, Sandman. It certainly is possible to do exactly what you're talking about. The simplest way to explain it would be to have you download one of Fred8615's smaller radio station mods and take a look at it. The smallest one is a japanese station and it's at http://www.bts-mods.com/forums/index.php?topic=782.0 . I'm having a little trouble getting into the site at the moment, so you may have to keep trying.

Then, get the Radio Station Manager (link is in my signature) and install it. After you extract Fred's radio station and place the folder in your .....Data/Sound/Radio folder and make the necessary changes to the radio.ini file (per instructions with Fred's station) you can open up the radio station manager and see how the events are triggered. Basically there is an events.ini file and sound files in the events folder of the radio station. The events.ini file has entries in it telling the game when to play the sound files. The Radio Station Manager lets you enter the required data without having to manually change the files and it lets you pick the sound file you want to play without having to enter the file name. It will also check to make sure that each line in the events.ini has a matching sound file. This is very important since the game will crash when the date and time for the event arrive (in game) even if you are not listening to that particular station or even listening to the radio if the media file in the events.ini file record doesn't exist. The RSM also has an option that prevents events from being played over when you reload a saved game that you saved in mid-patrol.

Have fun building your radio station (and don't forget to share:D).

Edit : You might want to check with Fred, too though, since I believe a lot of that material is included in his radio stations.

Sandman_28054
12-07-08, 12:55 PM
The smallest one is a japanese station and it's at http://www.bts-mods.com/forums/index.php?topic=782.0 . I'm having a little trouble getting into the site at the moment, so you may have to keep trying.

Then, get the Radio Station Manager (link is in my signature) and install it. After you extract Fred's radio station and place the folder in your .....Data/Sound/Radio folder and make the necessary changes to the radio.ini file (per instructions with Fred's station) you can open up the radio station manager and see how the events are triggered. Basically there is an events.ini file and sound files in the events folder of the radio station. The events.ini file has entries in it telling the game when to play the sound files. The Radio Station Manager lets you enter the required data without having to manually change the files and it lets you pick the sound file you want to play without having to enter the file name. It will also check to make sure that each line in the events.ini has a matching sound file. This is very important since the game will crash when the date and time for the event arrive (in game) even if you are not listening to that particular station or even listening to the radio if the media file in the events.ini file record doesn't exist. The RSM also has an option that prevents events from being played over when you reload a saved game that you saved in mid-patrol.

Have fun building your radio station (and don't forget to share:D).

Edit : You might want to check with Fred, too though, since I believe a lot of that material is included in his radio stations.

Like you, I'm having trouble with that forum.

Thanks for the radio station manager file.

I'm going to try and work with this.

If I can get the thing working properly, I'll include the files from the links provided and if I can get ti working, I'll gladly share.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Sandman_28054
12-08-08, 06:57 AM
The site is back up and running and I'm d/l the file as I post this.

Thanks again.

fred8615
12-08-08, 09:47 AM
Yeah they were having trouble over the weekend, but it seems to be fixed now.

DT is right about how to learn to create your own stations. The best way is too look at one already done. But you don't have to download someone else's just for that. You can look in the Washington station folder and see how it's done there. The key file is the events.ini in the Events folder.

Sandman_28054
12-08-08, 11:56 PM
One more quick question.

I believe that the Radio Station Manager Mod says that files are limited to 1.5mb.

I cannot use files that are larger than 1.5mb?

Digital_Trucker
12-09-08, 10:47 AM
The only thing in the readme about limitations is 1500 events being the max for a station and you can only have 50 radio stations.

fred8615
12-10-08, 09:03 AM
The only thing in the readme about limitations is 1500 events being the max for a station and you can only have 50 radio stations.
I've been meaning to ask you: are those just RSM limits, or are they in fact game limits?

Digital_Trucker
12-10-08, 09:52 AM
The only thing in the readme about limitations is 1500 events being the max for a station and you can only have 50 radio stations. I've been meaning to ask you: are those just RSM limits, or are they in fact game limits?

Those are RSM limits. I don't know if the game has any limits.