PDA

View Full Version : Silent Fire Elite v1.5.0 & v1.5.1 (Final Releases)

Sub Marauder
11-30-08, 08:50 PM
Dedicated to the memory of my brother who worked many long hours to bring this mod to you. I've only posted the readme to the last version. The changes made were done by him days before his passing.

Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 – Silent Fire Elite v1.5.1 by Snaptrap

Directions: Copy the extracted Data folder into your main Silent Hunter program folder to overwrite the existing Data folder. To remove the mod, copy the extracted Backup files into your main Silent Hunter program folder. All other files are not needed. To use Silent Fire with old game saves, create the save while in your base quarters before loading the save with Silent Fire applied to your game.

Important Notes:
- It is not recommended to surface or turn at Ahead Flank or Back Emergency.
- Only fire homing torpedoes with the engines set to stop or they could home in on you.
- Be careful while using Ahead Flank on rough waters as it could cause your vessel to dip steeply.

RPS=Rounds per second MLS=Miles KTS=Knots MTS=Meters MPS=Meters per second

Torpedo Guide: All torpedoes travel at a depth of 1.5mts and arm at a range of 50mts. All standard torpedoes have two speed settings: 50kts & 100kts. All homing torpedoes have one speed setting: 50kts. All torpedoes have two pistol settings with Pistol 1 detonating on impact and Pistol 2 magnetically detonating 2mts from target. The default torpedo setting is 50kts with Pistol 1.

Changes from Silent Fire Elite v1.5.0:
- All crew medals removed to give more purpose to promotions and awards.
- All crew attack ranges have been reduced to a more practical level.

Complete Features List: (applies to all submersibles unless stated otherwise)
1) All shell types are now available to all gun types (AP, HE, AA, SS).
2) Automatically come installed with the best weapons and equipment available to them.
3) All upgrades, torpedo types, and extra sub models are free and immediately available.
4) Begin a American or German career with 100,000, 200,000, and 500,000 renown points.
5) Enhanced armour ratings makes you invincible but not to collisions with land masses.
6) Crew members will maintain gunnery positions even through rough storm conditions.
7) Crew have increased attack range with deck (8,000mts) and AA (3,000mts) guns.
8) Crew members no longer suffer from fatigue or damage.
9) Crew members have increased performance levels.
10) Crew ranks have no experience requirements.
11) Increased diving and surfacing speeds.
12) Increased torpedo firing depth (100mts).
13) Increased sensor and visual detection ranges.
14) Increased acceleration and deceleration speeds.
15) Increased surface and submerged speeds (50kts).
16) Increased gun turret rotation and elevation speeds.
17) Increased damage dealt from torpedoes and shells.
18) Increased periscope height and raise/lower speeds.
19) Increased surface and submerged turning capabilities.
20) Increased fire rates for deck (2rps) and AA (10rps) guns.
21) Increased u-boat decoy effectiveness and inventory (100,000).
22) Increased crash depth (100mts) and depth survivability (500mts).
23) Increased travel distances for diesel and battery operations (100,000mls).
24) Increased u-boat radar and sonar stealth capability (virtually undetectable).
25) Increased shell inventory (50,000) per ammo type and magazine (500) sizes.
26) Increased torpedo inventory in all internal (500) and external (500) compartments.
27) Increased ranges for shells (30mls) and torpedoes (60mls).
28) Increased travel speeds torpedoes (50kts, 100kts).
29) Increased reload speeds for shells and torpedoes.
30) Torpedo problems have been removed.

Special Thanks: To skwasjer for use of his Silent 3ditor tool and to Breakpoint Software for use of their Hex Workshop program to aid me with my Silent Hunter mod. To the Silent Hunter development team for making this fantastic game, and the appreciation received from those who found enough patience to allow me the time to make this possible. Enjoy! - Snappy

-Silent Fire Elite is dedicated to the memory of its author-
1971-2008

http://hosted.filefront.com/Snaptrap

AVGWarhawk
11-30-08, 08:51 PM
Very nice tribute:up:

Rockin Robbins
11-30-08, 09:16 PM
Thank you Sub Marauder. I still believe that Snaptrap's loss was even worse for the community than Leovampire's. Leo (Dave) had partners working with him who could carry on his work. Your brother didn't. Mostly he had a lot of detractors who for some reason thought he would ruin the game.

What he did was stretch the capabilities of the game engine to give those people modding reality an incredible amount of new information. What he did was open up Silent Hunter to a different kind of player, and widen the appeal of this simulation/game. Why do we serious ones tend to forget that it's a game? It's very purpose is to help people to have fun.

I considered his work at the time to be equal in importance to Real Fleet Boat and was trying to get them together over on the RFB website so we could all learn from each other. But before we could get beyond just proposing the idea, he had his terrible accident and it wasn't to be. Who knows what could have come from all the things he must have discovered while making Silent Fire.

Mostly, you're a hero here, because you didn't have to come back here and release his final work. It had to dredge up painful memories that are tempting to leave behind. But think about it. You don't WANT those memories gone. The pain is because of what he meant in your life, and although it will hurt less over time, I pray that it will never completely go away. For those who love him, the pain of his loss is a lasting testimony to what he meant in their lives. Thank you for giving us something to remember him and his enthusiasm for the game we love.

W_clear
11-30-08, 09:24 PM
If you can shoot better atomic bomb

Sub Marauder
11-30-08, 09:48 PM
Thank you Sub Marauder. I still believe that Snaptrap's loss was even worse for the community than Leovampire's. Leo (Dave) had partners working with him who could carry on his work. Your brother didn't. Mostly he had a lot of detractors who for some reason thought he would ruin the game.

What he did was stretch the capabilities of the game engine to give those people modding reality an incredible amount of new information. What he did was open up Silent Hunter to a different kind of player, and widen the appeal of this simulation/game. Why do we serious ones tend to forget that it's a game? It's very purpose is to help people to have fun.

I considered his work at the time to be equal in importance to Real Fleet Boat and was trying to get them together over on the RFB website so we could all learn from each other. But before we could get beyond just proposing the idea, he had his terrible accident and it wasn't to be. Who knows what could have come from all the things he must have discovered while making Silent Fire.

Mostly, you're a hero here, because you didn't have to come back here and release his final work. It had to dredge up painful memories that are tempting to leave behind. But think about it. You don't WANT those memories gone. The pain is because of what he meant in your life, and although it will hurt less over time, I pray that it will never completely go away. For those who love him, the pain of his loss is a lasting testimony to what he meant in their lives. Thank you for giving us something to remember him and his enthusiasm for the game we love.

This comment did more for me than you could imagine. His friends felt that it would be best to release the mod with the work only he did. There was a few things that needed to be reverted back to original state because of incompletion. This is the end of the road for Silent Fire though I hope that it carries forth to bring new dimension to this game. This mod helped me learn the game a great deal without the struggles. It's unlikely that I will be able to play the game like a pro but if it were not for his mod I don't think I would have played the game at all. Never would I have realized how much work goes into creating a mod had I not watched what he did.

Thanks for all your comments from past to present. What a great community!

Ron.

CaptainHaplo
11-30-08, 10:10 PM
Ron,

I only talked to your brother a few times - but he is missed. However, let me say this as well - your gift to the community is a great honor that he would be proud of. I do know this - he would be pleased not only with seeing it out there - but in knowing that you were an instrumental part of it. You watched something he enjoyed - an in many ways he gave that enjoyment to you to carry on. I hope that as you play - whether it be this game or another - you share that enjoyment as well. Thank you from all of us for putting this out there in his memory.

ReallyDedPoet
12-01-08, 09:06 AM
Very nice tribute:up:

I'll second, third and fourth that :yep::up:
Very nice.

RDP

clayp
12-01-08, 02:53 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your brother...I lost mine years ago..I take it that this program wont work in ver 1.4.....

Carotio
12-01-08, 04:39 PM
My salute to both you and your brother

http://forum.kickinbak.com/images/smilies/tiphat.gif

kylesplanet
12-01-08, 09:23 PM
Snaptrap was a great guy who is sorely missed. Thanks for the work bro, it means a lot. :up:

longam
12-01-08, 10:18 PM
Salute :up:

Sub Marauder
12-01-08, 10:50 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your brother...I lost mine years ago..I take it that this program wont work in ver 1.4.....

No, I don't think it does. We tried to recover the 1.4 version off his computer but he had deleted it. I believe he has posted it at FileFront except all of his files were removed until a decision could be reached on what we were going to do with those account. Sorry about that.

clayp
12-02-08, 12:01 PM

No, I don't think it does. We tried to recover the 1.4 version off his computer but he had deleted it. I believe he has posted it at FileFront except all of his files were removed until a decision could be reached on what we were going to do with those account. Sorry about that.

No problem sir,thanks for the answer....

Sub Marauder
12-09-08, 10:26 PM
I am making an attempt at learning this stuff so I can continue with what my bro had done. No guarantees though. Thankfully I have his notes to work from and inspiration since this was his first mod as well.

Ron.