PDA

View Full Version : Sub Skins still not "taking" with JSGME...

Murr44
11-29-08, 11:24 AM
I'm still having this problem & I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I'm using GWX 2.1, SH3 Cmdr 3.13, JSGME 2.20 & and I'm having a problem with GWX compatible U-Boat skins not "taking" (displaying in game; only the default GWX skins do). This problem only started a day or 2 ago. I'm using Vista 32-bit & I've read the JSGME help file regarding Vista issues (Run as Administrator & Select XP SP 2 compatiblilty if mods don't take). I've uninstalled & reinstalled everything twice now but the problem still persists. What's odd is that all the other enabled mods, ie. OLCE 2, Lifeboats, Torpedo damage, etc. work fine. I've emailed JScones but haven't heard anything back yet.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks...:)

piri_reis
11-29-08, 11:44 AM
Ok, the skins are sub type specific and my archives show a folder organization of:
/data/textures/tnormal/tex/blah..etc.tga files. (except the TypeII, it's got skins buried inside the dat I think)
Perhaps check the skin folder you copied into MODS..

ps: Mikhayl beat me to it :D

geosub1978
11-29-08, 12:44 PM
Interesting, I have exactly the same problem in WAC with VII skins (Miners, Koon'slightgrey). They refuse to repaint my Uboot. Nevertheless, in GWX they do...

Murr44
11-29-08, 11:52 PM
The skins that I've tried to enable (not all at once of course) are Fubar's GWX compatible VII's (med camo VIIB, U-552 low res, etc.). I've looked inside them & they all have the correct file & path structure for JSGME. The readme files even say that they work fine with GWX. What's weird is that they were working alright a couple of days ago.

Got me stumped...

JScones
11-30-08, 03:43 AM
Murr, I got your email; it's one of a few that I've yet to respond to. All I can do is eliminate JSGME from your list of suspects, as you state it otherwise works as expected. I can't help out with the specific mod in question as I don't use it and I'm not resourced to resolve issues with individual mods.

All I can suggest is that you make sure that the skins are specifically compatible with GWX 2.1 (or whatever the latest version is) and not just GWX, as just GWX may mean GWX 1.0 only. It's possible that the .dat files were changed between releases.

Having said this though, as you say that you had them working a few days ago, presumably with GWX 2.1, then I'd suggest one of two possibilities:

-Vista's UAC may be getting in the way. Where have you installed SH3? Inside or outside of Program Files?

-You've installed another mod which modifies the .dat files thus possibly conflicting with this mod.

As I don't use the mod in question, I can't add anything else. Sorry.

Murr44
11-30-08, 01:08 PM
As I use Vista on that pc, SH III (& JSGME) is installed outside of the Program Files folder. Since the computer isn't connected to the internet I've also turned off UAC too.

Here are the mods that I have currently enabled:

1) GWX 2.1 Minor Fix's 26 April
2) OLCE 2
3) Moon Reflections for OLCE 2.4.3 (does conflict with OLCE 2 but doesn't appear to cause any in game problems)
4) OLCE 2 Adjusted GWX 2.1 Crew skins
5) OLCE 2 Adjusted GWX 2.1 Enhanced Damage Effects
6) OLCE 2 Fixed GWX 2.1 Ship Reflections
7) GWX - Captain America's Officer Icons
8) GWX - Contact Color (tails)
9) Interior Diving Angles (GWX version)
10) Lifeboats & Debris v3B
11) Rowers for Lifeboats & Debris v3B (overwrites # 10 but doesn't appear to cause any trouble)
12) Floppy WO Cap Fix
13) Head4 (fixes triangles in crew's haircuts)
14) Q ship mod
15) Queen Elizabeth Armed
16) Red Night Filter (nav map screen)
17) Red U-marker
18) STz Sinking Ship Fix 2.1
19) Sub Image mod (based upon Fubar's sub skins for crew mgmt & weapons screens)
20) Torpedo Damage Final
21) Twisty Periscope Thingy Mod (compatible with GWX 1.03 but seems to work fine with default 2.1 VIIB/C U-Boat skins: don't if it works with VIIC/41, Type II's or Type IX's)

As I said before, all of the above seem to work fine when enabled.

Thanks for your time.:) I hope that I can get this sorted out as I have quite a few skins downloaded that I'd like to be able to use again...

Wolfehunter
11-30-08, 03:23 PM
mod 21 isn't compatible with GWX 2.1 or 2.0.

the DAT file is breaking your game. Its for type VIIC subs.:up:

You have to remove it.

Then your skins will work.

Skins from Type II's and XXI's are in dat files.
Silent Hunter III\MODS\data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat**\NSS_Uboat**.da t
Problem with Dat skins is if their not made for the super mods like GWX 2.1 they won't work or show.

Skins from Type VII's and IX's are in tga.
Silent Hunter III\MODS\data\Textures\TNormal\tex\*****.tga
Problem sometimes with tga in supermods. Some of them change the Dat descripsion tga names in them so they won't show.

;)

Murr44
12-01-08, 11:56 AM

You have to remove it.

Problem with Dat skins is if their not made for the super mods like GWX 2.1 they won't work or show.

Problem sometimes with tga in supermods. Some of them change the Dat descripsion tga names in them so they won't show.

;)

Okay, I have disabled the Twisty...Mod. The skins are still not being "painted".:-?

Wolfehunter
12-01-08, 12:08 PM

You have to remove it.

;)
Okay, I have disabled the Twisty...Mod. The skins are still not being "painted".:-?What is mod 19? Is that a fubar skin? Or your own custom skin? Is it a tga or a dat file?

If skins aren't showing its possible the description of the skin doesn't match the description in the dat files.

Also in the option in SH3 main menu go to Video setting, make sure you texture high quality is on.:up:

Goodluck and good hunting dude.;)

Murr44
12-01-08, 12:27 PM
I'll try re-enabling "high quality" setting in video settings & see if that does anything. Thanks for the help.:)

Kpt. Lehmann
12-01-08, 12:48 PM
A couple of the U-boat types in SH3 must have texture files packed in the relative .dat files to function properly/to show up in-game.

I believe the Type IID and XXI are likely suspects. Its been a long time since I've dealt with the matter for GWX.

(this problem is not related to GWX)

Murr44
12-01-08, 01:03 PM
It appears that I'm all sorted out now. I re-enabled High Quality textures and did a quick test with Fubar's med camo VIIB in the Museum & it works. :up: I think that my other skins should work again too (knock on wood).

Thanks again for all the help...:)

PS. I have the Fubar's reworked for GWX 2.1 Type II skins by somebody (can't remember who; sorry) & I believe that they should be alright too. I don't have any XXI ones.