PDA

View Full Version : Yes,another CTD!

nikbear
11-20-08, 05:53 PM
Getting quite hacked off with these things now:nope:game working fine,merrily doing patrols and altering nothing,if it ain't broke don't fix it;)But now,on this last patrol,everything started out fine but then all of a sudden things get laggy,FPS drops for no reason with nothing around me but open sea,the cursor become's unresposive as does the TC buttons and then the dreaded CTD,with the MS message saying.

App name sh3.exe App ver 1.4.0.1 modname:ntdLL.dLL
Modver.5.1.2600.5512 Offset:000104da

Now that make utter nonsence to me but better minds on this board may be able to help me out,any ideas or help greatly appreciated.thank you:up:

FIREWALL
11-20-08, 06:30 PM
I've seen this type of posts so many time and nobody reads and responds so I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

I'm going to try once more.

Everybodys advice is DRIVERS,DRIVERS,DRIVERS.

FECK DRIVERS. !!!! You have a memory stick problem.

This is your warning CTD call. Do a memory stick test.

Two GWX members helped me figure this hair pulling problem out.

nikbear
11-20-08, 07:06 PM
Thank you for your quick reply,I was wondering if it might be something like this(and dreading it:o)how do I do a memory stick test?and thank you once again:up:

FIREWALL
11-20-08, 07:16 PM
I have it here some where. Give me a minute and will be right back. :yep:

Got it. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Another: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/memorytest.htm

Good Luck :up:

nikbear
11-20-08, 07:25 PM
Thank you:rock:

nikbear
11-21-08, 03:13 PM
Now I don't know if I should be happy or sad,ran a memory test as suggested......and its fine:up:Which can only mean its something else:cry:Now what,any idea's?:hmm:

FIREWALL
11-21-08, 03:19 PM
I guess drivers ? :damn: :damn: :damn: :p :rotfl:

How many gigs of ram and how many sticks ?

Stick with me nikbear , We'll fix this yet. :yep:

She-Wolf
11-21-08, 04:31 PM
nikbear, here is a link which gives some possible causes for ntdll.dll problems

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/ntdlldll.htm

there may be something there that gives you a clue...

also look in the Event viewer log to see if that can narrow it down [Start-Run type in Eventvwr.msc] click on Applications in l-hand window and see what error messages in right. Double click on red cross to see what module has been faulting.

nikbear
11-22-08, 03:42 AM
I guess drivers ? :damn: :damn: :damn: :p :rotfl:

How many gigs of ram and how many sticks ?

Stick with me nikbear , We'll fix this yet. :yep:

Drivers all up to date;)2 gigs of ram,2 sticks:up:thanks for the help,it means alot:yep:

nikbear
11-22-08, 06:40 AM
nikbear, here is a link which gives some possible causes for ntdll.dll problems

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/ntdlldll.htm

there may be something there that gives you a clue...

also look in the Event viewer log to see if that can narrow it down [Start-Run type in Eventvwr.msc] click on Applications in l-hand window and see what error messages in right. Double click on red cross to see what module has been faulting.
Oh blimey Miss Wolf,thanks for the help:up:lots of little red crosses&error report things:doh:haven't a clue what they mean though,takes me to an MS website which doesn't tell me alot,or which I understand:cry:......That link you posted was brilliant though.thank you so very much.;)

She-Wolf
11-22-08, 07:20 AM
OK nik, pleased to help, but when you have time, go back to event viewer and work down the list of red crosses dated when you last had a ctd in SH3, and look to see what the message says in the description box - dont bother with going to the Microsoft link.

The fact that you have got errors in the application log suggests it is third -party ( i.e. SH3) rather then a system problem - unless you also have red crosses in the System event log as well......

If the errant module can be identified, then maybe folks here can apply their wisdom and experience into finding a solution. That is where the description box info comes in.

When I had this problem in the past, it came down to old savs and old profile which I had tried to continue from before modifying the game with GWX. Natch, one doesn't want to lose all that renown. As I recall, I had to bite the bullet and start absolutely from scratch...:cry:

There also may be work-arounds. I had a situation where I got a CTD because I was in shallow water and one of the boats hunting me had blown its back-end off with its own depth-charge. Each time I tried to approach it to have a nosey, I got a CTD... that was easy enough to solve, but maybe your situation is of that sort - the boys will know, don't lose heart, just give as much detail as you can so they can get an idea of what is causing the problem. :)

nikbear
11-22-08, 08:22 AM
Right,Ive defragged,reg cured,windows defendered,virus scanned,memory scanned andall my drivers are up to date, everything reports back as being fine:doh:I'm going to run the patrol again and hope it was a one off puter brain fart;)......if this kind of optimism doesn't kill me,then alchohol will:rotfl:thanks again for everyones help,it really does mean alot when your stuck:rock::rock::rock:

She-Wolf
11-22-08, 08:46 AM
nik, keep an eye on event viewer logs, both system and application - they will be a good indication of system state and where to look for problems. :)

nikbear
11-22-08, 11:32 AM
Well guess what,started the patrol again and........not a single problem:up:apart from me blowing a great convoy chance of HUGE tonnage,Fleet-tender,motorvessel,2 large merchants,3 medium merchants and to cap it all...HMS Rodney. All that in perfect conditions,choppy sea's,pitch dark,late 1940's and all I sailed away with was 22296grt:damn:...Well atleast its working so musn't grumble,you've all been great help,thank you:up:

kiwikapitan
12-12-08, 05:26 AM
OK since installing GWX 2.1 I've been having a frustrating time playing single missions.

I've tried various ones but is it normal to take 7 bloody minutes to load a single mission?
:damn:

Just about every time the loading bar gets stuck and then the inevitable CTD. From viewing my memory usage using Tuneup Memory Optimizer it seems I'm simply running out of memory. Just before it crashes my physical memory usage is almost 0. :o

I've got 2 gigs of Corsair RAM but do I need another 2 gigs to play the game? Page file is 3072MB. What are the rest of you using?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
2 Gigs Corsair RAM
XFX GeForce 7900GT 256MB
Windows XP Media Centre Edition

EDIT: Errors are kernel.dll and ntdll.dll

This is one >> Faulting application sh3.exe, version 1.4.0.1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x000104da.

kiwikapitan
12-12-08, 05:30 PM
Hmm no reply. :hmm:

Well since I last posted I have been testing the game and like any good troubleshooter I removed ALL mods so I had a completely 'clean' game and tried the troublesome single missions. They still take a hell of a long time to load but I was surprised to find myself not staring at an error message but riding on the high seas in my conning tower. :arrgh!:

So I suspect it is either the AOTD bugfix mod OR the community units mod causing the problem. Sadly I may have to have less ships in the game to sink but at least I'll have a stable one. More testing to follow... :ping:

mapuc
12-12-08, 07:41 PM
I ALWAYS get ctd when I'm engaging (an) aeroplane(s) either in the naval, singelmission or in "campaign"(forget the correct word)
It happen when i play stock
or with GWX or other mods

Markus

Madox58
12-12-08, 07:50 PM
If your playing Single Missions.
Why not JSGME in Blank Campain files?
Load time is decreased but the Mission still plays fine.
7 minutes is great for brewing a cup of Tea!

kiwikapitan
12-13-08, 06:21 AM
If your playing Single Missions.
Why not JSGME in Blank Campain files?
Load time is decreased but the Mission still plays fine.
7 minutes is great for brewing a cup of Tea!

How do you do that? Well I confirmed the problem anyway. It definitely was either the AOTD bugfix or community units mod. So now I just need to work out what the problem is. The single mission involves a huge convoy so I'm guessing when one of the new ships spawns it CTDs. :hmm:

Letum
12-13-08, 08:52 AM
Letum's tips to prevent CTD (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=881062&postcount=10)