PDA

View Full Version : I have some radio mod questions set up questions and require assistance.

I'm goin' down
11-15-08, 03:44 AM
I am not computer literate on the level of most others here, so I need some help with the radio. I think my post is fairly specific, so someone should be able to set me straight or on the right path.

My radio files are are located in c:\program files\ubisoft\silent hunter wolves of the pacific\data\sound\radio. The files are named CBS News, KHJ, RRG, DHB, Washington, and KNX. The radio file folder also contains an OGG file entitled "noise" and a configuration file entitled "radio." I pasted the configuration settings from the post by fred8615 dated August 1, 2007 in this forum into the aforementioned radio "configuration" folder, so I presume the radio channels are programmed correctly, assuming my the configuration folder is in the correct location.

I have also downloaded the files listed on fred8515's post dated August 1, 2007 to the respective radio station folders. The downloaded files are zipped files or archive files. I am not sure of the difference, and if it is not important, I don't need to have it explained. Telling me what to do with them will suffice if that is all that it takes.

I have activated RSM.1.2 and Radio Station Manager as mods, and enabled them with the JSGME application. Do I need both or should I delete one? The JSGME application is located in the silent hunter wolves of the pacific folder, not the data folder or the sound or radio subfolders.

Also I just noticed that I have a file called c:\program files\ubisoft\silent hunter wolves of the pacific\data\data\sound\radio that has only two folder in it and they are named RRG and DHB. They appear to be duplicate RRG and DHB folders and the contents of each folder appears to be duplicative as well. Should those be deleted?

I await the experts' advice and guidance, and will avoid the temptation of guessing the solution, which would have a high probabilty of leading to more issues and bigger problems.

I am not sure what to do next, and I do not know how to unzip the files to ensure they work with RSM1.2. I have not enabled Radio Manager, but I can if I need to. I thought RSM.1.2 would be sufficient but I really have no idea if I should be using it.

I have not unzipped any of the files yet. What do I do get the radio channels operating? Do I need to move any files and should I delete the duplicate radtio station folders identified above? Also, when I unzip a file, do I unzip it in the folder that it is situated in or unzip to another location? (I have never understood that either.)

Fish40
11-16-08, 06:17 PM
This is what I do. First, the Radio Stations Manager (RSM) needs to be installed in the SH4 root directory, same as JSGME. Create a shortcut for RSM for your desktop.

Next, D/L whatever Radio Station you want to a seperate folder for all your mods. I have a folder named SH41.5 Mods:yep: .

The next thing I do is to create a seperate folder for each RS I have. If you have BBC, create a folder and name it BBC. If you have CBS, create a folder and name it CBS, ect..

The next thing is to extract (unzip) the RS files to their appropriate folders. For example, if I want BBC, I'll find the BBC Radio Mod in my SH41.5 Mods folder, and extract the files to the BBC folder that I created. Still with me?:huh:

After the files are extracted to their seperate folders, open the folder. Let's take BBC for example. Open the BBC folder that you created, which now contains the BBC files you unzipped there. Keep opening each folder that comes up: Data, Sound, Radio, until you get to the BBC folder. Copy this folder, and paste it in the Radio folder in your SH4 directory (where Radio Washington is)

Each RS comes with a readme, which contains the "radio ini" info. This is the antenna, frequency, ect.. I manually copy this info to a piece of paper. I do this for each station.

After each station is installed in the Root folder, open up RSM via the shortcut you made. Read the RSM readme, as it explains very well what to do. Click the import button on the RSM. Your stations should show up. Highlite whatever station you want. A window is provided to input all the ini info.When done, click Apply and move on to the next. Make sure the frequencies are at least ten numbers apart, alter them if need be. That should be it. I know it may be a roundabout way of doing things , and if there's an easier way I'm all ears. But that's how I do it, and everything works great!:up: Hope I've been of some help.

I'm goin' down
11-16-08, 08:44 PM
Thanks. I am on it.

fred8615
11-17-08, 12:55 PM
For my stations (if you downloaded the versions on BtS Mods) you just extract directly into the Data\Sound\Radio folder. Then copy the channel info in the readme and paste it into the radio.ini. You don't even have to run RSM.

You should always read a readme file before you do anything! It not only contains the radio.ini stuff, but also installation instructions, adding the music info, and other things. Most if not all archive programs will let you open an individual file like a text file just by double-clicking on it. If for some reason it doesn't, just extract that file to a temp folder and read it from there.

As Fish40 suggested, you should put your archives in a special folder, not where the end extraction will be.

Sandman_28054
12-09-08, 09:18 AM
Ok, I have followed the instructions to the letter. Put the folder in the Mods folder, enabled with JSGME, and created a shortcut to the desktop.

I d/l the NHK folder and the files to go with it. I have the NHK folder in the Radio folder.

Updated the radio frequecy. And even using the RSM, it shows the station right where it should be.

Using the RadioStationManager ReadMe file, I have everything correct. I want to update my game in progress.

Here is where I have trouble.

It says:

Preparing for loading a saved game

Yada, yada, yada, When you press the "prepare staions" button on the lower left you will be presented with (at least) 3 screens. The first asks you to select the folder where your saved games are stored. This is generally "my documents/sh4". Select the folder and press OK and you will get this screen:...Here you can select the save file you are about to load, or, if preparing a new career...When you press the OK button, the application will begin preparing your events.ini files for your game.

After selecting the last in game save I had, and while in the process of this, I get this message:

Media File does not exist: Please correct

Digital_Trucker
12-09-08, 10:40 AM
That means that one of the media files for an event on the radio station is either not the same name as is specified in the events.ini file for the radio station or it doesn't exist. Once you click OK on the dialog that lets you know about the problem, the event that has the problem should be highlighted (the little box to the left of the event will be darkened). If you want to try to find the correct media file, click the "Search for media" button and you will see the files in the events folder for that station. Look at the name that was listed in the events and try to find the file that belongs to that event. When you find it, select it and click Ok and it's name will be inserted in the event line. Then do the prepare again until there are no errors.

If the media file you're looking for isn't in the events folder for the station, then you need to either comment out the event (put a c in the comment column) or delete the entry or your game will crash when you get to the date and time of the event.

Sandman_28054
12-09-08, 02:28 PM
That means that one of the media files for an event on the radio station is either not the same name as is specified in the events.ini file for the radio station or it doesn't exist. Once you click OK on the dialog that lets you know about the problem, the event that has the problem should be highlighted (the little box to the left of the event will be darkened). If you want to try to find the correct media file, click the "Search for media" button and you will see the files in the events folder for that station. Look at the name that was listed in the events and try to find the file that belongs to that event. When you find it, select it and click Ok and it's name will be inserted in the event line. Then do the prepare again until there are no errors.

If the media file you're looking for isn't in the events folder for the station, then you need to either comment out the event (put a c in the comment column) or delete the entry or your game will crash when you get to the date and time of the event.

Nope, same thing happened.

There are 9 files in the NHK folder, and 9 events showing in the RSM log.

Keep getting the same message: Media File does not exist: Please correct when I press the Prepare the Stations for game reset.

Well, I thought I was on to something, but I guess not.

I'll just disable the RSM and delete the file and alter the radio configuration file back to its original settings.

Digital_Trucker
12-09-08, 06:11 PM
Hey, Sandman. I don't know what's happening here, but when I downloaded that same radio station and ran the prepare function, it ran fine with no errors.

I didn't think about it earlier, but what operating system are you running and where is your game installed?

Sandman_28054
12-10-08, 12:29 AM
I didn't think about it earlier, but what operating system are you running and where is your game installed?

WinXP w/sp3

And the sh4 program is on the "C:" drive.

Specifically: c:/program files/ubisoft/silent hunter 4 wolves of the pacific

Now I am playing TMO v1.4

What I did is install the game, made a copy of the SH4 game patched to 1.4. Left it "as is." Made a "copy" of that in a folder in the My Documents file. I renamed that one "Trigger Maru", made a copy of that, and copied that back to the SH4 file in the c:/program file/ubisoft floder. Then I added by jsgme the "TMO" mod.

So I have 2 versions of SH4 in my ubisoft folder.

A stock version, and a TMO version.

I have no other Mods installed on the TMO version other than TMO.

fred8615
12-10-08, 08:59 AM
There are no missing files in NHK. I would've suggested your extraction somehow missed a file, but you said you did have them all accounted for. I wonder if maybe it didn't extract correctly, and RSM is able to tell that? Did you try reinstalling NHK? Do you have any other radio mods?

Digital_Trucker
12-10-08, 09:58 AM
I thought maybe it was a Vista thing, but that's obviously not the problem. If the extraction went wrong, perhaps the name of one of the files got hosed and that would set RSM off, but as long as the name is correct it wouldn't act that way even if the file was FUBAR.

When the error came up, Sandman, did you check to make sure that the name of the media file was the same as the name in the RSM display?

Sandman_28054
12-10-08, 04:03 PM
I thought maybe it was a Vista thing, but that's obviously not the problem. If the extraction went wrong, perhaps the name of one of the files got hosed and that would set RSM off, but as long as the name is correct it wouldn't act that way even if the file was FUBAR.

When the error came up, Sandman, did you check to make sure that the name of the media file was the same as the name in the RSM display?

Yep.

I had the RSM running, and I opened another window to the files and checked each one.

9 Files showing in the station manager, and 9 files in the main file, all named the same.

Go figure.

Sandman_28054
12-11-08, 12:36 AM
your guess is as good as mine as to what is wrong.

How come my computer won't run my Command and Conquer games anymore?

I think what I'm going to do is finish playing my career as is, then when Japan surrenders, I'll wipe out all my previous saves and start afresh. Then I'll load the RSM.

kylesplanet
12-11-08, 04:16 PM
I'm just throwing this out but the radio station that you have downloaded, is it jsgme ready? The later ones Fred did are not.

I had this problem once. If my memory wasn't so poor I could be of more help. I think I went in and manually edited the ini file. :hmm:

I'm goin' down
12-12-08, 01:31 AM
I am having a hell of a time with Girl In Every Port. They may be in everyone else's port, but they are not in mine. I posted question on another thread on that issue. Now, let's talk radio. I never got it to work. So I deleted everything and i will try again. If I am unsuccessful, I will be back with more questions. Sorry Fred, but I am trying to follow the instructions.

Munchausen
12-12-08, 06:40 PM
I keep notes on all my mods (they are all installed manually). Here's what I have on the few radio changes I've made:

1.5 \Data\Sound\Gramophone\: added big band music to the folder; the original “Gramophone_track” must remain in folder for phonograph to work.

1.5 \Data\Sound\Radio\:

“Washington” folder: instead of adding additional folders, standby folders (filled with other MP3 music files) can be renamed to “Washington” as required; both the original "Radio_track" and the original "Events" folder must be in whatever folder is being used as the "Washington" radio station. Note: The number of channels has been increased (see “radio.cfg”).

Radio.cfg: added nine more channels, all accessing the “Washington” folder; this way, there’s no need to further split up the music into different folders. Note: This file also defines reception range and limits broadcast to specific time periods.

Here's what my "Radio.cfg" now looks like:

[GENERAL]
RadioRealism=Yes
StartCh=1

[CHANNEL]
;Name=Washington
Name=Hawaii
Folder=Washington
Freq=22
;Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:44.16,-35.10:100000
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:21.00,-158.00:6000
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 0.01 to 1
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.4
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx. 2600nm

[CHANNEL]
Name=Midway Island
Folder=\Washington
Freq=36
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:28.00,179.00:2800
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx. 1400nm

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Tokyo
;Folder=Tokyo
;Freq=56
;Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:36.00,140.00:7800
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx. 3600nm

[CHANNEL]
Name=Sydney
Folder=\\Washington
Freq=67
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:-24.00,133.00:3700
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

[CHANNEL]
Name=Singapore Radio
Folder=\\\Washington
Freq=107
Antenna=01.01.1930-13.02.1942:1.00,104.00:1800
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Singapore xx108.20xx
;Folder=\Tokyo
;Freq=108
;Antenna=15.02.1942-15.08.1945:1.00,104.00:1800
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

[CHANNEL]
Name=Manila
Folder=\\\\Washington
Freq=135
Antenna=01.01.1930-02.01.1942:15.00,121.00:1600
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Manila xx136.80xx
;Folder=\\Tokyo
;Freq=136
;Antenna=04.01.1942-28.10.1944:15.00,121.00:1600
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

[CHANNEL]
Name=Leyte Radio
Folder=\\\\\Washington
Freq=137
Antenna=01.11.1944-01.01.2000:12.50,124.50:2000
;approx 900nm
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Guadalcanal xx168.90xx
;Folder=\\\Tokyo
;Freq=168
;Antenna=03.05.1942-07.08.1942:-10.00,160.00:1100
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx 500nm

[CHANNEL]
Name=AFR Guadalcanal
Folder=\\\\\\Washington
Freq=169
Antenna=09.08.1942-01.01.2000:-10.00,160.00:1100
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx 500nm

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Bougainville xx184.10xx
;Folder=\\\\Tokyo
;Freq=184
;Antenna=01.01.1930-13.11.1943:-2.00,152.00:1100
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

[CHANNEL]
Name=AFR Bougainville
Folder=\\\\\\\Washington
Freq=185
Antenna=15.11.1943-01.01.2000:-2.00,152.00:1100
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Saipan xx203.40xx
;Folder=\\\\\Tokyo
;Freq=203
;Antenna=01.01.1930-15.06.1944:15.00,146.00:1500
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx 750nm

[CHANNEL]
Name=AFR Saipan
Folder=\\\\\\\\Washington
Freq=204
Antenna=17.06.1944-01.01.2000:15.00,146.00:1500
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01
;approx 750nm

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Iwo Jima xx255.20xx
;Folder=\\\\\\Tokyo
;Freq=255
;Antenna=01.01.1930-21.02.1945:26.00,140.00:1100
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

[CHANNEL]
Name=AFR Iwo Jima
Folder=\\\\\\\\\Washington
Freq=256
Antenna=23.02.1945-01.01.2000:26.00,140.00:1100
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

;[CHANNEL]
;Name=Okinawa xx280.60xx
;Folder=\\\\\\\Tokyo
;Freq=280
;Antenna=01.01.1930-29.03.1945:29.00,127.00:1100
;MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

[CHANNEL]
Name=AFR Okinawa
Folder=\\\\\\\\\\Washington
Freq=281
Antenna=01.04.1945-01.01.2000:29.00,127.00:1100
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01

:shifty: No Tokyo music yet ... all the stuff I can find is of too high a bit rate.

Sandman_28054
12-14-08, 02:30 AM
I'm just throwing this out but the radio station that you have downloaded, is it jsgme ready? The later ones Fred did are not.

I had this problem once. If my memory wasn't so poor I could be of more help. I think I went in and manually edited the ini file. :hmm:

What I downloaded was RSM 1.2 from here:

Link (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120510)

Is this the wrong one?

Digital_Trucker
12-14-08, 10:21 AM

Is this the wrong one?
That's the radio station manager. It helps with installing and managing the radio stations. The stations, themselves are better installed manually instead of via JSGME, since they would take up twice the space if used with JSGME (once in the mods folder and once in the game). SInce the radio stations can get quite large, it's best to install them manually.

I'm goin' down
12-14-08, 04:16 PM
I extracted the zipped KPO files to a folder I labeled "NBC" loacated the Data/Sound/Radio folder, where the CBS folder is located. When I activated the Radio Station Mod via JSGME, the program opened per the read me.. I started following the instructions and got diverted before I got very far, so I closed the program and now I cannot open it. I cannot locate the file I am supposed to open to make it reappear (i.e. I can't find it). Since I will be downloading radio station files at different times, I will input them into the RSM at different times. Thus, I need to be able to access the program referenced in the readme instructions. How do I find it?

Digital_Trucker
12-14-08, 05:39 PM
It should be in the main install folder of the game (the same folder as SH4.exe). It is named RadioStationManager.exe. Once you find it, create a shortcut on your desktop for it and you won't lose it again:D. It should have an icon of a grey radio tower with waves coming out from the tip.

I'm goin' down
12-14-08, 10:27 PM
I got the radio file to open. I tried to install KPO. I used the start date from data in the events log and the end date from the daa in the events log, taking the start date from 1941 and end date from 1945. How do I real the antenna to get the longitute, latitude, etc.? Once I am done with that, do I check the "apply" button? Then what happens? Do I click the import button to make the event files show up on the bottom of the screen? Do I browse to find the files first? I am unclear on the concept.

Your instructions assume that the installer knows the answers to the above questions, but I have never had experience with this program, so I am venturing into new ground. I think I am getting close to having this solved, but I am not quite there yet.

I'm goin' down
12-14-08, 10:47 PM
What do I enter as value on news for KPO? Also, is the program that I am entering the information into the .ini file that you mention? The only .ini file I see is the one marked old .ini file in Radio Station Manager. Plus, I cannot open that file to cut and paste the channel information.

Sandman_28054
12-15-08, 03:48 AM

Is this the wrong one?
That's the radio station manager. It helps with installing and managing the radio stations. The stations, themselves are better installed manually instead of via JSGME, since they would take up twice the space if used with JSGME (once in the mods folder and once in the game). SInce the radio stations can get quite large, it's best to install them manually.

Well. like I said, all I did was enable the RSM through JSGME. And then added a "shortcut" to the desktop.

I manually made a file and titled it "NHK". Then I placed all 9 files in the NHK folder in the C:/program files/ubisoft/silenthunter4wolvesofthepacific/data/sound/radio folder.

I added the frequency just like it was said in the readme file.

I followed the instructions to the letter.

Just don't know what else to do.

Sorry for being a pest, I don't mean to.

Digital_Trucker
12-15-08, 09:36 AM

Is this the wrong one?
Well. like I said, all I did was enable the RSM through JSGME. And then added a "shortcut" to the desktop.

I manually made a file and titled it "NHK". Then I placed all 9 files in the NHK folder in the C:/program files/ubisoft/silenthunter4wolvesofthepacific/data/sound/radio folder.

You're not a pest, so don't worry about that.:D When you say you placed all 9 files in the NHK folder, are you referring to the files that you downloaded? If so, those are compressed sections of all the files,so that won't work. You need to decompress those files first before you put them in the NHK folder. I'm not sure whether Fred uses .rar or .zip off the top of my head, but WinRAR will handle either.

Digital_Trucker
12-15-08, 09:48 AM
I got the radio file to open. I tried to install KPO. I used the start date from data in the events log and the end date from the daa in the events log, taking the start date from 1941 and end date from 1945. How do I real the antenna to get the longitute, latitude, etc.? Once I am done with that, do I check the "apply" button? Then what happens? Do I click the import button to make the event files show up on the bottom of the screen? Do I browse to find the files first? I am unclear on the concept.

Your instructions assume that the installer knows the answers to the above questions, but I have never had experience with this program, so I am venturing into new ground. I think I am getting close to having this solved, but I am not quite there yet.

The instructions in the readme tell you step by step what to do, but it doesn't give you the information to enter because that depends on the radio station. If you look at the readme for the radio station, the data to put into the radio.ini file should be there.

What do I enter as value on news for KPO? Also, is the program that I am entering the information into the .ini file that you mention? The only .ini file I see is the one marked old .ini file in Radio Station Manager. Plus, I cannot open that file to cut and paste the channel information.
The value on news is to decrease the volume of the music when a news event plays. If you set it to 0.1, then the music volume goes down to 10% when a news event plays. The program enters data into the radio.ini file and into the events.ini file for the radio station you are working on. The radio.ini file is located in the .../Data/Sound/Radio folder. The events.ini file is located in the ..../Data/Sound/Radio/RadioStation folder (replace RadioStation with the name of the folder that the radio station is in).

fred8615
12-15-08, 11:36 AM
The simplest solution is to copy the info from the readme and paste it into the radio.ini file. Once that is done and saved, you're good to go. You don't need to use RSM to set up my stations. Only if you need to edit them, or for the saved game bug. Everything is already set up. Just pick which frequencey set you want to use, generic or real. FYI, you cannot use both.

I'm goin' down
12-15-08, 01:03 PM
I do not see an ini file in my sound folder.

I looked in data/sound/radio and found the following folders:
Washington
KPO
radio
noise
radio.old.ini

I cannot open either of the noise or the radio.old.ini files. The Washington and KPO files contain the events folder.

However, the radio file DOES NOT IDENTIFY ITSELF AS AN .INI FILE. When I open it, it says Notepad. It contains, contains the following:

[GENERAL]
RadioRealism=Yes
StartCh=1
[CHANNEL]
Name=Washington
Folder=Washington
Freq=22
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:44.16,-35.10:100000
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.4

[CHANNEL]
Name=KPO @20 (NBC)
Folder=KPO @20 (NBC)
Freq=38.41
Antenna=02.12.1941-08.2.1945 :37.78 , 38.42:100000
MusicVolumeOnNews=.01

I TURNED ON THE RADIO IN 1943 TO CHECK AND SEE IF KPO WAS WORKING. THE RADIO DIAL IDENTIFIED KPO AT FREGUENCY 38.41, BUT DID NOT BROADCAST. MAYBE IT WAS NOT BROADCASTING AT THE TIME? IF THIS IS THE RIGHT SET UP, THEN I WILL COPY THE OTHER RADIO STATION INFORMATION TO THIS FILE AND BEGIN DOWNLOADING THE DATA FOR THE OTHER STATIONS. I MAY HAVE SET IT UP CORRECTLY, BUT I AM UNCERTAIN BECAUSE I DID NOT HEAR THE STATION BROADCASTING.

fred8615
12-15-08, 02:45 PM
I do not see an ini file in my sound folder.

I looked in data/sound/radio and found the following folders:
Washington
KPO
radio
noise
radio.old.ini

I cannot open either of the noise or the radio.old.ini files. The Washington and KPO files contain the events folder.

However, the radio file DOES NOT IDENTIFY ITSELF AS AN .INI FILE. When I open it, it says Notepad. It contains, contains the following:

[GENERAL]
RadioRealism=Yes
StartCh=1
[CHANNEL]
Name=Washington
Folder=Washington
Freq=22
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:44.16,-35.10:100000
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.4

[CHANNEL]
Name=KPO @20 (NBC)
Folder=KPO @20 (NBC)
Freq=38.41
Antenna=02.12.1941-08.2.1945 :37.78 , 38.42:100000
MusicVolumeOnNews=.01

I TURNED ON THE RADIO IN 1943 TO CHECK AND SEE IF KPO WAS WORKING. THE RADIO DIAL IDENTIFIED KPO AT FREGUENCY 38.41, BUT DID NOT BROADCAST. MAYBE IT WAS NOT BROADCASTING AT THE TIME? IF THIS IS THE RIGHT SET UP, THEN I WILL COPY THE OTHER RADIO STATION INFORMATION TO THIS FILE AND BEGIN DOWNLOADING THE DATA FOR THE OTHER STATIONS. I MAY HAVE SET IT UP CORRECTLY, BUT I AM UNCERTAIN BECAUSE I DID NOT HEAR THE STATION BROADCASTING.
First off, a question: are you using Vista or XP?

Now the reason you can't see the radio.ini file is because you have your folder setup to hide some extentions, .ini being one of them. The radio file that opens in Notepad is the one you want. As I said earlier, copy the info from the readme for the KPO station. You have to decide if you want the generic frequencies (38.**) or the real AM frequencies (680.**). You will notice there are actually five stations, one for each year. This is done for the music. Just copy the the stuff BETWEEN the astericks for the chosen frequencies; open the radio file; then paste OVER the KPO info you have already. Save, and you're done!

Almost, that is.:D In order to hear anything inbetween the time and date of a scritped event from the Events folder, you need to put music in the year folders inside KPO. Don't put music in KPO only, or in Events as it won't play from there. It has to be in each year folder. Note also that each year station *only* plays during that particuler year ingame. For instance, the 1943 station only plays during 1943. Not before, not after.

If you need anything more, just ask.

I'm goin' down
12-15-08, 10:12 PM
I went to folder option in the control panel and unchecked the box that hid file extensions. The radio file became radio.ini. (Finally!) I copied your post in the radio station mod file with the input data for the various stations into radio.ini. and reloaced the data already in that file.

I have downloaded and extracted the radio station files into their respective folders in the radio file. I am in the midst of downloading the remaining rado station files. When I extract them to their station folders in the radio file, it looks like I am set to go.

I also followed your instructions to set up the radio for events prior to 12/7/41.

I will play the radio later this evening to verify the downloads and setting up of the radio station files and mod is working.

Once I get it working, I will download music.

I am almost there! (I think)

Sandman_28054
12-16-08, 03:31 AM

Is this the wrong one?

You're not a pest, so don't worry about that.:D When you say you placed all 9 files in the NHK folder, are you referring to the files that you downloaded? If so, those are compressed sections of all the files,so that won't work. You need to decompress those files first before you put them in the NHK folder. I'm not sure whether Fred uses .rar or .zip off the top of my head, but WinRAR will handle either.

Yea, I decompressed them.

They were .rar, I decompressed them to a fold in my documents entitled "NHK", then I copied that folder to the radio file.

There are 9 win media player files there, and one events configuration file.

Digital_Trucker
12-16-08, 10:32 AM
What you should have is a folder named NHK in the ....Data/Sound/Radio folder. Inside that, you should have a folder named Events. Inside that you should have the 9 media files and the events.ini file. Make sure that you don't have an extra folder level. Depending on how the file is compressed and how it is decompressed, sometimes you can have either one folder too many or one folder too few. Unless you put some music files in the folder ....Data/Sound/Radio/NHK folder, you won't hear anything on the radio until one of the 9 events is triggered.

I'm goin' down
12-16-08, 06:20 PM
I have done about everything wrong that can be done with the radio mod. Digital Trucker's post immediately preceding this one solved my problem. Finally!:p

Note: My problem was the same as Sandman's. I created individual folders in the radio folder for each station. I think that was a mistake. As a result, when I extracted the rar files for the various stations to their respective radio station folders, the files for radio station NHK were extracted and installed in a subfolder in the NHK folder that also happened to be named "NHK". Per Digital Trucker's post, I deleted the NHK subfolder in the NHK folder. But (and this is important) before I deleted it, I moved the contents of the subfolder that I intended to delete (i.e. the radio.ini file, the Readme file, and the nine muisc files) to the main NHK folder. That seemed to do the trick, as I am picking up the station. YIPPEE! If it worked for me, it should work for the Sandman.

I prepeated the same exercise for each of my individual radio station subfolders, as they were all set up the same, incorrect way. As my crew said, "We got radio!"

If I have restated any of this incorrectly, I am sure Digital Trucker will set me straight. My god, that was a pain in the butt, but I did learn a thing or two.

I'm goin' down
12-16-08, 06:58 PM
That is one hell of a cool mod. Amazing in a sense. Thanks for creating it and helping me figure out to get it up and running (I said as I crossed my fingers for good luck).

Sandman_28054
12-17-08, 01:34 AM
I have done about everything wrong that can be done with the radio mod. Digital Trucker's post immediately preceding this one solved my problem. Finally!:p

Note: My problem was the same as Sandman's. I created individual folders in the radio folder for each station. I think that was a mistake. As a result, when I extracted the rar files for the various stations to their respective radio station folders, the files for radio station NHK were extracted and installed in a subfolder in the NHK folder that also happened to be named "NHK". Per Digital Trucker's post, I deleted the NHK subfolder in the NHK folder. But (and this is important) before I deleted it, I moved the contents of the subfolder that I intended to delete (i.e. the radio.ini file, the Readme file, and the nine muisc files) to the main NHK folder. That seemed to do the trick, as I am picking up the station. YIPPEE! If it worked for me, it should work for the Sandman.

I prepeated the same exercise for each of my individual radio station subfolders, as they were all set up the same, incorrect way. As my crew said, "We got radio!"

If I have restated any of this incorrectly, I am sure Digital Trucker will set me straight. My god, that was a pain in the butt, but I did learn a thing or two.

Nope, in mine, I have folders for 4 "stations."

Named for each one.

The folder after clicking on those is an "events" folder, and a Configuration readme file.

The lone exception is the KPO (?) file where I have 5 subfolders, one for the years 1941-1945. (I think that is the right one)

In the events folder is the individuals files extracted from the .rar file.

I've ran into the "subfolder" problem before using SH3 so I was very careful to check for that.

I don't know.

Got me stumped.

Glad you got yours working though.

I'm goin' down
12-17-08, 01:59 AM
it sounds like you set it up right. Your data file is th main sh4 folder? Turn on the radio and check and see if you have any stations besides Washington. The honolulu station should be around 16.0. Also, go into a campaign for 1943 for example and see if you get any stations. If not, I cannot be of further help. Fred or Digital Trucker would need to weigh in with advice. (Make sure that you copied the data for all of stations from fred's post and installed it in the radio.ini file. If you don't copy it correctly that can cause problems from what I have read.) Good luck.

fred8615
12-17-08, 09:07 AM
Nope, in mine, I have folders for 4 "stations."

Named for each one.

The folder after clicking on those is an "events" folder, and a Configuration readme file.

The lone exception is the KPO (?) file where I have 5 subfolders, one for the years 1941-1945. (I think that is the right one)

In the events folder is the individuals files extracted from the .rar file.

I've ran into the "subfolder" problem before using SH3 so I was very careful to check for that.

I don't know.

Got me stumped.

Glad you got yours working though.
Setup sounds right. Did you copy the channel info from the readmes to radio.ini? Did you put any music in the stations?

Wilcke
12-17-08, 10:19 AM
Wow, nice work getting it running! Fred's work is just fantastic and DT's manager is just the best, they really add so much to the PTO experience.

Happy Hunting!

I'm goin' down
12-17-08, 04:14 PM
as noted in another thread the radio is up and running and so is GIEP. Thanks for your advice!

Sandman_28054
12-18-08, 03:28 PM
as noted in another thread the radio is up and running and so is GIEP. Thanks for your advice!

Mine too!

I have done all that was described in this thread.

Nothing worked.

I started up the game this morning, lo and behold, I'm listening to radio from San Francisco!

The only problem I am having is that when the radio reches AFRS stations, it takes several clicks to get it to move on.

Other than that, its working perfectly.

Thanks Fred for the work on the Mod, and to all who offered suggestions.

I'm goin' down
12-18-08, 04:45 PM
Congrats Sandman, I am familiar with the frustraton that you must have felt and and how you must feel now. I think now is better. Merry Christmas!

You might want to check out the recent posts at the end of Fred's main radio station and music thread in the Mod forum. You will find the thread on page 1 of the forum. I inquire about installing music to the radio stations in addition to, or in lieu of, playing music on the phongraph via the song randomizer mod. I posted questions yesterday and today.

fred8615
12-19-08, 09:12 AM
The only problem I am having is that when the radio reches AFRS stations, it takes several clicks to get it to move on.
Are you using the 4 shorter range stations (Honolulu, Midway, Wollongong, and Guam)? Are you hearing anything on AFRS?

I'm goin' down
12-19-08, 12:37 PM
Several, but not all, of the stations are on several frequencies. Here is what I think is occuring. I have stations that are several frequencies such as 88.1, 88.2, 88.3 (say it is for the Armed Services Radio by way of hypothetical example). Are multiple frequencies for one station par for the courset, or can some of the frequencies be deleted by deleting them from radio.ini? I am still in 1941 in career so nothing is playing on those stations yet, but the radio dial stops at each of the multiple frequencies.

(Note, if this post is inarticulate, it is because I was up until 4 a.m. this morning. My son arrived from college in NYC on a really late, delayed flight, and SH4 is installed on the computer in his room, where he is still asleep with 3 dogs in his bed (which is referred to as a Three Dog Night). As a result, I do not have access to his computer where SH4 is installed until he gets up, which will be this afternoon. If I did, I would have provided the station's call letters and frequencies.

fred8615
12-19-08, 01:31 PM
As I noted in another post, stations divided by year are set up to be only .01 apart in frequency. This is to take maximum advantage of the radio overlap feature built in to SH4 (it's because of this that separate radio stations need to be 10 frequencies apart, or you'll hear both on the same channel). This way when the year changes ingame, you don't have to change channels or lose any sound quality when one station stops and the next one starts.

The drawback is that you do have to click through each station when cycling through your radio. But it's the only way to make my system work. While you can remove the not current years from the radio.ini, if your on patrol near New Years the current station will stop as soon as it becomes January 1st, and you won't have a new station starting.

I'm goin' down
12-19-08, 02:27 PM
Now you know why I describe it as the mod from hell. There are many intracies, such as the multipe frequency issue. I have noticed that some, not all, captains have installation issues. It may be because they, like me, are not experienced at the detail required to program it correctly. There are several different steps and no room for error.

Regardless, I think the mod itself was a great idea and is lots of fun as well as educational. One day, when you have a few hours, you might consider makkng a sticky or thread to insert in the lead Radio and Music post that gives step by step installation instructions for the radio and the music, with notes under the respective steps of what not to do, taking a cue from the questions that have been posed by others. I am not saying everyone will read it, but it could help some like me. Simply stated, the instructions are in different places and in my opinion, not overly user friendly. I could be wrong in this assessment however.

Having said all of that, I am most appreciative of your patience. I have been playing the mod on each mission and have inserted music into a new campaign starting in 1941. I will transfer music into the other stations when the calendar hits 1942.
Someone posted that the Japs can hear the radio if it is playing, so I turn it off when they are near.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I will be listening to the holiday broadcasts as I cruise the Pacific.

I'm goin' down
12-19-08, 05:48 PM
Now that I have the radio mod working, is there anything that I need for Digital Trucker's device? I did not use it to set up the mod because I could was unable to get it to work. I ended up following Fred's installation instructions.

Digital_Trucker
12-19-08, 06:01 PM
You should be fine to use RSM once you have the station set up, whether it's a multi year station or not. You can't use RSM to set up a multi year station set up the way Fred's are (yet). RSM will still do the work necessary to keep you from hearing events over when you resume a game that was saved while on patrol.

Sandman_28054
12-23-08, 06:24 PM
Are you using the 4 shorter range stations (Honolulu, Midway, Wollongong, and Guam)? Are you hearing anything on AFRS?

No, but that could be because its August 1944.

Anywho, I got it working, I think.

Man that ate up a lot of my HD.

Before the radio mods, I had 12 GB used.

Now, out of 120 GB, I have 21 GB left.

fred8615
12-24-08, 09:22 AM
No, but that could be because its August 1944.

Anywho, I got it working, I think.

Man that ate up a lot of my HD.

Before the radio mods, I had 12 GB used.

Now, out of 120 GB, I have 21 GB left.
That can't be all my fault. My Radio folder is only 38.8 GBs and I have all mine plus a few others installed. :hmm: