PDA

View Full Version : making the Seawolf silent speed of 25 knots and doubling the Kilo endurance

Castout
10-18-08, 06:07 AM
I'm trying to make the Sewaolf much more realistic with having a virtually silent speed of 25 knots. Furthermore I'm trying to double the Kilo submerged endurance. thus making it more realistic.

I'm using the DWedit utility and playing with the object.eod file.

There is an object called thruster.

For the Kilo I think I just add 1 identical thruster but one which is NOT emitting any noise at all by tinkering with the speednoise parameter value of the object thruster class.

For the Seawolf I think I'm going to tinker with the speednoise value.

However I think the bigger the number of the speednoise parameter the quiter the sub becomes.

What does this speednoise mean? I mean the Seawolf has a speed noise level of 18 while the Kilo SSK has a speed noise of 11 and the Kilo improved has a speed noise of 13.
There is also the base noise which is always set at 0 I think.

Some help on the speednoise meaning is appreciated. Thanks

Castout
10-18-08, 08:19 PM
I just found a weird thing.

I've made sure that the object.eod is not read only and proceeded to make the changes I wrote in the previous post.

I loaded DW with the modified object.eod and it loaded and played successfully however as I exit DW to make further adjustment to object.eod file with DWedit, the previous modifications I've made disappeared from the list. The file seemed to have returned to default state.

Anybody have any idea?

To be
10-18-08, 08:33 PM
Did you save? :D

LoBlo
10-18-08, 08:58 PM
SpeedNoise in the thruster dialog represents how much additional "noise" the platform emits at top speed. For example a SpeedNoise of 10 means that at top speed the platform emits (base sound levelnoise) + 10 additional noise points. A SpeedNoise of 20 means the platform will emit (base sound level) + 20 additional noise points.

The lower the value the less additional noise at top speed the platform will exhibit.

If you want to lower the overal noise of the platform its in the "object" dialog in the valuebox Passive Sonar SL.

I loaded DW with the modified object.eod and it loaded and played successfully however as I exit DW to make further adjustment to object.eod file with DWedit, the previous modifications I've made disappeared from the list. The file seemed to have returned to default state.

After you change a value in one of the dialog, be sure to press the "apply" button, or the changes will be discarded when you switch to a different platform (different than the save button).

Castout
10-19-08, 12:44 PM
Did you save? :D
Gosh I had to? I did click on the apply button. :)

Castout
10-19-08, 12:46 PM
SpeedNoise in the thruster dialog represents how much additional "noise" the platform emits at top speed. For example a SpeedNoise of 10 means that at top speed the platform emits (base sound levelnoise) + 10 additional noise points. A SpeedNoise of 20 means the platform will emit (base sound level) + 20 additional noise points.

The lower the value the less additional noise at top speed the platform will exhibit.

If you want to lower the overal noise of the platform its in the "object" dialog in the valuebox Passive Sonar SL.

After you change a value in one of the dialog, be sure to press the "apply" button, or the changes will be discarded when you switch to a different platform (different than the save button).
Thanks LoBlo. Btw do you think the virtual thruster is going to work to double the Kilo endurance?

Castout
10-19-08, 01:49 PM
This time I saved the changes I made and now my Seawolf is virtually undetectable like it is supposed to be in RL thanks to its pump jet propulsion system. :up:. It is still detectable but at flanking speed that is in excess of 25 knots and at relatively short ranges too. I really like it this way. I don't care if it ruins the gameplay. As far as I'm concerned the Seawolf is supposed to be invisible. The ultimate underwater stealth technology. Though I'm a bit afraid that now whatever mission or campaign with the Seawolf would be all too easy since the enemy is not going to be able to detect it unless it is very very lucky. Though I'm aware there is always the probability that the Seawolf actual performance is not as superb as what they told us to be. Disinformation is commonplace and can be expected from the military though they usually dumbed down the performance of their new wonder machines.

The quietness of the Seawolf makes me wondering about the real or disclosed stealth performance of the Trafalgar which has a pump jet propulsion too like the Seawolf.
Does anyone know whether the Trafalgar is nearly as quiet as the Seawolf? :hmm:Because I intend to lower Trafalgar noise further since I expect it to be quieter than a conventional propeller equipped submarine.

I also tried playing with what I call the virtual thruster. Instead of doubling the range it actually halved it. Maybe it is not possible at all to double the endurance of the Kilo as what I've been told. :shifty:

LoBlo
10-19-08, 02:11 PM
Btw do you think the virtual thruster is going to work to double the Kilo endurance?

Not likely. From what I've seen/tried, its in the hardcode of the engine itself... if anyone ever figures out the trick it would make a nice Type 212 with AIP.

Pillar
10-19-08, 04:59 PM
I gathered that the Seawolf was marginally quieter than contemporary 688i's at slow speeds but without cavitation at higher speeds, and that's it.

How does the pump jet work sound-wise? I know what they are but I haven't a clue about the acoustics.

To be
10-19-08, 06:51 PM
This time I saved the changes I made and now my Seawolf is virtually undetectable like it is supposed to be in RL thanks to its pump jet propulsion system.

Well to be honest the Seawolf (in LWAMI) is perhaps slightly undermodeled, but not terribly so I imagine. You certainly can't go running around at 25 knots and expect not to be detected. It is good, and one of the best subs in the world (I would guess it is pretty much equivilent to the Virginias) but it just isn't that good.

Additionally, the pump-jet is quieter, but not silent, and has been used on other subs besides the seawolf, such as the British Trafalgar class. So in reality you probably made the sim highly unrealistic.

Castout
10-19-08, 07:53 PM
I gathered that the Seawolf was marginally quieter than contemporary 688i's at slow speeds but without cavitation at higher speeds, and that's it.

How does the pump jet work sound-wise? I know what they are but I haven't a clue about the acoustics.

Yes you're right pump jet prevent cavitation. I'm still looking at which parameter to change so that the Seawolf would not be cavitating at high speed.

Right now it still cavitates at 25 knots at relatively shallow depths but it is nonetheless virtually undetectable

Castout
10-19-08, 07:58 PM
This time I saved the changes I made and now my Seawolf is virtually undetectable like it is supposed to be in RL thanks to its pump jet propulsion system.
Well to be honest the Seawolf (in LWAMI) is perhaps slightly undermodeled, but not terribly so I imagine. You certainly can't go running around at 25 knots and expect not to be detected. It is good, and one of the best subs in the world (I would guess it is pretty much equivilent to the Virginias) but it just isn't that good.

Additionally, the pump-jet is quieter, but not silent, and has been used on other subs besides the seawolf, such as the British Trafalgar class. So in reality you probably made the sim highly unrealistic.
Well I have read somewhere that at 25 knots the Seawolf is quieter than a Los Angeles class tied at pier. In DW it is stated to have a silent speed of 25 knots. 10 times as quiet as the improved Los Angeles class submarine and 70 times as quiet as the original Los Angeles class submarine.
So I expect it to be as quiet as a 5 knots Los Angeles class when running at 25 knots. And that is extremely quiet imo.
So it must have extremely advanced stealth performance.

But again the military are also known to have exaggerated its wonder machine performance in order to win continuous funding to help justify its enormous expenses.

But I intend to further play with the parameter. Maybe I need to increase the passive noise a bit.

I realize this is all just guessing but I really think the default LWAMI Seawolf performance is really undermodeled. I don't feel confident riding the Seawolf in its default LWAMI state.

Castout
10-19-08, 09:09 PM
I tuned down the quietness of the Seawolf to what I feel a more realistic level after tuning it up to be virtually undetecable unless at very close ranges and high speeds. But she is still quieter than its stock LWAMI 3.08 counterpart which I feel is a bit undermodeled in terms of noise performance.

Now the Seawolf is much quieter than its LWAMI counterpart.

Here's the link to my modified object.eod based on LWAMI 3.08.
A Test scenario is included so that you may evaluate immediately the difference with the stock LWAMI Seawolf performance.

I don't consider this a mod I just want to share the file so that I may get evaluation on how the Seawolf now feels. Besides I think it is rather fun. who knows you might like it. :D. because I do.

New files and link.

http://files.filefront.com/ExtendedMod+fixedrar/;1 (http://files.filefront.com/ExtendedMod+fixedrar/;12135961;/fileinfo.html)
The old link contains faulty Kilo battery sorry

Now the entire Database files are included. Should be okay

Also the file may cause conflict in MP games if you intend to play with it permanently. I advise you to use JSGME if you like it.

War afterall is not a fair game.

Thanks to LoBlo who gave the tips on how to do it.

To be
10-19-08, 09:57 PM
Be careful about comparing the seawolf to the 688, they are no doubt talking about the unimproved 688, not the 688(i). Checking the LWAMI DB (and assuming I am remembering how to do this :lol:)

....................Seawolf.........688........... 688(i)
SL@ rest...........55..............62.............58
SL@ 5knts.........57..............65.............60
SL@ 20knts.......64..............73.............68

So under LWAMI the Seawolf at 20 knots is already very close to the sound level of a 688 at 0 knots. (64 v 62) All those numbers (I believe) presume you are not cavitating.

Castout
10-19-08, 11:22 PM
Be careful about comparing the seawolf to the 688, they are no doubt talking about the unimproved 688, not the 688(i). Checking the LWAMI DB (and assuming I am remembering how to do this :lol:)

....................Seawolf.........688........... 688(i)
SL@ rest...........55..............62.............58
SL@ 5knts.........57..............65.............60
SL@ 20knts.......64..............73.............68

So under LWAMI the Seawolf at 20 knots is already very close to the sound level of a 688 at 0 knots. (64 v 62) All those numbers (I believe) presume you are not cavitating.
Yes I'm aware that they were talking about the original 688. I'm using 25 knots as reference. That traveling at 25 knots the Seawolf is still running silently. And I take it to emit a noise level equivalent to that of a 5 knots travelling improved 688. as for numbers well I'm not an engineer. So I set it to a value which I think from my simple testing is appropriate. Hunches and estimate guessing did the trick.

At the current level of my modification the Seawolf is already very quiet but you can get killed in your Seawolf too as I've experienced. A torpedo dropped from the Seahawk got me :dead:.

TLAM Strike
10-21-08, 02:18 PM
[quote=Castout]Additionally, the pump-jet is quieter, but not silent, and has been used on other subs besides the seawolf, such as the British Trafalgar class. Not to mention the Russian Kilo submarine Alrosia. :rock:

BTW a pumpjet is not as efficent as a normal prop so if you had two submarines of the same class and one was outfitted with a pump jet it would be eather slower and quieter or noiser due to the higher amount of turns being put on the shaft for the same speed. Pump jets make a sub quieter but at slower speeds, they are by no means a HFRO style "Silent Drive". ;)

MBot
10-21-08, 04:24 PM
I always wondered what makes the Seawolve so silent. I think the big jump in silent speed should indicate a major revolution in submarine design. Is there something revolutionary in the machinery of the Seawolve? If it is realy "just" the pump-jet then it is strange that the Trafalgar is not famous for a very high silent speed aswell.

Frame57
10-21-08, 05:06 PM
There are other factors that come into play in the noise level a submarine puts out. The electro/mechanical systems like the hydraulic system, the reactor coolant pumps, the ventilation system. Also how well these systems are designed and sound dampened so as not to transfer noise to the hull itself is a critical componant in being quiet.

Castout
10-21-08, 07:54 PM
The Los Angeles class is an old design though continually refitted with updated weaponry and sensors or electronics but it is an old design.

Just look at the comparative differences between the F-15 which is an old design and the new F-22 Raptor. Both are designed as air superiority fighter. But the later which is designed much later has got super cruise ability and stealth built into it. That two alone are major advancement than the F-15. The F-22 is a revolutionary plane despite its enormous cost to build

The same when I look between the Los Angeles class and the Seawolf class submarines. The Seawolf which is a new design would in most probability incorporate features that are non-existent in the old Los Angeles class. So much so that the Seawolf performance is quite revolutionary compared with the Los Angeles class just like the F-22 when compared with the F-15.

In my opinion the RL Seawolf is even quieter than the one I try to imitate through my modification. Perhaps between 2-5 point lower than it is now in my modification.

The Akula II as it is now in LWAMI is already quieter than the Improved Los Angeles class which imo is not accurate as even the noise performance of the Akula II is still lower(noiser) than the improved Los Angeles class though the difference may not be much.

Also can somebody explain to me the high tensile non-magnetic steel that the Germans use in their submarine. Will this material prevent MAD detection?

The thing that disappoint me is the inability to modify the battery capacity of any diesel-electric submarine in the game. That really sucks a lot. Perhpas Sonalysts could make not a patch but rather a battery fix that modify existing battery capaicty of all diesel-electric sub in game to a value closer to RL. Right now the Kilo submerged endurance is half that of what DW writes in the USNI entry.

LoBlo
10-21-08, 07:58 PM
I always wondered what makes the Seawolve so silent. I think the big jump in silent speed should indicate a major revolution in submarine design. Is there something revolutionary in the machinery of the Seawolve? If it is realy "just" the pump-jet then it is strange that the Trafalgar is not famous for a very high silent speed aswell.

I think everyone has his/her theories; I certainly have my own... completely speculative albeit.

I've heard one theory is that the Seawolf is using large and extensive raftings which is one reason the Seawolf needed to be so much larger than the 688. (2300 tons heavier).

The other thing that I haven't heard alright but suspect is that the Seawolf is probably using a natural circulating reactor which the 688 class was too small to fit (another explaination for the SW neccesarily larger size). The USNavy was using them in their super quiet SSBNs, but couldn't fit them in the 688 so a bigger, new sub was probably needed.

Those are my theories anyway. All is just guessing.

Bubblehead Nuke
10-21-08, 09:18 PM
I think everyone has his/her theories; I certainly have my own... completely speculative albeit.

I've heard one theory is that the Seawolf is using large and extensive raftings which is one reason the Seawolf needed to be so much larger than the 688. (2300 tons heavier).

The other thing that I haven't heard alright but suspect is that the Seawolf is probably using a natural circulating reactor which the 688 class was too small to fit (another explaination for the SW neccesarily larger size). The USNavy was using them in their super quiet SSBNs, but couldn't fit them in the 688 so a bigger, new sub was probably needed.

Those are my theories anyway. All is just guessing.

The S6W reactor core was first taken critical in the S8G prototype plant in upstate NY. Seeing as how the S8G is publically stated to be a nactural circ reactor it is a pretty safe bet that the S6W is as well. When you look at the thermal and hydraulic design limits and parameters of a reactor core, you do not just 'drop it in' a plant that does not meet these requirements. A power plant is designed to handle the core, not vice versa. The S6W plant is the one that drives the Seawolf class.

Something else you might not know. A 688 was originally supposed to have a natural circulation plant. When you look at the plant layout there are many similarities with the S8G plant design. However, there was insufficent hydraulic head to get sufficient flow in the plant to conduct power ops. Basically, the hull was not big enough. This meant that the quieter natural circulation could not be used to lower the noise signature.

To be
10-21-08, 10:06 PM
Is the S9G natural circulation? I would hope so, but the VAs are smaller. I do have an extremely hard time visually differentiating the Seawolf and Virginia classes, other than the general perception of the Seawolves as a bit stouter.

Bubblehead Nuke
10-21-08, 10:56 PM
Is the S9G natural circulation? I would hope so, but the VAs are smaller. I do have an extremely hard time visually differentiating the Seawolf and Virginia classes, other than the general perception of the Seawolves as a bit stouter.

Unfortunately, I got out before the VA class was really being discussed. While I was in they were still calling it the NSSN concept, not the VA class.

However, with the advent of computer aided design (the seawolf was the first US sub to use this btw) I am sure they can pull tricks off that would have been speculation only a decade before. A nuc sub is not designed in a year or 3. It takes a DECADE of planning and engineering analysis before the first order is even made.

LoBlo
10-22-08, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the perspective BH, insightful as always.

As for VA, my guess... as a complete and utter layperson... is that there's probably a reason the Virginia Class has the same payload, crew size, yet is almost 1000 tons larger than the 688 (7800 tons vs 6900 tons). Probably extra room in the engine compartment for a NC reactor (bigger than the LA, but smaller than the SW) and/or other quieting techniques.

Castout
10-22-08, 10:40 PM
I worked on further on my modification with DWEdit. And this is the result.
A very simple mod :). Thought I share it with you. Comments are welcome.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=971897#post971897

TLAM Strike
10-27-08, 02:30 PM
Don't forget the steam turbines that actually turn the prop shaft. Bigger sub = more room for queiting those.

Also the 688(i)s and SW have ancotic (sp?) tiles which US subs lacked for a very long time. Those not only absorb active sonar pings they also absorb sub self noise. Which is one of the reasons Russian subs are queit at low speeds (two hulls with these tiles).

Bubblehead Nuke
10-27-08, 05:22 PM
Don't forget the steam turbines that actually turn the prop shaft. Bigger sub = more room for queiting those.

Also the 688(i)s and SW have ancotic (sp?) tiles which US subs lacked for a very long time. Those not only absorb active sonar pings they also absorb sub self noise. Which is one of the reasons Russian subs are queit at low speeds (two hulls with these tiles).

To be quite honest here, the reason they are quieter is due to the MASSIVE improvements in pump impeller designs gained when Toshiba sold them all the fancy metal milling machines. The predominate noise produced by a nuclear sub is not from the screw, but from the gear used to run and support the reactor plant.

While they got the quieter pump impellers, they still have the lousy screw designs that were optimized for speed and acceleration rather than stealth. At a slow enough speed, even these screws were pretty quiet. Thus you have a quiet boat at slow stalking speeds. As soon as they start cranking up the RPM'S they are just as loud as ever. Their reactor plants also have some fundemental differences in operation from the American boats that showed a greater noise impact from the improved impeller construction.

Why did they design the screws for speed and acceleration you ask? The plants were noisy as heck so why not make it a better performer. A quieter screw had no purpose. Thus they were better equipped to runout maneuver a torpedo. If you can get up to top speed fast enough, you could get out of the aquisition cone of the incoming torpedo.

Also, there was a funamentel difference in MISSION between US and the Soviet subs. Ours was a forward offense mission while theirs was more home water defense. A boat had to be able to move QUICKLY to get into an intecept position based on external data. Thier boats works as teams with surface and/or air assets while our boats operated in a more independant ops mode.

TLAM Strike
10-31-08, 10:46 AM

To be quite honest here, the reason they are quieter is due to the MASSIVE improvements in pump impeller designs gained when Toshiba sold them all the fancy metal milling machines. The predominate noise produced by a nuclear sub is not from the screw, but from the gear used to run and support the reactor plant.

While they got the quieter pump impellers, they still have the lousy screw designs that were optimized for speed and acceleration rather than stealth. At a slow enough speed, even these screws were pretty quiet. Thus you have a quiet boat at slow stalking speeds. As soon as they start cranking up the RPM'S they are just as loud as ever. Their reactor plants also have some fundemental differences in operation from the American boats that showed a greater noise impact from the improved impeller construction.

Why did they design the screws for speed and acceleration you ask? The plants were noisy as heck so why not make it a better performer. A quieter screw had no purpose. Thus they were better equipped to runout maneuver a torpedo. If you can get up to top speed fast enough, you could get out of the aquisition cone of the incoming torpedo.

Also, there was a funamentel difference in MISSION between US and the Soviet subs. Ours was a forward offense mission while theirs was more home water defense. A boat had to be able to move QUICKLY to get into an intecept position based on external data. Thier boats works as teams with surface and/or air assets while our boats operated in a more independant ops mode.
Well better screws were a part of it but not as you think, the screws of the 3rd Gen Russian subs (Typhoon, Oscar, Akula, Sierra, Mike) were designed before that, the Japanese and Norwegian “scandals” simply allowed the Russians to build their own designs of better quality and faster.

When I talked about quieting I was thinking of 1st Gen subs. It might be hard to believe but the early Russian subs were stealthy than ours at low speeds thanks to anechoic tiles on that big double hull of theirs. The US 1st gens nucs were noisier than the WWII fleet boats! Nautilus was renowned for its self noise over 8 knots, in fact she was a test bed for experiments relating to that. I know Bill our Master of Defense has shared several stories about their time as a test bed sub.

Back to Russia in the 80's reactors were also quieted the OK-650a was capable of natural circulation for cooling at low speeds. The Sierras used this reactor, the Akula's have a similar plant the OK-650b same as the Oscar. (The Typhoon had the OK-650, the Mike the OK-650b-3) Latter Russian boats also have “Active Noise Cancellation” systems which I've never heard of US boats having.

tippership
07-10-13, 02:20 AM
Yea, this is a few years old, but i'm bumping this -

I'm attempting the same thing in the Reinforce Alert Mod- I have DWedit, and have been doing a ton of 1 on 1's with hostile Virginia's against me driving a Seawolf - and they've been slinging adcaps at me while i couldn't detect their subs, only their torpedoes when they shoot at me- and i'm not close enough for their high frequency sonar to see me, and i usually bounce between 2 knots and 10, but they find me every single time(before i find them)..... at about a nm range of no more than ten or so...(both the base seawolves and the jimmy carter)

Maybe i need to pilot the virginia against a seawolf..and see if it happens again...lol. :/\\!!

-crazy ivan posted the actual sound chart spreadsheet here on this page as a download
http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=137040

-but when i look in DWedit, it doesn't match up- the spreadsheet might be out o date, as i'm on 1.3.7 RA, but...its was hardly 2 pages back...from the 1.3.7 mod...

If you look at the spreadsheet - for the virginia and seawolf at 0 knots
-virginia is at 58, seawolf is at 57 , and the jimmy carter(it's seperate from the first 2 seawolves in the database) is at 57

Now i open up Dwedit, and look at the object dialog menu , and pull up the seawolf and virginia, and the passive sonar SL has the virginia at 53, the seawolf at 54, and the jimmy carter at 57...
I'm having trouble making sense of what this means- it looks like DWedit is saying the virginias emit less sound in general than the seawolves(let alone it's looking like the jimmy carter went BACKWARDS in that it's louder, unless i'm reading this backwards and i dont think i am, as the 688i's have higher numbers.

so i open up the thrust dialog menu in DWedit , and looking at the numbers ,, it has base noise and speed noise
virginia base noise 3, speed noise is 16
seawolf base 0 , speed noise is 17,
and then jimmy carter(under 0044, it shares the same one with 2 other subs, the amethyste and astute) -is set at base 0, speed noise 18

..I don't understand what this means.
Can anyone help me make sense of these numbers?

So if it's thrust dialog- then the seawolf at zero is quieter, but at full speed is louder than the virginia at full speed, and the jimmy is even louder??? Or does the passive Sonar SL thing in the object dialog menu mean the virginia is quieter with it's 53?

My goal is to see if the Virginia are somehow set as quieter, and if so, to use DWEdit to make the seawolves match the virginias ...So i can quit getting owned* by my cheaper , lesser-capable alternative
*to be fair, i have defeated virginias in the seawolves in one on ones, but i'm still suspect about who's superior noise-level wise.

I know the original posters aren't around, 5 years later, but i'm a bit surprised to hear pumpjets aren't as efficient as open propellers - thrust wise, i thought pumpjets are better. Sort of how like turbojets are better than open propellers if they are at high speed(yes in low altitude dense air ,props aren't bad)

Reading this, I still am not sure how to make sure the virginias aren't quieter than the seawolves, because these 1 on 1 fights don't include a lot of running around at top speed, - the passive sonar is what is confusing me. If you add base noise + speed noise, the virginias are indeed louder than the seawolves- but that passive Sonar level thing from the object dialog menu.....???????

LoBlo
07-10-13, 10:58 AM
Reading this, I still am not sure how to make sure the virginias aren't quieter than the seawolves, because these 1 on 1 fights don't include a lot of running around at top speed, - the passive sonar is what is confusing me. If you add base noise + speed noise, the virginias are indeed louder than the seawolves- but that passive Sonar level thing from the object dialog menu.....???????

So you will have to decide what "quieter" means. You can give the SW and the Virginia the same passive/base noise level which will make them equally quiet at stop.

Then you will have to calculate the amount of noise added per knot from the thrust menu for the SW (or Virginia, whichever you decide to use as your standard) and decide the value of the "speed noise" in the other boat's thrust menu that will grant the same amount of noise/knot.

They will then have equal noise emissions at each speed, with the caveat that since the SW is faster, as it passes the Virginia's max speed it will then exceed the Virginia's noise levels.

Another approach is to make each boat the same noise at each's respective top speed, but the result will be that the SW will also be quieter than the Virginia at any equal speed.

Hope that makes sense.

LB

tippership
07-10-13, 02:36 PM
So you will have to decide what "quieter" means. You can give the SW and the Virginia the same passive/base noise level which will make them equally quiet at stop.

Then you will have to calculate the amount of noise added per knot from the thrust menu for the SW (or Virginia, whichever you decide to use as your standard) and decide the value of the "speed noise" in the other boat's thrust menu that will grant the same amount of noise/knot.

They will then have equal noise emissions at each speed, with the caveat that since the SW is faster, as it passes the Virginia's max speed it will then exceed the Virginia's noise levels.

Another approach is to make each boat the same noise at each's respective top speed, but the result will be that the SW will also be quieter than the Virginia at any equal speed.

Hope that makes sense.

LB

..Seems some people are still here, 5 years later, wow.

Anyway, thank you very much for the response. I That thrust dialog doesn't make it easy to figure out though how much louder it gets per knot- I suppose you have to divide the speed noise into how many knots? Seawolf is base 0, then speed 17 - the seawolves i have set to a flank speed of 40 knots(stock DW is 40, RA puts them at subcommand's 35, i undid that)

..17/40 is .0425... so for every knot, , the noise goes up by .425, eh?

Hm, then if i set the Seawolf and Jimmy carter passive sonar level to the Virginia's 53..(or maybe 52)- then all that's left is the 0 -17 speed noise of SW, and 3 - 16 vir

Except, as you mentioned 5 years ago, that's 3 +16.(for the Vir) So it's 19, compared to 0 +17 at top speed(SW) So all i need to do is make the passive sonar level 53 , and the SW is quieter off the bat. Or 52....

Thanks for the advice LoBlo :D

LoBlo
07-13-13, 01:07 PM
Anyway, thank you very much for the response. I That thrust dialog doesn't make it easy to figure out though how much louder it gets per knot- I suppose you have to divide the speed noise into how many knots? Seawolf is base 0, then speed 17 - the seawolves i have set to a flank speed of 40 knots(stock DW is 40, RA puts them at subcommand's 35, i undid that)

..17/40 is .0425... so for every knot, , the noise goes up by .425, eh?

Hm, then if i set the Seawolf and Jimmy carter passive sonar level to the Virginia's 53..(or maybe 52)- then all that's left is the 0 -17 speed noise of SW, and 3 - 16 vir

Except, as you mentioned 5 years ago, that's 3 +16.(for the Vir) So it's 19, compared to 0 +17 at top speed(SW) So all i need to do is make the passive sonar level 53 , and the SW is quieter off the bat. Or 52....

In my opinion assigning "basenoise" in the thruster dialog is redundant as it only adds to the Passive Sonar SL in the object dialog, so only leads to confusion. Better to level the Basenoise in the thrust dialog as 0 IMHO.

Also, I'm not sure if I you mentioned it above or if I missed it, but remember that if you give the SW and the Virginia the exact same Passive Sonar SL and the exact same Speednoise, you are in fact making the SW quieter than the Virginia at any given speed.

In your example with the SW given a Passive Sonar SL of 53 and a thrust SpeedNoise of 0 + 17, it grants 0.42 (there's a typo in your above math) increase in noise per knot of increased speed. If the Virgina has a max speed of, hypothetically, 30 knots, then you will need to assign its Speednoise to 12.75 to give the SW and the Virginia equal noise at equal speeds.

..Seems some people are still here, 5 years later, wow

DW is still the most up-to-date modern sub-simulator, so I'm still lurking from time to time checking for any new pet-projects, scenarios, etc, though with admittedly long stretches without checking in. There's hopefully a new player on the block coming though: http://www.warfaresims.com/

§amael
08-23-14, 10:49 PM
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I wanted an understanding of how you came up with the thrust value of 12.75 for the virginia to equal the same for the seawolf at its max speed of 30 knots.

Based on what I understand you take your the speed noise per knot found under thrust dialogue and divide it by the max speed of the platform. 17/30 is 0.56 per knot for noise increase. What I want to know is how you reached the conclusion of the 12.75 for the thrust value of the platform to effectively match the seawolf at equal speeds until it passes the max speed of the virginia. I think I got the first part of it I'm just missing how you arrived at the new thrust value from the 17/30 to 0.56 per knot we started with.

Pisces
08-25-14, 12:04 PM
Caveat: I never modded DW to test this out.

Afaiu(nderstand) the math, you take the max speed noise (maybe a typo on your part, but it is not "per knot", but total) and divide it by the max speed of the unit to get the speednoise per knot. So for the SW in that example is max speednoise/top speed=17/40 kts= 0.425 noise points per knot.

In order for the VA to be equally noisy at equal speed as the SW, the max soundnoise needs to be proportionally lower as the top speed is lower (30 kts). So 0.425x30 kts=12.75

Looking at it in a different way:12.75 speednoise points (VA) is 75% of 17 speednoise points (SW),
as is 30 kts (VA) being 75% of 40 kts (SW)