PDA

View Full Version : OK I need help (please)

gouldjg
09-29-08, 12:16 PM
Ok

I have 1.4 and have installed LWaMI mod. (have I missed any other essential mods to go with this??

So I go and try to get used to the game.

Cutting the long story short,

I remember having show truth on and watching how deadly the torps were at tracking in sub command.

So with this mod installed I go back to having a quick look at how deadly they are now.

I have game on hhow truth and select a enemy sub and launch torps but they just seem to sail straight bye and do not aquire the target well at all.

Is this a setting e.g. using show truth misses something out such as proper tracking etc.

I am at short ranges etc,

Just a point in the right direction would be really appreciated.

All I want to do is spend some time on this game and practice modern sub warfare for a bit (no other decnt games out there at the moment)

Maybe I am just missing a procedure?????

Thanks in advance

Molon Labe
09-29-08, 12:27 PM
What torpedo, what presets?

gouldjg
09-29-08, 12:39 PM
Just standard 48 from seawolf.

I am selecting the sub then right clicking and then engage with.

I know this is cheating but I just wanted to observe some bahavious to see how different it is compared with sub command.

Is it essential to set the torps even with show truth on

OneShot
09-29-08, 12:43 PM
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the presets generated by the AC are bad ... maybe the torp enables to late. Does it drive in a straight line or does it start sneaking before he passes by the other sub?

gouldjg
09-29-08, 12:48 PM
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the presets generated by the AC are bad ... maybe the torp enables to late. Does it drive in a straight line or does it start sneaking before he passes by the other sub?

Just a straight line however even the passive settings should steer the torp as the sub makes dashes yet they do not ????????

I suppose I could try to tweak some torp presets but never had to do this when using the magic show truth and fire in sub command. Thats why I was asking (to see if this was just made more difficult)

Blacklight
09-29-08, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking that it sounds like your torpedo isn't enableing fast enough to catch the target. I'd say either try fireing from a farther distance away or setting the torpedo enable to a shorter distance. Also.. if you're selecting "Engage target with [weapon]" by clicking on the target on the map, that doesn't mean that you will actually fire accurately at him. Your TMA guy will still use whatever best calculations he has depending on the information coming to him from SONAR and other sources.
To test this, properly, you have to put the calculations yourself. Show Truth is only showing YOU the truth, not your crew.

gouldjg
09-29-08, 01:04 PM
Just to re-state

Standard run to enable appears to be 10000 yds by default

Subs in instant missions are approx 5nmil away before I fire which indicates that this is in fact too far for active but what abouty th passive, has it been nerfed to be realistic or something or are the decoys pretty good in DW unlike SC?.

When I used to play this game, I would just merely click on enemy sub and hit engage with tube 1 etc. I am sure the presets auotmatically set up and adjuste for the solution but could be wrong.

Just wondering if there is no magic solution anymore and I have to do my homework.

gouldjg
09-29-08, 01:14 PM
I'm thinking that it sounds like your torpedo isn't enableing fast enough to catch the target. I'd say either try fireing from a farther distance away or setting the torpedo enable to a shorter distance. Also.. if you're selecting "Engage target with [weapon]" by clicking on the target on the map, that doesn't mean that you will actually fire accurately at him. Your TMA guy will still use whatever best calculations he has depending on the information coming to him from SONAR and other sources.
To test this, properly, you have to put the calculations yourself. Show Truth is only showing YOU the truth, not your crew.

Was it like this in SC or was that because the presets were closer and the torps were magic in SC.

Its just that I have only just installed the game and want to note the main differences between this and sc command which I really enjoyed.

Molon Labe
09-29-08, 02:27 PM
Just to re-state

Standard run to enable appears to be 10000 yds by default

Subs in instant missions are approx 5nmil away before I fire which indicates that this is in fact too far for active but what abouty th passive, has it been nerfed to be realistic or something or are the decoys pretty good in DW unlike SC?.

When I used to play this game, I would just merely click on enemy sub and hit engage with tube 1 etc. I am sure the presets auotmatically set up and adjuste for the solution but could be wrong.

Just wondering if there is no magic solution anymore and I have to do my homework.

If the torpedo is not enabled, it will not home, regardless of the torpedo's acoustic mode. This is not a nerf, it's just what the enabled/pre-enabled dichotomy means.

OneShot
09-29-08, 02:39 PM
Since the torp is travelling in a straight line its clear that it hasn't enabled ... thus I would suggest to manually reduce the RTE distance. When you turn on "Show History" for the torp you should see a dotted curving line once the torp has enabled. As ML pointed out, this enable stuff works both in active and passive mode.

gouldjg
09-29-08, 03:26 PM
Solved

Did not have the weapons control auto crew on :oops:

I suppose thats why they were not setting the default ranges when I auto shot from show truth position.

Just been playing with enable etc and yes it is much better to do it maunally.

My last q is this,

In the hnt for red october movie, things looked a lot hairy in the sub battle e.g. sharp turns etc to dodge.

Does this game do similar or is that another hollywood fabrication.

Also, what kinda ai battle skills do the enemy subs have compared to SC e.g. better, worse, same?

Thanks for being patient, been years since I played this game.

Dr.Sid
09-29-08, 04:28 PM
As for how subs avoid torpedoes, that is VERY sensitive topic, nobody will tell you. Anyway sub at flank should turn quite well (better then how in DW). Ramius simply had to know what he must do against Russian torpedoes. :arrgh!:

In DW torpedo avoidance means don't get shot at at the first place. Don't be there when the torpedo is there comes next. CMs and wild turns comes next, in that case you must place CM so torpedo finds it right in it's way and closer then you .. but when it flies past CM you must not be there anymore. Quite tricky without knowing exactly where the torpedo is. Try to stick to points one and two. :|\\

I can't compare to SC, I did not play it. In DW AI is quite simple. Seek, investigate, kill. With LWAMI it shoots back. I say simple, but that does not mean easy to beat. But the balance is job if mission designer here.

Molon Labe
09-29-08, 04:57 PM
Solved

I suppose thats why they were not setting the default ranges when I auto shot from show truth position.

My last q is this,

In the hnt for red october movie, things looked a lot hairy in the sub battle e.g. sharp turns etc to dodge.

Also, what kinda ai battle skills do the enemy subs have compared to SC e.g. better, worse, same?

Thanks for being patient, been years since I played this game.

You've already experienced the DW version of the Red October evasion tactic. If the sub gets inside the Run-to-enable range of a torpedo (and the torpedo isn't manually enabled) then the torpedo cannot acquire the target.

Neptunus Rex
09-29-08, 06:48 PM
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I seem to remember if you click on a target and shoot a weapon while Show Truth is activated, the weapon will shoot down the target bearing at the time of launch. Auto weapons presets are also disabled.

Or was that SC? I really don't get to play that often anymore.

Blacklight
09-30-08, 02:37 PM
I don't recall Sub Command behaving any differently than DW in this respect. I think it actually may have done that in 688i HK though.

Frame57
09-30-08, 10:37 PM
Solved

My last q is this,

Thanks for being patient, been years since I played this game.No! They do not not which is my pet peeve here. If you have an incoming torpedo that has aquired you within 100yards you launch a full spread then flank either above or below a layer (or even emergency blow) and use a steep trim angle (40 degree). But you cannot do that in the game. I took the SC game to my last Archerfish reuinion and my former skipper loved it and I expect he will be buying these games. But that was the first thing he noted was that we do not have the ability to "Dodge a bullet" as he put it.

Frame57
09-30-08, 10:38 PM
Apologies! I meant to say 1000 yards.:D

MBot
10-01-08, 04:05 AM
I took the SC game to my last Archerfish reuinion and my former skipper loved it and I expect he will be buying these games. But that was the first thing he noted was that we do not have the ability to "Dodge a bullet" as he put it.

I know you probably are not allowed go into details but I will ask anyway. How would DW have to behave to be more realistic in that regard?

Dr.Sid
10-01-08, 07:06 AM
I guess you would need direct control over planes in the first place.