PDA

View Full Version : Former Bubblehead looking to help

Pingjockey
09-05-08, 04:35 PM
Hey there folks. If anyone is looking for help with guides, tactics, physics and so on lemme know. I got 13 yrs of experience that I can share (to some extent). Neal can verify that I am the real deal.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from folks

Pingjockey

Molon Labe
09-05-08, 04:52 PM
Welcome aboard!

Dr. Sid is working on the acoustic modeling of a Community Subsim lately, so you might make a good resource for him. It's always good to have some experts to consult for modding as well. :hmm:

Bubblehead Nuke
09-05-08, 09:36 PM
Ahoy there,

The more the merrier.

Just remember that we can not give it all away.

Frame57
09-05-08, 09:46 PM
Ping Jockey, you must be a sonar tech. Glad to have you hear (pun intended). Lots of sonar issues come up with these games. So we may need to have some ST expertise for sure. Myself being a former A-ganger my knowledge of sonar is limited. But I know what our 637 class boats is being able to detect and track former Soviet class subs. That was what we did 90% of the time when deployed. I have trouble getting my autocrew to detect things a lot of the time which i think they should. But more on this later. So, how long have you been out of the service?

Neptunus Rex
09-06-08, 07:37 AM
Hey Frame!

HPAC #1 just broke. And start the #1 scrubber.

And stop leaving your TLD in the TDU well!

Pingjockey
09-06-08, 09:02 AM
Gents,
I was a first class sonarman (STS1), qualified sonar supervisor on 2 688’s and 1 virginia class submarine so I think I may know a little about sonar :lol:.

But really, I would love to help and offer any insight that I can…

USS Jefferson City SSN 759
USS Annapolis SSN 760
USS Texas SSN 775 (Plank Owner)

Pingjockey

goldorak
09-06-08, 10:10 AM
Welcome aboard Pingjockey,

As Molon Labe already told you, your "non classified expertise" could be of interest to Dr. Sid mostly because he's designing a totally new sonar model for ComSubSim.
The focus is realism, and to be honest I doubt that just modding the database files in Dangerous Waters could improve the "acustic modelling" part of the simulation.
What we need, is a realistic sonar model and since that is impossible to achieve in DW, the only chance to get it "right" is within ComSubSim. :cool:

Frame57
09-06-08, 12:07 PM
Hey Frame!

And stop leaving your TLD in the TDU well!Yeah those %#@*& High Pacs always were breaking. Those friggin reed valves were a piss poor design IMO. If I could do it all over again I would have struck for ET or something. Seems electronics has helped me out re-inventing myself since those fun times. Oh, yeah Neptune, the brow is now over so you can go on liberty while me and Bubblehead Nuke will only dream about it...:D

Rip
09-06-08, 01:00 PM
Hey Frame!

Hey aren't you supposed to be blowing the DCA?

Bubblehead Nuke
09-06-08, 02:46 PM
Yeah those %#@*& High Pacs always were breaking. Those friggin reed valves were a piss poor design IMO. If I could do it all over again I would have struck for ET or something. Seems electronics has helped me out re-inventing myself since those fun times. Oh, yeah Neptune, the brow is now over so you can go on liberty while me and Bubblehead Nuke will only dream about it...:D

lol...

I was the HPAC tech on my boat. On a 688, us aft MM's 'owned' them and I was the lucky(??) one to get to go to the HPAC school and tend and care for those things.

Neptunus Rex
09-06-08, 06:11 PM
Hey Frame!

Brah, hah, hah, no that's your job non-qual.:rock:

One time we had a new non-qual STS3 become a victim of that one. He actually came to the Control Room and asked the OOD for permission to blow the DCA. :lol: Unlucky for him the Capt. was in Control at the time and he screamed "ME FIRST".:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Everyone in Control lost it. It's safe to say that for about 30 seconds, our boat was not "under control".

Neptunus Rex
09-06-08, 06:16 PM
Hey Frame!

And stop leaving your TLD in the TDU well!Yeah those %#@*& High Pacs always were breaking. Those friggin reed valves were a piss poor design IMO. If I could do it all over again I would have struck for ET or something. Seems electronics has helped me out re-inventing myself since those fun times. Oh, yeah Neptune, the brow is now over so you can go on liberty while me and Bubblehead Nuke will only dream about it...:D

Aw Frame, I was an ICman and O2 bomb tech :damn: , so believe me, I know what it's like watching the liberty gang heading out. (They were usually mostly ST's! ;) Just kidding Pingjockey. :up:

Mcarm
09-06-08, 06:24 PM
Hello Pingjockey

Well done sir, it's great to see fellow submariners here. A number of years ago I participated in a project called SCX led by a man called Thomasew (the rest I leave to history), but a very capable and hard working person he is.

Back then I was an employe of EB, but now I'm retired. In spite of my advancing years I'm considering trying to get the SCX crew back togather, would you like to be involved?

Rip
09-06-08, 06:32 PM
Hey Frame!

One time we had a new non-qual STS3 become a victim of that one. He actually came to the Control Room and asked the OOD for permission to blow the DCA. :lol: Unlucky for him the Capt. was in Control at the time and he screamed "ME FIRST".:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Everyone in Control lost it. It's safe to say that for about 30 seconds, our boat was not "under control".

We actually had the messenger got down to LT Thompsons(who was the DCA "Damage Control Assistant") rack and request permission to blow the DCA. I think the LT was just as caught off guard by the joke as was the messenger. Screwing with the non-quals was one of my favorite pastimes.:|\\

Rip
09-06-08, 06:34 PM
Hello Pingjockey

Well done sir, it's great to see fellow submariners here. A number of years ago I participated in a project called SCX led by a man called Thomasew (the rest I leave to history), but a very capable and hard working person he is.

Back then I was an employe of EB, but now I'm retired. In spite of my advancing years I'm considering trying to get the SCX crew back togather, would you like to be involved?

You can pencil me in for whatever help I could be.

Ramius
09-06-08, 08:36 PM
....Back then I was an employe of EB, but now I'm retired....

Nice for some :arrgh!: , whilst im off again for a few months doing things im sure you can remember something about :hmm: (bottle of whiskey might give you a clue :doh: )

Pingjockey
09-06-08, 09:24 PM
Welcome aboard Pingjockey,

As Molon Labe already told you, your "non classified expertise" could be of interest to Dr. Sid mostly because he's designing a totally new sonar model for ComSubSim.
The focus is realism, and to be honest I doubt that just modding the database files in Dangerous Waters could improve the "acustic modelling" part of the simulation.
What we need, is a realistic sonar model and since that is impossible to achieve in DW, the only chance to get it "right" is within ComSubSim. :cool:

Of course, I can only do so much but we can make it somewhat better. I just need to know whom to talk to and what I can help with.

Pingjockey
09-06-08, 09:25 PM
Hello Pingjockey

Sure count me in. I am sure my tactics insight among other things could be useful!

Frame57
09-06-08, 11:04 PM
Hey Frame!

Hey aren't you supposed to be blowing the DCA?LOL!:rotfl: I would not blow the DCA with your mouth you scallywag:D

Frame57
09-06-08, 11:06 PM
Hey Frame!

We actually had the messenger got down to LT Thompsons(who was the DCA "Damage Control Assistant") rack and request permission to blow the DCA. I think the LT was just as caught off guard by the joke as was the messenger. Screwing with the non-quals was one of my favorite pastimes.:|\\
:rotfl: Or send em back aft to get a 'machinist punch'...

Frame57
09-06-08, 11:11 PM
Yeah those %#@*& High Pacs always were breaking. Those friggin reed valves were a piss poor design IMO. If I could do it all over again I would have struck for ET or something. Seems electronics has helped me out re-inventing myself since those fun times. Oh, yeah Neptune, the brow is now over so you can go on liberty while me and Bubblehead Nuke will only dream about it...:D

lol...

I was the HPAC tech on my boat. On a 688, us aft MM's 'owned' them and I was the lucky(??) one to get to go to the HPAC school and tend and care for those things.Ours as memory serves me were Ingersoll rands. is that what you guys had on the 688 boats?

Bubblehead Nuke
09-07-08, 12:34 PM
Ours as memory serves me were Ingersoll rands. is that what you guys had on the 688 boats?

Oh I feel so ashamed... I can still draw the basic layout from memory. I can tell you all about the dang blasted oilers on the front of it. Heck, I still remember the blowoff pressures of the relief valves (strange how you can remember this kind of B.S. YEARS later), but can I remember what name was cast into the side?? Nope..

But for some reason.. I do believe they were Worthington compressors

Rip
09-08-08, 10:13 AM
Ours as memory serves me were Ingersoll rands. is that what you guys had on the 688 boats?
Oh I feel so ashamed... I can still draw the basic layout from memory. I can tell you all about the dang blasted oilers on the front of it. Heck, I still remember the blowoff pressures of the relief valves (strange how you can remember this kind of B.S. YEARS later), but can I remember what name was cast into the side?? Nope..

But for some reason.. I do believe they were Worthington compressors

That is probably right. The name is familiar to me but was not the machinery type. I remember very well the diesel was a Fairbanks-Morse 8-1/8th.

sonar732
09-08-08, 01:09 PM
Hey there folks. If anyone is looking for help with guides, tactics, physics and so on lemme know. I got 13 yrs of experience that I can share (to some extent). Neal can verify that I am the real deal.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from folks

Pingjockey

Great to see you back Pingjockey! Why did you not reenlist?

Pingjockey
09-08-08, 03:47 PM
My family was more important than the navy basically. I missed my wife and kids and it was silly for them to move to CT. So I got out and moved to IL. Its nice to be back around the forums though. I been very busy as of late.

Frame57
09-08-08, 05:03 PM
My family was more important than the navy basically. I missed my wife and kids and it was silly for them to move to CT. So I got out and moved to IL. Its nice to be back around the forums though. I been very busy as of late.Married guys seemed to like boomer duty, I guess they had a regular schedule with two crews. I forget if you said you were on the Dallas. Ever know a fellow by the name of Carcioppolo? I think he may have retired before you were there.

Pingjockey
09-09-08, 08:27 AM
Never been on dallas.

I was on the following
SSN 759 (Jefferson City) <--- 688I
SSN 760 (Annapoils) <--- 688I
SSN 775 (Texas) <----Virginia

Frame57
09-09-08, 10:43 AM
Well, you should have been...:D

sonar732
09-09-08, 01:15 PM
My family was more important than the navy basically. I missed my wife and kids and it was silly for them to move to CT. So I got out and moved to IL. Its nice to be back around the forums though. I been very busy as of late.

I grew up in the Central Illinois area of Bloomington/Normal and Peoria. Nice to see a fellow Central Illinoisian! Were you able to square away a job after getting out? I'd imagine that the State of Illinois would love to have your skills!

Pingjockey
09-10-08, 01:18 PM
I work for a IT company supporting boeing in St louis at the moment. Its a really good gig so far.