PDA

View Full Version : Are minor-edits to GWX possible?

Neon2
08-23-08, 03:32 PM
Okay, as per normal I've made use of the search feature and multiple keyword searches, but it's fairly difficult to phrase as opposed to more simpler "GWX, Download" for example. (Furthermore, 195 pages of a GWX thread is rather intimidating to go through.)

So after playing GWX (2.1 with no changes), the modifications on the whole are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for but there's only two things which I'd be looking to "revert":

#1 - Ship identification. I like to balance gameplay and realism, but manually having to get close enough to view a flag is, well, for me balancing realism to the detriment of the gameplay. (Just my personal opinion, which is why I feel it's probably a good idea for GWX to implement, I'm just looking to revert it for my own use.)

#2 - Rudder graphic on the Nav Map. Half my reasoning is justifiable, but there's the other half that I just prefer having the look of it.

#3 - Upping the ammo for the Deck Gun, but that should be easy enough to find in a search with keywords.

So, to sum up, essentially are these changes feasible without spending like a billion years getting heavily involved in changing it or are there fairly simple config files or replacing the odd file here and there to gain the desired effect?

Any help/opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

Orion2012
08-23-08, 03:43 PM
Okay, as per normal I've made use of the search feature and multiple keyword searches, but it's fairly difficult to phrase as opposed to more simpler "GWX, Download" for example. (Furthermore, 195 pages of a GWX thread is rather intimidating to go through.)

So after playing GWX (2.1 with no changes), the modifications on the whole are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for but there's only two things which I'd be looking to "revert":

#1 - Ship identification. I like to balance gameplay and realism, but manually having to get close enough to view a flag is, well, for me balancing realism to the detrement of the gameplay. (Just my personal opinion, which is why I feel it's probably a good idea for GWX to implement, I'm just looking to revert it for my own use.)

#2 - Rudder graphic on the Nav Map. Half my reasoning is justifiable, but there's the other half that I just prefer having the look of it.

#3 - Upping the ammo for the Deck Gun, but that should be easy enough to find in a search with keywords.

So, to sum up, essentially are these changes feasible without spending like a billion years getting heavily involved in changing it or are there fairly simple config files or replacing the odd file here and there to gain the desired effect?

Any help/opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.
If your wanting to tweak the bearing line, you'll need the default dashline.dds and contline.dds, before you install GWX. Those can be found in the data/menu/gui folder. After installing GWX replace those files with the default ones you grabbed.

As far as identifing ship, you could always look for the "GWX Color Contacts" mod. It will add the red back to enemy contacts whil labling neutral green and allies (well, Axis ships, but our allies) blue.

As far as editing the deck gun ammo I would assume it would be in a .sim file for the uboat or a .cfg file. I'm sure someone else can tell you more.

If you need more help, feel free to PM me or post here, I'll make sure to check back.

Good Hunting and Welcome aboard!

Pisces
08-23-08, 03:53 PM
If your wanting to tweak the bearing line, you'll need the default dashline.dds and contline.dds, before you install GWX. Those can be found in the data/menu/gui folder. After installing GWX replace those files with the default ones you grabbed.I think you are mistaken with SH4. There are no .dds files in (my) SH3 folder structure. You must mean .tga files

Wreford-Brown
08-23-08, 04:12 PM
Upping the ammo for the deck gun is easy.
Open the following file: SilentHunterIII/data/Cfg/Basic

and adjust the following to your desired amount:

[SUBMARINE_AMMOLIMITS1] ;105mm
MaxAmmoPerSlot=110
[SUBMARINE_AMMOLIMITS2] ;88mm
MaxAmmoPerSlot=110

Dietrich
08-23-08, 04:14 PM

This one is is data\Cfg\Basic.cfg

I don't have the file to hand, so I can't give you the actual change, but it should be easy to find. Search on the deck gun name and scan from there.

Neon2
08-23-08, 05:13 PM
Awesome, after some heavy searching on the tip of Contact Color I found the "cure" so to speak and just tested it. So far, does exactly as I hoped. It does just override the .tga files, but there's a hell of a lot more than just one or two.

Thanks for the advice/pushing me in the right direction and I'll play around with the gun modding at some point. (It's fairly common to get hostility for these sorts of requests, so I was pleasantly surprised.)

Incase someone else digs up this thread of does a search, here's the link to the mod for reverting back the so-called "Bearing Line" and Allies, Neutral and Axis colourings:

http://files.filefront.com/GWX+Contact+Color7z/;9902069;/fileinfo.html

Right, I have a war to fight. X)

Wreford-Brown
08-23-08, 05:24 PM
Glad we could help and good hunting.

Orion2012
08-23-08, 05:59 PM
If your wanting to tweak the bearing line, you'll need the default dashline.dds and contline.dds, before you install GWX. Those can be found in the data/menu/gui folder. After installing GWX replace those files with the default ones you grabbed.I think you are mistaken with SH4. There are no .dds files in (my) SH3 folder structure. You must mean .tga files
;) I meant TGA files, it's the same concept, or at least same folder structure.

Glad the Contact Color mod is working out.

Just changing the contline.tga and dashline.tga would have given you just the contacts bearing lines and their "tails" back.

Jimbuna
08-24-08, 08:25 AM
Awesome, after some heavy searching on the tip of Contact Color I found the "cure" so to speak and just tested it. So far, does exactly as I hoped. It does just override the .tga files, but there's a hell of a lot more than just one or two.

Thanks for the advice/pushing me in the right direction and I'll play around with the gun modding at some point. (It's fairly common to get hostility for these sorts of requests, so I was pleasantly surprised.)

Incase someone else digs up this thread of does a search, here's the link to the mod for reverting back the so-called "Bearing Line" and Allies, Neutral and Axis colourings:

http://files.filefront.com/GWX+Contact+Color7z/;9902069;/fileinfo.html

Right, I have a war to fight. X)

Looks like you visited the jimbuna GWX2.0 FF site. :lol:

The two areas to change for ammo are in the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\GWX2.1\data\Cfg

Open the Basic Cfg and change the following: (based on 250 rounds)

[SUBMARINE_AMMOLIMITS1] ;105mm
MaxAmmoPerSlot=250
[SUBMARINE_AMMOLIMITS2] ;88mm
MaxAmmoPerSlot=250

and

[AMMO_TYPE0];10.5cm SK C/32
Idx=0
Year=1939
Month=1
;AP=40
;HE=250
;SS=20
AP=0
HE=250
SS=0
Renown=0
[AMMO_TYPE1];8.8cm SK C/35
Idx=1
Year=1939
Month=1
;AP=40
;HE=250
;SS=40
AP=0
HE=250
SS=0
Renown=0

Oh, BTW....welcome aboard http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Sailor Steve
08-24-08, 09:40 AM
Yes, WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Yes, Jim has the latest super-trackers installed. He knows everything about everybody who ever visits his site. He's either Santa Claus...or Satan Claws.

Neon2
08-24-08, 07:08 PM
Oh, BTW....welcome aboard http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

I did indeed. When trying to get GWX originally the "official" site linked was down and then I went to FileFront and its file structure system isn't very well done, so I never actually discovered the files at that point. I had to do a search on Isohunt for the torrent, but found the files a day later once the torrent had completed. /facepalm

Alls well with the game, managed to mod the ammo values for everything easily enough, got confused at first that the old values were still listed but never noticed the semi-colons commenting them out on the first look through - so it's all good.

I'm coming from Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl where a large amount of stuff can be altered through text files easily enough, so that's about the limit to my modding experiences. X)

Props to GWX and the team, when I seen the 500 page+ manual I nearly BAWWWWWED but the information is actually really interesting and one of the few times where I've seen developers present the information gathered from research as a "before" and how they've then interpreted that into the game as an "after".

Anyway, there's ships out there that needs torpedos missing them. /facepalm

Jimbuna
08-25-08, 08:28 AM

I did indeed. When trying to get GWX originally the "official" site linked was down and then I went to FileFront and its file structure system isn't very well done, so I never actually discovered the files at that point. I had to do a search on Isohunt for the torrent, but found the files a day later once the torrent had completed. /facepalm

Alls well with the game, managed to mod the ammo values for everything easily enough, got confused at first that the old values were still listed but never noticed the semi-colons commenting them out on the first look through - so it's all good.

I'm coming from Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl where a large amount of stuff can be altered through text files easily enough, so that's about the limit to my modding experiences. X)

Props to GWX and the team, when I seen the 500 page+ manual I nearly BAWWWWWED but the information is actually really interesting and one of the few times where I've seen developers present the information gathered from research as a "before" and how they've then interpreted that into the game as an "after".

Anyway, there's ships out there that needs torpedos missing them. /facepalm

Enjoy the GWXperience http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif