PDA

View Full Version : Changes

newbie124get
07-25-08, 01:16 AM
Is this correct that I hear no changes to the Dangerous Waters Database is allowed?

Now listen, i'm new to this game, I enjoy it, but there are some things I want to change. I got the DB Editor, works fine, understand it all and have gone through and changed values of weapons and ships that are just unrealistic.

I;m interested, suttle changes to the playable FFG whilst are changed and checked fine in the DB editor, do not show as being changed in the game itself, for instance when i go into the DB editor and change the carrying load of Harpoons for the FFG from 4 to 8, apply and save this back to the object.eod file, those changes dont appear in the game itself.

So... I assume that SCS has a wall up somewhere blocking those changes in the DB editor for the playable FFG from appearing in the game files themselves? yet they let the AI changed values to be represented, "example" I gave a US DDG Sunburn ASM's as a load-out, worked a treat.

Anyone shed some light on this for a newbie?

Cheers!

Dr.Sid
07-25-08, 03:29 AM
Database changes are allowed and are crucial part of already existing mods.

However .. changing playable units is more difficult. Some things, for example loadout are hard-coded in the game. While you can change speed of torpedo your ship will shoot, you can't change what torpedoes it will use.

What is not allowed is modification of the binaries, however many went over that border already, mostly for adding new playable platforms. Anyway for me the main problem lies in many small bugs which the games suffer and that would be hard to fix.

newbie124get
07-25-08, 08:54 PM
Does this also apply to sensors? What i'm trying to achieve is a greater range on engagement for the sm-2. WHen in the sensors section of DW Edit there are whats called detection curves that have a list of numbers ie: 24,500 - 5, I assume that the 24,000 represents the yards, but no idea what the 5 is for, could that be feet? 24,000 @ 5ft?

Is it possible to expand the detection length of the an/sp-49 radar?

ASWnut101
07-26-08, 01:10 AM
Does this also apply to sensors?

Pretty much everything that you can mess around with in DWEdit is "legal." :)

...there are whats called detection curves that have a list of numbers ie: 24,500 - 5, I assume that the 24,000 represents the yards, but no idea what the 5 is for, could that be feet? 24,000 @ 5ft?

It's in meters, I think.

And the 24,000-5 means that at 24,000 meters, the sensor looses 5% of its ability to see things. At least, that's how I think it works, seeing how there is practically no documentation.

Is it possible to expand the detection length of the an/sp-49 radar?

:yep:

newbie124get
07-26-08, 03:19 AM
Hmmm, not sure if that's how it works... For instance, as a test, i extended the range of the sm-2 out to 150000, then changed the sensors by your theory example: 46,000 - 2 meaning that at 46,000m the an/sp-49 only 2% of it's ability to track that target. But, at that range, even though I can select a radar track, I cannot launch the weapon at an incoming missle until around 27,000.

Further more, for air contact, I can track and engage an air contact at 64,000. To go one step further, surface contacts cannot be engaged by the sm-2 until at a range of 16,000.

These figures do not add up, why such a big difference in engaging air contacts as to incoming missiles, then ontop of that, surface vessels.

Molon Labe
07-26-08, 05:05 AM
Hmmm, not sure if that's how it works... For instance, as a test, i extended the range of the sm-2 out to 150000, then changed the sensors by your theory example: 46,000 - 2 meaning that at 46,000m the an/sp-49 only 2% of it's ability to track that target. But, at that range, even though I can select a radar track, I cannot launch the weapon at an incoming missle until around 27,000.

Further more, for air contact, I can track and engage an air contact at 64,000. To go one step further, surface contacts cannot be engaged by the sm-2 until at a range of 16,000.

These figures do not add up, why such a big difference in engaging air contacts as to incoming missiles, then ontop of that, surface vessels.
Launching at a target depends on having a true FCR flag; the an/sp-49 is pretty much irrelevant.

The reasons for the exact figures you're getting will depend on if you're using stock or lwami (I'm guessing with an engagement range for surface contacts of 16,000m you're using a lwami database). I don't know all the tricks, but lwami is set up to take earth curvature into consideration, while stock DW allows "over the horizon" engagement of surface contacts with the SM-2. At a minimum, this is because the Earth Curvature flag is set true for the FCRs in lwami, but there may also be other factors. I don't know for sure, but the difference in engagement ranges between missiles and air contacts (assuming they are at the same altitude) may be differences in radar cross section, which may determine how far inside the detection envelope a contact must get before its detected. Again, just a guess. But the Earth Curvature flag is definitely a factor if you are using the lwami database.