PDA

View Full Version : torpedos bouncing off

[LitFuseFilms]Robert
07-18-08, 03:31 PM
Evertime my torpedo hits the hull of a ship it just bounces off, Is anyone getting this? I have the Trigger Maru mod and the ROW mod, maybe something to do with the distance you are or? Any help would be great, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Webster
07-18-08, 03:41 PM
the steeper the angle the more likely to bounce off in a glancing blow.

the more realistic mod you use the more likely to have this so keep in mind if you cant get a good angle to shoot from, then go for an under the keel shot with magnetic trigger instead of contact impact trigger.

also remember torpedos were not reliable so you will see many duds and running too deep reflected in the game

also i noticed if your within 400m torps dont get a chance to arm before they hit causing duds.

[LitFuseFilms]Robert
07-18-08, 03:57 PM
Many thanks for the excellent information!

tater
07-19-08, 01:08 PM
USN Mk14 fish had a 400-450 yard arming distance to make sure the mk 6 magnetic detonator didn't go off due to the sub's hull (they were typically fired 8-10 seconds apart to prevent fratricide, as well).

TM includes a realistic arming distance (the stock game is set to 220m I believe).

Farinhir
07-19-08, 02:32 PM
There is the steep angles that cause deflections without triggering the firing pin. Next there is the problem with short distances, causing the torpedo to hit before they armed. Lasting. American torpedoes, while wanting to hit really close to 90 deg as possible, had trouble with hitting at exactly 90 deg. It would shatter the firing mechanism without setting off the torpedo. Optimum angles were something between 88 deg and 75 deg. Outside this works too, but this is better for a sure hit. When I was playing with manual targeting off, I always had torpedoes bouncing off because I was hitting them at 90 deg exactly. Now that I use manual firing solutions and the Dick O'Kane method I get less duds and more sunks.

With Dick O'Kane method I am always facing 90 deg to the targets course and firing from around 700yrds. The most I need to worry about is not being too close to the target, and not being too fast on the shot.

raymond6751
07-20-08, 05:54 AM
Duds are built into the game to reflect the historical fact that early war failures were common.

You're luck to get hits at all. Some of us are still working on that.

Later war duds are fewer. You just have to live that long.

Have you tried single missions, late war. You seem to have to firing technique. When you get frustrated, run a late war mission and relax in the glow of burning wrecks.

Seminole
07-20-08, 08:10 AM
the steeper the angle the more likely to bounce off in a glancing blow.

:hmm: ...which just happens to be exactly opposite of historical reality. When the navy finally investigated the torpedo failures the sub skippers were complaing about, they found one important piece of evidence. In test firing against a rock cliff, the torpedoes that hit directly "head on" suffered a crushing of the firing pin mechanism which failed to explode the warhead....while those that hit at an angle were the ones that went off.

So it seems the better Captains who set up for 90 degree shots had some of the worst 'hit' records in the early war. Some were unfairly chastised and removed from duty as sub commanders.

Like they say...no good deed will ever go unpunished....:shifty: