PDA

View Full Version : help - nasty situation inside!

barbu
07-18-08, 01:13 PM
I've played SH3 years ago, came back to it and... I forgot how to deal with supposedly simple situations like the one below :shifty:.

Please help. Tips, anything - I would be grateful.

Situation: October 1940, W coast of England. After having 5 ships sunk for about 9,000 tonnage :rock:, a destroyer has been on my tail. Well, technically, on my fins = on top of the sub. For ***twenty-four*** hours. I've tried everything: quick changing patterns, staying put (i.e. 0 knots), full flank. Battery is down to 25%. Periscope is gone and busted (don't ask). Torpedoes (if it matters): one left. The only thing that changes due to my tactics is that if I go flank or don't move the destroyer 'shadows' me (i.e. pings me and goes 'across' - I can hear him in the speakers going left to right or right to left) without throwing depth charges. I'm staying at a depth of 42 m. I've tried going to 60 -> "U-Boat destroyed by pressure". :(

I tried to find a FAQ around here, but no luck.

What to do to get the destroyer crew a good sleep (i.e. heading towards a home port)? They must be awfully tired after hunting me all day and night... not to mention my crew, who is exhausted, angry and nervous.

Help!

Bosje
07-18-08, 01:34 PM
I never ever had a destroyer hunt me for 24 hours, but have you tried Silent running, setting speed at 1 knot (rpm no more than 50 on both engines) and slipping away in real time (no time compression) while making 10 degree turns every now and then?

even in 1943 that gets me away from them after an hour or two

all i know is: rpm above 100 and they will detect you, time compression and they will detect you

good luck ;)

STEED
07-18-08, 02:01 PM
Should of dived deeper. ;)

As for being chased for 24 hours, my word what is that Destroyer crew on? :huh:

Wacky USA Coffee? :rotfl:

Your options are rather bleak by the looks of it. Go for Brock, go out in blood guts and glory.

raymond6751
07-18-08, 02:08 PM
I read somewhere on here that pinging doesn't always mean detected. I am also thinking that the DD crew have exhaustion numbers just as your crew do.

Try setting a 5 or 10 degree turn away at slow. The surface units have trouble locking on a turning target. Zig zag in a general course that will take you away to deeper waters. The turns should be 5-10 degrees only.

Good luck.:cry:

barbu
07-18-08, 03:59 PM
Well, guys, as you are reading this the crew are having some exquisite bratwurst in your honor at a fine Hamburg restaurant :up:. Wolfgang, the watch officer, has asked me to tell you that, should any of you visit Dresden anytime soon, he will be happy to be your host. I would take on that opportunity if I were you, I heard his sister is the most beautiful blond girl this side of Moscow ;).

IRL:
The RPM was 110 with 2 knots (="ahead slow").

---------> :o:x:roll: <------------

I reduced it to 1 knot via the manual dial, problem solved. I think the destroyer crew wanted to leave for a pub anyhow... the hunt had been going on for about 26 hours.

Funny bug: prior to starting this thread, during a moment of despair I had surfaced and shot my last torpedo at the destroyer from about 400 metres (to make things even more dramatic, it was a stern torpedo, with a 004 gyro angle of the target). The game got really confused at this point:
- no explosion (this makes sense, I dove immediately)
- my crew gave the 'happy cheer' sound
- a red "destroyed ship" icon appeared on the map, just like for the other ships I had destroyed in this mission
- this "ship" did not appear in the captain's log
- the destroyer continued to exist (trust me on this one) and followed me around for about 12 more hours.

Hmm. I think the game code got sleepy or stressed out from all the intense action. :rotfl:

Once more, many thanks to you all, you have saved my career and given me great tips for future such encounter. :D

superfecta
07-18-08, 06:00 PM
Thats interesting...
After a recent convoy attack, I was quietly slipping away when my NA officer reported enemy ship destroyed; but NO red icon appeared on the map. So I quickly ex-camed to a disabled cargo I was planning to finish off after loading external reserves. But it was still there! A check of my log DID give me credit for a different cargo. I managed to ex-cam to the remainder of the convoy; and sure enough a ship that looked almost engulfed in flames when it was still sailing away was missing from the remaining ships. And this was at least 25 mins. real time after I fired my last internal torp.

nirwana
07-19-08, 04:46 AM
according to my observations a score doesnt show up if:

- i loaded a saved game where the eals are already on their way taking out the
target(s)
- a ship wounded before saving goes down without receiving any more hits after
reloading

mcf1
07-19-08, 04:59 AM
I think, when you move to far away from a target you hit and it sinks, it won't count as a score.

Jimbuna
07-19-08, 06:28 AM
I think, when you move to far away from a target you hit and it sinks, it won't count as a score.

That would be the rendering range (approx 30km).