PDA

View Full Version : Clickable Range Dial Mod

Seminole
07-15-08, 09:52 PM
I was searching and ran across this mod . I installed it and it works really well...up to a little over 2,000 yards that is.

Reading through the thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111371

It seems one ought to be able to click on and input ranges beyond that distance.

from thread: It works, I hit em!!! One at very long range!!

(Well, at least to me... very long range means more than 2,000 yards)

Anyone care to explain how to go above the 2,000 yard limit I ran into...providing that it is possible to do so.?

TIA

Fincuan
07-15-08, 11:10 PM
I can confirm that it should work up to 10 - 11 kilometers by just following the advice given in the thread, but I'm not sure what's the problem here. I'd start by verifying that the Dials.cfg edits are correct, then check that this isn't the problem: FINALLY i found the bugger that blocked my mouse guidance of the Stadimeter.

It was the very top line of the commands.cfg file that had to few commands enabled. Somehow this screwed up the TDC......

[Commands]
CommandsNb=600

That one was in my modifications set to 500 clearly not enough when there is 566 commands in the file.....doh

If it still doesn't work you could try the JSGME/JTxE-enabled version found in the same thread, which does all the edits automatically(only movable range dial, no movable mast height dial).

Seminole
07-16-08, 07:53 AM
:hmm: ../.I am using the JSGME/JTxE-enabled version and I did follow the advice...but for some reason I can't fathom, I can't get above around 2100 yards range. :nope:

I'm stumped.:-?

Seminole
07-17-08, 07:50 AM
:shifty:

Munchausen
07-17-08, 03:17 PM
If you've made the changes as indicated in the thread, all you need do is place your mouse cursor over the range dial, hold down the left mouse button, and rotate the dial. If it won't move CW then try rotating it CCW.

Set the range you want (up to 11,000 yards) under the index marker and then send the data to the TDC.

Seminole
07-17-08, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is what I am doing... exactly.:o

It rotates fine but there is an upper limit I can't seem to get get past...thought today I was able to range as high as 4500 yards....which is probably as long a shot as I would ever want to attempt. Still it grates not being able to use it to it's full capacity.

I'm going to double double check the "changes'....there must be something I'm overlooking. :shifty: :-? :D

Seminole
07-17-08, 06:18 PM
Thanks Munchausen...I went back to double check and sure enough...there was a missing semicoln. :huh: Now I can reach out and touch somebody...even at 11,000 yds.:smug:

The author of the original thread used White lettering to indicate the required changes and that color doesn't show up on my screen too well. I only saw it when I highlighted the entire dial.cfg.

:hmm: ..But since I was using the DL of the GME version there must be an error in that download version....since I had not made any changes manually...only been checking over the changes the dl version made.

Anyway...glad it is resolved...thanks again.:up:

Fincuan
07-18-08, 05:59 AM
:hmm: ..But since I was using the DL of the GME version there must be an error in that download version....since I had not made any changes manually...only been checking over the changes the dl version made.

The JSGME/JTxE version is packed by me(iirc it's straight from ottos' pack of Ini mods), but what's strange is that it worked fine when I tested it before uploading and has worked fine for the months after that :huh: Will look into it when I get home. I never tested it with imperial units though, which is one thing that might explain this.

Munchausen
07-18-08, 01:49 PM
If "Relative Drag" isn't enabled, it makes it difficult to rotate the wheel(s) properly. Ergo, depending on where you place the mouse cursor, you can only rotate so far ... then you lose control.

I also discovered that, when using Ottos' original changes, you can't move the mast height indexer. But it will move automatically if (and only if) you click on the check-mark in the recognition manual. Personally, I modded my game to have the CE identify a target ... and thought that would also automatically input mast height. It doesn't ... so I made additional changes to the file. Then Ottos posted the bit about using the recognition manual ... and he was correct.