PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Do fans tilt sideways in '40-'45?

skwasjer
07-10-08, 03:33 AM
While working on the interior fan animations, I just thought of this. Do the fans actually tilt sideways as well. I have no idea. If they did, it would be nice to see this animation as well in the interiors on some fans.

Any idea?

Xantrokoles
07-10-08, 03:39 AM
I always though the ones in the sub int were static ones.

But though its not unrealistic to have them tilting, so why don't you have a look at it:D

I guess that'S a non googleable thing.

skwasjer
07-10-08, 03:44 AM
Well, it's a bit more work (considering all subs, and 2-3 per sub CT/CR), and I don't want to hear afterwards that the fans couldn't do that.

Yea, how do you google that!

Xantrokoles
07-10-08, 03:50 AM
Ok, I am sure the ones in the connings didn't move:yep:

Digital_Trucker
07-10-08, 11:01 AM
You google that by typing in oscillating fan invention date:rotfl:

And you learn all kinds of interesting (albeit not very useful) information.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:BXHh3FcSNvAJ:www.hudsonscustommachi ning.com/FunFanFacts.doc+oscillating+fan+invention+date&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://www.hudsonscustommachining.com/

Evidently they had oscillating fans as far back as 1910 (at least).

Or you could try Googling oscillating fan history and get this

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/articles/nov07/fans.asp

Don't anyone say it either, I know I have too much time on my hands:rotfl:

Sailor Steve
07-10-08, 11:02 AM
If you're asking whether they swing back and forth by themselves, I'm certain that they didn't.

Here is the conning tower of USS Cod. You can zoom in on the fan, and I'm pretty sure it was on a swivel mount, so it could be moved by hand, but no automatic movement.
http://www.usscod.org/graphics/conningtower.mov

Control Room:
http://www.usscod.org/graphics/controlroom.mov

AVGWarhawk
07-10-08, 11:12 AM
Fans on the Torsk move by hand only.

Sailor Steve
07-10-08, 11:15 AM
Evidently they had oscillating fans as far back as 1910 (at least).
But government procurement policy has always been to buy the cheapest product for the highest price. So, static fans for twice what they could have bought a good one for at the local hardware store.:rotfl:

skwasjer
07-10-08, 01:27 PM
Well, then that's simple, I'll stick with static mounts... Thanks for the info :up:

Digital_Trucker
07-10-08, 01:58 PM
Evidently they had oscillating fans as far back as 1910 (at least). But government procurement policy has always been to buy the cheapest product for the highest price. So, static fans for twice what they could have bought a good one for at the local hardware store.:rotfl:
How could I have forgotten the $500 toilet lids and $200 hammers (don't quote me on the prices, I don't shop often:rotfl:)? Well, as long as the fans spin the 3D characters should be happier than before. Now all we need is nose-hairs blowing in the breeze when they walk in front of the fans:p

Hartmann
07-10-08, 02:29 PM
Tilt sideways = more noise :hmm:

skwasjer
07-10-08, 02:43 PM
Evidently they had oscillating fans as far back as 1910 (at least). But government procurement policy has always been to buy the cheapest product for the highest price. So, static fans for twice what they could have bought a good one for at the local hardware store.:rotfl:
How could I have forgotten the $500 toilet lids and $200 hammers (don't quote me on the prices, I don't shop often:rotfl:)? Well, as long as the fans spin the 3D characters should be happier than before. Now all we need is nose-hairs blowing in the breeze when they walk in front of the fans:p
First, get them to walk... :88)

skwasjer
07-10-08, 02:44 PM
Tilt sideways = more noise :hmm:
I'm sure they would shut off equipment not truely necessary under combat operations... I was just asking, since I'm doing the fan animations now, figured I'd make sure it didn't need an overhaul later...

Suicide Charlie
07-10-08, 04:41 PM
I also have to imagine that a number of those things having little motors to oscillate adds to a power draw as well. It may not be much, but when you have a number of them through out the boat running constantly it has to be using some amount of energy that could have gone to a much more important function. On top of that electronics and motors weren't as effecient as they are today so while we may think of a fan beign nothing today it could have drawn a lot more power back then.

Webster
07-11-08, 07:25 PM
my 2 cents:

i think its a moot point weather they had them at that date in time (but im sure they did since its simple gears driven operation) because in my opinion logic dictates they would never put them in a sub. they put only what was necessary and were not concerned with crew comfort.

the ones im aware of are loosely connected by gears to the main drive shaft of the motor to allow the movement and swing predetermined by the gears. they would be hard to keep quiet for silent running since just turning them off wouldnt stop them from being able to flop around being depth charged or with the subs movement causing the gears to jiggle and make noises. in my opinion someone would literally have to hold them still to prevent this. i just dont think they had anything with tight enough tolerances back then to be silent for sub use.

Sailor Steve
07-11-08, 08:20 PM
they put only what was necessary and were not concerned with crew comfort.
Laundry facilities? Showers? Ice cream makers? Actual air conditioning? US boats had all those. The Germans were the ones not concerned with comfort. I don't know if they had fans at all.

Webster
07-12-08, 01:13 AM
they put only what was necessary and were not concerned with crew comfort.
Laundry facilities? Showers? Ice cream makers? Actual air conditioning? US boats had all those. The Germans were the ones not concerned with comfort. I don't know if they had fans at all.

quite true, they werent heartless and wanted to keep the crew moral high but everything listed besides the ice cream maker has some true need to it beyond comfort, laundry and showers were for hygene and maintaining good crew health, the a/c was considered a necessity for humidity control of electrical equipt and not solely for the crews comfort even though im sure the crew felt the heat alone made it feel like a necessity to have lol.