PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Map Tools

Suicide Charlie
06-16-08, 08:43 PM
I did a search the other day for any sort of mods that dealt with the tools at your disposal on your Nav map. I waded through about three pages before determining that either there was nothing there or nothing I was really looking for. So, if I missed this I'm sorry.

I what I'm really looking for or I just wondering if it's even possible is the addition of another grease pencil tool. This one allowing free hand applications. I'm interested in being able to create curved plot lines on my map. Reason being is I keep a journal of patrol logs and map entries. I use these notes that I've created to construct shipping lanes, search aircraft sighting with their possible bases, etc., etc.

While I know that the game came with a map that haphazardly marks shipping lanes with their dates as well as aircraft bases I like to put together an overall picture that might be a little more accurate or specific to my own findings.

Each boat/campaign has their own notes, so when I start a new one I don't mark down my map with things I found on another campaign.

In short I'm looking for another tool to help me mark up my in game map at the beginning/duration of patrols.

I guess the next best thing would be to somehow access the Nav map outside of the game and photoshop in notes. Problem is that with the way magnification works I'm not sure this is possible.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

*EDIT: Crap, I put this in the wrong forum. If a mod could move this to the Mods Workshop that'd be sweet. Thank you.*

-Pv-
06-17-08, 09:18 PM
I'm unaware of any tool to do what you describe.

I have real world maps I use to remind me of historical routes and times.

I also place Xs using the pencil at the location of important events in the game as I play. Like you say, not every mission or career plays exactly the same.

I see no value in keeping game information between patrols that my historical maps do not provide because the information will go away anyway.

If, however I cared that much to track that kind of information, I could always screenshot the Nav map once in a while.
-Pv-

geosub1978
06-18-08, 10:25 AM
What is really missing is the speed-distance Multi Point Divider Rulers, in order to evaluate the STRI PLOT plotting method.

-Pv-
06-18-08, 10:25 PM
I create a series of ruler points end to end. I also create a series of attack circles to help me visualise where I need to be when. Easy.
-Pv-

geosub1978
06-18-08, 11:12 PM
I don't know if we talk about the same thing but the speed-distance ruller, is a line divided in steps, which is the distance in yds that the target covers in 3 minutes. The ruller is initially matched on the first plotted bearing and then by rotating it you match it with the rest bearings that you have to plot every 3 minutes. Of course:

a) The scale of the ruller has to be the same of the map.

b) You have to plott at least 3 bearings before you match the ruller.

c) You try diffrent speeds in order to match the ruller on the bearings

d) You try diffrent rotations for the same reason

e) If you have a lot of solutions, by turning tha submarine, the deviation of the bearing rate will reject the incorrect solutions.

f) You may know the heading/distance of the target visually so you can apply them

h) Finally ypou have: Distance-Speed-Coarse!

This is called STRI PLOT and it is used since WW1 untill today in all submarines in the world!

You can find it in Dangerous Waters in TMA station!