PDA

View Full Version : no captains cabin yet for sh4?

RICH12ACE
06-14-08, 03:59 PM
hi all with all these great mods to download for sh4 nobody has made a good captains cabin yet :nope: can some one make one?:hmm:

gimpy117
06-14-08, 04:27 PM
harder than it looks...

Captain America
06-14-08, 05:13 PM
hi all with all these great mods to download for sh4 nobody has made a good captains cabin yet :nope: can some one make one?:hmm:

In the process of preparing such a task...trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I publicly take on/promise such a project. I'm going to the USS Ling tomorrow morning to take some high res photos of the officer's quarters which is what I would like to model. When I have more info and my practice tests work out I'll start a thread because I am certain I will need opinions and help.

AVGWarhawk
06-14-08, 05:52 PM
More power to you Capt America if you can get it done:up:

LukeFF
06-14-08, 06:20 PM
And what exactly would it to gameplay that isn't already there? The only reason it's modeled in U-boats is because it's adjacent to the sonar and radio/radar rooms. It's one of those things that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of people will look at once, say, "that's nice" and then never look at it again.

Also, do look at a layout plan of a typical fleet submarine. There are a lot of other compartments NOT modeled in SH4 that would need to be modeled in order for a captain's cabin to fit in properly.

Arclight
06-14-08, 06:34 PM
:huh: What kinda attitude is that? I for one would love my own cabin, even if only so I could retire there before going to the map and up the TC.

"If you need me, I'll be in my cabin"
"Aye, capt'n"
"Aircraft spotted, sir!"
"Crash dive, call the captain!"

Maybe it wouldn't add much to gameplay, but it would definetly add to immersion. They way it's now, you're either in the control room, conning tower or on the bridge, 24/7. The crew can rest somewhere, so why not the skipper?

I like it. :up:

Hartmann
06-14-08, 07:18 PM
it would add things to the gameplay if the devs use the same system of SH1.
In sh1 there are a calendar with the moon phases, a log, and the ships book identification.also you can put a safe with the orders for some missions, like deploy agents and other things.information about weapons, manuals...

But a pure eye candy cabin i donīt think that could be needed because it donīt add nothing to the gameplay.

in the case of sh3 it was there because is the same compartment of the radio and sonar.

gimpy117
06-14-08, 08:59 PM
make it what you go to while your in port...

DS
06-14-08, 09:31 PM
Slight OT as the following is probably much more than we can hope for in a mod, but it is a plug for having a Captain's cabin in SH5+.

A functioning Captain's cabin (as stated earlier, with calendar, free writting log book, and other features) would be great. I also thought the crew management function should be administered there in a less "graphical" way (ie: make it look something more like what the Captain would have used for knowing who's assigned to what).

I've also alway thought that time compression above X amount (say, 32x) should only be available when in the Captain's cabin, to simulate sleeping/working in your cabin during the down times of the voyage. The most common usage of time compression (for me anyway) in the map mode when travelling long distances sort of takes away from immersion.

Lastly, as a new feature, I would love some day to be able to "write" standing orders for my watch crew (probably using an "if/then" drop down selection system on a "notebook" whereby you can tell your crew exactly what to do in various forseeable circumstances such as,

IF hostile warship spotted, THEN time compression to 1x and sound general quarters.

IF sound contact detected while submerged, THEN slow to 1/3 speed and sound general quaters.

IF aircraft spotted, THEN time compression to 1x and crash dive.

IF enemy merchant spotted, THEN increase to flank and set course for intercept.
and so on.

I think this would be a great feature in future generations of SH.

gimpy117
06-14-08, 10:22 PM
I agree that would be nice...
but all that would need serious AI work

I would personally like a crew you can talk to...they tell you things like in oblivion
maybe the chief could give you damage reports vocally, suggustions etc....

sh5 better have the whole boat modeled too

LukeFF
06-14-08, 10:27 PM
:huh: What kinda attitude is that?

Maybe it wouldn't add much to gameplay

My point exactly. Last time I checked, this forum was for the free exchange of ideas, which includes people's opinions of what they think is a good idea and what's not. Just because I disagree with an idea for a mod doesn't mean I have a bad attitude. :roll:

Arclight
06-15-08, 01:14 AM
Ow come on, don't take it like that. :cry:

And the sentence was "Maybe it wouldn't add much to gameplay, but it would definetly add to immersion.", which is just my opinion. I agree a cabin for just eye-candy might as well be left out, but the ideas for a lunar calendar and such are pretty good imho. Just felt a bit like you shot it down before it had a chance to even take off. Your opinion just came across a bit harsh, that's all. ;)

Saying "I don't think that would add much to gameplay" ( :hmm: ) is different from "And what exactly would it to gameplay that isn't already there?" ( :arrgh!: ), or is it just me?

msalama
06-15-08, 02:55 AM
Chill, gentlemen! We can't all agree on everything, but is that the end of the world? Hardly ;)

But FWIW, I'd love to see the captain's quarters added to SHIV too if possible. Adds to the immersion IMHO - used to use it constantly in SH3 myself, because even a Kaleun needs a beauty nap every now and then ;)

AVGWarhawk
06-15-08, 06:08 AM
I want a captains quarters. Then I can mod in pictures of my wife and kids. :D

Arclight
06-15-08, 06:24 AM
used to use it constantly in SH3 myself, because even a Kaleun needs a beauty nap every now and then ;)
Indeed, wouldn't want to fall to sleep on station, now would would we? I also used it after sending a status report and waiting for the usual "keep up the good work" reply. You could keep an eye on the radioman from your bed, was pretty cool to see him look away from his station and kinda turn to you to report "message received". :cool:

Luke, I'm sorry if I offended you, I truly ment it lighthearted. I apolegize for it coming across the way it did, English isn't my native language so I probably could have worded it better.

Should have said that in the first place, huh? :doh: :oops:

Digital_Trucker
06-15-08, 08:56 AM
"Build it and they will come"

Schroeder
06-15-08, 09:54 AM
Wetwarev7 has converted the captain's bunk from SHIII to SHIV.
But it seems not to be available anymore.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114979

RICH12ACE
06-15-08, 04:07 PM
great news captian america hope you can get it done

John W. Hamm
06-16-08, 12:06 AM
I think anything that adds immersion is great

LukeFF
06-16-08, 12:14 AM
Luke, I'm sorry if I offended you, I truly ment it lighthearted. I apolegize for it coming across the way it did, English isn't my native language so I probably could have worded it better.

Oh, no big deal, don't worry about it. :up: I, like anyone else, would like to have additional compartments added if they had some sort of functional use. Without that, though, it's just chrome in the end.

Torpex752
06-16-08, 06:00 AM
I think anything that adds immersion is great

Ditto! And an improvement.

Frank

Captain America
06-16-08, 01:28 PM
Lets all remember that unlike sh3, sh4 is completely driven by that bar at the bottom of the screen. So the existing interiors already do not add much to gameplay but tons to immersion. Thanks to the work of various people that is slightly changing now.

However, where I do agree with the opposing view is that if a new interior were to be added it should have some basic functionality like the existing interiors otherwise it's just wasted polygons. That said, the following are my reasons why the officers quarters was chosen as the best choice for this.

I. The captain's cabin is located in there (doh).

II. It's directly connected to fore of the control room. i.e. its not another room several compartments fore or aft of the CR. To click on a door to be magically teleported several compartments away would kill the continuity of travel inside the sub.

III. Functionality. Yes it would be awesome to model for example the engine rooms. But it would just be a static room. I can't add anything new other than what the game mechanics already provide for us. What other room could be modeled? Aft of the CR is the crew galley and crew quarters. I can't add a working kitchen and the crew's quarters are just a bunch of beds. The only other option would be the torp rooms but that conflicts with number II. in my list and besides the captain of the boat wouldn't hang out in there. :D

I am a man of my word...yesterday I took the pics of the officer's quarters as promised. I'll post a new thread very soon with losts of pics once I finish up a couple of mods I'm working on. Upon my visit I realized that there is a good amount of existing functionality that could be implemented.

Depth gauge above captain's bed:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5057/cptroomdepthet2.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cptroomdepthet2.jpg)

Compass above captain's desk:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6344/cptroomcompwf2.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cptroomcompwf2.jpg)

Additional gauges in hallway adjacent from the wardroom:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6818/oqgaugeskt9.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oqgaugeskt9.jpg)

Other things that quickly come to mind...
Clickable objects for the following:
- Gramophone and/or radio
- Log book
- Ship ID book

So imo, I choose the OQ's as the best option. Sure its not necessary, but at least we'll have an additional place to spend those hours between hunts to listen to our music collections or whatever else our role playing hearts desire.

Edit: Imageshack craps out sometimes so it may appear as if the pics are not there but the links work.

msalama
06-16-08, 01:56 PM
:rock:

RICH12ACE
06-17-08, 09:12 AM
http://WWW.MACKINNON.ORG/BOWFIN-CMDRBUNK.JPG

BH
06-17-08, 11:40 PM
I also think this is an excellent idea. I remember before the game was released that the devs originally intended to included more compartments but it was not possible on their deadline.

Munchausen
06-18-08, 08:22 PM
Without that, though, it's just chrome in the end.

:yep: I like chrome. Besides, what are "blue" water and "natural" sunsets if not chrome?

gimpy117
06-18-08, 09:25 PM
I also think this is an excellent idea. I remember before the game was released that the devs originally intended to included more compartments but it was not possible on their deadline.

where did you hear this???

Ducimus
06-18-08, 09:41 PM
This litttle bit of work, is a tremendous undertaking i think. I really hope you can pull it off and get it working Captain America, ive always wanted more interior rendering. If i had my way, the entire boat would be rendered, or at the least, one compartment past the control room, both for and aft. (ie, two additional compartments total), but, thats just me dreaming about things i wish was orginally done when the game was in development.

I can also however, see Luke's point in his argument. Case in point is the alarm klaxon "switches" i added in the conning tower in last version of TM. I wanted a more immersive interior, it didnt matter if id acutally use them or not. Infact while i was positioning and working those switchs in, i knew damn well id never use them, but did it anyway. For two reasons:

1. Functioning interior. I hate the static interior in SH4. Im so nit picky about this, that If i had my way, everything would be useable in 3d, right down to the TDC like it did in SH3. Even if i didnt use it in 3d, i want it there anyway, which leads me to reason number 2:

2. Immersion. This is a big hook that keeps you playing. To be sucked into the enviorment. The game has to be believable, and the closer it is to the game having a "life of it's own" the more immersive it is to where no one will look at it and say, "this game has no soul". I said just that when i first started modding for Sh4. I just didn't want to admit it openly. I look at the interiors now after all the work ive done in them (alot of trial and error stuff that nobody will ever see is part of this), and its alot better then before, it has a soul now i think, but still a bit too static for my taste. My desire to improve immersion in the submarines interior is handicapped by controllers that worked fine in SH3, but dont in SH4. Kinda ticks me off.

Anyway, a captains cabin. Will everyone use it? Nope. Could the game use it? Most definatly.

Captain America
06-18-08, 10:58 PM
This litttle bit of work, is a tremendous undertaking i think. I really hope you can pull it off and get it working Captain America, ive always wanted more interior rendering. If i had my way, the entire boat would be rendered, or at the least, one compartment past the control room, both for and aft.

I'm hoping you'll help me one way or another on this undertaking. In between breaks of course...:cool:

I can also however, see Luke's point in his argument. Case in point is the alarm klaxon "switches" i added in the conning tower in last version of TM. I wanted a more immersive interior, it didnt matter if id acutally use them or not. Infact while i was positioning and working those switchs in, i knew damn well id never use them, but did it anyway.

Are you kidding me? :p I always use those switches. They actually are one of the things that triggerd me to undertake this project. I took these pictures the other day while at the Ling to pay homage to you. (I was saving to post it in my actual mod thread)

Control Room Klaxon switches

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/6673/ducimus1hm7.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ducimus1hm7.jpg)

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9258/ducimus2en5.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ducimus2en5.jpg)

You know these are soooo getting added to the CR.

TM definately gave this game a soul and is the primary reason why I even thought about starting this.

Ducimus
06-19-08, 11:39 AM
^ He makes a good point.

Now, i don't know much about 3d modeling (wish i did, but not patient enough to learn), Anything ive done that resembles that (klaxons), was only accomplished because i could take a "lego block" approach, thanks to the robust functionality of S3D. But this much i do know....

What will more likely have to happen, is the existing control room will have to be elongated. When i said this was a huge undertaking, i was thinking about diving ducks open hatch mod in sh3. I think he ran into the same problem. While it looks like theres two rooms with the hatch open, its acutally just ONE room.

Ducimus
06-19-08, 02:23 PM
I was thinking about this some more, and i think the bottom line here is they'll be two approachs. One may work, or both may not.

single dat approach. already discussed.

New dat approach.
This needs a proof of concept before anyone would spend too much time in this. My thoughts on this are several.

1.) Fleet boats have alot of unused camera nodes available to them. Interior aft camera, and the uboat captains cabin come to mind. Even the captains bed node. So creating a node/anchor point into a new dat for a camera, isn't any problem. (question is, will it be out of sectors or not).

2.) Fleet boat interiors are NOT the same as the uboat interiors. Uboat interiors have 3 dats. CT, RR, and CR. Their position is CT above the CR, with the radio room behind the CR. Fleet boat interiors only have two dats. The CR and the CT. The CT is located in the same place as the uboat RR. This is fortuitious because the captains cabin for our intents, is located forward of the CR, not aft of it. Now the overall point here is systemically, the game CAN support 3 dats for an interior, as evidenced by uboat interiors, while Fleet boats only have two dats. The trick is, making the proper "call" to this system so the new dat plugs into it. Either that, or the game is simply hardcoded to say X has 2 dats, and Y has 3 dats, and thats that. I hope not.

3.) I have made the observation that in SH4, at least for fleet boat interiors, the camera positioning is systemically independant of the interior and how its oriented. WHat leads me to say this, is when i fixed the CT dive angle. All i did was rotate the camera node (the one inside the dat, that the camera.dat anchors to), 180 degrees, and the problem was solved. This took me completely by surpise. Infact, you can rotate the acutal interior "supernode" and the camera orientation any which way you want seperately, they seem to behave independantly of the other. It's also worth nothing that the fleet interior models are backwards. Or so i am told by Dan. (they compiler had a goof).

edit:

It just occured to me what may have to happen is the orientation of the CT needs to be moved to above the control room (just like the uboat interiors), and the new captains cabin moved to where the CT currently is. It's a good bet that might work, because thats what the game recongizes in terms of positioning.

edit: I just got a wild idea to prove or disprove this approach.

Take the existing uboat RR. Strip the hell out of it. (radar/sonar stuff so theres no conflicts), remap it, change a few node names, rename the file so its in sequence with the rest of the interior your using (gato for example), assign a camera to it, make a focusable object somewhere in the control room, and fire that puppy up and see what happends.

Hitman
06-19-08, 02:44 PM
Actually, if adding the full compartment like in SH3 was possible, then I would think BIG and leave the proper space/nodes there for later additions. I'm thinking of a captain's cabin in front of the radio room -which was the disposition in fleet boats?- so the captain's cabin gives you access to the crew management and the radio room to messages, radio, gramophone, etc. :hmm:

Ducimus
06-19-08, 02:48 PM
If i was thinking big, and this approach worked (IE, mimc how uboat interiors are set up), id go for officers country.
http://www.maritime.org/tour/tfbcvr.htm

It's not a big thign to set up the camera so its a free cam.

However, as mentioned, theres proabbly only so much "room" set aside for interiors. If you make it too long, it might not work correctly.

Captain America
06-19-08, 04:44 PM
@Ducimus and Mikhayl...

You both bring up many good points. Regarding the "out of sectors" issue; I've been battling this for a while. I had many tests in mind but had to stop because I wanted to release the prop mod and I was also working on a small mod for TM.

To be honest I wasn't too worried about this issue...I just thought it would end up being solved eventually by someone if I couldn't. However, I am a bit worried now as I see the extent of testing people like yourselves have undergone. It just doesn't make any logical sense how the camera can stop working beyond that point. I remember as a test I basically cloned the CR room, removed a wall from each and joined the two. I even welded the vertices together for extra anal-ness. So, theoretically it was one object/model.....the damn thing still gave me out of sectors!
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/445/crclonefv1.th.jpg (http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crclonefv1.jpg)

Ducimus, I am very interested in the ideas you mentioned. Keep them comming! I am going to re-read your posts and try some of them out later on. I'm thinking about putting the mod for TM on hold just to start messing with this a.s.a.p.

There must be a way to solve this and I am sure with a little help from everyone we'll eventually find a solution. I'm about ready to start tearing apart the CameraManager/Behavior .ACT files with my hex editor if I have to since I noticed some points of interest. :arrgh!:

skwasjer
06-19-08, 06:35 PM
I think I have some good news here. The main interior node has some data left that I never implemented in S3D because I didn't understand fully what they are for. This thread lit a bulb, so I headed back and analyzed the data. The data contains what appears to be a bounding box which would mean we have control over the camera area. This is all theory right now, but here are some example values:

All values are in what I pressume to be: MinVector3, MaxVector3

Gato CT:
-0,2660553 -0,06780937 -0,6525155
0,2661558 0,2619942 0,001811291

Gato CR:
-0,105597 -0,1358785 -0,1649883
0,105597 0,1270147 0,1649883

As said I have not verified this yet, but I will in a bit...

[edit] And I do not believe the bounding area is hard coded anyway. That's not the style in which the game is made... So it's somewhere for sure...

Ducimus
06-19-08, 06:48 PM
That does sound promising skwasjer.

edit:

at any rate, ill try monkeying around with the ideas i mentioned this weekend if i have the time.

skwasjer
06-19-08, 06:49 PM
Yep, it worked. I increased the bounding box by 8 and had no problem to fly away for a long distance. The below shot isn't even near the max before I left the camera zone.

[edit] One thing to note though, is the fog gets denser at longer distances so this may need to be tweaked... I couldn't even see the CR anymore at some point...

http://sh4.skwas.net/media/gato_boundingbox.jpg

Ducimus
06-19-08, 06:51 PM
(insert tons of praise for skwasjer here) :up:

skwasjer
06-19-08, 06:54 PM
It only means more work for me (to support in S3D) :rotfl:

But you do know this means I expect FULLY MODDED INTERIORS FROM FORE TORP TO BACK TORP ROOM, RIGHT!??

Ducimus
06-19-08, 06:57 PM
You guys hear that? Zeus has issued an edict! :lol:

Ducimus
06-19-08, 07:06 PM
lI can see some nice useless eye candy coming :D

I have to admit, i am a critic of eye candy. Particuarly when the desire for eyecandy breaks functionality. But when it comes to the interior of the submarine, i never considered any part of it useless eyecandy. In my opinion, something is wrong with a submarine sim when you spend more time in the external camera going "ohh.. ahhh", then you do with the internal camera. Every dial should work, every dial and control should have purpose, and it should be entirely possible to command the submarine from the 3D view without ever going to a 2D view (excepting plotting).

skwasjer
06-19-08, 07:06 PM
:ping:

I see another problem in the future, we will all be needing new GFX cards to be able to run such mods :lol:

Ducimus
06-19-08, 07:09 PM
Minor detail! :88)

edit: since were talking interiors here, has anyone gotten the colorchanger controller to work? (i think thats it's name). Primary use is for torpedo status indictors in the CT or CR. This one really put a showstopper on some ideas i had.

skwasjer
06-19-08, 07:26 PM
Doesn't ring a bell Ducimus, can't find it in my definitions... I don't know every controller it's function though so I may not have an answer. I do know about a TextureChanger controller though, and well, it's used to shift a texture over a surface relative to the original material properties defined on the model (ie.: can be used to change state depending on an action/event).

I really have to hit the sack now. :dead:

Hitman
06-20-08, 02:00 AM
One thing to note though, is the fog gets denser at longer distances so this may need to be tweaked... I couldn't even see the CR anymore at some point...

That's not completely bad if we want to create more compartments....by the time you arrive to the diesels compartment there will be plenty of "simulated" smoke in the room :lol:

Just joking, magnificient effort and always tons of praise for you skwasjer, as Ducimus said :up:

sergbuto
06-20-08, 04:03 AM
Yep, it worked. I increased the bounding box by 8 and had no problem to fly away for a long distance. The below shot isn't even near the max before I left the camera zone.

Good find, skwasjer. Though I did not have much problem with "out of sectors" issue, instead wanted to have some stoppers which would keep a player from going into/through the walls of interior 3D models. I guess collision spheres would be one of solutions but that would require significant amount of work.

RICH12ACE
06-20-08, 05:33 AM
great news this mod is looking good! :yep:

Ducimus
06-20-08, 11:34 AM
Hi Ducimus, the "selfcolor" actually works, but it's not visible because of the new lighting in SH4 compared to SH3. That's mostly because the "omni light" nodes used to enlight the characters are not placed like the visible lights. For the type IX they're basically in 3 rows running along the room at mid-height, and I guess it's the same for all other interiors. I think it's made that way to have a fairly "clear" room, in the type II conversion I placed the omni lights right where the 3D light bulbs are and it's indeed way darker than any other interior especially at floor level (with the post process effect, otherwise it's not so dark).
Uh well, so, the selfcolor :lol: If there's an omnilight too close to the "selfcoloring" light then it will nullify the color. In both stock u-boote all the TDC and torpedo lights appear to be grey/yellowish. In the type II since the omnilight are much higher in the room they don't affect the selfcolouring lights.
Problem with the omnilights IMO is that they are too dim. If you place them on the real lightbulb spot the floor will be dark and some crewmen will have some very dark/black parts. With the stock settings it's all clear but if you look closely you will see light coming from nowhere, like a crewman's face all lit when the bulb is actually behind him etc.
But I suppose you're after a "living" christmas tree, then I guess you could move only one omnilight, this shouldn't affect too much the overall lighting of the room.
Sorry for the lengthy post :lol:

Thanks for info. I called it "selfcolor" cause thats what i remembered it as. I acutally havent opened an editor of any sort in about two or three weeks. As was noted, its probably texturechanger. I have an oddway of remembering things.

Acutally my goal isn't so much as a living christmas tree as so much as to get torpedo status indicator lights in the conning tower. That whole board where the firing keys are at mounted in the conning tower i was going to rework. Here, i ran into another problem. Selecting a tube. I dont remember the specifics, but what it boiled down to was it didnt matter how many "toggle tube" switch's you put in, because the game would only toggle the currently selected tube. So ALL the swtiches opened or closed the current seletected tube. So then there was what i considered the "old way", of individually opening tubes, but herein, theres a problem of a very noticeable lag delay when opening an individual tube. It was anything but "ergonomic" for want of a better term. After that, i just scrapped the idea and moved on to something else.

Captain America
06-22-08, 12:29 PM
I'm a little late on the congratulatories...but excellent find skwasjer!! :up:
It appears everytime we run into a dead end you come to the rescue.

I was trying to find the entry you mentioned to make the changes to the boundaries...I want to get a head start on this so that by the time its available in S3D I'll have some work invested. I believe you said it was located in the interior.dat file - so I tried searching in float (reversed) some of the values you listed previously (gato for example). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any of the values.

Can you confirm the file and offset?

skwasjer
06-22-08, 05:18 PM
If you send me the files you want to change (my SH4 installs are all abused beyond the point where I don't trust myself to have clean files :rotfl: ), I will do it for you. I can expand the boxes by a large amount so you can play around as much as you like. In time, you can then reduce the bounding box again to the required size.

If you still want to do it yourself, you can go to the offset of the root node, take the size of the chunk, add it to the offset, and then move 28 bytes back. You will find the values there (6x floats + 4 bytes '0').

This applies to all interior dat-files (CT, CR, RR).

cgjimeneza
06-22-08, 07:40 PM
I want a captains quarters. Then I can mod in pictures of my wife and kids. :D

Neat... that would show them that we care.... (they might tink otherwise sometimes maybe based on the amount of time we sink into our boats)...and installing an aditional red lighting to the room our pc is in.. and the pac and atlantic charts on the walls.... LOL... I even once had a plan of a type IX measuring 2 mts by 0.90 mts pasted to the wall in front of my monitor... (and still have a pict of sir Winston Churchill looking down on me)... but they do prefer it to our spending our money/time on strip bars ja ja ja

And I seem to recall that on the pre-marital course that the church had us take before acepting to marry us, they kind-of-mentioned that good husbands are allowed a new video card once every year and a new CPU once every three years LOL

Gotmilk
06-23-08, 10:05 AM
Subsim community is the smartest game community on earth. Way to go to mod this game. Adding captain cabin would be my long dream come true. You probably dont need my help but if you ever need someone to help out in modelling then i would gladly help out :D

Xantrokoles
06-23-08, 02:37 PM
Have you guys mentioned the dieselroom? (IMO the most important room)
I never found an animation which is working continious or working during running the machines, exept the hardcoded propellers.
I think without an diesel animation and sitting/sleeping crew this is useless:roll:

Xantrokoles
06-23-08, 03:22 PM
You could make keyframe animation for each inlet/exhaust valves (I think that the only visible moving part) and add a sound to the engine, the problem is, how to stop both sound & anim when submerged ?
Sleeping crewmen would be easy enough I think, with a snorting sound :D

ROFL thats a great idea..
But it is poor, that we can kill the engine of a car, but not a '3D engine'

Maybe someone finds a sound changer (when you are talking about texture changer)

RICH12ACE
06-28-08, 03:21 PM
hi all has any one got any pics or web links of captains cabins in the british subs? :hmm:

Madox58
06-28-08, 08:46 PM
I don't think the interiors are connected to surfaced or submurged controller?
With out that connection, you can not kill an animation.

Gotmilk
06-29-08, 07:59 AM
Hello,

If anyone is able to give me exact correct captain bunker pictures. Then i would be happy to start to model the captain bunker in 3ds Max.

Schroeder
06-29-08, 08:38 AM
Well, I think they are, because when you are submerged the guy at the plane wheel sometimes raises his finger to hush the others. So at least that guy must somehow be connected to the depth status of the sub.:hmm:

Xantrokoles
06-29-08, 09:03 AM
Well, I think they are, because when you are submerged the guy at the plane wheel sometimes raises his finger to hush the others. So at least that guy must somehow be connected to the depth status of the sub.:hmm:

Hardcoded rubish...
:/\\chop

Gotmilk
06-30-08, 11:57 AM
Hello.

Can anyone confirm any development for this mod? I am scared that this thread will die off soon. I dont want this to happen. You got the solution for "camera out of sector problem" With little more of work you can make additional rooms for the subs. Lets start from the captains bunker.

I dont care if its just "eye candy" at first. If it will be done then people like Ducimus and etc. will add additional buttons and features to new rooms sooner or later. I can almost imagine that the 3d radio with buttons to play and stop music. Or pictures where you can put your custom pictures. Use the "bed" feature to forward time and etc.

I can model the rooms. Sadly i am not familiar with coding. Basicly give me any room to model. All this mod needs is a chance. And i am willing to give a try. I belive that we could do a litte team and put some new rooms in SH4.

Dont let this mod to die.

Please.

longdog499
06-30-08, 12:48 PM
I sincerely hope you get all the support you need in this Gotmilk. There are a lot of great mods out there that add to the realism of the game, some beautiful ones that add immeasurably to the environment and sound mods that create great ambience but I think that if there's one area in which the game is lacking it is the submarine interiors. Power to you.:up:

Xantrokoles
06-30-08, 12:54 PM
Hello.

Can anyone confirm any development for this mod? I am scared that this thread will die off soon. I dont want this to happen. You got the solution for "camera out of sector problem" With little more of work you can make additional rooms for the subs. Lets start from the captains bunker.

I dont care if its just "eye candy" at first. If it will be done then people like Ducimus and etc. will add additional buttons and features to new rooms sooner or later. I can almost imagine that the 3d radio with buttons to play and stop music. Or pictures where you can put your custom pictures. Use the "bed" feature to forward time and etc.

I can model the rooms. Sadly i am not familiar with coding. Basicly give me any room to model. All this mod needs is a chance. And i am willing to give a try. I belive that we could do a litte team and put some new rooms in SH4.

Dont let this mod to die.

Please.

I recommend you to download Skwasjer's S3d.
then you export some 3d files out of the Gato interior.

After this you tell us, wether you still wanna model the rooms:smug:
When you confirm and when you made some rooms, and when you show here the results 3d rendered by the 3d program, I confirm you the community bring it into the *. dat file:up:

I am sure Skwasjer makes the camera square and there are several people who are able to bring it into the game files.

The biggest problem is finding a 3d modeler.

Gotmilk
06-30-08, 02:21 PM
Hello.

Thank you for your reply. Can you or anyone else point me to the source where i could find authentic Gato captain cabins pictures so i could use them as a reference for my 3d model.

Ducimus
06-30-08, 03:23 PM
I do not think there is any form of surfaced or submerged controller where the interior is concerned.

Where the exterior is concerned, when you create an object/node with many controllers associated to it, What order you index them, DOES matter. Just an FYI. Learned this the hard way.

Gotmilk
07-04-08, 07:11 AM
Hello.

I wanted to give a litte bump to this topic and also update my current status. I got SH addon pack today. I will try it out as soon as i get home from work. I also got some captain bunker pictures for reference.

I will start to model as soon as i get my RoboBall animation project done. I hope to release some WIP screens soon here to get feedback from you guys. Also it is gonna be a challenge to model low poly cabinet so it still would look good in game.

msalama
07-05-08, 01:31 AM
Thanks for getting yer hands dirty with this Gotmilk, we owe you one - or ten :up:

Anvart
07-05-08, 05:10 AM
You have (for this) submarine status and animation graphs (for characters) in StateMachineCtl controller ...

P.S. @Privateer ...
You have:
[Warning9]
ID=SubmarineUnderwater
and others
in Layout Warning System ..., and it's necessary to think as it to use ...