PDA

View Full Version : [TEC]- Changing the measurement values in the menu.txt file

AO1_AW_SW_USN
06-13-08, 11:54 PM
Greetings All,

I'm trying to figure out how to change the measurement values in the menu.txt file. I've added the icon and functionality of the "Weather Report" on my command bar, but it bugs the daylights out of me that the report is given to me in metric terms (ie: Winds 15 meters per second). What I'd like to accomplish is for the Weather Report to give me the standard Imperial reading. Example: "Clouds: Clear, Fog: None, Winds: 10 MPH Direction 228"

Also, I've added "Report Nearest Contact" so that my Watch Officer can give me an estimate on the closest visual contact. The problem is that the estimate is in feet, and not in yards. Since I'm not an instant calculator I'm not going to attempt to divide his figure into 3 while I have other things on my mind.

I did a little digging and noticed that the lines in the menu.txt file contains what looks like Microsoft Excel values for computing numbers (ie: %s). I ran across these values when I found the line entries for giving the player a Weather Report. I'm wondering if the game utilized MS Excel variables (or something similar) within the game?

If this is the case, what value can I use to replace the metric figures for the Weather Report and turn them into MPH, and one to change the measurement in feet to yards?

If it's not the case and it has nothing to do with the menu.txt file, then how can I go about changing the values of the variables so that they reflect standard Imperial measurements?

Thanks for any input that you may have.

-AO1

Hylander_1314
06-14-08, 02:26 PM
Yes, I'm with you on the range issue, and also another peeve is the wind speed being metric. It should be in mph, kph. Which correlates with the boats, and US Navy and Coast Guard standards for wind speed.

The watch officer should be calling out yards as that is what the guns and periscopes and tbt are calibrated to. What I've done is made myself a quick reference sheet though with the equivalents of rounded off distances, like 21,000ft is equal to 7,000yds, and so on. You can estimate from there fairly quickly.